MakeMKV

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
OscarTalks

MakeMKV

#1 Post by OscarTalks »

This is MakeMKV compiled from source and working in my Dpup Stretch remaster.
Version 1.14.3
I was able to easily create a .mkv video file from a DVD

http://makemkv.com

I only have one sample Blu-ray to hand. It is supposed to handle these but mine is not recognised and I have not yet figured out why. It is also supposed to be able to read and stream Blu-ray, making it available via MPlayer or VLC fairly easily. Not something I would be doing very often but I was just curious. Anyone know any more about this?

Requires Qt (mine is built with Qt4)
Needs modprobe sg in order for the optical drive to be recognised (load sg kernel module)
For aac audio encoding, ffmpeg must be compiled with fdk-aac external library support (which I have done).
Attachments
makemkv-stretch.jpg
(52.52 KiB) Downloaded 474 times
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Oscar.

Interesting. Tell me something; any idea if this would work in reverse - to create a DVD from an .mkv file? And if so, does it have to go through all that business of creating VOB files?

Mike. :wink:

OscarTalks

#3 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Mike,

According to the general information page about MKV it appears that conversion the other way can be done fairly easily but I think this tool does not do it so you would need some other tool. I don't know much about this at all and was just having a poke around and test compiling as usual
http://makemkv.com/aboutmkv
Since all meta information is preserved in MKV and compressed media data (video, audio, subtitles) is not changed in any way it is always possible to transcode MKV files into original format. For example, MKV files produced from a Blu-ray disc may be transcoded back to a Blu-ray image or set of M2TS files without any losses by freeware transcoding tools
Oscar in England

norgo

Re: MakeMKV

#4 Post by norgo »

OscarTalks wrote: It is supposed to handle these but mine is not recognised and I have not yet figured out why.
I guess you mean "not recognised" by a standalone Bluray-Player ?

This is a little bit tricky and I can't imagine that MakeMKV contains all needed components for this.

There are plenty of conditions.
One of them is the required File System Version ( UDF 2.5 or 2.6 is mandatory )
The only application I know under linux is the CD/DVD/BD burning application nero 4.0.0.0.

For creation of BlurayDisc I'm using:

ffmpeg
x264 encoder
winff
tsMuxer
nero linux
Attachments
udf_25.jpg
UDF 2.5 or 2.6
is needed to play BD in standalone Players
(23.96 KiB) Downloaded 419 times

norgo

#5 Post by norgo »

@Mike Walsh
Mike Walsh wrote:...any idea if this would work in reverse - to create a DVD from an .mkv file?
you really want to create a PAL DVD ( 720x576 ) for standalone Player ? :shock:
many years ago I wrote this command-line to convert videos into PAL format

720x576 pixel
video mpeg2
audio mp2
scaling of video
calculate and add of black borders if needed

here it is if you are interested in:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i input.mkv -f dvd -vcodec mpeg2video -b:v 6000k -minrate 0k -maxrate 8000k -bufsize 1835k -r 25 -mbd rd -trellis 1 -flags +mv0 -cmp 0 -subcmp 2 -vf [in]pad="iw:iw*3/4:0:((iw*3/4)-ih)/2",scale="720:576"[out] -aspect 4:3 -acodec mp2 -b:a 128k -ar 48000 -ac 2 output.mpg
the result is a PAL conform mpeg2 output file

to create the DVD structure you will need a DVD authoring application like dvd-author or qdvd-author ...

Pdvdrsab should also be able to create the structure ( I've never tried Pdvdrsab, now zigbert will hit me :lol: )
open Pdvdrsab
select "Author" to create ISO or "Burn" to burn DVD
click "select a single file" and select your created output.mpg file
click "Execute"

that's all

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ norgo:-

Nero, huh? Hmm... I looked at this before, and the Linux version is only 'try or buy', isn't it? You can't get a 'permanent' free version like you can for Windows, can you?

(* Now I wonder why that is....? *)

Ve-e-ry curious. Unless NeroAG have moved to a paid model for everything now; I really couldn't say, 'cos it's years since I used it in XP.

FWIW, the Windoze version will fire up under WINE, but it's a waste of time, because it can't detect any drives. I'm guessing that's because drives in Windows have very different 'descriptors' than they do in Linux, so the app can't find what it's looking for, and throws a tantrum.....

Mike. :wink:

norgo

#7 Post by norgo »

Hello Mike

to create a DVD nero isn't needed.
I don't like proprietary software and try to avoid to use it.

In case of nero the code for permanently usage was 10 Euro when I remember correctly.

make me happy and tell me what other software is able to create UDF 2.5 file system or to author BD.
Maybe I'm not up to date ?
the Windoze version will fire up under WINE, but it's a waste of time, because it can't detect any drives. I'm guessing that's because drives in Windows have very different 'descriptors' than they do in Linux, so the app can't find what it's looking for, and throws a tantrum.....
load the kernelmodule sg and drives will appear ;-)

btw. I absolutely dislike Windows and all me computers are working under linux ( now almost 20 years )

Greetings

OscarTalks

#8 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Norgo,

I was just being curious and wondering how easy it is to play Blu-ray and convert Blu-ray to .mkv in Puppy. I had read a couple of articles about it. It is not something which I need to do urgently or expect to need to do very often. I only have one drive which is possibly faulty, these things seem to fail very easily. I am not needing to burn Blu-ray at all. The MakeMKV developers claim that it works and reports in the articles confirmed this. The libraries are supposed to deal with everything, but I think you have to keep it updated (re-compile) every month or two. Certainly you have to update the key. Usually I am happy with more conventional methods of multimedia enjoyment, but good to know that all these things are possible. Thanks for the information as always.
Oscar in England

norgo

#9 Post by norgo »

@Oscar Talks

I thought you have trouble playing the BD in a standalone player.
Playing BD's in computer device is no problem, UDF 2.01 is sufficient for this.

Would you share your MakeMKV version ?
Now I'm curious too :-)

OscarTalks

#10 Post by OscarTalks »

@Norgo

I just built the packages as described here:-
https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224

Compiled fdk-aac then latest ffmpeg 4.1.3 as static with support for libfdk-aac
Qt is needed. I already have some Qt runtime libs in my Dpup Stretch so I added the DEV packages via PPM in the build environment and the 2 MakeMKV packages compiled.

The GUI offers me transcoding of the audio (From DVD) to aac but not conversion of the video. Not sure if that can be done at the same time.
Oscar in England