Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 13 Nov 2019, 04:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Why can't Firefox playback half of YT videos?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 4 [60 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
s243a

PostPosted: Fri 19 Apr 2019, 13:24    Post subject:  

nubc wrote:

@666philb & mikeslr
Why am I the guinea pig (again)? Shouldn't the developer of Tahrpup be the guinea pig? Although it's a community edition, the Ubuntu variant is a main branch of Puppy. I don't think it's expecting too much that a Puppy be able to play Youtube videos. Pale Moon is obsolete before it is published. How does that happen?

This is because it is a new issue. At the time of Tahrpup's last release this wasn't a problem. Since then youtube has added a new video formats. We can try PM'ing 666philb or reporting the issue in his bug report thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96177 (noting the fix).

However, I don't know if 666philb is supporting this version anymore. I believe his focus is on newer releases of puppy.

P.S. If your using a 32bit system I recommend dpup stretch. However, if you have an older 64bit computer that doesn't run well with newer puppies than maybe tahrpup64 is still the best option.
nubc

PostPosted: Fri 19 Apr 2019, 17:44    Post subject:  

I encountered the first video of today that gave the HTML5 error, and I refreshed the page making it inoperable. When I reported the video here, I had to revisit it again, but it played okay. Go figure.

Firefox is doing something very annoying. I normally keep 3 instances of FF on the task bar, and no more, but there may be several windows of FF in each instance of FF. When there are 8 or more windows for an instance of FF, Firefox will often generate another instance (the 4th) to represent a window that I click on. Of course, I cannot have more than 3 instances of FF, because the computer crashes. Three is maximum number of instances of FF that my computer can handle.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 19 Apr 2019, 19:17    Post subject:  

s243a wrote:
P.S. If your using a 32bit system I recommend dpup stretch. However, if you have an older 64bit computer that doesn't run well with newer puppies than maybe tahrpup64 is still the best option.

Hah.

Kinda depends on what your definition of 'older' is, I guess. For many folks, 6-7 yrs back counts as 'past it'.....

My two-penn'orth (FWIW). This Compaq Presario desktop of mine must count as one of the 'first-generation' of mass-market 64-bit computing. It uses the very processor that introduced the 'amd64' denomination to the tech world.....the AMD Athlon 64. (Admittedly, a dual-core X2 - but still first released almost 15 years ago, in Autumn 2004.)

(Nobody in their right minds will count the Intel Itaniums; they were a lost cause from the word go, 'cos they were simply too 'different'.....and Intel knew it in their heart of hearts, despite struggling on with them up until just over 18 months ago, with the final build, 'Kittson', for enterprise customers. Certainly, they didn't even make a dent in the desktop market....no developers were prepared to port the mass of existing x86 code across for them, 'cos they scheduled in an utterly different, almost 'alien' way.)

The 'integrated' graphics chip dates from the same time-frame. https://techreport.com/review/7588/ati-radeon-xpress-200-chipset The ATI Radeon XPress 200 was released all the way back in 2004, yet still gives a lovely clear, crisp image.

My point being this; despite her age, she'll happily run Bionicpup64. No doubt upgrading the factory-supplied 1 GB RAM to 3GB of the max allowable 4GB helped enormously; DDR1 here, you realise, so 4GB was the maximum any DDR1 mobo could handle.

She originally came with a 2 GHz single-core Athlon64 3200+, but I snagged the X2 on eBay for a very reasonable GBP £6.73p; I went out of my way to find a 3800+ X2, which was essentially a pair of the 3200+ single cores on the same silicon. I knew that configuration worked, so I thought I'd stick with the same. Besides which, the slightly faster 2.2 and 2.4 GHz 4200+ and 4800+ variants had mostly all been snapped up by the overclock brigade years earlier, and doubtless thrashed to within an inch of their lives.....and the few still floating around the marketplace were going for ludicrous money; £60-70 plus. For the small increase in speed, no way was it worth it.

The dual-core transformed Puppy, making her easily capable of multitasking at long last. My point being, despite being not far short of 16 yrs old, this box will still handle the newest Pups with ease.

Here endeth the lesson..... Laughing

Mike.

nubc

PostPosted: Sat 20 Apr 2019, 11:54    Post subject:  

won't play
1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHalEROIhlE
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 20 Apr 2019, 15:28    Post subject:  

I've just watched that using Fred's portable FF-Quantum, here in UPup 'Raring'. 'Louise di Tullio - Topic' - I.Allegro (moderato)? I honestly don't understand why you can't.....

Mike.

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sat 20 Apr 2019, 18:45    Post subject:  

nubc wrote:
won't play
1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHalEROIhlE

Booted a fresh Tahr-6.0.5
Tried this link in the original Palemoon 25 - did not play
Updated Palemoon to latest 28.4.1 - still did not play

Opened PPM and updated the package databases
Searched in PPM for libavcodec
Installed libavcodec-extra-54_9.20 (which was showing as not already installed)
(Some others with similar names were showing as already installed)

Above youtube link then played in Palemooon 28.4.1
It is not so much about HTML5, you also have to have the needed codecs for playback as others have been saying, H264, VP9 and stuff like that.

Also then tested and worked in Firefox 66.0.3 with libgtk-3 and apulse

nic007

PostPosted: Sat 20 Apr 2019, 20:10    Post subject:  

Deleted.
dwnld_phpbb

PostPosted: Sat 20 Apr 2019, 20:40    Post subject:  

Semme here.. Methinks our boy is on the wrong OS.

Windows, MAC or Linux?

That's right, nubc.. You NEED "point'n clk!"

You DO after all wanna be productive, right?

Knead the dough, Bro..
nic007

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr 2019, 08:26    Post subject:  

As a matter of interest - I have Precise 571 with old ffmpeg that can't play VP9. Replaced the old libavcodec (only the one file) with a newer version from a newer ffmpeg package, renamed the new file to that of the old and bingo.
nubc

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr 2019, 08:36    Post subject:  

I had Palemoon 25 and 27 on my computer. It boots as PM 25. It fails to update. I uninstalled it, but both versions still show as installed in PPM. I tried reinstalling PM 27, now it (any PM) fails to start. I am fed up with Palemoon. It has never worked. Maybe if I had a virgin tahrpup, I could get a response, I don't want to waste time on it. I don't like its custom extensions, anyway.

DPup Stretch (legacy) cannot boot this computer, a P4. Boot terminates in kernel dump.

@nic007
I've still got a Precise 571 iso. What version of FF can it do?
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr 2019, 12:48    Post subject:  

nubc wrote:
I am fed up with Palemoon.

That was why, having installed libavcodec-extra-54_9.20, I took the time to test Firefox 66.0.3 as well. That is what you said you were using and in my test it worked.

nic007

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr 2019, 13:21    Post subject:  

nubc wrote:
I had Palemoon 25 and 27 on my computer. It boots as PM 25. It fails to update. I uninstalled it, but both versions still show as installed in PPM. I tried reinstalling PM 27, now it (any PM) fails to start. I am fed up with Palemoon. It has never worked. Maybe if I had a virgin tahrpup, I could get a response, I don't want to waste time on it. I don't like its custom extensions, anyway.

DPup Stretch (legacy) cannot boot this computer, a P4. Boot terminates in kernel dump.

@nic007
I've still got a Precise 571 iso. What version of FF can it do?

Don't know. I'm using Seamonkey 2.48.
a_salty_dogg

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr 2019, 13:24    Post subject:  

@ nubc

Boot up a "virgin" copy of Precise 5.71. You can do this either by booting from a CD in RAM mode or, if you haven't got a CD drive, by simply opening up your "menu.lst" file in geany & appending
Code:
pfix=ram
to the second line (the one beginning with "kernel /Precise_5.71/vmlinuz...") of your "Precise 5.71" entry, then save, close, unmount the partition if necessary, and reboot using that entry.

Then download the latest Palemoon 32bit release, 28.4.1, from here (you will need a recent browser!), and extract all the contents of the downloaded tar.bz2 to "/opt".
If you also want to set up a menu entry, follow the instructions here.

Next open up your newly installed Palemoon and type "about:config" (note and include the colon, though without the quotation marks!) in the browser bar, accept the "I'll be careful" warning, and search for the string named
Code:
media.libavcodec.allow-obsolete;false
Double click on that line to change the "false" to "true".

Then close the tab and the browser.

Now restart Palemoon and see if your "Allegro (moderato)" video plays,

Note you could have equally performed all the above processes in a pristine install of Tahr 6.05 if you wished.

EDIT - @OscarTalks & nic007, sorry for belatedly butting in here; took me a fair while to set up and test all that in both Precise and Tahr, then type it all out! You both answered him while I was busy "fettling" it Embarassed
nubc

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr 2019, 15:22    Post subject:  

How about I unistall PM 25/27 with PPM in my current Tahrpup 605 system, then delete the PM directory in /opt, then install PM 28.4.1 as you recommend above. This PM directory contains at least three files with exclamation marks on them.
Semme

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr 2019, 15:26    Post subject:  

Hey Salty, I'll throw my wrench in -- NOT! Just kidding, Mate. Very HappyWink Carry on...
Page 3 of 4 [60 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: