Precise-light - 17March2019 - for older hardware

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
s243a

Re: New GCC Not ready for Prime time

#461 Post by s243a »

Moose On The Loose wrote:I noticed that there appears to be others making stuff so perhaps someone can do some of the testing for me.
I got the latest GCC-10-20200202 to compile with a few manual edits.
It isn't pretty but I think it is good enough to start to use.
I have made a SFS that you can load instead of the usual "dev" SFS.
It has compiled a few things at this point and they work.
I have it uploading to my google drive as I type this.
[... waiting 12 minutes for it to finish ...]

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sKTs ... TBe6LSLa-
Does it have the glibc headers to match the version of glibc that JRB is using?
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].

s243a

#462 Post by s243a »

s243a wrote:
Here is my ~/.pkg/pkgrc file:

Code: Select all

WORKDIR=/root/pkg
REPONAME=precise-main
EX=deb
REPOFILE=Packages-ubuntu-precise-main
REPOURL1=http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
REPOURL2=http://ftp.filearena.net/pub/ubuntu/
REPOURL3=
REPOURL4=
PKGSEARCH="list_pkg_names"
PKGSEARCHEXACT="pkg -ne"
DEPSEARCH="list_all_pkg_names"
DEPSEARCHEXACT="pkg -nea"
REPOFALLBACKS="noarch jessie-tor-main precise-multiverse precise-universe precise-restricted precise-security-main precise-security-multiverse precise-security-universe precise-security-restricted precise-updates-main precise-updates-universe precise-updates-multiverse precise-updates-restricted precise-backports-main precise-backports-universe precise-backports-multiverse precise-proposed-universe "
PKGSCOPE="one"
DEPSCOPE="all"
BLEDGE="no"
RDCHECK="yes"
AUTOCLEAN="no"
BUILDTOOL=petbuild
Notice the long list of fallback repos. I'm not sure what issues using so many repos might present. Something interesting though is the following:

sandbox# /usr/sbin/pkg --names-all firefox_
firefox_11.0+build1-0ubuntu4
firefox_52.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1
also

cd /var/packages
grep -rn . -e 'firefox_52' | cut -d '|' -f1
./Packages-ubuntu-precise-security-main:245:firefox_52.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1
./Packages-ubuntu-precise-updates-main:386:firefox_52.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1
So it looks like version 52 of firefox is available in the repos precise-security-main and also in precise-updates-main. I might give installing this a try. Note that I did the above commands in a sandbox. I tested booting with my adrv yesterday. pkg wasn't working even though it was on the adrv. Tonight I realized the problem is that the following files from my adrv:

/root/.pkg/sources
/root/.pkg/sources-all
/root/.pkg/pkgrc
appear to be different than what is on my adrv after the first run of pkg. I'm guessing pkg thinks that I'm doing a new install and overwrites these files. The solution is to replace these files with those found on my adrv. Note that the last file can be generated from the previous two by doing the command:

pkg --repo precise-main
I have "precise-main" set as the default repo because I suspect that it will likely have the greatest compatibility. PKG has an environmental variable called "BLEDGE" (for bleeding-edge) that will install the newest version of the pkg from all installed repos (verify?). I haven't tested this feature.

Anyway, I'll test pkg more on precise light and also see if I can figure out why these config files are overwritten on first run.

Another oddity, with my adrv is when I boot it the prompt says "sandbox"

Notes
-----------------------
1 - the version of pkg I installed on the adrv is a fork that is part of Merge Request #72.

Edit: I created a new version of my adrv
adrv_precise_light-5.7.2.sfs(not tested yet). I was installing the portable browser in a sandbox and it complained about the architecture being 64bits. This is because the sandbox was being run in a 64bit system. I think the solution to this is to create a wrapper function for uname.
, with libc6 blacklisted and possibly the portable browser installer included.

Edit 2: I figured out why the prompt says sandbox. See post.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 61#1050261

I was able to install firefox_52.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1 with precise light running in a sandbox (using psandbox), over an ssh connection using pkg. I tested that firefox would start up properly using X11 forwarding but I didn't test it further.

pkg --repo precise-updates
pkg --get firefox_52.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1
For instructions on how to run a puppy in a sandbox over ssh see: SSH/sandbox/chroot folder

I tried rebooting with my save file and I got a kernal syncing error after selecting the save file. I think that perhaps I have to delete some files from my save folder. I think that puppies remaster script will give me clues on which files to delete.

P.S. I might re-consider the fallback order for precise-updates. I'm wondering if for precise-updates if the newer repos (e.g. precise-backports) should be checked first. Needless to say installing firefox worked with the current fallback order .

P.S. #2 The command "pkg --repo precise-updates" changes the ~/.pkg/pkgrc file to match the info about precise-updates.
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].

Moose On The Loose

Re: New GCC Not ready for Prime time

#463 Post by Moose On The Loose »

s243a wrote:
Moose On The Loose wrote:I noticed that there appears to be others making stuff so perhaps someone can do some of the testing for me.
I got the latest GCC-10-20200202 to compile with a few manual edits.
It isn't pretty but I think it is good enough to start to use.
I have made a SFS that you can load instead of the usual "dev" SFS.
It has compiled a few things at this point and they work.
I have it uploading to my google drive as I type this.
[... waiting 12 minutes for it to finish ...]

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sKTs ... TBe6LSLa-
Does it have the glibc headers to match the version of glibc that JRB is using?
This may answer your current question and some later ones:

The compile was done using the existing dev-xxxx SFS for Precise.
I then copied the contents of the dev SFS into a directory
The files generated in the compile were put in, over writing a few.
Then I made an SFS from the result.

To test I rebooted with the pfix=ram added the SFS and then compiled something.

So far my continuing tests say it is good.

Moose On The Loose

The Octave language

#464 Post by Moose On The Loose »

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ndsp ... 6ujZCP5MX

This is a down-rev version of Octave but it runs on Precise so I figured that the millions waiting to use Octave on Precise could get started with it.

For those who don't know:
Octave is a whole lot like a version of Basic where the variables hold matrixes just as easily as single values.

octave:1> X = [1, 2, 3]
X =

1   2   3

octave:2> Y = X * 7;
octave:3> Z = Y - X;
octave:4> plot(Y,Z)
octave:5> 
It has a fairly good but limited built in help.
It is very useful for doing the "one time" calculation projects that you may need to do.

theeastsun

install modem wifi

#465 Post by theeastsun »

how to install a wifi modem

perdido

Re: install modem wifi

#466 Post by perdido »

theeastsun wrote:how to install a wifi modem
Hi theeastsun,

Modem? or wifi adapter?

theeastsun

#467 Post by theeastsun »

problem solved,thanks

s243a

#468 Post by s243a »

Another package that we need to block is "upstart". This package installed via a dependency of something that I installed. It replaced the puppy script at /sbin/init

I think this is why my save file was having syncing issues on switchroot. Related packages that we might also want to block are sysv-rc and sysvinit. Both of these packages installed as a dependency but I'm not sure yet if they cause any problems.

Edit: Verified that at least one youtube video plays on firefox 52. I don't know if all youtube formats will work for me yet.
Last edited by s243a on Thu 20 Feb 2020, 06:15, edited 3 times in total.

s243a

#469 Post by s243a »

s243a wrote: I was able to install firefox_52.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1 with precise light running in a sandbox (using psandbox), over an ssh connection using pkg. I tested that firefox would start up properly using X11 forwarding but I didn't test it further.

pkg --repo precise-updates
pkg --get firefox_52.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1
For instructions on how to run a puppy in a sandbox over ssh see: SSH/sandbox/chroot folder

I tried rebooting with my save file and I got a kernal syncing error after selecting the save file. I think that perhaps I have to delete some files from my save folder. I think that puppies remaster script will give me clues on which files to delete.

P.S. I might re-consider the fallback order for precise-updates. I'm wondering if for precise-updates if the newer repos (e.g. precise-backports) should be checked first. Needless to say installing firefox worked with the current fallback order .

P.S. #2 The command "pkg --repo precise-updates" changes the ~/.pkg/pkgrc file to match the info about precise-updates.
I can verify that firefox 52 is working. I'm posting from it now. I was able to sucesfully boot the computer via the save file I created in the sandbox. The only problem, that I know about was that upstart, seems to have gotton installed as a dependecy. This overwote /sbin/init (see post)

Prior to doing this I tried some other fixes like creating a basic save file and overwriting some files based on this save file and I also tried cleaning up some stuff that I thought might be sandbox related. I don't think these failed atempts at solving my sync issue are relevant but are probably usefull for other applications so I'll post about them later.

I only so far tested firefox 52 on this forum. I'm not ready to surf the web with it yet because I don't know how god it's security is...on second thoughts, maybe I'll give youtube a try.

Edit: Verified that at least one youtube video plays on firefox 52. I don't know if all youtube formats will work for me yet. Facebook also works :)

jrb

#470 Post by jrb »

s243a wrote:I can verify that firefox 52 is working.
OK, I finally got PortaBrowseInstall up to date and working for Precise-light. The Seamonkey website had changed and the latest Firefox Quantum no longer works in Precise-light.

I rejigged things to download and install the latest Firefox ESR which is at 68.5 and Fredx181's ff32-additions.tar.gz which enables sound. The ESR's change once a year or so but for now its working quite well.

Give it a try. Let me know of any bugs. I'll include this in the next update but there are some things I want to add before then.

Enjoy, J
Attachments
PortaBrowseInstall-i386-0.5A.pet
Portable browsers for Precise-light
(21.28 KiB) Downloaded 269 times

nic007

#471 Post by nic007 »

Where can I download the small glibc2.20 package that is built into Precise Lite?

jrb

#472 Post by jrb »

nic007 wrote:Where can I download the small glibc2.20 package that is built into Precise Lite?
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... c-2.20.pet. This is one of Barry K's packages. Many thanks to him.

nic007

#473 Post by nic007 »

Thanks, jrb.

theeastsun

ask firefox

#474 Post by theeastsun »

sorry,where can i download the latest firefox pet for precise light,thanks

jrb

Re: ask firefox

#475 Post by jrb »

theeastsun wrote:sorry,where can i download the latest firefox pet for precise light,thanks
Here or direct download Here

Edit: Sorry for the brief reply, I was on my way to bed. As I mention above, at present the very latest Firefox is not working in Precise-light so I switched the PortaBrowseInstaller over to Firefox ESR which is a long term support version.

If you want a language other than English you can go to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/a ... esktop-esr and download the 32bit version in a language of your choice. You will also need:

wget --no-check-certificate "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/3rn1a4e4scmfdyv/ff32-additions.tar.gz?dl=1" -O ff32-additions.tar.gz
which is fredx181's apulse package for sound. It needs to be extracted and placed in the same folder with the Firefox files.

You could also install PortaBrowseInstaller and then modify /usr/local/PortableBrowserInstaller/ffesrportable-inst line 49. Change "FFLANG=en-US" to the language of your choice. Sorry I don't know all the language codes. PortaBrowseInstaller is on the Setup Menu.

I am presently working on getting the latest Firefox Quantum working again in Precise-light. It requires some upgrades from Tahrpup and I'm sorting that out now.

Edit2: Language codes and Firefox-esr available at https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/rel ... inux-i686/

theeastsun

ask flash player

#476 Post by theeastsun »

sorry,where can i download the latest flash player for precise light,thanks

jrb

Re: Update to Precise-light Mk2.3

#477 Post by jrb »

OK, The latest Firefox wasn't working in Precise-light so I managed to get that fixed by swapping in some Tahrpup-6.0.5 libs. :D Precise-light is even more of a mongrel now. Surprisingly the new libs make Vivaldi and Iron work as well, coincedence or conspiracy? :wink:

I've just uploaded precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso___precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.3.iso.delta - 32Mb - md5sum 875869f3cea2facb37cca052203cfded

If you have Mk2.0 just download the .delta and:
jrb wrote:Put the original precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso file and the precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso___precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.3.iso.delta file in the same directory.
Click once on the .delta file and then click "Generate" and its a done deal. 8)
Whats fixed:
  • All the previous fixes
    ca-certificates updated (eliminates need for --no-check-certificate)
    pmusic radio stations screened to include only ones that work (.mp3 $ .m3u)
    Flash Player Updater 1.9_1 working
    PortaBrowseInstall included with these latest browsers working:
    Firefox ESR
    Firefox Quantum
    Vivaldi
    Iron
    Seamonkey
    Palemoon
    Thunderbird
If you install Frisbee from PPM make sure you rename /usr/sbin/connectwizard_2nd-orig to /usr/sbin/connectwizard_2nd to put Frisbee on the connectwizard menu.

This is a MAJOR IMPROVEMENT which I hope will extend Precise-lights working life for several more years!!!

Enjoy, J

Note: Sorry no ISO upload, but it took 1 1/2 hours just to upload the .delta. Life in the bush. :roll:

jrb

Re: ask flash player

#478 Post by jrb »

theeastsun wrote:sorry,where can i download the latest flash player for precise light,thanks
I strongly suggest using the update in the post above and then going to Menu->Internet->FlashPlayerUpdater.

You could also download FlashPlayer_updater-1.9_1-Redux.pet and use it in any Puppy.

theeastsun

#479 Post by theeastsun »

jrb wrote:
Put the original precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso file and the precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso___precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.3.iso.delta file in the same directory.
Click once on the .delta file and then click "Generate" and its a done deal.

I installed via USB but failed:

could not find kernel image: vesamenu.c32

help me,thanks

jrb

#480 Post by jrb »

theeastsun wrote:jrb wrote:
Put the original precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso file and the precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso___precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.3.iso.delta file in the same directory.
Click once on the .delta file and then click "Generate" and its a done deal.

I installed via USB but failed:

could not find kernel image: vesamenu.c32

help me,thanks
Does your USB install have these files:
  • initrd.gz
    puppy_precise_light-5.7.2.sfs
    vmlinuz
    zdrv_precise_light-5.7.2.sfs
    menu.lst
menu.lst should not be in a seperate folder. The others may be.

What does your menu.lst say? Here's mine:

title 0_puptest2
  uuid 68ec550b-e5ce-477b-a83f-d275f32dfe74
  kernel /0_puptest2/vmlinuz net.ifnames=0 pdrv=68ec550b-e5ce-477b-a83f-d275f32dfe74 pmedia=ataflash psubdir=/0_puptest2 pfix=fsck
  initrd /0_puptest2/initrd.gz
Yours will be different. Please copy it and show us.