Google Chrome browser stopped working

Using applications, configuring, problems
Nanosecond

#31 Post by Nanosecond »

Mike Walsh wrote:Raphael:-

Well, you've flummoxed me here. Got me doubting my own packaging skills, so I downloaded the package I linked you to, fired up my test install of Tahr 605, and installed it.

It still fires straight up.....whether from the terminal, or Menu->Internet->Slimjet. I'm posting from the test install with the downloaded Slimjet package right now.

I don't understand why you're getting

Code: Select all

su: can't execute '/bin/sh': Permission denied
Doesn't happen for me. The only time 'su' is generally used in the terminal is if you want to switch to user 'spot'. And 'Can't execute '/bin/sh'; huh?

Okay, Slimmie is here running as 'spot'.....but the executable in /usr/bin, 'slimjet', has root:root permissions, and is only a pointer to the 'flashpeak-slimjet' wrapper-script; that's what actually launches it.....

What have you been doing to your Tahrpup, Raphael? If you open a terminal, enter

whoami
.....and hit 'Enter', what d'you get? Hint; you should get a readout of

root
root#

Mike. :wink:
Thank you and a hearty Hallo!
You have more reasons to be bewildered than me.
Well the code I got was as you stated.
root
root#
Error I did not enter Whoami before I hit enter. Sorry!
There is the black rectangle box right after root#
I am learning somethings along the way.
What might be next?
Best, Raphael
:wink:

slight corrrection:
SAME result from both the Console and Urxvt
Attachments
RootUrxvt.png
(3 KiB) Downloaded 134 times

mikeslr

#32 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Nanosecond,

What web-browser did you use do download into /root/spot/Download? It seems the only working web-browser you have is Google-Chrome48, and it didn't download files there by default. How did the slimjet package get into /spot/Downloads?

When you download a file the Web-browser doing the download has to put them someplace. By default, firefox and palemoon will create a folder named Downloads in your /root folder. The 'old Google-Chrome' would either ask where or default to either /root or /root/Downloads. ALL BROWSERS WERE DESIGNED BY THEIR PUBLISHERS TO RUN UNDER DISTROS IN WHICH THE DOWNLOAD FOLDER WOULD BE ON YOUR HARD-DRIVE (or USB-STICK).

Puppy Linux employs a 'merge-file system'. On bootup it copies into RAM some of the files you have in storage in different file systems --such as the Puppy_Version_Number.sfs, adrv_Puppy.sfs, zdrv_Puppy.sfs. So on bootup there are two copies of some files: one in Storage, the other in RAM. There's a folder named /root in Storage and one name /root in RAM. AMONG THE SOME FILES WHICH WILL BE COPIED ARE ALL THE FILES IN THE /ROOT FOLDER. If, when you shut-down/reboot you've left a file in /root/Download, or /root/Spot/Download and a Save was executed, on bootup those files will use up RAM.

DOWNLOAD FOLDERS ARE FOR THE CONVENIENCE OF THE PUBLISHERS OF WEB-BROWSERS. NOT FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE. GET THE FILES YOU NOW HAVE IN DOWNLOAD OUT OF THOSE FOLDERS. IT'S PROBABLY WHY YOU RECEIVED A MESSAGE THAT YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH SPACE TO UNPACK FILES. YOU'RE TRYING TO UNPACK THEM IN RAM. A decompressed file takes up 2 to 3 times as much space as a compressed filed. With both the compressed file and the decompress file simultaneously in RAM, you can be using 4 times the amount of RAM as the downloaded file had.

ONLY FOLDERS AND FILES ON /mnt/SOME_DRIVE_OR_PARTITION are not in RAM unless and until some applications 'calls them'. An application may contain hundreds, thousand of files. When a call is made it is not to all those files, only those which are then needed.

Open two rox windows: Left-Click the desktop drive icon for your Home Partition --it will have an 'x' in its Top-Right corner-- to open a Window to /mnt/home (AKA /mnt/dev_save). Leave that window open. Open a 2nd rox window so that you can see the folder named /root/Downloads: the folder itself, NOT the files within it as shown here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 37#1023737. Left-PRESS, hold, then drag that folder into the other Window and select Move. Left-Press, hold then drag it back to /root and Select Link(relative). A symlink will be created. Downloads will now physically be in "Storage", Always outside of RAM, but the symlink causes your operating system and all applications to treat that folder and files within it as if they were still in /root.

Remember to execute a Save.

I suggest you do the same with your /root/my-documents folder: move it to /mnt/home and symlink it back to /root.

You can't do that with the /spot/Download folder. SPOT IS A LIMITED USER and applications in the /Spot Folder can not be run if doing so requires them to access folders outside of the Spot Folder. I think that's why you got a permission error.

Nope. Booted into Tahrpup, downloaded both the pet and the sfs into /root/spot. Clicking the pet in /root/spot installed it. Right-Clicking the SFS and selecting SFS-Load loaded it. So I still don't know why you're getting a permission error.

Nanosecond

#33 Post by Nanosecond »

mikeslr wrote:Hi Nanosecond,

What web-browser did you use do download into /root/spot/Download? It seems the only working web-browser you have is Google-Chrome48, and it didn't download files there by default. How did the slimjet package get into /spot/Downloads?
When you download a file the Web-browser doing the download has to put them someplace. By default, firefox and palemoon will create a folder named Downloads in your /root folder. The 'old Google-Chrome' would either ask where or default to either /root or /root/Downloads. ALL BROWSERS WERE DESIGNED BY THEIR PUBLISHERS TO RUN UNDER DISTROS IN WHICH THE DOWNLOAD FOLDER WOULD BE ON YOUR HARD-DRIVE (or USB-STICK).

Puppy Linux employs a 'merge-file system'. On bootup it copies into RAM some of the files you have in storage in different file systems --such as the Puppy_Version_Number.sfs, adrv_Puppy.sfs, zdrv_Puppy.sfs. So on bootup there are two copies of some files: one in Storage, the other in RAM. There's a folder named /root in Storage and one name /root in RAM. AMONG THE SOME FILES WHICH WILL BE COPIED ARE ALL THE FILES IN THE /ROOT FOLDER. If, when you shut-down/reboot you've left a file in /root/Download, or /root/Spot/Download and a Save was executed, on bootup those files will use up RAM.

DOWNLOAD FOLDERS ARE FOR THE CONVENIENCE OF THE PUBLISHERS OF WEB-BROWSERS. NOT FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE. GET THE FILES YOU NOW HAVE IN DOWNLOAD OUT OF THOSE FOLDERS. IT'S PROBABLY WHY YOU RECEIVED A MESSAGE THAT YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH SPACE TO UNPACK FILES. YOU'RE TRYING TO UNPACK THEM IN RAM. A decompressed file takes up 2 to 3 times as much space as a compressed filed. With both the compressed file and the decompress file simultaneously in RAM, you can be using 4 times the amount of RAM as the downloaded file had.

ONLY FOLDERS AND FILES ON /mnt/SOME_DRIVE_OR_PARTITION are not in RAM unless and until some applications 'calls them'. An application may contain hundreds, thousand of files. When a call is made it is not to all those files, only those which are then needed.

Open two rox windows: Left-Click the desktop drive icon for your Home Partition --it will have an 'x' in its Top-Right corner-- to open a Window to /mnt/home (AKA /mnt/dev_save). Leave that window open. Open a 2nd rox window so that you can see the folder named /root/Downloads: the folder itself, NOT the files within it as shown here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 37#1023737. Left-PRESS, hold, then drag that folder into the other Window and select Move. Left-Press, hold then drag it back to /root and Select Link(relative). A symlink will be created. Downloads will now physically be in "Storage", Always outside of RAM, but the symlink causes your operating system and all applications to treat that folder and files within it as if they were still in /root.

Remember to execute a Save.

I suggest you do the same with your /root/my-documents folder: move it to /mnt/home and symlink it back to /root.

You can't do that with the /spot/Download folder. SPOT IS A LIMITED USER and applications in the /Spot Folder can not be run if doing so requires them to access folders outside of the Spot Folder. I think that's why you got a permission error.

To be continued as soon as I boot into Tahrpup.
Thank You! Wow...lots of good info there.
I am using Google-Chrome48 and I used the Link Mike Walsh supplied for Slimjet.
Note the two windows. I can't move them either way and get any results.
The Option MOVE is not offered I assume cause the Drive is locked? What do I know. When you say SAVE you mean the desktop icon correct? When I've tried to Save from the icon i get this yellow box (see attachment)
**And I've never had another window open as it claims it will. Just sits there forever.
Best,
Raphael
Attachments
puppy save window.png
(39.85 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Drive and Folder window.png
(84.66 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

mikeslr

#34 Post by mikeslr »

Continuing from my last post. Ralph downloaded the slimjet pet or sfs into /root/spot. I don't know why he gets a permission error. Unfortunately, I'm not certain what Mike Walsh included in those packages.

In the Google-Chrome 64 builds, Mike includes a module (with a taskbar launcher) which moves files out of /spot/Downloads and changes their permission -- [also changes permissions of files in /root/Uploads]. But before loading his SFS, I was already running Iron and had installed a modified version of his permission changer/mover as Iron didn't include it. I think Mike's Slimjet pet and SFS also include that module. But can't be sure.

At any rate, as per my prior post, Ralph has to get applications out of the Download folders.

Nanosecond

#35 Post by Nanosecond »

mikeslr wrote:Continuing from my last post. Ralph downloaded the slimjet pet or sfs into /root/spot. I don't know why he gets a permission error. Unfortunately, I'm not certain what Mike Walsh included in those packages.

In the Google-Chrome 64 builds, Mike includes a module (with a taskbar launcher) which moves files out of /spot/Downloads and changes their permission -- [also changes permissions of files in /root/Uploads]. But before loading his SFS, I was already running Iron and had installed a modified version of his permission changer/mover as Iron didn't include it. I think Mike's Slimjet pet and SFS also include that module. But can't be sure.

At any rate, as per my prior post, Ralph has to get applications out of the Download folders.
Thank You!
As I mentioned the Desktop Drive Icon or PMount ATA Toshiba MK2546GS and Generic USB Flash Disk is locked up tighter than Fort Knox.
The only way to get anything out of that drive icon is to Right click which brings up a variety of Options like.

Mike Walsh

#36 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, Mike.

No, I didn't include the permissions mover/changer with these Slimjet packages. Thinking about it, I probably should have done, since (as Oscar points out) recent 'Slimmies' will only run as spot. If you disable the sandbox to run as /root (like with Iron), they cry foul, and throw a wobbly.

I'd better re-do them, I think. The module only adds a couple of hundred Ks extra.....these Chromium clones are getting ginormous these days as it is!

That's a task for the morrow, however. The Sandman's a-calling..! Image

T'other Mike. :wink: