Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 24 Aug 2019, 00:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Samba is ignoring my configuration!
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
][V][

PostPosted: Thu 25 Apr 2019, 21:47    Post subject:  Samba is ignoring my configuration!  

Hi everyone,

could someone please help me to find out if I am doing something wrong or something is wrong with "puppy bionic" and also "puppy disco"

For years I have been using puppy on an old machine (5,6.05,7.5) for a simple use, just as an server,

I have a samba configuration that was working just fine, but 2 weeks ago I wanted to try "bionic",

every thing seemed to be working fine except for 2 things,

one of them is not really important to me ("mplayer" seems not to save configuration and with every start comes with some sort of default configuration)

the other one is "samba", having exactly the same problem, I use the same configuration that was working just fine with other versions of puppy but "bionic and disco" for some reason will not keep my configuration and always uses the default "smb.conf"

This is my configuration that was working for years up to now,

smb.conf:
================================================
#this is a very simple smb.conf to get you started

#coutesy rcrsn51 and gcmartin

[global]

workgroup = WORKGROUP

netbios name = Dell

server string = Puppy Samba Server

hosts allow = ?.?.?.?/255.255.255.0, ?.?.?.?/255.255.255.0

hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0

security = user

map to guest = Bad User

name resolve order = bcast hosts wins

include = /etc/samba/smbshared.conf
===========================================================
smbshared.conf:

[Daily]
force user = root
path = /mnt/sda1/Daily
writable = yes
public = yes

[Seagate]
force user = root
path = /mnt/sdc1/Seagate
writable = yes
public = yes

[LaCie]
force user = root
path = /mnt/sdd1/LaCie
writable = yes
public = yes

==============================================================

There is numbers in the IP part and not the "?"

and don't worry about any security problem might this configuration have because this machine is been blocked from the router side not to have any connection with outside world, its just being used at home network and I am the only one at home,

now my question is, is this a flaw in "bionic" and "disco"?, should I go back to puppy 7.5 and wait until this gets fixed or,

the way "bionic" and "disco" are build is that, I have to use some sort of other configuration?

Thank you all
666philb

PostPosted: Fri 26 Apr 2019, 12:10    Post subject:  

hi ][V][,

have you tried just using menu>>network>>samba simple management to set up samba

][V][

PostPosted: Fri 26 Apr 2019, 20:13    Post subject: Samba
Subject description: Samba is ignoring my configuration!

Hi "666philb",

Thank you for your reply,

yes I did and I think "samba simple management" could possibly be the actual problem, I am not sure yet,

if samba is on and I change anything in "smb.conf", changes wont even take place, so before any change I have to turn samba off,

make all the change to smb.conf, save it, up to that point everything will go fine but as soon as I turn on samba, it will override my configuration with the default configuration,

so I have been thinking if I do all my configuration and than,

don't turn it on with "samba simple management" and try to turn on samba service from terminal to see if it is going to work but I don't know exactly, what do I have to type in terminal,

I tried smb start, smb service restart and a few other kind of command like these but did not work, so I still don't know if "samba simple management" is the problem or some thing else,

I did not get time to go online and do some research about the right command for restarting samba from terminal in puppy bionic

I could do a workaround by forgetting about my configuration and go by what samba's default offering me and than change my share to /mnt, this way I could have access to those share location that are in my configuration but,

that also means my entire laptop will be shared which in my case may not be the problem but as general rule I don't think is wise and efficient to share your entire computer

what is strange for me though is that, the exact same configuration worked nice and smooth with version 5, 6.05 and 7.5 of puppy
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: