Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 12 Nov 2019, 20:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
DevuanDog 'beowulf' build system
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 2 of 5 [66 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Author Message
darry19662018

Joined: 31 Mar 2018
Posts: 643
Location: Rakaia

PostPosted: Sun 12 May 2019, 14:54    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Thanks all for testing !

darry19662018 wrote:
I went to Linuxbbq's sourceforge site and downloaded one of the nox iso's and installed it because the install script is commandline. Installed a simple JWM setup then changed my apt sources list to Devuan and upgraded it to a Devuan system from what had been a Debian Jessie system.
Ran Fred's script and made an ISO - bliss

Looks like there's a misunderstanding. Why you upgraded to Devuan on Linuxbbq ?
The build system should work on Jessie too (or doesn't for you ?)
And when you say "script" you mean the bare script or the appimage ?



Devuan Jessie was what I upgraded to. Used App Image.

_________________
Puppy Linux Wiki: http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage

https://freemedia.neocities.org/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
musher0

Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 14451
Location: Gatineau (Qc), Canada

PostPosted: Thu 16 May 2019, 17:48    Post subject:  

Hi Fredx181.

Could one use a similar script or set of scripts to build a Sid Dog? Then the user
would have the latest versions of pretty much everything on his distro.

Some may fear the "unstable" label. However, the Debian people are serious people,
they wouldn't offer anything that would be a nuisance, I think.

And it's been done before. I can't find it now, but there used to be a smallish distro
based on "Sid" ( aside from "Sid" itself ).

Just a thought. Continue the good work!

_________________
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
Je suis né pour aimer et non pas pour haïr. (Sophocle) /
I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
James C


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 6734
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Thu 16 May 2019, 19:30    Post subject:  

musher0 wrote:
Hi Fredx181.

Could one use a similar script or set of scripts to build a Sid Dog? Then the user
would have the latest versions of pretty much everything on his distro.

Some may fear the "unstable" label. However, the Debian people are serious people,
they wouldn't offer anything that would be a nuisance, I think.

And it's been done before. I can't find it now, but there used to be a smallish distro
based on "Sid" ( aside from "Sid" itself ).

Just a thought. Continue the good work!



The smallest Sid based spin I'm aware of is Vsido. Still fits on a cd at least. Fluxbox and SpaceFM.

https://vsido.org/index.php

Aptosid and Semplice are both on hiatus and Siduction is DVD sized.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
musher0

Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 14451
Location: Gatineau (Qc), Canada

PostPosted: Thu 16 May 2019, 19:53    Post subject:  

Thanks for this add'l info, James C.

Edit, a couple of hours later --
I just took VsidO for a test drive.

Were it not for pcmanfm and for the annoyance of not being root OOTB,
it would be a keeper!

But VsidO is serious competition for Puppy, folks.
Small size, nimble WM ( fluxbox ).
Add gnumeric, replace Firefox with seamonkey ( because of the html editor ),
replace pcmanfm with ROX-Filer, and you've got a "quasi-Puppy".


BFN.

_________________
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
Je suis né pour aimer et non pas pour haïr. (Sophocle) /
I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
darry19662018

Joined: 31 Mar 2018
Posts: 643
Location: Rakaia

PostPosted: Fri 17 May 2019, 02:51    Post subject:  

I believe Sparky is based on Sid
https://sparkylinux.org/

_________________
Puppy Linux Wiki: http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage

https://freemedia.neocities.org/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
musher0

Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 14451
Location: Gatineau (Qc), Canada

PostPosted: Fri 17 May 2019, 04:56    Post subject:  

darry19662018 wrote:
I believe Sparky is based on Sid
https://sparkylinux.org/

What they call "minimal" is light-years away from the Puppy understanding of the word!
Like, the nerve you have to have to call an 864 Mb distro "minimal"!

_________________
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
Je suis né pour aimer et non pas pour haïr. (Sophocle) /
I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
darry19662018

Joined: 31 Mar 2018
Posts: 643
Location: Rakaia

PostPosted: Fri 17 May 2019, 05:06    Post subject:  

Yeah that is pretty big - fair enough.

I think I have outlived my welcome here. Not even using Puppy anymore.
I have been part of this community along time. It is time to move on.

I am signing out before I piss somebody else off. Signing out goodbye all.

_________________
Puppy Linux Wiki: http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage

https://freemedia.neocities.org/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 4157
Location: holland

PostPosted: Fri 17 May 2019, 11:29    Post subject:  

@Darren, sad to see you go, what happened ?!!

musher0 wrote:
Hi Fredx181.

Could one use a similar script or set of scripts to build a Sid Dog? Then the user
would have the latest versions of pretty much everything on his distro.

Some may fear the "unstable" label. However, the Debian people are serious people,
they wouldn't offer anything that would be a nuisance, I think.

And it's been done before. I can't find it now, but there used to be a smallish distro
based on "Sid" ( aside from "Sid" itself ).


Yes, it's possible, but I don't do Debian anymore because full systemd integration cannot be avoided nowadays (for buster and sid)
I was curious and made a few changes to the mklive-beowulf script to point to the Devuan unstable branch named "ceres" (which is in fact sid) and could make a successful build.
Added the kernel from ceres/sid (also aufs included)
Minimal JWM (built with DE choice Jwm. minimal) with firefox-esr and some more:
ISO, 32-bit: DevuanDog-Ceres-jwm-i386-pae.iso Size: 228MB
Md5sum: DevuanDog-Ceres-jwm-i386-pae.md5
Rox is included, but right-click actions are not full featured, for that use pcmanfm.

I'm not so sure that a build system for Sid or Ceres is a good idea, as jamesbond already said in the other thread, too many changes, daily, so things can break very easy.

Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Tinylinux blog by wiak

Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 17 May 2019, 11:35; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
musher0

Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 14451
Location: Gatineau (Qc), Canada

PostPosted: Fri 17 May 2019, 11:33    Post subject:  

Not you as in you personally, darry!

Sorry if I offended you. Bad translation. In certain contexts, and this is one of them, in
French we can use "vous" ( " you" ) as a kind of neutral, without pointing a finger at anyone

I mean the Sparky people. The nerve THEY have to call THEIR 864 Mb distro "minimal".
That's how I should have said it in the first place.

Again, sorry.

_________________
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
Je suis né pour aimer et non pas pour haïr. (Sophocle) /
I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
musher0

Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 14451
Location: Gatineau (Qc), Canada

PostPosted: Fri 17 May 2019, 11:36    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
@Darren, sad to see you go, what happened ?!!

musher0 wrote:
Hi Fredx181.

Could one use a similar script or set of scripts to build a Sid Dog? Then the user
would have the latest versions of pretty much everything on his distro.

Some may fear the "unstable" label. However, the Debian people are serious people,
they wouldn't offer anything that would be a nuisance, I think.

And it's been done before. I can't find it now, but there used to be a smallish distro
based on "Sid" ( aside from "Sid" itself ).


Yes, it's possible, but I don't do Debian anymore because full systemd integration cannot be avoided nowadays (for buster and sid)
I was curious and made a few changes to the mklive-beowulf script to point to the Devuan unstable branch named "ceres" (which is in fact sid) and could make a successful build.
Added the kernel from ceres/sid (also aufs included)
Minimal JWM (build with DE choice Jwm. minimal) with firefox-esr and some more:
ISO, 32-bit: DevuanDog-Ceres-jwm-i386-pae.iso Size: 228MB
Md5sum: DevuanDog-Ceres-jwm-i386-pae.md5
Rox is included, but right-click actions are not full featured, for that use pcmanfm.

I'm not so sure that a build system for Sid or Ceres is a good idea, as jamesbond already said in the other thread, too many changes, daily, so things can break very easy.

Fred
Thanks, Fredx181.
You're "quick on the button"! Smile
Downloading now.

_________________
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
Je suis né pour aimer et non pas pour haïr. (Sophocle) /
I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 4157
Location: holland

PostPosted: Sat 18 May 2019, 09:54    Post subject:  

New! DevuanDog "mklive-ceres" build system
The unstable branch of Devuan named “ceres” is the systemd-free version of Debian Sid.
At this point of time there's not much difference between Beowulf and Ceres because Beowulf is still the Devuan "testing" branch which is always pretty close to "unstable" (ceres), but sometime this year, I guess, beowulf will become the stable branch.

Download, see here: https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/Readme-build-devuandog-beowulf.html

Update 2019-08-07, discontinued "mklive-ceres" build system, too many issues because of the many changes in Debian Sid.

Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Tinylinux blog by wiak

Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 07 Aug 2019, 05:11; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
westwest

Joined: 10 Apr 2015
Posts: 71

PostPosted: Sat 18 May 2019, 15:51    Post subject: ceres  

Mklive-ceres64 script, choosing LXDE minimal, produced a 219mb iso.
Frugal install, apt2sfs used for VLC (which had to be patched to run as root).

Flawless distro for my purposes, much appreciated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
musher0

Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 14451
Location: Gatineau (Qc), Canada

PostPosted: Sat 18 May 2019, 17:16    Post subject: Re: ceres  

westwest wrote:
Mklive-ceres64 script, choosing LXDE minimal, produced a 219mb iso.
Frugal install, apt2sfs used for VLC (which had to be patched to run as root).

Flawless distro for my purposes, much appreciated.

Mine froze on arrival at desktop... YMMV

_________________
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
Je suis né pour aimer et non pas pour haïr. (Sophocle) /
I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
dancytron

Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Posts: 1387

PostPosted: Sat 18 May 2019, 17:35    Post subject:  

built one with ceres 64 application.

Chose "skip" and removed firefox and flashplayerchoice. Added my usual unrar dirmngr libgl1-mesa-dri mesa-utils firmware-realtek xserver-xorg-video-intel.

Got 189 meg ISO. Posting from it now. Seems stable enough.

Musher - sometimes the freezing at desktop is graphic's driver missing or needs mesa-dri (or needs mesa-dri uninstalled because driver missing).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
musher0

Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 14451
Location: Gatineau (Qc), Canada

PostPosted: Sat 18 May 2019, 17:38    Post subject:  

Thanks dancytron. Will check. TWYL.
_________________
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
Je suis né pour aimer et non pas pour haïr. (Sophocle) /
I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 5 [66 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0649s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0066s) ][ GZIP on ]