Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 19 Nov 2019, 23:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-802/801/800 Final [21 May 2019]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 22 of 28 [412 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 Next
ozsouth

PostPosted: Sat 10 Aug 2019, 20:00    Post subject:  

@chiefengineer - absolutely your choice. I wanted to point out for others benefit also that kernel 4.14 is a longterm supported one, until 2024, meaning it gets bugfixes & security updates till then. Future new drivers would need to be compiled for it.
ICPUG

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2019, 11:32    Post subject: Converting PETs to the New package format  

Hello

It has been a long time since I have posted on the forums but I have still been an avid Puppy user in the meantime.

I have been using Lighthouse Puppy 503g for most of my work but, because of more and more web pages not being rendered by the Opera browser of that era (due to security protocol changes), I now have to use something more modern.

I have recently installed Fatdog64-802 (frugally on my hard drive) and it looks as if it could be what I am looking for. Admittedly, looking at the start of this thread where ‘Changes from version 701’ showed Wine mentioned, I thought Wine was built in to Fatdog – one of my needs. Subsequent investigations shows this is not the case. However, I see 3 different versions are available as an sfs or can be installed via gslapt. My first query concerns these different versions. I would instinctively choose the latest version (4.0) but wonder why the previous versions are still there. Are there any potential problems of Wine version 4 I need to be aware of?

I would like to try and emulate the appearance of Lighthouse 503g if I can and so I need something like the Pwidgets and, possibly, the Wbar. Having read the Fatdog FAQ I thought I would first try using the pwidgets-2.5.8-x86-64.pet in Fatdog. Following the FAQ, I right clicked the .pet file in Rox and selected ‘Convert to new package format’. Nothing happened!

Looking around I found in /user/bin ‘pet2txz’ and, without knowing how to use this program, I thought I would try it. I used a terminal and traversed to the directory of my pet file and gave the command:

pet2txv pwidgets-2.5.8-x86-64.pet

After first showing a checksum this resulted in the error message:
ERROR: Package extension .archive is not supported

Any thoughts on why I cannot convert the .pet file?

Of course, I am going to find some programs in Lighthouse that are not in Fatdog. Because I always use frugal installs, I used Isomaster in Lighthouse to extract the files from an .iso file. Is there anything in Fatdog to do this task?

Thanks for your help.
step

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2019, 18:08    Post subject:  

I think the three sfs versions for wine simply reflect what was the latest version at the time Fatdog64 800, 801 and 802 were released or thereabouts. Personally I use wine 4.0 and haven't had a single problem with it. But I'm not a heavy wine user. I think jake29 is using and earlier version, perhaps as early as wine 2.x, due to some issues with his graphics setup. Hopefully he'll notice your post and chime in.

If dir2txz didn't work for you, you can try breaking down the steps as follows:

unpack the pet into a directory using uextract.
Click the blue question mark icon (FAQ) on the desktop. When Fatdog Help opens scroll down then click the link labelled "How can I make a new package?". Go directly to step 3 and follow the instructions to repack the unpacked directory into a txz file, which you can then install with gslapt (GUI) or slapt-get (terminal).

If you prefer an sfs to a package, you can do that too. Instead of clicking the previous link, click the one immediately under it, labelled "How can I make a new SFS package?" and follow the directions.

In Fatdog you can open an iso file as a read-only folder just by clicking its icon in rox. It will be mounted. Click the icon again to unmount it and close the folder.

dr. Dan

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2019, 14:30    Post subject:  

wbar is available in the 700 contrib repository. It may not work in 802. https://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/contrib/packages/700/

Cairo-dock is available in the 720 contrib repository, and does work in 802. https://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/contrib/packages/720/

Dan
ICPUG

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2019, 20:00    Post subject: Thank you for the response  

Thank you step and dr.Dan for the very helpful answers to all my questions. I shall now spend some time trying out the suggestions to add the extra Lighthouse Pup features to my Fatdog.

ICPUG
wiak

PostPosted: Sat 24 Aug 2019, 04:26    Post subject:  

fatdog wrote:
UML sandbox now supports NAT (previously only supported proxy ARP)

A long long long time ago, in quite early days of User Mode Linux, I was quite addicted to it - it was very useful to me back then. I had forgotten about it, but accidentally stumbled upon some work I once did using it. (Came across this whilst browsing for some info on Slackware root filesystems of all things...). I was living in Christchurch, New Zealand back then (2001) and worked for a while teaching at the local Polytech. Left there decades ago though. Second UML Case Study in the link below. I doubt if any of it is relevant now, but the scripts could be updated I suppose - UML probably changed a lot, and I no longer have a use for it myself since no longer teaching or need large virtual networks for student lab experiments - just my one laptop is enough for me... But yes, UML was fantastic - not the fastest of virtual machines, but so much slimmer than vmware and so on. I am however glad I'm retired from such needs nowadays:

"An implementation of a teaching network with UML"

http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/old/case-studies.html

Code:
implemented on a 1 GHz Pentium III system having 384 MBytes of RAM and a 20 GByte hard disk

1GHz Pentium III was 'quite' powerful at the time! Smile

My students uses to ssh into the uml virtual network server via dialup connection from home to complete lab assignments for me. Though did have vncserver for remote X connection too, via ssh tunnel (but dialup made using that somewhat frustrating).

wiak

tinycore/slitaz: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=990130#990130
quirkian2new

PostPosted: Sat 31 Aug 2019, 04:15    Post subject:
Subject description: remaster with "integrated initrd"

dear FD64 team ,

I noticed several months ago that there is now "integrated initrd" :
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/kernels/800/vmlinuz-initrd-4.19.44

I downloaded it and try on different machines. I noticed that this "integrated initrd" is capable of booting uefi machines that were supposed very difficult to boot.

I also observed that FD802's remaster script offered 4 options, that is :
-huge initrd
-small initrd
-medium initrd
-nano initrd

May i suggest that a fifth option "integrated initrd" can also be offered in remaster script ?

thanks in advance

note: I came across a machine with (hd0,gpt1), (hd0,gpt2) ....... (hd0,gpt6) where grub2(command prompt) gave "unrecognised filesystems" message. I then put the integrated initrd on a usb, grub2 recognised it as (hd1,msdos1) and then it boots ok, it successfully loaded the fd64.sfs on (hd0,gpt3) .
chapchap70

PostPosted: Mon 02 Sep 2019, 00:38    Post subject: Printer  

In 802, I got an error while trying to print. I did not use 800 or 801 so I don't know if this would have happened in those.

Quote:
Unable to launch Ghostscript: /usr/bin/gs: No such file or directory

I found that only ghostscript32 was installed so I installed the 64 bit version of ghostscript from gslapt to get my printer to work.
step

PostPosted: Mon 02 Sep 2019, 17:42    Post subject: Re: Printer  

chapchap70 wrote:
In 802, I got an error while trying to print. I did not use 800 or 801 so I don't know if this would have happened in those.

Quote:
Unable to launch Ghostscript: /usr/bin/gs: No such file or directory

I found that only ghostscript32 was installed so I installed the 64 bit version of ghostscript from gslapt to get my printer to work.

Thank you for your report. I'm glad you found a way to print.

Ghostscript is needed for some printer models. This is explained in section "Manufacturer provided drivers" in the help file (Click the blue question mark icon on the desktop then enter "ghostscript" without quotes in the search field in the upper right corner, press Enter, finally click the "Printing and printers" topic. Scroll down to the section I mentioned.)

There was a time in Fatdog64 history when ghostscript was installed in the base OS but since version 800 it isn't anymore, so you have to install it if your printer driver needs it.

kirk

PostPosted: Fri 06 Sep 2019, 22:12    Post subject:  

Quote:
May i suggest that a fifth option "integrated initrd" can also be offered in remaster script ?

That's something we should do. I'm glad you figured out what to do with it, I haven't did a good job documenting what the kernel/initrd thing is. For everyone else, it's the kernel with the firmware, modules, and initrd compiled into it. It does not include the FD64.sfs which is inside the "normal" initrd.
DrDeaf

PostPosted: Sun 08 Sep 2019, 23:30    Post subject:  

PROBLEM SOLVED

Greetings all,

I am doing a manufacturing project and for the technical information display I am using FD64 802, Azulle Inspire computer box (UEFI boot) and a “4K” TV display as a monitor.

This was the first UEFI setup for me and I had to study but FD64 boots, configured well and the graphics task is well done.

There is a problem with the internet access. The Azulle box has an Ethernet port and WiFi, and both seem to be connecting. I say that because every web site that I try (Google, major news sites or any attempt to connect anywhere) returns the warning “This Connection is Untrusted” regardless of which connection method is used. Here is a Google example: See attached "Untrusted..."

The warnings are always typical to this example. The certificate is said to be expired but it is not. The system time shown is close enough also.

I wanted to try looking through the BIOS to see if I could spot something that would cause a false security error but I need documentation from American Megatrends. The web site access is passworded and evidently for paying OEM customers only. If anyone can point me to where I can get a good configuration guide for this BIOS I will be grateful! Sorry for the weirdness in the image but I had to use a cellphone camera and I messed with the image just trying to improve legibility. See attached "AMI_BIOS..."

I must be missing something but I am stumped. Any help will be appreciated!

Edit: Well, Duh! "I must be missing something". I was right about that... Thanks Williams2. I had specifically considered that and looked but did not see. Just tired I guess.
AMI_BIOS.jpg
 Description   This shows BIOS and system information
 Filesize   103.97 KB
 Viewed   597 Time(s)

AMI_BIOS.jpg

UntrustedGoogleA.png
 Description   
 Filesize   125.9 KB
 Viewed   599 Time(s)

UntrustedGoogleA.png

Last edited by DrDeaf on Mon 09 Sep 2019, 09:19; edited 1 time in total
williams2

PostPosted: Mon 09 Sep 2019, 00:30    Post subject:  

Seamonkey says that the google security certificate expires

Nov 21, 2019

Seamonkey says the computer's clock is set to

Sept 7, 2119

That is 100 years from now, in the future.
chesterpeng

PostPosted: Tue 24 Sep 2019, 20:01    Post subject: request for audacious and plugins  

Could audacious and audacious-plugins be provided in the Fatdog64 800 repo? I find the pets in the 600 repo, unfortunately, they do not work in Fatdig64-800

edit: downloaded and tested, runs smoothly, thanks Gobbi!

Last edited by chesterpeng on Sun 29 Sep 2019, 17:26; edited 1 time in total
Gobbi

PostPosted: Wed 25 Sep 2019, 14:01    Post subject:  

Hi @chesterpeng Smile
You can find now here audacious Exclamation
Download it , put it somewhere in the system , rightclick on it and choose "Load SFS" . After you RestartX , you will find it in the Multimedia menu .
jake29

PostPosted: Mon 07 Oct 2019, 15:19    Post subject: Network Connectivity
Subject description: Certain apps unable to connect to internet

Hello folks. I have encountered an issue with my current install of Fatdog64-802. Since a recent shutdown, Opera and some other apps are unable to connect to the internet, however Kodi and SeaMonkey can. I have reset network settings and tried to assign static ips.

Is it possible a recent update package has caused this? Any suggestions appreciated.
Page 22 of 28 [412 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: