DpupBuster CE 64 and 32 bit

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mouldy

wine64-5.0-rc1_v5.0-rc6.pet

#166 Post by mouldy »

Bionicpup on desktop was getting bit crashy, so did fresh install, this time of dpupbuster64.

Installed wine64-5.0-rc1_v5.0-rc6.pet and it actually went pretty smooth for a wine installation. I just couldnt get portable wine I had been using to work in dpupbuster64.

However my main reason to install wine is to run KindleForPC 1.17, last version Kindle that will work in WINE that I know of. It wont install. Oh everything else works and this maybe first WINE I've used that wine"ie_explorer" will actually surf. Wouldnt recommend using it, but still wasnt all crashy with errors galore like in past.

Anyway when trying to install KindleForPC117, I get this:
[root@dpupbuster64 ~/my-applications] $ wine /root/my-documents/KindleForPC117.exe
001b:err:module:load_so_dll failed to load .so lib "/usr/bin/../lib/i386-linux-gnu/wine/winebus.sys.so": libudev.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
001b:err:ntoskrnl:ZwLoadDriver failed to create driver L"\\Registry\\Machine\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\WineBus": c0000142
000f:fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"WineBus" failed to start: 1114
The Kindle installer does try to run and little popup that its getting packages ready, then crashes before it opens. Mono and gecko installed though Kindle app doesnt need them. Usually this old Kindle is one of easier apps to install and run. I did find and install 32bit libudev.so.1 but didnt help.

Like say 32bit compatibility sfs installed. Other 32bit apps I use have no problems, even one ancient solitaire game called GoldenBird from win98 era that does have problems on some versions WINE.

mouldy

#167 Post by mouldy »

I would still be curious how to make it work. But its a mute point.

I finally used package manager to install PlayOnLinux. Found instructions to modify it so it will run in root. I let it download and install 32bit WINE 2.2 and KindleForPC117. Kindle now works though GoldenBird doesnt. :( But Kindle is the important app for me. Why they make it so hard to install 32bit WINE on 64bit system is beyond me. It should just come as part of the 64bit version cause most people use WINE to run older 32bit apps I think. Least I do.

UPDATE: Been playing more with PlayOnLinux. As annoying as it can be, it has some real virtues. I found I could choose to custom install a win app, but then choose version WINE I want to use. So I told it to use 32bit WINE 5.3. It downloaded and installed 5.3, I then directed it to my copy of windows programs and installed new instance of both Kindle 117 and GoldenBird. Both worked. I tried later version Kindle but it crashed during install. WINE still hasnt caught up enough to run newer versions.

PlayOnLinux takes lot getting used to if you are used to using WINE directly. You are adding a middleman. But there is NO easier way to install WINE, especially 32bit WINE on 64bit system, the version or versions of WINE you want. No idea how well it would work on other Puppies, but well worth trying. Works great on dpupbuster64.
Last edited by mouldy on Tue 17 Mar 2020, 02:11, edited 1 time in total.

rockedge

#168 Post by rockedge »

mouldy wrote:Why they make it so hard to install 32bit WINE on 64bit system is beyond me. It should just come as part of the 64bit version cause most people use WINE to run older 32bit apps I think. Least I do.
I agree! would make total sense

jplt3

#169 Post by jplt3 »

Hi all ,

i'am about to be mad !

I want to install DpupBuster CE 64 : dpupbuster64-8.0.0-uefi-RC-2-28122019.iso

on an UEFI cheap machine :

Schneider SCL14
Processor : Intel Atom x5-Z8350
RAM : 2 Go
eMMC : 32 Go

it is a 64bit machine but the bios is a 32bit !!!

So i boot the machine via a usb key with dpupbuster64-8.0.0-uefi-RC-2-28122019 on it,
great it work quiet good .

But now how to install dpupbuster on this machine :

otherwise i have already an ubuntu 18.04 installed on it but it corrupted ! that's why i want a puppy on this machine

the harddrive :

Code: Select all

/dev/mmcblk0p1 - 512 Mo - boot,esp
/dev/mmcblk0p2 - 18 Go  -  ubuntu 18.04 
/dev/mmcblk0p3 - 10 Go  -  where i want to put my puppies
So in /dev/mmcblk0p1 i have :

EFI/boot/bootia32.efi
			  bootia64.efi
efi.img
grub.cfg

grub.cfg

menuentry "DpupBuster64 8.0.0" {
set root='(hd0,3)'
linux /vmlinuz  pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck
initrd /initrd.gz
}

menuentry "Shutdown" {
	halt
}

menuentry "Reboot" {
	reboot
}
Sadly puppy_dpupbuster64_8.0.0.sfs is not found !

I really don't know what to do ?

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
IMG_20200316_1812370.jpg
(217.67 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
JpLt

mikeslr

DpupBuster CE 64 won't boot from eMMC drive

#170 Post by mikeslr »

@ jplt3,

Thought your problem looked familiar. See this thread, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 43#1050343

mouldy

#171 Post by mouldy »

Two or three years ago I bought a used Lenovo Ideapad 100s with the atom processor capable of 64bit and the 32bit bios. Cheap cause it had a hosed 32bit install of win10 on it and wouldnt run the built in win10 restore.

No problem booting linux from usb drive. I even installed some Puppy on eMMC and got it to boot. It wasnt easy, but then Puppy acted like it was running on dying hard drive, couldnt access some files, etc. Really acted wonky. I figured eMMC was dying. But I got hold of a 32bit copy win10 home (what it came with from factory so auto activated) and installed it from thumb drive via Rufus. It worked. Definitely designed for windows. Bios was UEFI only, no legacy option available.

Now also had a cheap Acer Aspire One Cloudbook. Similar but had Celeron processor and 64bit bios that did have legacy option. No problem booting and running I think Xenialpup on it with legacy option. Win10 on it would continuously lose driver for trackpad and keyboard. No idea why but it was PITA. Puppy worked with no hassles though did have to set trackpad in bios to basic. Since I had that option wasnt going to beat my head against wall setting up UEFI install Puppy. So its not really an eMMC kernel problem I think as the Acer definitely had same stupid soldered in place 32GB eMMC.

As experiment try installing Lubuntu 19.04 or whatever latest version is, see how it handles things. Lubuntu has an installer that deals with UEFI and it has apt-get which makes life whole lot easier to install stuff when experimenting.

EDIT: Oh didnt notice you have Ubuntu 18.04 on it. How well does that work?

jplt3

#172 Post by jplt3 »

@mikeslr thanks for the link i will read this
@mouldy i think that i will install lubuntu even more lighter than xubuntu and then will try to make install puppy works ... will see
JpLt

foxpup

Re: DpupBuster CE 64 won't boot from eMMC drive

#173 Post by foxpup »

mikeslr wrote:@ jplt3,

Thought your problem looked familiar. See this thread, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 43#1050343
If this is the problem, then here is the solution:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 05#1049405
You have to switch kernel, to a kernel that supports your kind of harddrive.
Barry K has some good ones.
Easy fix ;-) Let's hope this is it.

jplt3

#174 Post by jplt3 »

Why on DpupBuster CE 64 , because on bionipu64.8.0 i don't have this problem :

in firefox esr in dpupbuster sound work good but when launch my firefox 74.0 64bits NO SOUND ! :

[apulse] [error] do_connect_pcm: can't get initial hw parameters for playback device "default". Error code 1 (Operation not permitted)
[apulse] [error] do_connect_pcm: failed to open ALSA device. Apulse does no resampling or format conversion, leaving that task to ALSA plugins. Ensure that selected device is capable of playing a particular sample format at a particular rate. They have to be supported by either hardware directly, or by "plug" and "dmix" ALSA plugins which will perform required conversions on CPU.
[Child 12665, MediaDecoderStateMachine #1] WARNING: 7f16f1eca3d0 OpenCubeb() failed to init cubeb: file /builds/worker/workspace/build/src/dom/media/AudioStream.cpp, line 328
[Child 12665, MediaDecoderStateMachine #1] WARNING: Decoder=7f16ed8c5c00 [OnMediaSinkAudioError]: file /builds/worker/workspace/build/src/dom/media/MediaDecoderStateMachine.cpp, line 3710
same if i do , after install apulse :

apulse path/to/my/firefox :

[apulse] [error] do_connect_pcm: can't get initial hw parameters for playback device "default". Error code 1 (Operation not permitted)
[apulse] [error] do_connect_pcm: failed to open ALSA device. Apulse does no resampling or format conversion, leaving that task to ALSA plugins. Ensure that selected device is capable of playing a particular sample format at a particular rate. They have to be supported by either hardware directly, or by "plug" and "dmix" ALSA plugins which will perform required conversions on CPU.
[Child 20022, MediaDecoderStateMachine #1] WARNING: 7f61bd6d6230 OpenCubeb() failed to init cubeb: file /builds/worker/workspace/build/src/dom/media/AudioStream.cpp, line 328
[Child 20022, MediaDecoderStateMachine #1] WARNING: Decoder=7f61bd4f2800 [OnMediaSinkAudioError]: file /builds/worker/workspace/build/src/dom/media/MediaDecoderStateMachine.cpp, line 3710
[Child 20022, MediaDecoderStateMachine #1] WARNING: Decoder=7f61bd4f2800 Decode error: NS_ERROR_DOM_MEDIA_MEDIASINK_ERR (0x806e000b) - OnMediaSinkAudioError: file /builds/worker/workspace/build/src/dom/media/MediaDecoderStateMachine.cpp, line 3358
JpLt

rcrsn51

#175 Post by rcrsn51 »

Open a terminal and run: alsamixer

This should open your default audio device. Does it look OK?

jplt3

#176 Post by jplt3 »

I think so
Attachments
amixer.png
(49.01 KiB) Downloaded 531 times
JpLt

rcrsn51

#177 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have a machine with ALC269VC audio (almost like yours).

I ran the Buster Starter Kit with the latest Firefox v74 and apulse.

Audio worked fine. So I don't know why your situation would be different.

We appear to have the same version of ALSA.

jplt3

#178 Post by jplt3 »

@rcrsn51

I resolve my problem :

i have a portable firefox profile :

#!/bin/sh
LAUNCHDIR="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LAUNCHDIR/:$LAUNCHDIR/extralibs${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH} "$LAUNCHDIR/firefox" "$@" -profile "$LAUNCHDIR/profile/myprofile.default"
i download a new version of firefox and the sound work well now .

I think that someting gone wrong after multiple updates of firefox himself !
JpLt

lvds

Teamviewer

#179 Post by lvds »

Hi everyone,

I have hard time at installing the latest teamviewer in Dpup 64 8.00 XFCE, it seems to me I tried all the alternatives (apt, .deb or pet package, etc...) but teamviewer always crash and refuse to load. Maybe I messed up something in my setup.

Please, can someone help me and post a step by step "how to" install the latest teamviewer and have it run fine ? This tool is critical to have with the current corona covid-19 crisis and is an absolute need. Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide :-)

Kind regards,
Laurent.

rcrsn51

#180 Post by rcrsn51 »

The new versions of TeamViewer are designed to work in a full Linux like Ubuntu or Mint. They may be your best choice.

In particular, TV needs systemd and a login manager.

But I can get TeamViewer15 to work in the Stretch-Live Starter Kit using the instructions here (but not Buster).

-TDRR-

#181 Post by -TDRR- »

I'm a bit confused by this, I downloaded the 64bit version, but this doesn't really work nice with 32bit programs and I don't need the 64bit support anyways.

So now I'm gonna get the 32bit version, but the size difference is pretty large (64bit RC1 UEFI is 386MB, but 32bit-NoPAE is 408MB). More or less what I want to know is if it includes the same interface and mostly the same programs as the dpupbuster64-8.0.0-uefi-RC-1-07092019.iso one did, so I can know if the slow download is gonna be worth the wait.

I really enjoy how pretty the interface in DPupBuster is + the change from ROX-filer to PCManFM., and would love to pair it with Wine-Portable to get a fairly small (Which wouldn't be very good with 32-bit compat libs) but clean and easy to use puplet, even for "Windows refugees".

TL;DR: Is the 32 bit version essentially the same as dpupbuster64-8.0.0-uefi-RC-1-07092019.iso but in 64 bit and with a couple new additions (considering the amount of time and filesize increase between them)?

01101001b

#182 Post by 01101001b »

-TDRR- wrote:I'm a bit confused by this, I downloaded the 64bit version, but this doesn't really work nice with 32bit programs
Hi! Question: Did you load this module (32bit_compatibilty_dpupbuster64.sfs)?

linux28

#183 Post by linux28 »

Conky cannot be transparent and has black borders

ETP

Still Testing: - dpupbuster64-8.0.0-uefi-RC-1 issued 7th Sep

#184 Post by ETP »

Two further short test videos have been added at the bottom of the test album.
Any or all of the videos in the album may be downloaded.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/spuoAuu5bXgEZzXp9
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

gychang

Re: libreOffice-6.3.3

#185 Post by gychang »

josejp2424 wrote:LibreOffice 6.3.3

Download LibreOffice-6.3.3

MD5
# 7fc618db3440438a9b3dacfeb6c4cc8e

locales libreoffice-= ar - ca - es - fr - hu - it - ja - ru - zh_CN
is there a 32bit?
---
trying to learn puppylinux... :D