Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 18 Jun 2019, 19:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to Enable Keyboard Volume Control inDpup Stretch 7.5??
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
MrDuckGuy

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2019, 02:03    Post subject:  How to Enable Keyboard Volume Control inDpup Stretch 7.5??
Subject description: Most Newer Puppies Have this as a Default B'H.

Hello, I have a keyboard with a dedicated volume control, which works in most Puppy Distros, and I really make good use of it.

I am trying out the most recent distros of a variety of OSs, some of the most recent ones are pretty good, and some have some issues that I think aren't improvements.

In any case, I am running Dpup Stretch7.5frugal, Kernel Release: 4.9.149-stretch, Build Date: Thu Jan 10 20:28:04 EST 2019. The iso that I loaded is stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.9.149.iso which, I believe was updated pretty recently? That date says January 10th.

My hardware is:
PC Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Product Name: OptiPlex 9010
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470S CPU @ 2.90GHz
Max Speed: 3600 MHz
Total RAM: 7983 MB
Cached: 1741 MB
Total Swap: 2049 MB

In any case I like the OS but I need to get the volume control on my keyboard working. Isn't there some command in Terminal that I can edit in to get this working? Question Question

Thanks in advance, Kelikaku B'H
OrvilleImage.png
 Description   Here is a picture of a robot - just for its own sake. B'H.
 Filesize   154.86 KB
 Viewed   174 Time(s)

OrvilleImage.png

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2019, 10:17    Post subject:  

@ MrDuckGuy :-

I'm no expert with this kinda thing, I'll be the first to admit. There may well be a config file, somewhere, that can be edited to 'fix' the 'problem'. But in my experience, this sort of issue is usually down to interaction between 2 items; the specific kernel you're using (and what drivers/firmware it supports), and the firmware/hardware of your keyboard itself.

If you're using a pretty new machine, it could even be that the hardware simply isn't supported yet by the kernel. You have to realise that, unlike in the Windows ecosphere, where manufacturers write drivers for every new item they produce, so that said item is 'ready-to-go' the instant it hits the shelves, the situation on this side of the fence is a bit different.

Most manufacturers, and some in particular (I'm thinking of you here, Broadcom..! Evil or Very Mad ), can't be bothered to support Linux in any way, shape or form.....though that situation is slowly changing as the years go by. This being the case, the kernel devs have to 'reverse-engineer' each and every driver they want the kernel to support (the kernel itself, at this point in time, is better than 95% nothing but drivers, BTW).....and that takes time. Depending on the number of individuals available to work on the problem, the hours they're able to spare, and the competence (or otherwise) of said individuals, each driver can take anywhere from 6 weeks or so, up to perhaps 6 months or more (in the case, say, of graphics drivers/features).

To give a related example, I've recently started using the wireless version of my favourite Logitech keyboard. This one has a row of 'multimedia'/shortcut keys along the top.....including play/pause for media, and volume up/down/mute/unmute.

I run a selection of around a dozen Puppies; some brand new, some years old (because I happen to like them). Although the keyboard volume control works in almost all of them, only one gives an on-screen display of level, muting, etc. This particular Puppy (UPup 'Raring', from a few years ago) is also the only one to call up Galculator when I hit the last key in the row, which has a wee picture of a calculator on it.....

The whole thing is somewhat 'hit-and-miss', I'm afraid.....and is just one of those 'niggling' little things which, for some Windows 'refugees', can be the difference between making or breaking the entire experience for them.

Which will it be for you..??

Mike. Wink

MrDuckGuy

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2019, 13:04    Post subject: Re: How to Enable Keyboard Volume Control inDpup Stretch 7.5??

Mike Walsh wrote:
... this sort of issue is ... down to interaction between 2 items; the specific kernel
you're using (and what drivers/firmware it supports), and the firmware/hardware of
your keyboard itself. ...
I find this keyboard's volume control is compatible with Tahrpup.
Quote:
... you're using a pretty new machine ...
It's an i5 based desktop.
Quote:
... it could even be that the hardware simply isn't supported yet by the kernel ...
Well it's working in Tahrpup32v6.0.5, with kernel release 3.14.20, from October of 2014.
The issue with the volume control is with the newer OSs with the newer kernels. For
example, it's not working with Stretch7.5 with a more recent kernel, 4.9.149 with a
build date of two months ago.
Quote:
... realise that, unlike in the Windows ecosphere, where manufacturers write drivers ...
OK I see your point here.
Quote:
... I've recently started using the wireless version of my favourite Logitech keyboard. ...
I as well, have just upgraded my keyboard, which is what prompted this topic. I'm
using a new mechanical AZIO keyboard with a volume knob on the upper right face, with
backlighting in the individual keys. This is the first "fancy" keyboard I've ever really
obtained, it's also mechanical like an old IBM from the 1990s. Its keys "click" with
feedback while typing.
Quote:
... This one has a row of 'multimedia'/shortcut keys along the top ... including
play/pause for media, and volume up/down/mute/unmute ... I run ... around a dozen
Puppies ... the keyboard volume control works in almost all of them, only one
gives an on-screen display of level, muting, etc. This particular Puppy (UPup 'Raring',
from a few years ago ...
I haven't spotted that one yet, maybe I should try to download it too?
Thanks for your two cents (tuppence worth?) worth and bobs your uncle. I am going to try
out the OS you mentioned, perhaps we'll solve it that way.

-Kelikaku B'H.
azio-mgk-l80_image01.png
 Description   This is a rough image of what my keyboard looks like, the round knob
on the upper right corner is the volume control. It's pretty handy
while a media file's playing. The keys are individually backlit. B'H.
 Filesize   83.3 KB
 Viewed   76 Time(s)

azio-mgk-l80_image01.png

spaceship-controlpanelx.png
 Description   This is a spaceship's control panel. My computer is similar to this,
in a distantly kindred manner. B'H.
 Filesize   84.78 KB
 Viewed   75 Time(s)

spaceship-controlpanelx.png

Last edited by MrDuckGuy on Thu 07 Mar 2019, 12:42; edited 2 times in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2019, 13:51    Post subject:  

@ MrDuckGuy :-

Well, like I said, Raring's a few years old now. Moreover, it was based on one of the Ubuntu 'in-between LTS' short-term releases; these only get 9 months support from Canonical, instead of the standard 5 years for the LTS releases.

But with Puppy, age doesn't really matter. Due to the unusual way it operates, it's even less likely to get infected than most Linux mainstream distros. Raring's one of my favourites; it runs everything I need it to do, including up-to-date Firefox (which stays up-to-date).

If you're interested, you can find the ISO for UPup Raring here:-

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/UpupRaring/UpupRaring3992/

Do be aware that the PPM for this Puppy is no longer functional; Canonical terminated the link to Raring's repositories even before I joined the Forum back in June 2014.....Raring's EOL was at the end of January that year. This Puppy has been set-up to how I have it now entirely with .pet & SFS packages.....which is no indictment of pemasu's UPup Raring itself, but rather a testament to just how much functional software there is available throughout these forums, mostly from various member's private cloud hosting accounts (many of which are still operational even years after their owners abandoned the Forum.)

The choice is yours. Whatever you do.....enjoy.

Mike. Wink

MrDuckGuy

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2019, 17:06    Post subject: Re: How to Enable Keyboard Volume Control inDpup Stretch 7.5??

Mike Walsh wrote:
@ MrDuckGuy :
... Raring's a few years old now. ... with Puppy, age doesn't really matter ... Raring's one of my favourites; it
runs everything I need it to do ... the PPM for this Puppy is no longer functional ... This Puppy has been set-up to
how I have it now ... choice is yours. Whatever you do ... enjoy. ... Mike. Wink
Well, I downloaded the iso and surprised myself by, for the first time, copying the contents of the iso into a frugal
folder, editing the menu.lst that implements the Grub4DOS boot application, and first time around, by some oddball
chance, it booted right up Exclamation Also, it was instantaneous as opposed to the amount of time it would have taken to burn
a CD-ROM, put it in the computer, load it and wait for it to initialize. Saved quite a bit of time.

How's that for dumb luck? In any case, I was running out of blank CDs, so at least now I don't have as much of an issue
there anymore.

Bad luck anyway though, I tried running a few media files to see how it worked with my special keyboard volume knob,
and there's no compatibility at this point. I have to make a list of the OSs that are compatible with this hardware
now, I suppose.

Thanks for your participation. I learned something Exclamation

-Kelikaku B'H.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2019, 18:41    Post subject:  

Quote:
This is a spaceship's control panel. My computer is similar to this, in a distantly kindred manner.

One of my old desktop layouts after Mike W got me into that sort of thing (for a while) around 18 months ago

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=969900#969900

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2019, 20:39    Post subject:  

Hmm. Can't say I'm entirely surprised, though....

Raring works fine with the volume up/down keys on my wireless Logitech keyboard. But this goes to show what I was saying about different firmware; I'm guessing yours must have a potentiometer controlled by the rotary volume knob. My buttons, on the other hand, obviously work in much the same way as the main volume control on my Mum's Sony hi-fi. It doesn't turn, as such; rather, it turns maybe 15 degrees, coming up against a contact at the end of either direction of travel, centering under spring tension when released. You watch the volume level rise or fall on the main display, simply holding it until you reach the desired level.....

And that design is nearly 25 years old; looking like a 'rotary' control, but acting like a pair of up/down buttons.....

Mike. Wink

MrDuckGuy

PostPosted: Thu 07 Mar 2019, 16:38    Post subject:  Re: How to Enable Keyboard Volume Control inDpup Stretch 7.5??

Mike Walsh wrote:
... Can't say I'm entirely surprised, .... Mike. Wink
It just started working. I rebooted it today and now it works. Thanks so very much, Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Kelikaku B'H
image-33.png
 Description   Working the volume control. B'H.
 Filesize   86.43 KB
 Viewed   70 Time(s)

image-33.png

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 07 Mar 2019, 19:23    Post subject:  

Good, good; I thought it should have been recognised, TBH.

My bad, actually. I ought to have mentioned that for any audio changes, and indeed for audio configurations in general to be permanently written into the save-file/folder, at least one re-boot is usually required. But it's working, now.....and that's the main thing.

You'll like Raring. It's a very neat, well put-together Puppy; typical of pemasu's work. His stuff always plays nicely. I'm posting from it now; it's one of my favourite Pups, despite needing a wee bit more 'setting-up' due to those repos going off-line years ago.....

Mike. Wink

MrDuckGuy

PostPosted: Fri 08 Mar 2019, 06:21    Post subject:  Re: How to Enable Keyboard Volume Control inDpup Stretch 7.5??

Mike Walsh wrote:
... for any audio changes, and indeed for audio configurations in general to be
permanently written into the save-file/folder, at least one re-boot ... required.
... You'll like Raring ... very neat, well put-together ... Mike. Wink
I anticipate that as well, I like the feedback of the green status bar overlaying
the screen while the volume is adjusted (very similar to my mother's HIFI).

My next project is getting this super-advanced quantum keyboard from the
future to work with Puppy Linux. See image below:

-Kelikaku B'H.
2019-03-08-future keyboard.png
 Description   Goal: to achieve Puppy Linux compatibility with this keyboard from the future. B'H.
 Filesize   77.41 KB
 Viewed   57 Time(s)

2019-03-08-future keyboard.png

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: