Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 14 Nov 2019, 23:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Google Chrome browser stopped working
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 3 [36 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
zagreb999

PostPosted: Fri 29 Mar 2019, 00:20    Post subject:  

regards Raphael

take this perfect os

install with unetbootin on fat32 usb

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114999
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 29 Mar 2019, 09:48    Post subject:  

Hell. Now I feel like an asshole.....especially after last night's 'rant'.

@ Raphael:- I don't know which it is, mate; either I must like you, or.....well; perhaps you've now made me feel guilty. Or summat.

Regardless.....

Despite oui's 'exhortations' to try out the very newest Puppies (the devs have gone to a great deal of trouble, and put the effort in, after all, so.....why not?), there's no reason why you shouldn't stick with Tahr 605. It's still a very stable, reliable Puppy.

Looking back through the thread this morning, I see Slimjet was mentioned. Bearing in mind how you like things that are easy & simple to do (and that I myself am a firm believer in making things as simple to use as possible), how about this?

32-bit Slimjet 21.0.8.0 'all-in-one'

This is based on Chromium 70. Oscar built a package of this, which I then modified for my own use; instead of updating Palemoon, and pointing the browser to look for the NSS libs'n'stuff there, I went a step further.....and included the Palemoon stuff inside the /slimjet/libs/directory, inside another directory named 'palemoon' (and pointed the browser at that, instead).

I've modified the package still further this morning, specifically for Tahr 605. I've added the GTK 3.0 stuff (this is from the Trusty repos, so it's the correct versions).....and also libxkbcommon, which was apparently needed, too.

This has been tested in a pristine Tahr 605 install, about an hour ago. Download from the above link, install.....and launch from Menu->Internet->SlimJet. It fires straight up. This should give you a Chromium-based browser which will keep you going for a while; it's a lot newer than Chrome 48.

I don't know the first thing about GoogleVoice; you'll have to test that out for yourself.

(Do bear in mind that any downloads for this browser will be in /root/spot/Downloads.....not your standard /root/Downloads directory.)

EDIT:- Just got a message up in NetFlix in Chrome 48, to tell me that from the 15 May 2019, Chrome 48 will no longer be supported, and a lot of stuff will quit working. So you need to upgrade by that date in any case.

---------------------------------------

Before you try installing this, however, it sounds like you may need to enlarge your save-file? (Your recent PM mentioned you were getting warnings about running out of space when trying to install the latest Palemoon.)

Please start another thread for that. Don't start asking about that here; it'll just confuse the hell out of everyone. One thread.....one subject. Please.

Mike. Wink

Nanosecond

PostPosted: Fri 29 Mar 2019, 22:42    Post subject: My Browser Doesn't Work Tahrpup  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Hell. Now I feel like an asshole.....especially after last night's 'rant'.

@ Raphael:- I don't know which it is, mate; either I must like you, or.....well; perhaps you've now made me feel guilty. Or summat.

Regardless.....

Despite oui's 'exhortations' to try out the very newest Puppies (the devs have gone to a great deal of trouble, and put the effort in, after all, so.....why not?), there's no reason why you shouldn't stick with Tahr 605. It's still a very stable, reliable Puppy.

Looking back through the thread this morning, I see Slimjet was mentioned. Bearing in mind how you like things that are easy & simple to do (and that I myself am a firm believer in making things as simple to use as possible), how about this?

32-bit Slimjet 21.0.8.0 'all-in-one'

This is based on Chromium 70. Oscar built a package of this, which I then modified for my own use; instead of updating Palemoon, and pointing the browser to look for the NSS libs'n'stuff there, I went a step further.....and included the Palemoon stuff inside the /slimjet/libs/directory, inside another directory named 'palemoon' (and pointed the browser at that, instead).

I've modified the package still further this morning, specifically for Tahr 605. I've added the GTK 3.0 stuff (this is from the Trusty repos, so it's the correct versions).....and also libxkbcommon, which was apparently needed, too.

This has been tested in a pristine Tahr 605 install, about an hour ago. Download from the above link, install.....and launch from Menu->Internet->SlimJet. It fires straight up. This should give you a Chromium-based browser which will keep you going for a while; it's a lot newer than Chrome 48.

I don't know the first thing about GoogleVoice; you'll have to test that out for yourself.

(Do bear in mind that any downloads for this browser will be in /root/spot/Downloads.....not your standard /root/Downloads directory.)

EDIT:- Just got a message up in NetFlix in Chrome 48, to tell me that from the 15 May 2019, Chrome 48 will no longer be supported, and a lot of stuff will quit working. So you need to upgrade by that date in any case.

---------------------------------------

Before you try installing this, however, it sounds like you may need to enlarge your save-file? (Your recent PM mentioned you were getting warnings about running out of space when trying to install the latest Palemoon.)

Please start another thread for that. Don't start asking about that here; it'll just confuse the hell out of everyone. One thread.....one subject. Please.

Mike. Wink

Dear Mike, Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate all you've done for me and countless others.
So, no worries...it wasn't an attempt to make you or anyone feel guilty. I got a very strong no way out nudge to post what I did re: reprisal.
ALL is well my friend.
I'll likely tackle this tomorrow with a new post in order to enlarge the save-file first and hopefully things will be all good again.
You know the Dell laptop is the computer I've used solely for Tahrpup. That computer is a Windows 7 64 Bit machine. Will it be okay to proceed with Slimjet?
Have a great day ahead.
Cheers, Raphael
Wink
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 30 Mar 2019, 05:42    Post subject:  

@ Raphael:-

Shouldn't make a scrap of difference. If Tahrpup itself runs, then so will this. Slimjet, Iron, Vivaldi.....all of these would run; they're all based on the Chromium browser, and are what are known as 'clones'.

Mike. Wink

Nanosecond

PostPosted: Sat 30 Mar 2019, 10:59    Post subject: My Browser Doesn't Work Tahrpup  

Mike Walsh wrote:
@ Raphael:-

Shouldn't make a scrap of difference. If Tahrpup itself runs, then so will this. Slimjet, Iron, Vivaldi.....all of these would run; they're all based on the Chromium browser, and are what are known as 'clones'.

Mike. Wink

@Mike Walsh
Thank YOU! awesome...
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sat 30 Mar 2019, 11:39    Post subject: Re: My Browser Doesn't Work Tahrpup  

Nanosecond wrote:
@Mike Walsh
Thank YOU! awesome...

It only takes a couple of minutes to download the package that Mike Walsh has put together, click on it to install it, test it to see if it runs and does what you want, and then report the results in this thread.
Can we assume from the above response that you have done that?

Nanosecond

PostPosted: Sat 30 Mar 2019, 11:51    Post subject: Re: My Browser Doesn't Work Tahrpup  

OscarTalks wrote:
Nanosecond wrote:
@Mike Walsh
Thank YOU! awesome...

It only takes a couple of minutes to download the package that Mike Walsh has put together, click on it to install it, test it to see if it runs and does what you want, and then report the results in this thread.
Can we assume from the above response that you have done that?

Thank You!
Mike Walsh suggested I first enlarge my save-file. Which I just made a new post pertaining to.

Raphael
Wink
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sat 30 Mar 2019, 12:15    Post subject:  

But did you TRY just installing Slimjet by clicking on it?
The free space issue arose when you were trying to use PPM did it not?
You do not seem to be following events and suggestions in a logical sequence and this makes it ten times more difficult for people to help you. When someone offers you an idea, try testing that rather than becoming distracted by some other issue.

You can only enlarge a save-file if you are actually using one. If you are using a save-folder this does not apply. We need to know exactly how you have installed Puppy and how you are booting it.

Nanosecond

PostPosted: Sat 30 Mar 2019, 13:00    Post subject: My Browser Doesn't Work Tahrpup  

Thank You!
I did download it just now and it took awhile as the USB flash drive was active.
Waited until it asked If I wanted to install this package and I tick yes.
When I go to Menu>Internet>Slimjet it won't open.
In the list of Internet options in this order. Google-Chrome, Palemoon, Palemoon updater and Slimjet. The only one at this moment that works is Google-Chrome.

Mike did suggest prior to downloading and installing Slimjet that I make another post as not to confuse people. *That's what I did.
*http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1023727#1023727

Please advise.
Sincerely, Raphael

@OscarTalks
I have no idea why this was set up this way? (see attachment plz)
Resize.png
 Description   
 Filesize   11.71 KB
 Viewed   100 Time(s)

Resize.png

Last edited by Nanosecond on Sat 30 Mar 2019, 13:52; edited 2 times in total
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sat 30 Mar 2019, 13:30    Post subject:  

At least it installed without any error messages about free space.
Instead of using the menu entry to launch Slimjet, open a terminal, type slimjet and press your carriage return key. Read what it says and post it here if necessary.

Nanosecond

PostPosted: Sat 30 Mar 2019, 13:40    Post subject: Google Chrome browser stopped working  

OscarTalks wrote:
At least it installed without any error messages about free space.
Instead of using the menu entry to launch Slimjet, open a terminal, type slimjet and press your carriage return key. Read what it says and post it here if necessary.

Thank YOU!
Progress.
If I go to /root/spot/Downloads and tick downloads it opens a blank window.
If I go to root/Downloads Slimjet at least it appears there.
(Note attachments please)

I'm sorry! where do I find and open a Terminal? Is it Urxvt Terminal Control from the start Menu?
Menu Rox Downloads.png
 Description   
 Filesize   46.82 KB
 Viewed   106 Time(s)

Menu Rox Downloads.png

root spot downloads.png
 Description   
 Filesize   15.94 KB
 Viewed   108 Time(s)

root spot downloads.png

Nanosecond

PostPosted: Sat 30 Mar 2019, 13:47    Post subject: Re: My Browser Doesn't Work Tahrpup  

Nanosecond wrote:
Thank You!
I did download it just now and it took awhile as the USB flash drive was active.
Waited until it asked If I wanted to install this package and I tick yes.
When I go to Menu>Internet>Slimjet it won't open.
In the list of Internet options in this order. Google-Chrome, Palemoon, Palemoon updater and Slimjet. The only one at this moment that works is Google-Chrome.

Mike did suggest prior to downloading and installing Slimjet that I make another post as not to confuse people. *That's what I did.
*http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1023727#1023727

Please advise.
Sincerely, Raphael

Thank You!
When I go to resize personal file it says I don't need one as it is using a save folder I'm not sure why its set up this way?
Rolling Eyes
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sat 30 Mar 2019, 14:43    Post subject: Re: Google Chrome browser stopped working  

Nanosecond wrote:
I'm sorry! where do I find and open a Terminal?

Click "console" icon on desktop, or Menu > Utility > Urxvt terminal emulator

Nanosecond

PostPosted: Sat 30 Mar 2019, 14:59    Post subject: Re: Google Chrome browser stopped working  

OscarTalks wrote:
Nanosecond wrote:
I'm sorry! where do I find and open a Terminal?

Click "console" icon on desktop, or Menu > Utility > Urxvt terminal emulator

Thanks...
I tried both and got this message
Urxvt terminal emulator:
root# slimjet
su: can't execute '/bin/sh': Permission denied
root#
From the Console:
root# slimjet
root#

Question:
a) Once I download and install the package. Do I need to shutdown and allow Tahrpup to Save the session before Slimjet would function?
b) does the save file or save folder arrangement I have messing this up? As I listed in the earlier posts today?
Listed here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1023736#1023736
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 30 Mar 2019, 18:45    Post subject:  

Raphael:-

Well, you've flummoxed me here. Got me doubting my own packaging skills, so I downloaded the package I linked you to, fired up my test install of Tahr 605, and installed it.

It still fires straight up.....whether from the terminal, or Menu->Internet->Slimjet. I'm posting from the test install with the downloaded Slimjet package right now.

I don't understand why you're getting

Code:

Doesn't happen for me. The only time 'su' is generally used in the terminal is if you want to switch to user 'spot'. And 'Can't execute '/bin/sh'; huh?

Okay, Slimmie is here running as 'spot'.....but the executable in /usr/bin, 'slimjet', has root:root permissions, and is only a pointer to the 'flashpeak-slimjet' wrapper-script; that's what actually launches it.....

What have you been doing to your Tahrpup, Raphael? If you open a terminal, enter

Code:
whoami

.....and hit 'Enter', what d'you get? Hint; you should get a readout of

Code:
root
root#

Mike. Wink

Page 2 of 3 [36 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: