i am posting this from puppy 8 32 bit

light browser

everything is working great

looks very awesome

wanderer

musher0

#152 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

If anyone feels creative, in this post you will find a way to access a not-so-old
woof-CE-Testing archive enabling you to create a wide range of Puppies. Please go
and see, the list is rather long, and it would not be appropriate to repeat it.

Unfortunately, Woof-CE is not offering creative Puppyists such a wide choice of builds
anymore, AFAIK. Hopefully, some of you will be the next generation of Puppy-builders!

Enjoy!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

wanderer

#153 Post by wanderer »

hi all

just posting

i am now using bionicpup32
and it is working great

its great to be back using a puppy again
i had forgotten a lot

i stopped using puppy
because i couldn't get any of the new puppies to work

then i started playing with corepup

maybe i will eventually woof-ce a puppy after all

i will also continue to play with corepup of course
since that is also a great system

will post again soon

wanderer

fredx181

#154 Post by fredx181 »

hi wanderer,
i will also continue to play with corepup of course
since that is also a great system

Sure, corepup can become great, but I think you should try getting some help from puppy developers to make it being more like a Puppy, by maybe e.g. including programs adopted from Puppy, if possible, support for .pet packages etc...
Working on it alone is... just alone, not very stimulating IMHO.

Fred

wanderer

#155 Post by wanderer »

thank you fredx

yes i need help

i need to know how to change puppy sfs files and pets

into ordinary folders

than i can either symlink the folder to root

or make them into a tcz

also i need to look at the deb2tcz script

im working on it but slowly and inexpertly as usual

thanks for the encouragement

wanderer

mikeslr

#156 Post by mikeslr »

wanderer wrote:thank you fredx

yes i need help

i need to know how to change puppy sfs files and pets

into ordinary folders

than i can either symlink the folder to root

or make them into a tcz

also i need to look at the deb2tcz script
Hi Wanderer,

ITMERSH's PaDS 1.1.4, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 922#998922 can already make use of .tazpkg's as well as other containers in the creation of SFSes and Pets. During the creation process it decompresses the 'source' container into a folder. However, that folder ceases to exist when the pet or sfs has been created.

Perhaps, if asked nicely, ITSMERSH could either modify PaDS or make a special version for use with Corepup to (a) either generate a tcz or (b) leave the 'Work-folder' in existence.

(b) Would be easier: merely copy the 'Work Folder' before compression. (a) would require knowing differences, if any, between how puppy structures and uses files; and, if nothing else, any special requirements pertaining to generating menu-listings. [By way of illustration, debs created for debian or Ubuntu often use "Category" definitions not employed by Puppies].
Last edited by mikeslr on Tue 26 Mar 2019, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.

wanderer

#157 Post by wanderer »

thanks mikslr

sounds great

i will check into it
maybe i can stop the script before it deletes the folder

wanderer

wanderer

#158 Post by wanderer »

i am checking it now

he has done fantastic work

wanderer

mikeslr

#159 Post by mikeslr »

It's been a while since I examined PaDS carefully; and coding isn't my 'strong-suit'. But, I know there's a point just before a pet or SFS is created where User input takes place: such as to select among multiple icons for the menu - or just press "Finish". Shouldn't be difficult to include a 'copy folder to somewhere' command just after that, before compression occurs.

Even more comprehensive would be SFS's UExtract which can decompress pets, and tcz's among scores of containers, creating a folder within which are a copy of all the files from the container organized according to the structures they had in the container.

wanderer

#160 Post by wanderer »

thanks mikeslr

looks like just what i need

wanderer

backi

#161 Post by backi »

Hi you guys !
In case you did not know ITMERSH has been banned , because of rude/nasty Behavior to nic007.
In my opinion he went more than quite far... but I am no Friend of banning .......he better had apologized to nic007 .
His Talent is really missed and needed.....lots of cool Tools he created ....
Don`t know from what Devil he was ridden ,
But that`s the Way it is .

fredx181

#162 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Hi you guys !
In case you did not know ITMERSH has been banned , because of rude/nasty Behavior to nic007.
In my opinion he went more than quite far... but I am no Friend of banning .......he better had apologized to nic007 .
His Talent is really missed and needed.....lots of cool Tools he created ....
Don`t know from what Devil he was ridden ,
But that`s the Way it is .
Yes, sad that he went, btw, he requested himself to Flash to be banned from the forum.
I have the feeling that it didn't have to do only with the fight he had with nic007.
Maybe he just needed to force a situation like that because he wanted to start a "new" life (whatever that might be) :roll: :?:
(but just a guess really, who am I to analyze his personality from distance)

Fred

backi

#163 Post by backi »

Maybe he will reincarnate in a renewed Body/Personality after his Death ..... freed from his Past- Life Karma . :wink: :wink:

See you Fred !

wiak

#164 Post by wiak »

In case anyone forgets what distros contain threads/support on this forum please refer to first post of this thread.

Personally I've stopped all dev work for Puppy or woof-CE/makepup since this distro-support information is not being made sticky in some form or another.

I suggest Xenial or Bionic Dog to new users (note I'm referring to the Dog versions, not the similarly named Pups, which are no smaller but are limited in comparison to these Ubuntu-based Dogs); also, Void Linux for those keen on helping to develop an independent distribution. The Dogs provide all the nice dev tools and utilities and ease-of-use out of the box. Void Linux is superb but currently for full install use and needs additions added per a user's taste - but great for tinkering with as a developer or someone wanting to build a new slimmer (live or frugal) distro based on it.

The following are the murga-forum threads for 64bit versions of Bionic and XenialDog. I don't use Cinnamon version since that slows down my system too much. 32bit versions of these Dogs are also available in 'Puppy Projects' section.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113210
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109476

For more info, refer to: https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/

Hence I keep two distros on my dev machine: XenialDog64 since has everything immediately on hand for working with squashfs, aufs, overlayfs and more + Void Linux for my dev tinkering/programming etc pursuits.

BionicDog64 or XenialDog64 also tend to work flawlessly, but also have great forum support and good user interface (including great right-click selection operations in PCManFM File Manager; Rox Filemanager is also available, though I personally rarely use that).

The only thing that occasionally/very-rarely might give a problem (applies to all distributions, including Pups) would be if your hardware did not have some small piece of firmware included by default with the Dog (though most are well covered). However, that is generally an easy issue to track down and fix - you would just need to ask on the appropriate Dog thread.

wiak

wanderer

#165 Post by wanderer »

hi wiak

are you still working on your tinycore/slitaz project
and is there a thread for it

edit
oh sorry i did not see your posts on slitaz
are you working on any minimal modular stuff like tinycore

also i am going to keep posting on this thread to keep it up
since that is the only way available
i think the puppy forum guys probaly just have too much in their plate

thanks for all your work
we all appreciate it

wanderer

wanderer

#166 Post by wanderer »

hi all

just a reminder of the great variety of distros
available on the puppy forum

i have been using upupbb a lot
great distro
in my opinion as polished as linux mint

but this has encouraged me to try the other ones
like i said i stopped using many of them
because there was a period where i could not get them to work
but this period seems to have passed

wanderer

wiak

#167 Post by wiak »

wanderer wrote: are you working on any minimal modular stuff like tinycore
I'm concentrating on adding some Dog-like facility to Void Linux at the moment, but yes I am hoping to generalise that work into more modular form to be used in other distros such as with Slitaz, tiny core, and I wouldn't like to limit any such 'modular' work to any few distros. I'm actually interested in combining some tricks and facilities/utilities from all the small distros into some kind of bolt-on addons. Seems such a waste that all these distros have some great utilities/functionality/facilities that had so much work go into them, but only used on their target distro (or re-invented wheels) when in reality many of them could also be usefully used in other small distros without adding hardly any bloat (since such utilities/facilities are often tiny in size and resource usage). That is one reason I think narrow-minded distro protectionism is against the greater good to Linux community as a whole, and backward as a form of creative thinking.

It is not so much that ideas should be 'stolen/forked' but rather that true diversity naturally results in the rich products of such diversity, which ideally should be modular and able to be bolted on and off (just as we love sfs-load capabilities in Pups and Dogs for example). We should, for example, be able to switch-in or switch-out different package managers and even create ways for these to communicate with each other so they don't have to step on each others toes (so designing-in the installation of specially tailored compiled apps along with say official 'debs or slitaz or tinycore or void' apps in such a way to avoid confict) with, I imagine, some layer of software designed to protect the system from potential conflicts; that might be simply a matter of checking compatible libs or in more difficult cases using a multiplicity of sandboxes/container-technologies.

Puritanical (pure/official/woof-CE pup, for example) thinking is conservative and medieval in technological terms (and very ostrich-in-the-sand-like in terms of this forum's current administration); really there is nothing 'wrong' with a mongrel dog/pup/core/taz/void etc etc, in whatever shape and form most interests its users. And how wonderful a distro that could be forged into any of these or all of these, in part or whole - no such thing then as a single distro - but some upper abstraction that allows any combination to work in a unified rich application-dependant manner. Why restrict ourselves (in this forum community) when in theory there is no such restriction - just different ideas, methods, implementations - all of which can be treated like blocks of Lego to build a true rainbow of 'a' distribution - or pick and choose at run time... Sure, some things have to be 'compatible' but there are ways and means to allow even complete difference to be absorbed without conflict. I'm not sure such a new development should still be called 'Puppy' - that was a wonderful wee distribution from the past and nostalgicly nice that it is still 'current' (in terms of remaining able to use up-to-date repos) and available, but times have changed, and a new distro can be all a Pup was and a lot more than that besides (the Dogs have already proved this).

There seems to be renewed attempts to bolster traditional Puppy support in the form of "Let's make Puppy Great Again" propaganda with new logos and artwork designs being called for from the Puppy community 'masses' for some as-yet-to-come woof-CE Puppy. All well and good?... I think what is actually required is a forum-wide call for a new 'family' name for the new distro/mongrels and venture: a wake-up call, which should start with high regard and visibility for the various creative alternatives and efforts currently to be found in the various threads and sections of this forum.

This forum is not about Puppy, though that product is what it began its life with. Rather, this particular Murga Linux community is the result of the multiple creative minds of its members; the community is not the result of some woof-CE generated Pup being forced/advertised/prioritised upon the (the once upon a time Puppy-only) forum members as the One and Only True Pup - times change, and so has the forum, and what it does and represents. This (n)ever-being-allowed-to-drown thread is but a small reflection of that.

wiak

wanderer

#168 Post by wanderer »

hi wiak

yes

i think this thread is a great place to discuss and showcase
"alternative" puppy inspired ideas and distros

i also agree that the idea of making applications into modules
from multiple systems is a great idea

then people would only need to use and develop
the modules and cores that they needed

and there could be a repository of cores and modules
to mix and match to make distros

this would be useful for puppy-ce as well
since their components could be made into modules

perhaps a script or recipe
to make apps and cores could be put together

my suggestion is to develop tinycore because

1. the cores and many modules
are already made and are actively being developed

2. i think the symlink system is superior to the layered file system

anyway

thanks for continuing to look into this area
since (unlike me) you have both the vision and the skill to do it

wanderer

mavrothal

#169 Post by mavrothal »

wanderer wrote: i think this thread is a great place to discuss and showcase
"alternative" puppy inspired ideas and distros
:wink:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

wanderer

#170 Post by wanderer »

hi mavrolthal

thanks for your support

yes this thread may solve the problem

wanderer