BusterPup 8.0 CE (Beta-1)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Terry H

#76 Post by Terry H »

radky wrote:sheldonisaac wrote:
I just put Disco Dingo on the primary drive, did grub4dosconfig, and rebooted. All looked quite normal. I don't fully understand what foxpup was saying,
In BusterPup Beta-1, foxpup describes a normal boot sequence when he utilizes a pendrive and grub4dos with 'one' or 'multiple' pupsave files.

However, with recent iterations of the 4.19.X kernel, when foxpup boots his SSD drive (SAMSUNG MZYTY256) with EFI/grub2 and multiple pupsaves, the usual list of selectable pupsaves does not appear on screen, so no way to choose the desired pupsave file. He has no problem when booting with EFI/grub2 and one pupsave.

Interestingly, on his EFI/grub2 installation of BusterPup with multiple pupsaves, the list of selectable pupsaves appears as expected when he boots with the Dpup Stretch 4.9.X kernel (such as 4.9.149) or with older iterations of the 4.19.X kernel (such as 4.19.26).

My current setup is a Kingston USB Flash drive with Grub Legacy, with the Buster 8.0 installation on the internal SSD. I also have a Sandisk USB Flash drive with EFI/Grub2, I added a boot stanza to the Sandisk grub.cfg and can confirm Foxpup's issues when using 4.19.X kernel. With 1 save folder there is a noticeable pause on boot with a black screen then boot was successful. I created a second save folder( duplicated / renamed existing). When i booted there was an extended pause, then i saw the select pupsave dialog, but it was bypassed and a first boot occurred with first run dialog. I retested boot to check.

I manually changed kernel to peebee's lxpup64-5.1.15 kernel. Boot was normal boot, being able to successfully select either save folder on boot without pause.

foxpup

#77 Post by foxpup »

Terry H wrote: With 1 save folder there is a noticeable pause on boot with a black screen then boot was successful.
Just my interpretation of what happens:
The 'noticeable pause' is not really a pause in the boot process, I think.
It is just the boot messages that do not appear.
In the end all messages appear at once.
The last line, from where the queue continues, is "loading kernel modules".
Loading the kernel modules seem to fix the block on the messages?

When there is some input required, the message that asks for it does not appear, so chances are you give no input or the wrong input.

Typical for this issue,
different from boot issues I may have with other Puppys (Sailor's slacko64-6.9.9.9, peebee's uPupDD, Barry's Easy ...),
is the black screen while the boot goes ahead.
These other issues are about hanging, pausing or needing a pause in the boot process.

sheldonisaac

#78 Post by sheldonisaac »

radky wrote:sheldonisaac wrote:
I just put Disco Dingo on the primary drive, did grub4dosconfig, and rebooted. All looked quite normal. I don't fully understand what foxpup was saying,
In BusterPup Beta-1, foxpup describes a normal boot sequence when he utilizes a pendrive and grub4dos with 'one' or 'multiple' pupsave files.

However, with recent iterations of the 4.19.X kernel, when foxpup boots his SSD drive (SAMSUNG MZYTY256) with EFI/grub2 and multiple pupsaves, the usual list of selectable pupsaves does not appear on screen, so no way to choose the desired pupsave file. He has no problem when booting with EFI/grub2 and one pupsave.

Interestingly, on his EFI/grub2 installation of BusterPup with multiple pupsaves, the list of selectable pupsaves appears as expected when he boots with the Dpup Stretch 4.9.X kernel (such as 4.9.149) or with older iterations of the 4.19.X kernel (such as 4.19.26).
Ah, thanks, radky; and Terry H and foxpup. I'll stand on the 'sidelines', and hope to see that the problems are solved.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

darry19662018

#79 Post by darry19662018 »

This is a really great Pup in the tradition of Stretch before it and is a great base for my projects - thank you Radky.:)
Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]

jrb

libLLVM-3.9.so.1?

#80 Post by jrb »

Hi radky, Let me start by congratulating you on a very impressive Pup. I have barely begun to use it but everything has worked flawlessly so far. I'm a puppy traditionalist, JWM and ROX, and I'm also a 32bit fan so this is MUCH APPRECIATED! :D

I'm also a fan of small ISO's so one of the first things I do is use GdMap to look at the large files. I notice that not only do you have /usr/lib/libLLVM-7.so.1 (53M) but you also have /usr/lib/libLLVM-3.9.so.1 (48M). I believe the latter is from Stretch. Was this intentional? I couldn't find it listed in DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS, woof-installed-packages or builtin_files. Just wondering why it's there.

Thanks for your great work, J

radky

#81 Post by radky »

foxpup and Terry H,

Thanks for your input concerning booting issues with EFI/Grub2.

Hopefully, a solution will be available soon.

darry19662018 wrote:
...great base for my projects.
Thanks! Keep in mind, Debian will provide long-term package support for the next five years.

---

jrb wrote:
(In Beta-1), I notice that not only do you have /usr/lib/libLLVM-7.so.1 (53M) but you also have /usr/lib/libLLVM-3.9.so.1 (48M).
Oops! Will adjust for Beta-2.

Thanks jrb! Your comments are much appreciated.
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

Terry H

System Notification has separated from lower tray

#82 Post by Terry H »

OK, this is a strange one. Logged into Buster 8.0 with FbBox and there was a unnamed window at the top right of the screen, which contains what is normally the System Notification Tray plugin from the lower panel when running FbBox. Reboot without saving this window remained.

I have changed to JWM all is OK, but when I return to FbBox the window is still there. I have tried using fbpanel configuration to remove and then reinstate the notification plugin. When the Panel Notification is set to false, the window disappears, but then the clock is removed from the panel and placed in a window in the middle of the screen. When is reset the notification plugin to true the clock returns to the panel, but the other window returns.

I have also tried changing Notification apps to see if that helps,but it only adjusts the items in the unnamed window.

My previous use of Busterpup 8.0 was uneventful and no indication of any error on shutdown.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(178.68 KiB) Downloaded 815 times

radky

#83 Post by radky »

Terry H wrote:
OK, this is a strange one. Logged into Buster 8.0 with FbBox and there was a unnamed window at the top right of the screen, which contains what is normally the System Notification Tray plugin from the lower panel when running FbBox.
Terry,

I'm currently testing FbBox in BusterPup and, at the moment, I can't reproduce your findings.

1 - Any errors in xerrs.log?

2 - Any new or unusual apps currently running when you see the unnamed window?

3 - For any active panel (Main, Accessory, SysInfoBar) make sure you have 'Identify panel as a dock' set to true.

4 - When fbpanel is restarted or refreshed, we could 'allow the dust to settle' by increasing the sleep value before apps are called to the notification tray. Go to line 4574 of /usr/sbin/pfbpanel and increase the sleep value to 2 seconds.

Thanks
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

tallboy

#84 Post by tallboy »

It looks like the tray, usually positioned along the lower right side of the screen. Open the JWMDeskManager, and take a look at your settings for the tray. Remember to run jwm -restart after any modifications. Then start FBBox.
I also experienced som strange behaviour at a time, when the Compatibility section in the ROX-filer options were set inncorrect by mistake. It took me days to find the culprit!
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Terry H

#85 Post by Terry H »

radky wrote: Terry,

I'm currently testing FbBox in BusterPup and, at the moment, I can't reproduce your findings.
1 - Any errors in xerrs.log?

No

2 - Any new or unusual apps currently running when you see the unnamed window?

- > No additional installed software. I had only changed kernel, but had several boots/reboots prior to issue occurring

3 - For any active panel (Main, Accessory, SysInfoBar) make sure you have 'Identify panel as a dock' set to true.

- > Confirmed setting.

4 - When fbpanel is restarted or refreshed, we could 'allow the dust to settle' by increasing the sleep value before apps are called to the notification tray. Go to line 4574 of /usr/sbin/pfbpanel and increase the sleep value to 2 seconds.

- > Changed sleep value as suggested, the panel plugin now rendered correctly as part of panel. Changed sleep value back to 1, the panel plugins are now being applied correctly as it usually had been for all the time I have been using fbpanel. What ever was causing the problem now corrected.

Thanks for the quick response and solution.

@tallboy, thanks for your suggestion, not required this time but noted.

mikeslr

FbBox's System Information Bar

#86 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Terry,

FbBox Configuration Manager has a toggle which will turn "System Information Bar" on or off depending whether the True or False box for System Information Panel is checked.

Menu>System>FbBox Control Center, Click Fbpanel Config, Click Desktop in the Left Panel, System Information Bar is the bottom (3rd from top) listing under "Panel Bars".

When it's displayed, clicking the "Box" at the bottom of this "Bar" brings up a panel for configuring it, its location, and what it displays. Lots of nice "Widgets". An adequate replacement for pwidget.

Originally, I "discovered" the "Bar" as a work-around to display the time. Having changed the color of the taskbar, I was having difficulty setting the color of the fonts for Time's dislay.

It's the only thing I miss running radky's jwm desktop on 64-bit Puppies since pwidget doesn't work under them.

foxpup

no intel gc

#87 Post by foxpup »

I have tried Buster now on an older laptop, Vostro1510 centrino, cpu T5670, with bios from 2008 and GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics.
Buster automatically chooses vesa, which is nice on this laptop btw.
Trying to make Buster use the intel driver keeps it on command line.
I tried i915.modeset=0 as well. No luck.

Terry H

Re: FbBox's System Information Bar

#88 Post by Terry H »

mikeslr wrote:Hi Terry,

FbBox Configuration Manager has a toggle which will turn "System Information Bar" on or off depending whether the True or False box for System Information Panel is checked.

Menu>System>FbBox Control Center, Click Fbpanel Config, Click Desktop in the Left Panel, System Information Bar is the bottom (3rd from top) listing under "Panel Bars".

When it's displayed, clicking the "Box" at the bottom of this "Bar" brings up a panel for configuring it, its location, and what it displays. Lots of nice "Widgets". An adequate replacement for pwidget.

Originally, I "discovered" the "Bar" as a work-around to display the time. Having changed the color of the taskbar, I was having difficulty setting the color of the fonts for Time's dislay.

It's the only thing I miss running radky's jwm desktop on 64-bit Puppies since pwidget doesn't work under them.

Hi Mike,
Yes sysinfo bar is one of the main reasons for me using fbBox versus jwm. The issue I had was quite odd, the Notification plugin in the main tray had somehow decided to detach itself from the tray and placed itself as a floating window. Radky's advice to change the sleep time in pfbpanel has worked.

jrb

#89 Post by jrb »

Hi again radky,
I believe I've found a problem with ROX-Filer. The "Copy" function on the right-click menu crashes with no dialog box appearing when I try to copy a file or directory.

I mentioned this problem on the bionic32 thread but no one replied. It has the same rox-filer-16woodenshoe-i686_common32.pet.

I was able to fix the problem by reverting to the binary from rox-filer-15woodenshoe-i686_common32.pet

I see that your are the OP on the ROX-Filer 2.11 patched thread so hopefully you are the guy to talk to.

Cheers, J

jrb

#90 Post by jrb »

I spent a fair bit of time scratching my head trying to get feh to give conky a transparent background. :? I finally opened /usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg in mtpaint and it told me it was actually a .svg file. I converted it to an actual .jpg in mtpaint and am attaching it in case anyone else has this problem. BTW, I like the default wallpaper. :)
Attachments
buster_wallpaper1.jpg
(9.84 KiB) Downloaded 554 times
buster_desktop1.jpg
(26.88 KiB) Downloaded 565 times
default.jpg
(53.58 KiB) Downloaded 269 times

radky

#91 Post by radky »

jrb wrote:I believe I've found a problem with ROX-Filer. The "Copy" function on the right-click menu crashes with no dialog box appearing when I try to copy a file or directory.
Hi jrb,

Recently, the Puppy iteration of ROX-Filer has received many useful updates by woodenshoe-wi of Woof-CE, including modifications of the right-click 'Copy' option.

If I understand correctly, copy by 'drag and drop' functions as usual in ROX-Filer, but the copy option available in the right-click menu has changed.

Now, selecting the right-click 'Copy' option in the source window will send the selected item to the clipboard and then you select the right-click 'Paste' option in the destination window. Behavior of the old 'Copy' option of the right-click menu is now available through the 'Duplicate' option.

http://blog.puppylinux.com/puppy-specif ... ing-branch

I hope this helps! :)

jrb

#92 Post by jrb »

radky wrote:
I hope this helps! :)
Thanks for teaching an old dog a new trick. 8) Woof!

jrb

#93 Post by jrb »

OK, got another possible problem for you. Osmo doesn't start from the Personal menu or from /usr/share/applications/osmo.desktop. It will start from a console by typing "osmo" but the command in osmo.desktop is "osmo-reset" which gives "command not found" in the console. Not sure where that comes from but should be an easy fix.

Cheers, J

phat7

#94 Post by phat7 »

Switched from JWM to FbBox. File selection in rox is buggy. When I ctrl-click a file and move cursor key down, the clicked file remains selected and selection does not change, only active file changes (the thing with the running ants border). Sometimes cursor jumps to top of file list and continues activation from top.
Using cursor in opposite direction pressing Up key is even worse. This always opens PupSnap :cry:

In mmview the down key works but the up key also opens PupSnap

radky

#95 Post by radky »

jrb wrote:OK, got another possible problem for you. Osmo doesn't start from the Personal menu or from /usr/share/applications/osmo.desktop. It will start from a console by typing "osmo" but the command in osmo.desktop is "osmo-reset" which gives "command not found" in the console. Not sure where that comes from but should be an easy fix.J
Hi jrb,

The /usr/bin/osmo-reset script controls placement of the OSMO GUI on screen and circumvents the warning dialog which repeatedly asks if you want to continue loading osmo when another instance is already running.

In BusterPup Beta-1, osmo-reset is part of the adrv.sfs (FbBox). In Beta-2 it will be available with or without the adrv.

Thanks jrb!