Puppy 8.1

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
mistfire

#16 Post by mistfire »

Regarding UEFI install support on Puppy. There is no need to overhaul the Puppy Universal Installer script. The only part to be modified was the process where the bootloader is install. We need to create a uefi counterpart of grub4dosconfig script. Installing a bootloader in uefi was straight forward. Just put the grub efi file to /EFI/boot folder. But the tricky part was where to place grub.cfg file in order to read by the grub in uefi.

foxpup

grub-mkstandalone

#17 Post by foxpup »

mistfire wrote:But the tricky part was where to place grub.cfg file in order to read by the grub in uefi.
When you compile the grub2 efi you can give instructions where it should look for the grub.cfg.

You can make this quite complicated in grub2.
E.g. with an embedded configfile.

'grub-mkstandalone' is the tool to compile the grub2 efi.

mistfire

#18 Post by mistfire »

I think puppy must have its own custom grub efi file for easy installation of puppy in uefi

foxpup

#19 Post by foxpup »

mistfire wrote:I think puppy must have its own custom grub efi file for easy installation of puppy in uefi
It does. It is in every recent iso if you extract efi.img (with uextract).
The first grub2 efi were from Fatdog, but it is possible there have been others compiled by some devs.

I haven't managed to compile one on a Puppy. There is not enough grub2 stuff installed to do that, I think.
But I have compiled some to my liking, much like those from Fatdog, in Slackware.
Btw, Slackware does not use Secure Boot.
It doesn't matter where you get it from as long as it suits you.
Major distro's want to "maintain their grub", but Puppy just wants to keep it simple and use it as it is.
If it works, it works!

Better look to this thread for this subject:FrugalPup v15 & StickPup v15 - Puppy frugal installer.