A first look at WPS Office for 2019...

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
Mike Walsh

A first look at WPS Office for 2019...

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, kiddiwinks.

I tried out Perdido's WPS Kingsoft 'Office' packages a few weeks ago, and was quite favourably impressed. Neat, lightweight; quite good for Racy, Lucid, and similar older Pups.

I frequent OMG!Ubuntu! quite a bit; it, like several other web-sites, is often a good source of software 'inspiration'. So today, there's a review of the new version for 2019.....

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/04/wps ... -an-update

Guys, you're not gonna like this.

The .deb package (for i686, for instance) now weighs in at more than 200 MB. Installed, it's close to 850 MB. That's a fair old chunk of RAM for an office application. According to one of the commenters, the Snap package is not far off 2 GB!

Guess why?

At first glance, it appears to look just like a browser, complete with tabs and everything. In fact, the tabs are just like those of the recent Chrome GUI 'refresh'.

It turns out that a good chunk of the humungous size is accounted for by the fact that it does, indeed, now possess a built-in web browser as part of the package..!!

?????

I know 'webapps', browsers, desktop clients, etc., are now all becoming much of a muchness, but I can't help feeling this is taking 'inter-connectedness' a step too far... :roll:

Anybody else have any opinions on this? I've just d'l-ed and installed the .deb to radky's 'DPup-Stretch 7.5'; takes a wee while to get there, yet it appears to run fine. But the SIZE.....

Ouch, indeed.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 14 Apr 2019, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Is it properly entangled, so you can't strip it out?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Burn_IT

#3 Post by Burn_IT »

You can download it in two modes.
The traditional mode with the apps separated
Or
An all in one mode which includes a lot of browser like functions between the packages. I imagine this is the big one being mentioned.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

perdido

#4 Post by perdido »

I don't recommend any WPS after the 10.1.0.5705-a21 version .

I stopped updating the packages on the WPS thread in 2017 due to security concern.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 91#1004591

The newer versions got some spooky stuff going on behind the scenes.
Too bad they went that direction.

wiak

Re: A first look at WPS Office for 2019...

#5 Post by wiak »

Mike Walsh wrote:The .deb package (for i686, for instance) now weighs in at more than 200 MB. Installed, it's close to 850 MB.
I've been using 64bit version of WPS 10.1.0.5707-a21 for a long time. I don't know if that is much different from 10.1.0.5705-a21. Installed on my hard drive it (in folder of its own) takes up 531 MiB, so its pretty big anyway (the fonts alone take up 162 MiB). However, the deb for that version was only 84 MiB and it runs pretty fast and nice. Doubt I'd upgrade though, unless need some new feature to make more compatible with Microsoft files.

wiak