klhrevolutionist

pc-bsd

#1 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I was reading up on PC-BSD and it sounds good
similar to BeOS
The way they are packaging software individually
so that there are no mixed libs and so on of course this can cause bloatness
of the hd but you win somes and you lose somes

what you all think out there in puppy land???
Last edited by klhrevolutionist on Thu 27 Oct 2005, 02:09, edited 2 times in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Ultimate PC-BSD

#2 Post by Flash »

klhrevolutionist wrote:I was reading up on PC-BSD and it sounds good
similar to BeOS
The way they are packaging software individually
so that there are no mixed libs and so on of course this can cause bloatness
of the hd but you win somes and you lose somes

what you all think out there in puppy land???
I think they sound a lot like DotPups. Are they compiled binaries that include all dependencies and run from within their own directory?

Bloat wouldn't be too big a problem if Puppy were a central core to which you add only the modules you need for your hardware (perhaps with the help of a hardware probe,) and the programs you want, before you download it. The inefficiency of compiling each program into a standalone binary without any dependencies might be offset by not including in Puppy programs you don't want and modules for hardware you don't have.

Such a download server could also do double duty as the development server. Puppyteers who are developing Puppy, or DotPups and other programs for Puppy, could do it remotely on the server, and simply move their work to the download area when they feel it is ready. Developers could operate the server remotely using VPN or the like, with nothing more than a dial-up connection from their end.