#481 Post by theeastsun »

in my flashdisk there is no menu.lst file
Attachments
Screenshot (1).png
(103.25 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

jrb

#482 Post by jrb »

theeastsun wrote:in my flashdisk there is no menu.lst file
Nice photo. It's been quite a while since I worked with syslinux. Can you post the contents of syslinux.cfg and isolinux.cfg?

theeastsun

#483 Post by theeastsun »

this is isolinux and syslinux file
Attachments
syslinux.png
(51.51 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
isolinux.png
(90.55 KiB) Downloaded 126 times

jrb

#484 Post by jrb »

jrb wrote:
theeastsun wrote:in my flashdisk there is no menu.lst file
Nice photo. It's been quite a while since I worked with syslinux. Can you post the contents of syslinux.cfg and isolinux.cfg?
I have to confess that I don't remember how I used syslinux before, :oops: its been years and even then I only did it once out of curiosity.

How did you install Puppy to your flashdrive? What operating system were you using and what program?

While in Precise_light-5.7.2 I used Menu->Setup->PuppyInstaller->UniversalInstaller->UsbFlashDrive->sdc1, formatted my usb to ext3 with Gparted and then Install_Puppy_to_sdc1. It installed the 4 main Puppy files to sdc1 and created a very simple extlinux.conf file in which I can add boot parameters. What I like most about it is you can swap in any Puppy files you choose without changing extlinux.conf. It is not Precise_light specific.

I always use Menu->Grup4dos_bootloader_config. It continues to allow me the most options and flexibility.

I see you are using a newer Windows computer. Perhaps there are problems I am unaware of. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will speak up about this.

mikeslr

#485 Post by mikeslr »

Hi theeastsun,

It's also been a while since I actually had to have functional isolinux.cfg and/or syslinux.cfg. But, I think fairly recently someone posted that however you installed Puppy to a USB-Key, when the application which created it writes "pmedia=cd" it has to be edited to read "pmedia=usbflash" [without the quotes].

I'm still blurry-eyed. But I counted four instances, all following the append arguments.

jrb

#486 Post by jrb »

mikeslr wrote:Hi theeastsun,

It's also been a while since I actually had to have functional isolinux.cfg and/or syslinux.cfg. But, I think fairly recently someone posted that however you installed Puppy to a USB-Key, when the application which created it writes "pmedia=cd" it has to be edited to read "pmedia=usbflash" [without the quotes].

I'm still blurry-eyed. But I counted four instances, all following the append arguments.
8) Obviously less blurry-eyed than me. Thanks Mike.

Smithy

#487 Post by Smithy »

Looks like the syslinux bootloader is missing.
Not sure if you have a syslinux package in Precise jrb, (I always use puppy Wheezy for that operation) but if so, then it can be accomplished by formatting the stick to fat32, checking that the boot flag is enabled via gparted, then issuing command syslinux /dev/sdb1 (or whatever the flash drive is named, MAKE SURE IT IS UNMOUNTED). Then copy the needed puppy files over to the flash drive. Hopefully UEFI doesn't get in the way.
Attachments
Idlinux missing.png
(97.19 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

theeastsun

#488 Post by theeastsun »

I have to confess that I don't remember how I used syslinux before, Embarassed its been years and even then I only did it once out of curiosity.

How did you install Puppy to your flashdrive? What operating system were you using and what program?

I attach precise to flashdisk with Rufus in Windows 8 then I want to plug it to hardik

jrb

#489 Post by jrb »

jrb wrote:While in Precise_light-5.7.2 I used Menu->Setup->PuppyInstaller->UniversalInstaller->UsbFlashDrive->sdc1, formatted my usb to ext3 with Gparted and then Install_Puppy_to_sdc1. It installed the 4 main Puppy files to sdc1 and created a very simple extlinux.conf file in which I can add boot parameters. What I like most about it is you can swap in any Puppy files you choose without changing extlinux.conf. It is not Precise_light specific.

I always use Menu->Grup4dos_bootloader_config. It continues to allow me the most options and flexibility.
Any other Puppy distro should work as well.

For installing from Windows8, you might want to ask in Beginners Help. I know nothing about Win8 or 10. There are lots of people who can help you there.

Good Luck, J

theeastsun

#490 Post by theeastsun »

I managed to install precise 5.7.1 iso via a USB flash but failed to install a non-wifi modem

MODEM NOT DETECTED

how to install a non-wifi modem,help me,thanks

rcrsn51

#491 Post by rcrsn51 »

Is this an old built-in analog modem or a USB cellular modem?

theeastsun

#492 Post by theeastsun »

usb selluar modem,help me

rcrsn51

#493 Post by rcrsn51 »

theeastsun wrote:usb selluar modem,help me
Precise-light may be too old to recognize your modem. But try this:

The usual app for a device like this would be wvdial.

Run: wvdialconf

This should create a config file where you can enter your connection info.

Then run: wvdial

Do you get a message indicating that a connection was made?

Leave the terminal window open or minimized.

Launch your web browser.

rcrsn51

#494 Post by rcrsn51 »

help me
No reply?

quirkian2new

#495 Post by quirkian2new »

I can't run Iron78 browser, even that portable one from Mike Walsh.

Dont know what libs missing.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

jrb

#496 Post by jrb »

quirkian2new wrote:I can't run Iron78 browser, even that portable one from Mike Walsh.

Dont know what libs missing.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Posting from Mike's Iron78. Use the attached .pet.

Will do an update to ISO soon.
Attachments
chrome_libs-0.1.pet
libnspr4.so libplc4.so libplds4.so
(126.36 KiB) Downloaded 180 times

jrb

Update #4

#497 Post by jrb »

I've just uploaded precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso___precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.4.iso.delta - 34Mb - md5sum 76beaa3ac825311d4014fbb658c463e3

If you have Mk2.0 just download the .delta and:
jrb wrote:Put the original precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso file and the precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso___precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.4.iso.delta file in the same directory.
Click once on the .delta file and then click "Generate" and its a done deal. 8)
Whats fixed:
  • The three missing libs mentioned in the previous post are included
    MtPaint-Snapshot for screen capture now has an icon in the jwm tray.

sindi

HP Mini 110 Precise Light 5.7.1 no ethernet wifi or install

#498 Post by sindi »

2008 (2009?) HP Mini 110 netbook with 1.6GHz CPU, 160GB SATA drive, and 1GB maximum recognizable memory. Came with working Win7 but unusably slow (takes 5-10 sec to load a program or respond to typing a URL). I disabled all the antivirus and everything possible from startup and downloaded oldest Ccleaner and ran it and defragged overnight.

Then attempted to run Precise 5.7.1 Light from flash drive, which works except no network cards are found by Peasywifi or SNS.

I tried to download XP drivers from HP but their website OS chooser goes off the bottom of the 1024x600 page.

Linux Mint supposedly has the drivers.

I shrank sda1, made extended partition and sda5 and copied Precise to it.
(I use 5.7.1 because 5.7.2 had problems such as not printing - 'sleep', and noPAE kernel 3 because it has 1GB RAM).

I tried to configure Grub4DOS and it chose to install to the MBR (sda) but got stuck at the Installing message. I rebooted and it went to Win7.

I was going to simply replace the wifi card but I cannot even install linux.
Where did I go wrong?

The netbook has non-glare screen (albeit extra-wide) and would be nice for playing Youtube news in the Out house. The latest youtube-viewer PET and SFS work well on other Precise laptops from 2004, 2006 and 2007. The latest Palemoon 28.9.1 prints labels via Paypal (previous one did not so I dragged out this netbook to print with Windows).

Precise installed fine to a Toshiba and an Acer netbook from 2008, but they both stopped working shortly after. (An ebay purchaser managed to update the ACER BIOS and fixed the noboot problem, and the Toshiba intermittently stops recognizing internal or external keyboard and mouse).

jrb

Re: HP Mini 110 Precise Light 5.7.1 no ethernet wifi or install

#499 Post by jrb »

sindi wrote:2008 (2009?) HP Mini 110 netbook with 1.6GHz CPU, 160GB SATA drive, and 1GB maximum recognizable memory. Came with working Win7 but unusably slow (takes 5-10 sec to load a program or respond to typing a URL). I disabled all the antivirus and everything possible from startup and downloaded oldest Ccleaner and ran it and defragged overnight.

Then attempted to run Precise 5.7.1 Light from flash drive, which works except no network cards are found by Peasywifi or SNS.

I tried to download XP drivers from HP but their website OS chooser goes off the bottom of the 1024x600 page.

Linux Mint supposedly has the drivers.

I shrank sda1, made extended partition and sda5 and copied Precise to it.
(I use 5.7.1 because 5.7.2 had problems such as not printing - 'sleep', and noPAE kernel 3 because it has 1GB RAM).

I tried to configure Grub4DOS and it chose to install to the MBR (sda) but got stuck at the Installing message. I rebooted and it went to Win7.

I was going to simply replace the wifi card but I cannot even install linux.
Where did I go wrong?

The netbook has non-glare screen (albeit extra-wide) and would be nice for playing Youtube news in the Out house. The latest youtube-viewer PET and SFS work well on other Precise laptops from 2004, 2006 and 2007. The latest Palemoon 28.9.1 prints labels via Paypal (previous one did not so I dragged out this netbook to print with Windows).

Precise installed fine to a Toshiba and an Acer netbook from 2008, but they both stopped working shortly after. (An ebay purchaser managed to update the ACER BIOS and fixed the noboot problem, and the Toshiba intermittently stops recognizing internal or external keyboard and mouse).
Where to start? :?
Here are some hopefully useful links:
How to boot Puppy from USB in HP mini 110 netbook?
Wifi modem driver HP-Mini Netbook running Puppy 4.2.1 needed
Broadcom fix integration into puppy - experiment-8
HP Mini 110-1125RN Reinstall windows 7
EasyBCD 2.4
/EasyBCD /NeoGrub
1) The first thing I would do is change kernels on the boot usb. I know that the b43 wifi card has been a real pain but people have made it work.
2) Next I would reinstall win7 and immediately turn off updates. I know Microsoft tells people updates are essential but in my experience they cause more problems than they cure.
3) I have had very good luck with EasyBCD for dual booting. You install it and set up your linux boot while running Windows. It sets up a menu.lst just like Grub4dos's. A little confusing but after a couple of attempts I got it. Once in place you can modify the menu.lst directly, say while running Puppy from usb. I'll attach a picture.
Attachments
EasyBCD_menu.lst.jpg
(90.43 KiB) Downloaded 993 times

sindi

HP Mini 110 problems continued

#500 Post by sindi »

I have no way to reinstall Windows 7 except the non-genuine version and I already turned off automatic updates.
Windows is working properly. No reason to reinstall. It is just absurdly slow.

I will try EasyBCD to dual boot Windows and Precise-Light.

My notes say that Precise-Light has similar problems on the ASUS EEEPC 1000HE (10").
The 4.1 kernel cannot see the ethernet or wifi hardware. Kernel 3.14.56 can see eth0 but not wifi.

Precise Light (5.7.1) will not boot from flash drives with kernel 3.14.56 so I boot it with 4.1.

I have not yet tried with 4.4 (which solved a problem on ASUS 5000M from 2003 with ipw2200).
Maybe that will let grub4dos work.

I got the newer kernels from Xenial 7.06 and 7.5. I needed noPAE 4.4 for the 2003 ASUS.

Racy 5.5 on the ASUS netbook works with both ethernet and wifi.
It may boot from flash drive and let me install Precise files to the HP.

I will get back to these netbooks eventually. Thanks for the ideas.