Google takes action against deceptive Chrome extensions

For discussions about security.
labbe5

Google takes action against deceptive Chrome extensions

#1 Post by labbe5 »

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/31/googl ... allations/

Google wants to do more against deceptive Chrome extension installations; the company announced a number of changes that it hopes will reduce the number of deceptive installations starting July 1, 2019.

Google notes that the previous changes dropped complaints about unwanted extension installations by 18%. The company hopes that the newly announced changes will reduce the number of users affected by deceptive installations further.

The changes will go live on July 1st, 2019. Google plans to remove extensions from the Chrome Web Store if they violate these new policies. The action that Google will take may differ depending on the "egregiousness of the deceptive behavior". It may include immediate removal from the Chrome Web Store and disabling on user systems or a warning email instead.

8Geee

#2 Post by 8Geee »

100% Inspection/compliance. So what if it takes a month, it better than rouge-warez. Besides, if the browser is built properly, half of the add-ons aren't needed. Of the remaining half. most of those tap the binaries/blobs within... thats just the devil's playground.

Poor design, poor execution, poor end-user!

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

8Geee wrote:100% Inspection/compliance. So what if it takes a month, it better than rouge-warez. Besides, if the browser is built properly, half of the add-ons aren't needed. Of the remaining half. most of those tap the binaries/blobs within... thats just the devil's playground.

Poor design, poor execution, poor end-user!

Regards
8Geee
Well, whatever else you say/do, don't try and tell me that Firefox 'ticks all the boxes'.....because it doesn't. Not by a long chalk.

Mind you, I'll not turn this into a 'what's your favourite browser and why', type of thread, because although I've used Chrome since day one - and still do - I've returned to the fold since Quantum was released last year. It's that good.

It's got so I don't really care which one I use nowadays.....and that includes PaleMoon (which is actually getting more use than all the others together, this last couple of months).

All browsers have their faults. None of 'em are perfect.....I guess it all boils down to what faults you're prepared to tolerate/live with.

Mike. :wink:

8Geee

#4 Post by 8Geee »

I wouldn't compare evil1 and evil2 with evil3.
But all 3 have decided not to inspect or verify... just put it out there, we're all one big trustworthy family, right?

Thus the mess.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."