Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 12 Dec 2019, 08:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-802/801/800 Final [21 May 2019]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 30 [446 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 28, 29, 30 Next
dr. Dan

PostPosted: Mon 11 Mar 2019, 22:02    Post subject: Fatdog drive mounter aka pmount  

I'm transitioning to 800, and am quite satisfied overall so far. Thanks as always. With a little fiddling (adding in missing libraries and such) I have GNUcash working (thanks again, 01Smokey).

I typically use the Fatdog drive mounter rather than the desktop icons, as I rarely see my desktop. The options on the drive icons were altered so that the safe removal option isn't available while the USB drive is mounted. Perhaps the drive mounter app should be similarly altered. Also, is there an easy way to cause this app to start when a drive is plugged in? I looked at the code, but it was beyond me.

Dan
jamesbond

PostPosted: Mon 11 Mar 2019, 22:58    Post subject:  

jake29: Looking at your laptop model, this seems to be an issue elsewhere too.

One that has been suggested is to create a file /etc/modprobe.d/dell.conf and has this line in it:
Code:
options snd-hda-intel model=basic
and the reboot. If this doesn't work replace "basic" with something else, the full list is available here: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sound/hd-audio/models.rst

dr.Dan: Thank you for the suggestions. And yes, it is possible for the drive mounter to be shown when a drive is plugged in. The place where you should start modifying is /usr/sbin/fatdog-drive-icon-frontend.sh, especially around line 144.
EDIT: It's easy enough to launch it when you plug in a new USB flash drive. The difficulty is to make sure that you only launch __ONE__ instance of drive mounter. Due to various kernel processing we could receive more the one "add" event, and ends up launching multiple instance of the pmount.

jake29

PostPosted: Wed 13 Mar 2019, 00:40    Post subject:  

@jamesbond - I wasn't able to make any progress with your suggestion. However booting into Ubuntu 18.10 I found internal speakers are fully functional and listed as 'broadwell-rt286.' Full hardinfo report attached.

Currently in Fatdog64-800 (Kernel 4.19.24-rt14):
Code:
# lsmod | grep '^snd' | column -t
snd_pcm_oss         53248   0   
snd_mixer_oss       28672   1   snd_pcm_oss
snd_hda_codec_hdmi  57344   1   
snd_hda_intel       32768   1   
snd_hda_codec       114688  2   snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_core        61440   3   snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_hwdep           16384   1   snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm             98304   5   snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_core
snd_timer           32768   1   snd_pcm
snd                 81920   10  snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_timer,snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,snd_mixer_oss

Ubuntu 18.10 (Kernel 4.18.0-10):
Code:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lsmod | grep '^snd' | column -t
snd_soc_sst_broadwell     16384   2
snd_soc_sst_haswell_pcm   90112   2   snd_soc_sst_broadwell
snd_soc_sst_firmware      28672   1   snd_soc_sst_haswell_pcm
snd_soc_sst_ipc           16384   1   snd_soc_sst_haswell_pcm
snd_soc_sst_dsp           32768   1   snd_soc_sst_haswell_pcm
snd_soc_rt298             40960   0
snd_hda_codec_hdmi        49152   1
snd_soc_rt286             40960   2   snd_soc_sst_broadwell
snd_soc_rl6347a           16384   2   snd_soc_rt298,snd_soc_rt286
snd_hda_intel             40960   2
snd_soc_core              229376  4   snd_soc_rt298,snd_soc_rt286,snd_soc_sst_haswell_pcm,snd_soc_sst_broadwell
snd_hda_codec             126976  2   snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel
snd_compress              20480   1   snd_soc_core
snd_pcm_dmaengine         16384   1   snd_soc_core
snd_hda_core              81920   3   snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_hwdep                 20480   1   snd_hda_codec
snd_seq_midi              16384   0
snd_seq_midi_event        16384   1   snd_seq_midi
snd_pcm                   98304   9   snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_soc_rt298,snd_hda_intel,snd_soc_rt286,snd_hda_codec,snd_soc_sst_haswell_pcm,snd_soc_core,snd_hda_core,snd_pcm_dmaengine
snd_rawmidi               32768   1   snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                   65536   2   snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device            16384   3   snd_seq,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi
snd_timer                 32768   2   snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                       81920   20  snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_timer,snd_soc_sst_haswell_pcm,snd_compress,snd_soc_core,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi
snd_soc_sst_acpi          16384   0
snd_soc_acpi              16384   1   snd_soc_sst_acpi
snd_soc_acpi_intel_match  20480   1   snd_soc_sst_acpi
hardinfo_ubuntu_report.html.zip
Description 
zip

Download 
Filename  hardinfo_ubuntu_report.html.zip 
Filesize  10.69 KB 
Downloaded  36 Time(s) 
jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 13 Mar 2019, 10:41    Post subject:  

jake29, that's a good catch.

Apparently our kernel don't have those drivers. I tried to compile them piece-meal but it requires too many changes (basically will have to compile the entire kernel to get the updated sound drivers). We may as well go with an updated kernel. We'll let you know.

jake29

PostPosted: Wed 13 Mar 2019, 10:48    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
jake29, that's a good catch.

Apparently our kernel don't have those drivers. I tried to compile them piece-meal but it requires too many changes (basically will have to compile the entire kernel to get the updated sound drivers). We may as well go with an updated kernel. We'll let you know.

Thanks. I get the impression adding support for Intel SST audio will make Fatdog64 compatible with numerous devices.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 13 Mar 2019, 10:56    Post subject:  

jake29 wrote:
Thanks. I get the impression adding support for Intel SST audio will make Fatdog64 compatible with numerous devices.
Yes, absolutely. We'll either make a hotfix that contains those drivers, or build a new kernel.

Our kernel is already as big as it is and we're trying to keep the size as slim as possible. We excluded snd-soc-* drivers because in the past they're just that - sound drivers for SoC (system-on-a-chip) systems, e.g. devices like your phone or router boards or raspberry pis; and since our kernel isn't targetting those devices, we don't build them. We didn't know the snd-soc-* drivers now encompasses devices like Intel laptops too. But now that we know, we'll include them for future builds.

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 13 Mar 2019, 11:19    Post subject:  

I have dealt with several SOC devices that had audio driver problems. The eventual solution was to get a cheap USB sound card and use headphones. Or channel the audio output to a bluetooth speaker.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2019, 08:41    Post subject:  

jake29, I have built the additional drivers for your laptop. They're available here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/iso/hotfix/800/sound-drivers-4.19.24-x86_64-1.txz. As usual, download them using the browser BUT DON"T INSTALL IT yet. Instead, once downloaded, navigate to them using Rox and once you find the file, right-click and choose "Install Package", and then reboot.

Note: this will overwrite your old audio drivers, so perhaps you want to test it on a spare savefile first before doing it on your main savefile.

Let me know how you go.

rcrsn51: Indeed, using USB audio is the easiest solution these days. They're cheap and they're plug and play most of the time.

Audio via bluetooth can be annoying especially if the BT dongle is separate; some of the very cheap BT dongles interferes with the Wifi so much you'd get stuttering if you try to play streaming audio.

jake29

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2019, 09:39    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
jake29, I have built the additional drivers for your laptop. They're available here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/iso/hotfix/800/sound-drivers-4.19.24-x86_64-1.txz. As usual, download them using the browser BUT DON"T INSTALL IT yet. Instead, once downloaded, navigate to them using Rox and once you find the file, right-click and choose "Install Package", and then reboot.

Note: this will overwrite your old audio drivers, so perhaps you want to test it on a spare savefile first before doing it on your main savefile.

Thanks for the quick response. No success so far with these drivers, only obvious change is that 'Chip' in AlsaMixer is now called: Intel Broadwell HDMI.

With new drivers installed:
Code:
# lsmod | grep '^snd' | column -t
snd_pcm_oss         53248   0   
snd_mixer_oss       28672   1   snd_pcm_oss
snd_hda_codec_hdmi  57344   1   
snd_hda_intel       32768   2   
snd_hda_codec       114688  2   snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_core        61440   3   snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_hwdep           16384   1   snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm             98304   5   snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_core
snd_timer           32768   1   snd_pcm
snd                 81920   12  snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_timer,snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,snd_mixer_oss

jamesbond

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2019, 09:48    Post subject:  

Hmmm, that's really odd. Did you reboot after installing? You need to reboot (and you need to a have a savefile/savedir). Please open terminal and type "modinfo snd-soc-sst-haswell" and see if you've good output or errors instead? If you see good output from "modinfo" above, please PM me output of dmesg.
jake29

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2019, 10:06    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
Hmmm, that's really odd. Did you reboot after installing? You need to reboot (and you need to a have a savefile/savedir). Please open terminal and type "modinfo snd-soc-sst-haswell" and see if you've good output or errors instead? If you see good output from "modinfo" above, please PM me output of dmesg.

Yes, I rebooted. Installed again and rebooted to make sure. Same result. PM sent.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Thu 14 Mar 2019, 10:25    Post subject:  

Thanks. I don't see anything from there. Must be some other drivers are still missing, because the sound drivers aren't loaded (I'm assuming you run the "modinfo" and you get good result, not error).

When you have the chance to reboot to Ubuntu, can you take its dmesg and post to me please.

jake29

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar 2019, 15:35    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
When you have the chance to reboot to Ubuntu, can you take its dmesg and post to me please.

Done. PM sent.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar 2019, 09:11    Post subject:  

Thanks jake29.

I don't see anything special in the Ubuntu dmesg (well not yet anyway).

But I do see something which I missed earlier - it seems that you're using the RT kernel (4.19.24-rt14 kernel). The sound drivers I built is for the standard kernel (4.19.24), can you please to test that with the standard (+ the modules)?

If this one can be proven to work with the standard kernel, I will build the same extra modules for the RT kernel too.

jake29

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar 2019, 17:11    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
But I do see something which I missed earlier - it seems that you're using the RT kernel (4.19.24-rt14 kernel). The sound drivers I built is for the standard kernel (4.19.24), can you please to test that with the standard (+ the modules)

Apologies. Now using the correct Kernel and getting the following:
Code:
# modinfo snd-soc-sst-haswell
filename:       /lib/modules/4.19.24/kernel/sound/soc/intel/boards/snd-soc-sst-haswell.ko
alias:          platform:haswell-audio
license:        GPL v2
description:    Intel SST Audio for Haswell Lynxpoint
author:         Liam Girdwood, Xingchao Wang
depends:        snd-soc-core,snd-soc-sst-haswell-pcm
retpoline:      Y
intree:         Y
name:           snd_soc_sst_haswell
vermagic:       4.19.24 SMP mod_unload modversions

No change in available sound cards however. Still no internal audio. I've sent you a PM with bugreport and dmesg.
Page 4 of 30 [446 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 28, 29, 30 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: