Distributions created by Forum members

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
wanderer

#31 Post by wanderer »

thank you wiak

wanderer

wiak

#32 Post by wiak »

sorry wanderer, posts crossed. I don't understand what you mean by "project's subforum". What is that?

wanderer

#33 Post by wanderer »

there are 2 main subforums
where people post their project threads

puppy derivatives

and

puppy projects

things that are not derivatives of puppy
could be considered puppy projects

so I suggest that
voluntarily
the non puppy based projects
be restricted to the puppy projects subforum

this would leave the rest of the forum for puppy stuff
but still leave a place for the non puppy based projects

so we would be out of the way
but have a limited section
where people knew non puppy based projects lived

does anyone have an opinion on this proposal

wanderer

wiak

#34 Post by wiak »

Wanderer, I see. That's fine, I'd be grateful though if that re-organisation discussion could be continued on the other thread which was about such matters, since this thread here is solely about my first post idea. I'm referring to the discussion thread that started this all off:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 34#1019934

ITSMERSH

#35 Post by ITSMERSH »

So, now we do have two different topics devolving into the same issue.

Lots of talk but solution: none

As usual...

:lol:

wiak

#36 Post by wiak »

ITSMERSH wrote:So, now we do have two different topics devolving into the same issue.

Lots of talk but solution: none

As usual...

Sorry, ITSMERSH, but negative comments don't help. The other thread referred to was the 'talk':
This thread is solely about an idea I proposed and being a do-ocracy, I created the post I suggested - but this is not the general discussion thread. This is an implementation of but one idea from that (it is the opposite of 'just talk'). I'd certainly like to see the forum re-built such that all distributions get fair share of exposure.

However, post what and where as you wish - up to the moderators to tidy the mess in the end.
Last edited by wiak on Sun 03 Mar 2019, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.

wanderer

#37 Post by wanderer »

no problem guys

I thought they were the same issue

but that is all I really have to say

so I will just continue to follow this thread with great interest

I think a lot has already been accomplished

in just highlighting some interesting projects

wanderer

ITSMERSH

#38 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi wiak.

I don't see any negative comments to the issue in my post.
The other thread referred to was the 'talk'. This thread is solely about an idea I proposed and being a do-ocracy, I created the post I suggested - but this is not the general discussion thread.
I think almost all of those other posters within this thread needs this information much more urgent than myself. :wink:

wiak

#39 Post by wiak »

wanderer wrote:I thought they were the same issue
Yes, one implementation to do with the same issue, so fine, maybe other post now considered dead so in that case that bigger discussion might as well continue here too. I see your point - both about same matter really.

fredx181

#40 Post by fredx181 »

The description of the "Puppy Projects" section says: "A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects"

In my opinion wiak's first post should not be considered as "cataloguing" (as wiak already stated). As I see it, the only goal is to roughly list most types of different distributions presented on murga-linux and therefore avoid confusion for users about what-is-what as much as possible.

What could be added to first post maybe is that for the "other-than-real-puppy" distributions, that any comments, questions, bug reports etc.. should be posted in the specific threads about that particular distribution, so that all other sections won't be "polluted" by it.
wanderer wrote:I would like to see
all
puppy and non puppy based
old and new
distros
listed and reviewed here
That's nearly impossible, I think, and also not the purpose of this thread IMO.

Fred

wanderer

#41 Post by wanderer »

as we are a community with all the best intentions

let us all work together for the common good

wanderer

Last edited by wanderer on Sun 03 Mar 2019, 22:52, edited 3 times in total.

wiak

#42 Post by wiak »

ITSMERSH wrote: I think almost all of those other posters within this thread needs this information much more urgent than myself. :wink:

I think the words "urgent" and "need" are more than a little over-the-top ;-)

ITSMERSH

#43 Post by ITSMERSH »

wiak wrote:
ITSMERSH wrote: I think almost all of those other posters within this thread needs this information much more urgent than myself. :wink:

I think the words "urgent" and "need" are more than a little over-the-top ;-)
Nope!

wiak

#44 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote: What could be added to first post maybe is that for the "other-than-real-puppy" distributions, that any comments, questions, bug reports etc.. should be posted in the specific threads about that particular distribution, so that all other sections won't be "polluted" by it.
Very true. Done. (Except that real-puppy distribution questions shouldn't generally be posted in other distributions threads either, so your comment is universal).

mavrothal

#45 Post by mavrothal »

== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

wiak

#46 Post by wiak »

Mavrothal, what a load of utter rubbish you are writing! "Evasive"...??!!!! How dare you sir. Talk about over-reaction to a simple post. There is nothing whatsoever "evasive" in my post (it being pretty simple actually) and you really shouldn't go about falsely accusing people in that manner. I came up with the idea on the other thread in an attempt to provide something actively positive to address issues perceived by others. That was in this post I made on this other thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 82#1019982
wiak wrote:What would be good would be to have a sticky post in Projects section, explaining what FatDog is, what Debian/Ubuntu Dogs are, and also of course a summary of what actual Pups are: in each case providing a link to the websites for each of these projects. That is:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/

http://puppylinux.com
Rather than just "talking" I followed the Puppy claimed do-ocracy principle and tried to create something useful. That's all. It's a simple post, which I am perfectly free to make. You can make you own if you wish by the way; or not! :-)

Mind you, I was careful to not list the distros in alphabetical order - instead, listing Puppy at the top, followed by EasyOS, because I know there are people like you on the forum (and hence also included Quirky, despite it being discontinued, though also because, why not?; it is different and may well still be useful for someone). Then I put FatDog and only listed the Debian-based Dogs after that since I've noticed you making such a fuss noise about them in the past also. I am not a developer of the Dogs by the way - maybe helped a bit at one stage (others to judge that - I don't care). Did far more on Puppy itself prior to that and certainly always dabbled with tiny core and, to a limited extent, Slitaz; so what! Such a crime.

But as for my post and it appearing so "evasive" to you. Grow up man and try and get a good sleep.

wiak

EDIT: As for your claim that no-one has problems finding correct/relevant distribution threads - even a recent example to show otherwise: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 12#1019912
Or I am MrDuckGuy and this is all a contrived plot against you and Puppy more generally? Goodness gracious...sigh

makepup: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=965541
Last edited by wiak on Fri 08 Mar 2019, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#47 Post by mavrothal »

Ignoring all the other points in my posts and attacking my clearly state "personal" issue, I think clears things up. Thank you.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

wiak

#48 Post by wiak »

No problem. Thank you mavrothal.

wiak

#49 Post by wiak »

So, anyway guys, those of us who have been here long enough know that the Puppy Linux forum contains content about several distributions as well as Puppy. But one of the listed Puppy "stewards" objects to me (and presumably anyone else) posting what these distributions are since that would mean we are feeling "under-appreciated" and have some anal "desire for self-recognition". Such a simple post as well. Go figure.

I suppose it is important to hide things from newcomers, best you can, that you don't want seen. One method is to deny speech.

The tactic sounds familiar to me.

Anyway, I'll do my best to continue to update my post according to whatever distros appear or disappear, whether the post is made sticky or not. I only wanted the first post, and the rest of this thread to help me modify it for any errors - personally I am satisfied with it now - it's pretty simple really, despite the mad reaction it created in one person.

But please read my first post on this thread and ask yourself, truly, is there something awful in what is written there? Certainly evoked quite an outburst from that particular Puppy steward, which I find quite sad really.

mikeslr

Re: Major distributions available via Murga Forum

#50 Post by mikeslr »

Hi wiak, mavrothal & All:

I think this thread is useful. But if someone as usually easy-going as mavrothal becomes upset than there may be a good reason to revisit the original post and ask why. I suggest the reason is because the post was interpreted beyond the purpose and intent the wiak had. That purpose was neither to exhaustively catalog every distribution nor favor one distribution over another. My understanding is that purpose was to alert the new Forum user of a rich diversity and its consequences. Perhaps more emphasis on that aspect would help. May I suggest:
wiak wrote:Current version of this post is dated: xx March 2019

Murga Puppy Linux Forum has expanded over the years. It now provides not only Puppy distributions, but also a number of similarly small and flexible distributions, which were inspired by Puppy and generally provide some of the look-and-feel and functionality of Puppy itself but using other distribution methodologies, such as for example being based on unique container system, Debian Live, Linux From Scratch, Tiny Core Linux, or Slitaz etc. And everyone has the right to create or remaster (make a 'spin' or fork) her or his own distribution and bring it to the attention of the Forum.

One result of that increased diversity is that not every application created for one distribution, nor technique for accomplishing some task in one distribution, may work in another distribution. Forum users should be particularly careful to post any comments, questions, bug reports etc.. about any particular distribution in the specific sections/threads assigned for that distribution. Carefully posting in appropriate threads helps avoid confusion and avoids thread moderators having to waste time answering or re-directing inappropriate questions or comments. Each distribution has its own thread in either the Derivative Section, the Projects Section or the Cutting Edge Section. The following is not intended to be exhaustive, but rather to provide an overview of that diversity.

Amongst the downloadable distributions you can find in various sections of the forum are: