Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 15 Sep 2019, 14:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Distributions created by members of the Puppy Forum
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 7 of 13 [188 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
wiak

PostPosted: Mon 11 Mar 2019, 23:12    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
I think we need to add a statement that "due to the variety of Puppy Linux and Puppy LInux-like distros discussed in this forum, please always mention the exact Puppy (or Puppy-like) distro that you use / ask about, along with the version". Or something to that effect.

Done. Will amend my blog post accordingly once I have time.

tinycore/slitaz: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=990130#990130
jd7654

PostPosted: Tue 12 Mar 2019, 14:56    Post subject:  

Wow, that just happened:

wiak's passive aggressive attack on mavrothal wrote:
...my concern is 'the possibility' that some 'stewards' are biased against the Dogs...I don't think such forum members should have core places on Puppy Family Team

jamesbond's affirmative rejection of said attack wrote:
As for the "biased steward", I guess you're talking about mavrothal...If there is ever an election for Puppy stewardship, mavrothal will get my vote - not because of he's my friend, but because of the good work that he has done, and because he really cares about Puppy.

Wiak, you're such a tool that you don't even know it. Wink
jd7654

PostPosted: Tue 12 Mar 2019, 15:00    Post subject:  

wiak wrote:
Of course, the fuss that has been made by some over the surely simple facts described in the first post of this thread (and the lack of forum administrator commenting on sticky thread possibility) tends to cement my view of Puppy Linux bias being a problem here.

No wiak, I'm afraid the only problem here is you.

Puppy Linux bias? Uuhhh...this is a Puppy Linux Discussion Forum. Yes there's a lot more here than Puppy Linux, but it's all about respect.

Respecting where you are. I think for example that fredx181 is a very respectful guest/member of the Puppy forums, just creating and supporting in his threads. And I don't see the big problem. There's nothing in this post that regular members don't already know about what's to be found here. And for new members, a few posts and redirections and they figure out that Dog and Puppy are different things in different threads. Oh the calamity. I don't think there's any need for users to be directed or not directed to Puppy or Dog or other. If it's a bit of a mess it's because non-Puppy exists on a Puppy forum. So it's certainly not Puppy's fault or responsibility. They are guests. Act like it.

Respecting the distro. Unlike some people who shall not be named (ok, like wiak) that constantly make snide remarks about Puppy 'stewards' and constantly criticize Puppy programs and methodologies. Many are just carrying on what exists now and is baked into the product. So what you're really doing without the courage to do in the open is criticizing Barry's methods. Hey, it might be quick and dirty, but it works. And a whole bunch of quick and dirty working adds up to a very popular distro that got into the top 20 in Distrowatch and probably more real support than that. Why don't you try that with your Wiak Linux or whatever.

Respecting the name Puppy. The Puppy name is still owned by Barry, correct? Many popular projects for whatever reason have not used the name Puppy, such as Fatdog, Dog Linux (Debiandog) etc. But it has been common for derivatives or spins to adopt the suffix Pup if they are built from the same tools. They may look different on the outside, but the innards are still Puppy, like Macpup or LxPup etc. But corepup? TazPuppy? That's stretching it a bit. Since Dog is kind of taken by the DebLive family, maybe tiny Mutt or Taz Hound or something could be used. Just not Puppy.

As for this thread, as I said before, the subject could be of some use, the message is not wrong, it's the messenger.(yes that's you wiak) Trouble is, you really don't think things through, and have come up with a few boneheaded ideas before. Yet you think you're always right. Resistant to change or input, constantly telling others that you know the right way to do it.

It's been said that a wise man understands how ignorant he is, while a fool thinks he knows everything.

I understand how ignorant I am. Wiak, you think you know everything.<mic drop>
wiak

PostPosted: Tue 12 Mar 2019, 15:24    Post subject:  

jd7654 wrote:
This post is not what it purports to be. "Distributions Supported on Murga Forum" maybe should be "Wiak's opinion of which Distributions should be Supported on Murga Forum."
Or maybe this is some kind of list of different underlying architecture types, I dunno, it does not make a cohesive presentation.
The categories lack detail, scope and context. No status or description of following or release and polished or baked in status. No subcategories or family listings, underlying Woof, WoofCE, LFS, no mention of desktop and Rox. And maybe should have a separate section honorable mentions of other distros or spins which may not be supported or proper "Puppy" distros, etc, etc.

But now (below) we hear that it's not the 'post' that's wrong, it is the messenger. So the above complaint was simply a fake message to allow a personal trolling attack:

jd7654 wrote:
As for this thread, as I said before, the subject could be of some use, the message is not wrong, it's the messenger.(yes that's you wiak) Trouble is, you really don't think things through, and have come up with a few boneheaded ideas before.

So not a technical issue, but rather a personal gripe - trolling.

And the troll hardly uses Puppy (or Dogs) nowadays since using Windows 10:

jd7654 wrote:
I rarely check in here nowadays. Mainly just check out the latest of Barry's creations, or latest Fatdog or something. Used and supported Dogs in the past but just don't use Dog or Puppy much on my current platforms: newer Windows 10 laptops and Chromebooks.

Fred supports the first post in this thread and has also asked for it to be made sticky. Go away jd7654 troll.

[EDITED once to evidence jd7654 as troll. The poster has bluntly stated his main issue as being personal against 'wiak', which is trolling; forum moderator please take notice]

Last edited by wiak on Tue 12 Mar 2019, 16:15; edited 1 time in total
darry19662018

PostPosted: Tue 12 Mar 2019, 15:29    Post subject:  

If jd7654 had bothered to read the Taz Puppy thread he would know it is a Puppy Linux/Slitaz Hybrid, So as far as I am concerned his own contributions lack credibility.

https://freemedia.neocities.org/
jd7654

PostPosted: Tue 12 Mar 2019, 15:54    Post subject:  

darry19662018 wrote:
If jd7654 had bothered to read the Taz Puppy thread he would know it is a Puppy Linux/Slitaz Hybrid...<snip>

jamesbond wrote:
"Puppy Linux" as a distro must come from Woof-CE.

To call yourself Puppy, you mush come from Woof-CE. Pup suffix is debatable for a hybrid without all Puppy functionality. And the Core one is not even a Pup.
wanderer

PostPosted: Tue 12 Mar 2019, 16:08    Post subject:  

on a positive note

what are your favorite puppy and puppy inspired projects past and present

for me

214 classic was great

pupngo was awesome

i still use 217 for compiling gtk1 apps and to see the pretty icons

i wish there was an easy way to make pupngo with woof-ce

and thanks everyone (i mean everyone)

for being a part of the puppy community

wanderer
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 12 Mar 2019, 16:15    Post subject:  

wiak wrote:
Fred supports the first post in this thread and has also asked for it to be made sticky. Go away jd7654 troll.

Shouldn't be about me and the discussion in previous posts is very off-topic IMO, please let's drop anything personal (better use PM for that, so we all don't have to read it) and focus on original subject that bigpup has brought up (and wiak's action did follow up on that) , what's the best to avoid confusion between real Puppy and Puppy-like projects.

Flash, where are you ? Any reason to not make this thread sticky ? (or at least first post)
And why not reply to any of the PM's sent to you from a few forum members about this.
Only I can guess, to much different opinions about the subject ? (but I'd like to hear what's your view)

Fred

wiak

PostPosted: Tue 12 Mar 2019, 16:26    Post subject:  

Poster jd7654 has clearly stated that his main issue is personal (against me), which as I said in my one edit to last post is trolling and I ask the moderator to deal with that, since such trolling is disruptive to work:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1021527#1021527

It actually doesn't matter to me who supports the first post or not - I posted it simply because I think the information on it is helpful for newcomers (and some regulars). It is fine for people to disagree with it; I understand the concerns from both sides.

As I have already stated, my first post in this thread was simply my attempt at an active/do-something response to the concern raised by bigpup on other thread. I have since suffered several attacks and certainly they wear me down such that it becomes difficult not to respond. Hence the term 'trolling', which is akin to fishing I suppose, and the need for forum moderator more generally. Even my wife is worried by the aggressive nature/comments of jd7654 and has asked me to leave the forum, but I've reassured her that such things just happen on forums like this but not to worry.

wiak

EDIT: jd7654, by the way, changed his last post by re-wording what was his claim against TazPup that "jamesbond says that anything not built on woof-CE is not a Pup". Typical troll behaviour. EDIT2: I'm wrong on that one, sorry - I see now that the jamesbond info was a quote he did include.

Last edited by wiak on Tue 12 Mar 2019, 16:57; edited 1 time in total
wiak

PostPosted: Tue 12 Mar 2019, 16:40    Post subject:  

I have no more to add or say about my first post. The forum moderator Flash, did not respond to the PM I sent him about it some time ago either.

If it is of no use to anyone, that is fine. Hopefully something active will be done to address the original concern raised by bigpup though that would need active forum administration/moderation.

wiak

Last edited by wiak on Tue 12 Mar 2019, 17:21; edited 1 time in total
jd7654

PostPosted: Tue 12 Mar 2019, 16:49    Post subject:  

wiak wrote:
EDIT: jd7654, by the way, changed his last post by re-wording what was his claim against TazPup that "jamesbond says that anything not built on woof-CE is not a Pup". Typical troll behaviour.

Don't know what you're referring to. None of my posts above were edited once posted. Everyone knows Puppy must come from Woof-CE.

Anyway, apologies to all if you were upset by my postings. I saw someone repeatedly being attacked and I couldn't stay silent any longer. I said my peace. Out.
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 12 Mar 2019, 16:55    Post subject:  

jd7654 wrote:
Anyway, apologies to all if you were upset by my postings. I saw someone repeatedly being attacked and I couldn't stay silent any longer. I said my peace. Out.

In my view, you were not contributing anything about the subject, only criticizing.
EDIT: Am I right or am I right ?!
(stole that sentence from "The Singing Detective" TV series, a must see, btw Very Happy )

Fred

tallboy

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2019, 16:15    Post subject:  

I really don't think the contents of this thread should be in a 'sticky'. The original intentions for it's creation were most likely well meant, but hey...
wiak

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2019, 05:33    Post subject:  

So it strikes me that I have wasted my time writing the first post of this thread since the forum admin/moderator Flash has not made it a sticky (or indeed chosen to make any comment about the matter whatsoever).

I do not believe the first post contains anything but fact. Having not been made 'sticky', it will of course disappear from view once it drifts down as newer threads replace it, and it is apparent from some negative comments that that will make some people happy. Invisibility of the current situation regarding this forum and the diversity of distributions long now being developed here is apparently a good thing in some minds.

I am not happy with that and especially not the impolite lack of response to my PM'd 'please make sticky request'. A waste of time is not pleasant, though it is certainly true that no-one requested me to do the work; however, the same goes for all of the many projects I have contributed or contributed to on this forum since joining 12 years ago, and continued to share and work on voluntarily.

wiak

s243a

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2019, 13:15    Post subject:  

wiak wrote:
So it strikes me that I have wasted my time writing the first post of this thread since the forum admin/moderator Flash has not made it a sticky (or indeed chosen to make any comment about the matter whatsoever).

I do not believe the first post contains anything but fact. Having not been made 'sticky', it will of course disappear from view once it drifts down as newer threads replace it, and it is apparent from some negative comments that that will make some people happy. Invisibility of the current situation regarding this forum and the diversity of distributions long now being developed here is apparently a good thing in some minds.

I am not happy with that and especially not the impolite lack of response to my PM'd 'please make sticky request'. A waste of time is not pleasant, though it is certainly true that no-one requested me to do the work; however, the same goes for all of the many projects I have contributed or contributed to on this forum since joining 12 years ago, and continued to share and work on voluntarily.

wiak

I thought it was a good first post and we can always link to it in discussion when needed Smile
Page 7 of 13 [188 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: