Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 14 Nov 2019, 21:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
EasyDD
Page 2 of 3 [42 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jun 2019, 18:55    Post subject:  

GG:-

Here you go, Ian. Courtesy of Keef, above (thanks again, mate), here's your choice of either a .pet for EasyDD.....or a 'portable, 'self-extracter'.

The .pet, you'll need to install each session.....but you'll have a Menu entry. The portable, rename it (get rid of the fake .gz), and just click on it. With these things, you can keep 'em on a USB stick, and simply plug it in when you want to use 'em. It's the one I'd recommend.

I've just tested these on a pristine 560, and both work flawlessly. All credit to Keef, of course.....there can't be too many folks who decide to compile the whole of the GNU core-utils package because they're bored..! Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------

This isn't just for your benefit, you know. My go-anywhere Puppy, which lives on a 128 GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Blade', is Slacko 560.....chosen for its stability. It's on such a large drive because I have a copy of a fair bit of my personal stuff (music, pix etc.), plus a good selection of movies for when I find myself at a loose end.....

I haven't booted into it for a couple of months; I need to update some other stuff anyway, so this'll get added into the 'mix' at the same time.

Enjoy. Gawd, we look after you, don't we? Laughing Laughing

Mike. Wink
EasyDD_s560-portable32.gz
Description  EasyDD portable' for Slacko 560. Remove the fake .gz, and click-to-run from anywhere....
gz

Download 
Filename  EasyDD_s560-portable32.gz 
Filesize  51.39 KB 
Downloaded  70 Time(s) 
EasyDD_v.3_s560-i686.pet
Description  EasyDD .pet for Slacko 560
pet

Download 
Filename  EasyDD_v.3_s560-i686.pet 
Filesize  54.53 KB 
Downloaded  75 Time(s) 
keniv

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jul 2019, 11:02    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
@ keniv:-

Glad to hear it's working for you. And, yes; I think Lucid's glibc will be too old for that specific 'dd' file, since Xenial uses 2.23, I believe. Actually, I'm surprised it's working for you in Racy; in my case, I'm not surprised, since I have Battleshooter's 'glibc-2.20 upgrade' he put together for Racy/Saluki some years ago, so's I could use Chrome....

I have glibc-2.20 main C lib installed though I'm now not sure why. I guess it's this that gets easydd working for me in racy 5.5. I also have glibc219_runtime-lucid-20171103 but this was installed to get palemoon to work.

Regards,

Ken.
greengeek

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jul 2019, 04:27    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Here you go, Ian. Courtesy of Keef, above (thanks again, mate), here's your choice of either a .pet for EasyDD.....or a 'portable, 'self-extracter'.
Enjoy. Gawd, we look after you, don't we?
Champion!! Thanks Mike and Keef. I will be using the pet version - the menu is handy and i like to install software just for the session I am currently running then it gets dumped at shutdown.

With portables i always worry about remnants of caches etc left on the drive containing the utility - but with freshly loaded pets I know its all running in RAM and everything is vaporised at poweroff.

Awesome that it works with a pristine Slacko 5.6 - to me that is a great test of a utility being well crafted. Many thanks for the effort!

In appreciation I have attached a virtual champers and also a fine red if you prefer.

Cheers!
champers2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   21.44 KB
 Viewed   247 Time(s)

champers2.jpg

nice_red.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   7.17 KB
 Viewed   249 Time(s)

nice_red.jpg

zagreb999

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jul 2019, 05:49    Post subject:  

mike,
can you make also
for debiandog and
stretchdog...?

thanks!
zagreb999

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jul 2019, 05:54    Post subject:  

mike,
it works!
great job!

thanks!
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jul 2019, 06:33    Post subject:  

zagreb999 wrote:
mike,
can you make also
for debiandog and
stretchdog...?

thanks!

@ zagreb999:-

Um; I don't think I can. I don't know the first thing about building .deb packages - all that 'postinst', 'postrm', 'control' (you know, the stuff that a properly-crafted .deb package insists on). I don't think there is a '.deb-builder' utility that works in Puppy, is there? Unless somebody can point me towards one.....

Won't .pets install in the 'Dogs? (If not, I'm sure Fred can knock one up for the 'Dog' users among us...it's only packaging protocols, after all; the actual 'contents' remain the same.)

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 02 Jul 2019, 06:51; edited 1 time in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jul 2019, 06:47    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:
Enjoy. Gawd, we look after you, don't we?
Champion!! Thanks Mike and Keef. I will be using the pet version - the menu is handy and i like to install software just for the session I am currently running then it gets dumped at shutdown.

With portables i always worry about remnants of caches etc left on the drive containing the utility - but with freshly loaded pets I know its all running in RAM and everything is vaporised at poweroff.

Awesome that it works with a pristine Slacko 5.6 - to me that is a great test of a utility being well crafted. Many thanks for the effort!

In appreciation I have attached a virtual champers and also a fine red if you prefer.

Cheers!

(*takes a DEEP breath.....*)

Hurrah!! He's happy at last..... Ain't it great what a community will do for each other? Very Happy

Like I said, I'm using this one myself anyway, so it wasn't entirely 'one-sided'. And it fixes a problem for me, too, since I've tried to get Etcher working on & off for the last 2 or 3 years. I like to try out the ChromiumOS builds from Arnold the Bat, from time to time.....and these are always in the form of an .img file.

Now, with EasyDD, I'm a happy bunny. And a couple hundred kb is infinitely preferable to an Electron app's 80-100 MB+, wouldn't you say?

(Like I said to Keef, I'd considered compiling core-utils n 560 myself, but my compiling skills are atrocious. Oh, I've had the occasional success here & there, but usually easy items, where somebody else has provided the 'recipe', or there haven't been much in the way of parameters required. I don't know how you'd go about doing something like the core-utils package, where it's critical to get things just right....)

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jul 2019, 07:01    Post subject:  

keniv wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:
@ keniv:-

Glad to hear it's working for you. And, yes; I think Lucid's glibc will be too old for that specific 'dd' file, since Xenial uses 2.23, I believe. Actually, I'm surprised it's working for you in Racy; in my case, I'm not surprised, since I have Battleshooter's 'glibc-2.20 upgrade' he put together for Racy/Saluki some years ago, so's I could use Chrome....

I have glibc-2.20 main C lib installed though I'm now not sure why. I guess it's this that gets easydd working for me in racy 5.5. I also have glibc219_runtime-lucid-20171103 but this was installed to get palemoon to work.

Regards,

Ken.

@ Ken:-

Yeah, I think you've hit the nail on the head there, mate. I'm sure it wouldn't have worked in Racy for me either, if I hadn't already performed the 'transplant'.

Anyway; hope ya find it useful. Enjoy.

Mike. Wink

zagreb999

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jul 2019, 07:03    Post subject:  

mike, thanks
it works

but, when we have
partitions- to be possible
to install on one partition
on hard disk?
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jul 2019, 07:31    Post subject:  

@ zagreb999:-

Um. i don't think 'dd' works like that. It seems to be set up to install to a drive, rather than a partition.....because an .img file usually contains formatting instructions as well.

I really can't answer that. All I've done here is the packaging; I'm no expert on how dd actually works, I'm afraid...

There must be more information on-line, I would think.

Mike. Wink

Keef

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jul 2019, 14:45    Post subject:  

There is very readable article about dd here, at opensource.com.
keniv

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jul 2019, 10:17    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,
Just did a proper test with easydd. I wrote the .img of the new raspbian buster to an sd card then booted my rasp pi 3b+ with it. I'm posting from it now. I used the copy of easydd I've got on racy55. Good it works with these older pets. I've used dd from the command line before but this was to write zeros to a disc to wipe it and even then I checked about three times before pressing enter. The Gui gives a bit more confidence for some reason.

Regards,

Ken.
watchdog

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul 2019, 00:13    Post subject:  

keniv wrote:
I also have glibc219_runtime-lucid-20171103 but this was installed to get palemoon to work.

I have an old laptop with a very old linux mint install which is seldom used by my wife as not administrator user. The last browser working on it was firefox 45. Yesterday I managed to install in the old linux mint install the latest palemoon using the glibc219 tweak. My wife will be using her laptop as usual without having to learn a new OS.
greengeek

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jul 2019, 02:49    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
Yesterday I managed to install in the old linux mint install the latest palemoon using the glibc219 tweak. .
Makes me wonder if Puppy could have a "virtual" directory which acts like a Qemu or Wine style environment and the user could just drop in any recent program like a browser or utility like easyDD - and the whole directory would be like a "preload" environment primed with the appropriate $LD_LIBRARY_PATH stuff.

Recompiling dd just seems too easy Twisted Evil
(thanks keef!!) Smile
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jul 2019, 05:22    Post subject:  

@ GG:-

Sounds like a project for somebody. (Not me, though; way beyond my remit..! Laughing

Only snag with that is it would have to be like WINE itself, i.e., you'd need a full complement of libs, system directories, etc. Like WINE is a 'full' copy of Windoze, this would need to be a 'full' Linux OS. But I guess you're talking about something you could literally just fire up with a single click, yes?

Mike. Wink

Page 2 of 3 [42 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
Jump to: