Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 17 Nov 2019, 05:07
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
EasyDD
Page 3 of 3 [42 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
greengeek

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jul 2019, 05:55    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
But I guess you're talking about something you could literally just fire up with a single click, yes?
Yes - maybe like an sfs that loads a bunch of specific GlibC stuff somewhere in the filesystem and puts an icon on the desktop (or in /root or /home??) and the user can drag a utility or program onto that icon.

Not like a full Linux running within a VM though.

Or maybe a rightclick menu - something like "Run under GlibC 2.17"

Dreamin' on as usual...
Very Happy
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jul 2019, 07:53    Post subject:  

Regarding the problems with versions of glibc, the solution is to compile coreutils statically with musl.

A statically-linked dd will run anywhere.

I do have it, 32-bit and 64-bit, though only the 32-bit 'dd' is required, it will also run on a 64-bit OS. So you will not need two different PETs.

The problem is, I configured 'coreutils' as a single binary, with applets, such as 'dd', symlinked to it. So it is a bit big.

If there is a demand, I could configure the compile so there are separate binaries.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jul 2019, 09:06    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
Regarding the problems with versions of glibc, the solution is to compile coreutils statically with musl.

A statically-linked dd will run anywhere.

I do have it, 32-bit and 64-bit, though only the 32-bit 'dd' is required, it will also run on a 64-bit OS. So you will not need two different PETs.

The problem is, I configured 'coreutils' as a single binary, with applets, such as 'dd', symlinked to it. So it is a bit big.

If there is a demand, I could configure the compile so there are separate binaries.

That would be very much appreciated, Barry.

I know you're right about statically-linked stuff. But my normal compiling abilities are atrocious, never mind statically linked items!

I do, however, feel that this is one utility that really does belong in every Puppian's toolbox; as stated previously, I've noticed that more and more OS downloads are being provided as an .img file.....and while the 'dd' command is simple enough to run in the terminal, it's too easy for newbies to accidentally wipe things out that they never intended.

And why should newbies be excluded from the 'fun'? It'll all help to make Puppy even more accessible to more people, and, much as I like Electron-based apps, I for one would sooner use a small utility that uses only a few Kb, as opposed to nearly 100MB.

Nearly all of which is simply another separate instance of the Chromium web browser... Rolling Eyes

Mike. Wink

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul 2019, 19:49    Post subject:  

OK, here is 'dd' compiled statically with musl. It is a 32-bit x86 (i686) executable, but will also run in a 64-bit OS.

As it has the musl libc linked statically, it will run on any pup, from the earliest to the latest.

It is 142KB, remove the fake ".gz":
dd.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  dd.gz 
Filesize  141.21 KB 
Downloaded  200 Time(s) 

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jul 2019, 18:58    Post subject:  

Thanks, Barry. Very much appreciated.

Utilising the above, statically-linked dd binary, here, then, are the definitive v.4 packages for this excellent utility:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Zt0C1sxnc5nhKjIrh0_DCpkC92wcE_oH?usp=sharing

Navigate through & help yourselves. As stated by Barry, these will run on Pups of either architecture - both 32- and 64-bit. (Pointless doing an SFS when they're this small.....and the last 3 items, you simply click on them whenever you want to use them, since they unpack into /tmp for the duration.)

There's a .pet; an AppImage; a 'self-extracter'.....and a 'RoxApp'. With thanks to Fred for the use of his 'portable-creation' scripts. Smile

Enjoy.

Mike. Wink

keniv

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jul 2019, 17:38    Post subject:  

I downloaded BarryK's dd.gz, removed the fake .gz and moved it to
Code:
/my-applications/bin
It showed up as executable but on clicking on it it did not run. I tried running it in a terminal but again it did not run and the terminal gave no output.

Quote:
As it has the musl libc linked statically, it will run on any pup, from the earliest to the latest.

I tried this in lucid 5287 which was the only one of my old pups I could not get the previous version to run on. I am wondering what I've done wrong or could it be there is a reason why this version will not run on lucid either.

Regards,

Ken.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jul 2019, 23:56    Post subject:  

keniv wrote:
I downloaded BarryK's dd.gz, removed the fake .gz and moved it to
Code:
/my-applications/bin
It showed up as executable but on clicking on it it did not run. I tried running it in a terminal but again it did not run and the terminal gave no output.

Quote:

I tried this in lucid 5287 which was the only one of my old pups I could not get the previous version to run on. I am wondering what I've done wrong or could it be there is a reason why this version will not run on lucid either.

Regards,

Ken.

The only thing I did to test that it is working, is with a terminal opened where it is located:

# ./dd --help

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jul 2019, 11:47    Post subject:  

@ keniv:-

You're not quite going about things the right way, Ken. It should run in Lucid. I've recently set-up a minimal, lightweight 5287 install on a wee SanDisk flashdrive (just for the hell of it), and EasyDD runs just fine there.

Bear in mind, I'm no expert with this stuff. But, as I understand it:-

1.) Although /my-applications/bin IS one of your 'bin' directories, it's not a 'standard' 'bin' directory that would normally be searched. I guess this one is a Puppy 'special', 'cos I've never found anything like it in any other distro. Doubtless Barry would know the answer to that one better than I.

If you stick it in /bin, I guarantee you it'll work fine.....nor will it interfere with anything else.

2.) Although 'dd' IS a 'binary executable', because of its nature it doesn't 'do' anything by itself. It needs to be called via parameters.....and there's a very specific sequence for these. (This is why folks unused to it, and not well-skilled in the terminal anyway, can wreak so much unintentional damage with it.....and why Barry's script goes a long way towards simplifying its use for one of the most commonly used applications nowadays, that of writing an .img file.)

Hope that sheds a bit of light on the matter. It's kinda like Mozilla-based browsers; the bulk of the code is in libxul.so., all 45-50 MB of it. The 'firefox' ('palemoon', 'seamonkey', etc) binary is a tiny thing - only a couple of 100 kb at most. This is what calls the contents of libxul.so, and sets things into motion.

But if you click directly on libxul.so yourself, all that happens is you get an error message come up about it being a 'shared library', rather than a binary executable.

"No run action specified for files of this type (application/x-shared lib)..."

Mike. Wink

keniv

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jul 2019, 15:21    Post subject:  

@ BarryK and Mike Walsh,
Thanks to you both for your help with this. I got it to work by placing dd in /bin, opening a terminal in /bin and using Barry's
Code:
./dd --help
However, it seemed that this was a command line version and as I said in an earlier post, I am a bit nervous of using dd from the command line given the possible damage I could do if I get it wrong. Then I saw Mike's link in a previous post.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Zt0C1sxnc5nhKjIrh0_DCpkC92wcE_oH?usp=sharing.
I downloaded easydd-v4 from this. I'm now pleased to report that I have a gui version of dd working in lucid 5287.

Regards,

Ken.
Keef

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jul 2019, 18:00    Post subject:  

Just for reference, ~/my-applications/bin is in Puppy's 'PATH' (any directories where binaries are expected to run from).
You don't need to go to the directory of a binary in the PATH, just type it's name in a terminal launched anywhere - eg dd not ./dd.
You only need ./ to run something from the current directory (the one you launched the terminal from).
To find out what is in the 'PATH' on your system, type
Code:
echo $PATH

On Lucid this will produce something like:
Code:
/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R7/bin:/root/my-applications/bin

Some .deb games install to /usr/games for example, so won't run from the menu entry under Puppy. A symlink to /usr/bin will solve it, or open a terminal and use the full path e.g.
/usr/games/whatever_game_it_is

The PATH can be changed or added to, but I'll leave it at that for now.
keniv

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jul 2019, 16:02    Post subject:  

@Keef
I did try just using "dd" but it did not work. I put dd both in /bin and /usr/ bin. I tried a couple of ways of running it in a terminal in the directory in which I placed dd. One was, I think, right click>window>open terminal here then running dd. Another was using cd /bin or cd /usr/bin then running dd. The last was to use the the full path i.e. /bin/dd or /usr/bin/dd. None of these worked and gave no terminal output and I was not sure why. I tried the first method with Barry's ./dd --help and this did work as it gave a help like output.
However, I'm happier with the gui version I now have working.

Regards,
I
Ken.
bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jul 2019, 05:08    Post subject:  

I used EasyDD_v.3-amd64.pet
Also used EasyDD-v.4_static-noarch.pet

I installed a Slacko64-6.3.2-uefi.iso

Had to change .iso to .img on the end of the file name.

EasyDD did a good install to a USB flash drive.

Booting and using it to post this.

So, seems you can use EasyDD to install a Puppy version iso.

However, this turns the USB flash drive into a read only device (like a live CD), formatted with an iso9660 filesystem.
You cannot add or write anything new to the flash drive.
Cannot put the puppysave on the USB flash drive.

Page 3 of 3 [42 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
Jump to: