Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 22 Sep 2019, 02:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Why is wireless so complicated in Puppy?
Page 3 of 4 [46 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Terry H

PostPosted: Mon 01 Apr 2019, 18:40    Post subject:  

Oldog

In a terminal run:
Code:

dmesg | grep wifi

This will tell you which wifi firmware your system is searching for and needs to be able to connect to wifi.

The firmware then goes in the directory /lib/firmware
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 01 Apr 2019, 20:29    Post subject:  

@ olddog:-

Y'know, I think in all honesty you'd be better off just getting a USB wifi 'dongle', and connecting via that instead. The drivers for many of these, if they have well-established chipsets, have been baked-in to the kernel for years.....because when it boils down to it, it's all down to the chipset in use.

I can highly recommend these two:-

TP-Link WN-725N 'nano' USB wireless adapter

...and this one:-

NetGear WNA-3100M 'mini' USB wireless adapter

I've used both of these for years, with zero hassle - the ancient Dell lappie (an original Inspiron 1100) never came with a wireless card, unlike its big brother, the 5100. The TP-Link uses the r8188eu driver, in the kernel for at least 4½ years.....and the NetGear uses 'old reliable', the rtl8192cu driver, which has been in the kernel longer than many of us can remember.....

I can vouch for their reliability, too; the TP-Link, in particular, has a very good range, and delivers strong performance on even a mediocre signal. Highly recommended, both of 'em; just be aware that the WPS 'single-click-to-connect' button on the NetGear adapter doesn't work under Linux.....but it connects as good as gold using SNS.

You can spend days or weeks trying to get built-in cards running; the Broadcom ones tend to get used by a lot of manufacturers 'cos they're cheap (and 'nasty' with it!) Why put yourself through all that hassle when you can plug a USB adapter in, and be 'up-and-running' in a couple or three minutes? It's what I call a no-brainer; I absolutely refuse to piss about with recalcitrant hardware if there's an easier solution available. So long as you do a modicum of research, and make sure the chipset of what you want to buy is supported by the kernel, it's as easy as 1,2,3.

WikiDevi is a very, very good resource for this task.

And you can transfer a USB adapter from one machine to another, too.

Mike. Wink

Smithy

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019, 04:52    Post subject:  

Only three USB slots though Mike, starts to get a bit limiting, maybe?
Looks a decent Lappie (SINDI).
Maybe Bill’s Peasy, or Stemsee or Rerwin can give some pointers, then at least if anyone comes across
A Thinkpad at least we would know if it is a good candidate for Puppy or a pita, as this thread disappears into the swampy morass of murga.

From Notebook Review:
Wireless

The ThinkPad T61 uses the Intel 4965 wireless chip that offers 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless reception. All of your bases are covered there, and the greater range 802.11n offers is on the table if you have an 802.11n router.
The range of the ThinkPad is theoretically greater now that the lid material has changed to plastic too. The antenna is run up through the lid for better reception you see, and the new lid material allows radio waves to reach the antenna more easily.
I was only able to test up to 100-feet away from my NetGear WGR614 802.11g wireless router, which I despise for its bad performance and tendency to drop connections, but the T61 worked just fine with it and I never suffered a connection drop and throughput was consistently good.

The T61 also offers with integrated WWAN via Verizon as an option, Bluetooth can also be configured as a built-in option.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019, 06:56    Post subject:  

Mornin', Smithy.

Well, yes; that review sounds good, of course. But I'll bet ya pounds to pennies that review was conducted under a Thinkpad running MyCrudSoft's abortion.

P'raps I've just been lucky with my choice of hardware. I dunno.

Smithy wrote:
Only three USB slots though Mike, starts to get a bit limiting, maybe?

No reason olddog couldn't use a USB 'hub' to extend the number of available ports. The old Dell only has two, but I use a seven-port, self-powered (important, that last bit) hub with it. The external USB HDD uses one port, and everything else (including the adapter) uses the hub via the other.

I have to do it this way, 'cos for some strange reason, if I plug the HDD into the hub, Puppy doesn't 'see' it. Weird as hell, but there ya go. At the moment, she's very happy dual-booting Precise 571 and pemasu's UPup 'Raring'.

Works for me, at any rate. There is another alternative, though it depends on the hardware. Did that review happen to mention if the T61 has a PCMCIA 'CardBus' slot, by any chance?

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 02 Apr 2019, 07:04; edited 2 times in total
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019, 06:57    Post subject:  

I changed the wireless card inside my laptop to a TP Link one, but I had to change the BIOS to a better?? third party one to overcome the restrictions on hardware - I actually changed the bios so I could use a none IBM disk. There were some very strange restrictions in the standard BIOS. (there for certification reasons)
olddog

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019, 07:58    Post subject:  

The T61 is one of the great laptops, and the one I use for the web has a modified BIOS (Middleton), a very fast (for its day) CPU and an SSD. It flies.

On another T61 I have a dock (very cheap nowadays), and that has four USB ports. No need for a hub.

Currently the WIFI card is behaving, so I'll stick with it while it continues to do so. It is meant to be the best one available for this machine.

However, I also have a few earlier Thinkpads (various flavours of T42) and none of their WIFI cards work. Some have been removed by previous owners. The USB option is the obvious way forward for those, so thanks, Mike, for reminding me of that option. And for suggesting good ones.

I have learned a lot from this thread, and will try out some (probably all) of the suggestions when time allows.

But I still think Dougal's approach is in need of a decent explanation of what the various buttons do.

Thanks again to all who contributed.

Burn_IT wrote:
I changed the wireless card inside my laptop to a TP Link one, but I had to change the BIOS to a better?? third party one to overcome the restrictions on hardware - I actually changed the bios so I could use a none IBM disk. There were some very strange restrictions in the standard BIOS. (there for certification reasons)

Burn_IT

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019, 08:17    Post subject:  

I have a T43P, by the way.
olddog

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019, 08:35    Post subject:  

Burn_IT wrote:
I have a T43P, by the way.

Good machine, though I don't have one myself.

Yet.

I confess to a Thinkpad addiction. Luckily the older ones are dirt cheap. I recently picked up a perfectly good T42 for £1.20. Plus postage, of course, but that was not inflated.

Burn_IT

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019, 08:52    Post subject:  

This machine cost me 50pence plus the postage.
It was overheating very badly because of dirt, but mainly because the CPU was set to run at 100% all the time rather than "on demand".
It is currently running at 57 degrees with a 2.3Ghz processor.

olddog

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019, 17:45    Post subject:  

Richard,

I have tried Bionic 8 32 in two machines. First, a Thinkpad T42 where it failed complaining about PAE.

Not knowing what that meant I then put it into the T61, where it is working well, and Barry's SNS connected without hesitation.

It looks very good, and I will play with it for a while. I'll probably put the 64 bit version on another T61.

Now to find out about PAE. I really want to get my various T42 machines working with Puppy.

rerwin wrote:
olddog,
I consider myself to be a current maintainer of all 3 of the network managers. I (and others) have made several changes to SNS in the past half year or so that might improve its performance for you.

Could you try the version in either of the bionic 8 pups? My goal is to keep it simple and reliable for the user, or at least identify reasons for its limitations. Then please tell me how it fails you, if it still does.
Richard

bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019, 20:25    Post subject:  

Quote:
I have tried Bionic 8 32 in two machines. First, a Thinkpad T42 where it failed complaining about PAE
The PAE error was probably about the processor not capable of using PAE.

PAE gives a 32bit operating system the ability to see and use more than 4 GB of RAM.

For PAE to work the OS has to be setup to use it and the processor has to be one that can support using PAE.

Easy answer.
Use a Puppy 32bit version that is not PAE.
Tahrpup 6.0.5 has some no-pae versions.
Xenialpup 7.5 (32bit) is no-PAE.

It was standard to have PAE or no-PAE in the Puppy version iso name.
Developers are kind of forgetting to do that, so you have to look in the Puppy version forum topic to see if PAE is talked about.

Here is the Puppy repository:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/

Note:
thinkpad t42 is using processors that may or may not be PAE enabled. Some are some are not.
I am guessing it has a Pentium M processor.

olddog

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019, 20:47    Post subject:  

You guess right!

I have been educating myself, and successfully installed TahrPup, not knowing that XenialPup has a no-PAE version also.

The only problem with TahrPup is that it doesn't display the CPU temperature - something I have come to consider a must.

So tomorrow I will install the 32 bit Xenial.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply.

bigpup wrote:
Quote:
I have tried Bionic 8 32 in two machines. First, a Thinkpad T42 where it failed complaining about PAE
The PAE error was probably about the processor not capable of using PAE.

PAE gives a 32bit operating system the ability to see and use more than 4 GB of RAM.

For PAE to work the OS has to be setup to use it and the processor has to be one that can support using PAE.

Easy answer.
Use a Puppy 32bit version that is not PAE.
Tahrpup 6.0.5 has some no-pae versions.
Xenialpup 7.5 (32bit) is no-PAE.

It was standard to have PAE or no-PAE in the Puppy version iso name.
Developers are kind of forgetting to do that, so you have to look in the Puppy version forum topic to see if PAE is talked about.

Here is the Puppy repository:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/

Note:
thinkpad t42 is using processors that may or may not be PAE enabled. Some are some are not.
I am guessing it has a Pentium M processor.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019, 20:53    Post subject:  

@ olddog:-

Those T42s use the Centrino platform, don't they? Pentium Ms, if I don't miss my guess...

If yours are complaining about PAE, pounds to peanuts they're using the 'Banias'-cored Pentium Ms; for some weird (and totally unexplained reason) Intel built these with the PAE 'flag', but the processor fails to report this to the operating system. So to get these to work with a PAE-enabled system, you have to use the 'force-PAE' option at boot-time.

The later, 'Dothan'-cored Pentium Ms didn't suffer from this problem, as the processor correctly reports the PAE flag to the OS.....

Just a scrap of interesting info for ya!

Mike. Wink

bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019, 20:55    Post subject:  

CPU temp displaying has been a moving target in Puppy for years. Recently some work to cure this problem.

Try installing and using this program.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115684

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019, 21:09    Post subject:  

Or, there's Micko's original PMCPUtemp.....which I've never had any problems with on my hardware. You must be running Tahr 6.0.5; the later 6.0.6 (and Xenialpup) had PMCPUtemp installed by default. For 6.0.5 you needed to install it separately.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=98299

The version mentioned in bigpup's post is an updated, re-jigged one, developed by ozsouth for machines with 'awkward' processors that don't report temperatures correctly with the original version. You'll have to experiment and find out which one works for your machine. I'd try the 'original' first; if it doesn't like your CPU, it'll pop up a window to tell you that it can't work with it.

Then you can try ozsouth's version. I've had success with that one on a mate's elderly Dell Inspiron 530s desktop running Puppy; the original version just sat firmly on 40C without moving so much as a fraction either up or down.....and prior to running Puppy, in the previous Vista install, HWMonitor reported temps perfectly (so I knew the sensors were definitely there!)

Mike. Wink

Page 3 of 4 [46 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to: