Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 15 Dec 2019, 23:32
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
BusterPup 8.0 CE (Beta-1)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 8 [118 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Terry H

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul 2019, 15:34    Post subject:  

Terry H wrote:
radky wrote:

Is it possible you have a corrupt download of BusterPup?

I checked the checksum, which matched. As terminal output above, just odd that 2 desktop files and one executable won't run, but palemoon.bin executes successfully.

I'll re-download and do again.

Re-downloaded and checked md5sum which matched.

On initial boot I did same procedure as previous, selecting to run palemoon as spot on first run setup. Same errors.

Rebooted pfix=ram and didn't select to run palemoon as spot, defaultbrowser / palemoon executes correctly. So a difference between stretch 7.5 and buster 8.0 when running internet apps as spot.

Edit: Same error message returned when running from terminal: run-as-spot palemoon

Last edited by Terry H on Sat 13 Jul 2019, 16:12; edited 1 time in total
sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul 2019, 15:49    Post subject: Re: BusterPup 8.0 CE (Beta-1)
Subject description: claws-mail: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libetpan.so.20: undefined symbol: SSLv23_cl

radky wrote:
sheldonisaac wrote:
Any help will be much appreciated.
Sheldon

@Sheldon,

BusterPup has the Sylpheed email client.
However, if you prefer claws-mail, please try claws-mail_3.17.3_busterpup.pet:
http://smokey01.com/radky/Apps/claws-mail_3.17.3_busterpup.pet
Many thanks, radky! I just came home and tried this. Downloaded that claws-mail pet.
Booted BusterPup 8.0 without the savefolder.
Installed the claws-mail pet. Works well!
Later today I will boot this BusterPup, and try it again.
---------------------
Made a savefolder. claws-mail_3.17 still works well!

Thanks again.
Sheldon

Last edited by sheldonisaac on Sat 13 Jul 2019, 19:52; edited 1 time in total
ally

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul 2019, 18:45    Post subject:  

mirrored here: http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_BusterPup

Smile
radky

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul 2019, 20:12    Post subject:  

Terry H wrote:
Terry H wrote:
radky wrote:

I checked the checksum, which matched. As terminal output above, just odd that 2 desktop files and one executable won't run, but palemoon.bin executes successfully.

On initial boot I did same procedure as previous, selecting to run palemoon as spot on first run setup. Same errors.

Rebooted pfix=ram and didn't select to run palemoon as spot, defaultbrowser / palemoon executes correctly. So a difference between stretch 7.5 and buster 8.0 when running internet apps as spot.

Edit: Same error message returned when running from terminal: run-as-spot palemoon

Terry,

We could replace the /bin/su binary with a symlink to busybox.

In a terminal, execute the following three-line code, then try again to launch palemoon as spot:

Code:
cd /bin
rm -f su
ln -sf busybox su

Thanks

Terry H

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul 2019, 20:44    Post subject:  

radky wrote:
Terry H wrote:
Terry H wrote:
radky wrote:

Terry,

We could replace the /bin/su binary with a symlink to busybox.

In a terminal, execute the following three-line code, then try again to launch palemoon as spot:

Code:
cd /bin
rm -f su
ln -sf busybox su

Thanks

All OK now, palemoon is able to run as spot.

Thank you.
radky

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul 2019, 21:11    Post subject:  

musher0 wrote:
Hi radky.

Can you produce a diff, or some two-columns comparison of the main execs, between your Buster and josejp2424's? TIA. So users can readily see the difference.

On another level, I can't see the point of providing a competing new DPupBuster when an
excellent one has been published 5 months ago.

@musher0,

BusterPup is a primary Woof-CE build, not a derivative of DpupBuster, so any code similarity would be a function of Woof-CE. The base Debian binaries included in the ISO would be determined by the build recipe and by the availability of those files in the Debian repositories when Dpup is built.

My communications with josejp2424 have been very congenial, and currently his interests are directed to a 64-bit DpupBuster rather than continuing work on a 32-bit version. That seems quite reasonable to me since his DpupBuster64 is receiving considerable community support and appreciation. Smile

radky

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul 2019, 21:14    Post subject:  

sheldonisaac wrote:
Quote:
Made a savefolder. claws-mail_3.17 still works well!

Thanks for the confirmation!

---

ally wrote:
Quote:
mirrored...

Thank you ally!

---

Terry H wrote:
Quote:
All OK now, palemoon is able to run as spot.

Good news -- thanks for testing!

musher0

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul 2019, 21:53    Post subject:  

radky wrote:
musher0 wrote:
Hi radky.

Can you produce a diff, or some two-columns comparison of the main execs, between your Buster and josejp2424's? TIA. So users can readily see the difference.

On another level, I can't see the point of providing a competing new DPupBuster when an

@musher0,

BusterPup is a primary Woof-CE build, not a derivative of DpupBuster, so any code similarity would be a function of Woof-CE. The base Debian binaries included in the ISO would be determined by the build recipe and by the availability of those files in the Debian repositories when Dpup is built.

My communications with josejp2424 have been very congenial, and currently his interests are directed to a 64-bit DpupBuster rather than continuing work on a 32-bit version. That seems quite reasonable to me since his DpupBuster64 is receiving considerable community support and appreciation. Smile

Hi radky.

I'm glad josejp2424 is being diplomatic and not taking offense.

As to anybody's work on 64-bit being "reasonable", I'll take that as your personal
opinion. Thirty-two-bit PC's still have a lot of life left in them.

As to your first paragraph, my God, that is a politician's answer! Laughing Why hide behind
the woof-CE argument? Is your BusterPup providing the "same old, same old" set of
executables as regular Puppies?

If you want to keep the manifest of your BusterPup executables your trade secret, feel
free. I say that because everybody knows ( I think ) that the Woof-CE DB of
executables can be as malleable as putty. If I use the same version of woof-CE as you,
will I end up with a carbon-copy of your BusterPup? Probably not.

Also, it is my understanding that josejp2424 used another, older ( ?), woof-CE (is it the
one evolved by gposil / dejan555 for early Debian Pups ? ) to go around some errors in
the woof-CE published in Jan.-Feb. of this year. Since you are publishing a BusterPup
now, obviously those errors in the "official" woof-CE have been fixed in the meantime.
Hence the interest in your manifest of files.

Best regards.

I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul 2019, 22:19    Post subject:  

Have updated the wiki page for BusterPup 32bit.
... maybe a 64bit or even ARM version in the future ... Very Happy
http://wikka.puppylinux.com/BusterPup

More Puppy Linux?
Puppy's are Free ...

josejp2424

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul 2019, 23:10    Post subject: busterpup
Subject description: busterpup

radky wrote:
musher0 wrote:
Hi radky.

@musher0,

Right. You made contact saying you've been developing the continuation of DpupStretch.

And I replied that I would be more than happy to follow you on the development of your Buster.

Also, you're more experienced than me, and my opinion hasn't changed. Your career in Puppy Linux confirms it.

darry19662018

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jul 2019, 02:26    Post subject:
Subject description: No Scottman's Pkg

As the title says - dissapointing there is no Scottman's pkg a really good package manager. Other than that seems very stable in a very Stretch like way

https://freemedia.neocities.org/
phat7

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jul 2019, 03:55    Post subject: Re: BusterPup 8.0 CE (Beta-1)
Subject description: 12 Jul 2019

radky wrote:
With some kernels the Evdev keybindings for certain keyboards may have mapping issues in the Openbox desktop environment. For example, the PrtScr, Up and End keys may not function correctly.
Same issue in JWM. The Up key triggers JWM keyboard shortcut mapped to PrintScrn ( keycode="111").
musher0

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jul 2019, 11:22    Post subject: Re: busterpup
Subject description: busterpup

josejp2424 wrote:
radky wrote:
musher0 wrote:
Hi radky.

@musher0,

Right. You made contact saying you've been developing the continuation of DpupStretch.

And I replied that I would be more than happy to follow you on the development of your Buster.

Also, you're more experienced than me, and my opinion hasn't changed. Your career in Puppy Linux confirms it.

Your humility is commendable, josejp2424, but do not put yourself down.
Your work is and has always been on par with that of the best Puppy devs
-- and at times superior, IMO.

I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
radky

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jul 2019, 11:44    Post subject:  

phat7 wrote:
Quote:
Same issue in JWM. The Up key triggers JWM keyboard shortcut mapped to PrintScrn ( keycode="111").

The Up and Print keys function correctly for me in JWM, but for your keyboard please consider the following.

When you boot Puppy (or restart X-server), /root/.xinitrc will check and execute any valid directives in /root/.Xmodmap (if that file exists).

For example, if the Up key and Print key are mapped incorrectly for your JWM session, you could create the hidden file /root/.Xmodmap and add the following directives to switch/swap the current mapping of those keys. Then restart X-server.

keysym Print = Up
keysym Up = Print

or just run the following code in a terminal to create /root/.Xmodmap with the above directives, then restart X-server:

Code:
echo 'keysym Print = Up
keysym Up = Print' > /root/.Xmodmap

---

For more information:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xmodmap

phat7

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jul 2019, 22:49    Post subject:  

radky wrote:
For example, if the Up key and Print key are mapped incorrectly for your JWM session
I started a fresh BusterPup with all defaults untouched. I only loaded my jwm-personal file to use my usual shortcuts, but these shortcuts do not work in BusterPup because they use keycodes and keycodes in BusterPup are not mapped in the ordinary way.

BusterPup's mapping is different from anything else I have ever seen, including your Dpup Stretch.

Running xev in BusterPup:
keycode 107 (keysym 0xff61,Print)
keycode 111 (keysym 0xff52,Up)

Running xev in any other Puppy:
keycode 111 (keysym 0xff61,Print)
keycode 98 (keysym 0xff52,Up)
Page 2 of 8 [118 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: