Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 10 Dec 2019, 18:56
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
SeaMonkey-2.46 'portable' - and now, v2.48, too
Page 2 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct 2019, 18:33    Post subject:  

@ oui:-

It's like with most things in Linux; there's always lots of different ways of achieving the same outcome.

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose".....or words to that effect, n'est-ce pas?

It's why I like Linux so much.....because it's so versatile. You can write the most bit-perfect code, or you can throw together a quick'n'dirty, 'hacky' workaround.....and they'll both end up giving you the same result.

So which 'method' do you use, hmm? Confused

The one you're satisfied with, of course..... Very Happy Linux is far more of an individualist's OS than Windoze could ever hope to be ('cos Microsoft want to control it down to the last byte of code, yet at the same time they keep trying to make it an OS for 'everyman') - notwithstanding the efforts of certain organisations to make Linux a mirror image of Redmond's abomination (yes, I'm looking at you, Canonical).

And Puppy, as a 'hobbyist' distro, takes that 'individualism' just about as far as it possibly can. So we run as root. Big deal. So we don't use 'sudo', and log-in, and run separate user accounts. Hah. And we don't 'auto-update'. Who cares?

I think I'm probably correct in saying that while you certainly can't 'please all of the folk, all of the time', Puppy arguably manages to satisfy most folks, a majority of the time. And that's good enough for me.

Mike. Wink

oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) - 3 PC's: DELL SX280 750 MB Pentium4, Acer emachines 2 GB AMD64. DELL XPS15

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct 2019, 19:11    Post subject: Re: SeaMonkey-2.46 'portable' - and now, v2.48, too
Subject description: Portable versions of the old reliable Puppy default browser...

Hi Mike

Wink

yes, of course, but now the new question again:

oui wrote:
but...

did do try yourself same thing as

Mike Walsh wrote:
Unzip the tarball. Place the 'seamonkey32' directory anywhere you like.:

with the new seamonkey-2.49.5?

surprise, surprise...

Question
Page 2 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: