Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 19 Nov 2019, 23:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-802/801/800 Final [21 May 2019]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 28 [412 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 26, 27, 28 Next
don570

PostPosted: Sun 03 Mar 2019, 17:37    Post subject:  

I couldn't get KRITA appimage to work...

https://krita.org/en/download/krita-desktop/

Segmentation error

PostPosted: Sun 03 Mar 2019, 17:48    Post subject:  

Gobbi wrote:
.... Then , during the remaster , I point to the mounted ISO file where vmlinuz is . For comodity I place the output also in the /tmp folder . I always choose the Standard initrd .
This time , the remastered ISO file had the initrd without the kernel-modules.sfs . I thought something went wrong because of something I've done modifying the base ISO , but after I repeated twice using the downloaded ISO without any change the result was the same .
Gobbi, you have to point to vmlinuz itself, not just to its location.
Gobbi

PostPosted: Mon 04 Mar 2019, 07:21    Post subject:  

proebler wrote:
Gobbi, you have to point to vmlinuz itself, not just to its location.

@proebler , I'm sorry , I did not express correctly the idea . Actually I point to the vmlinuz file from the mounted ISO file from the /tmp directory . I always did so in the past few years , not to burn optical discs as I did before .
Also I noted that /usr/sbin/filemnt script has changed it's behavior . Up to FD721 , any initrd I opened I was offered the opportunity to repack it even itf it was opened from inside a mounted ISO file or from a locked USB key . Now it doesn't do it anymore which I think it's closer to what it could do .
jamesbond

PostPosted: Mon 04 Mar 2019, 10:01    Post subject:  

Congratulations Gobbi you catch the first bug of 800 Confused

I blamed stemsee Twisted Evil for this, if you read the last few posts of 800RC he asked for changes in the remaster process, which I complied, however, apparently I didn't test it enough. Hence the bug.

EDIT: Fix:
Use geany to open /usr/sbin/fatdog-remaster.sh.
Go to line 377.
At the beginning of that line, change the word "std" with "standard" (without the quotes).

Or you can install the hotfix as explained in this post: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1019926#1019926.

---

As for behaviour of filemnt on initrd - yes, this is expected. There is no point offering to re-pack it if the original initrd is located in read-only media.

Gobbi

PostPosted: Mon 04 Mar 2019, 13:42    Post subject:  

Thank you for fixing the issue , jamesbond Exclamation I'm glad to see it's easy to fix , now .
stemsee

PostPosted: Mon 04 Mar 2019, 14:05    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
Congratulations Gobbi you catch the first bug of 800 Confused

I blamed stemsee Twisted Evil for this, if you read the last few posts of 800RC he asked for changes in the remaster process, which I complied, however, apparently I didn't test it enough. Hence the bug..

Actually I dutifully tested the medium remaster option and couldnt boot. As usual I was doing several different things simultaneously and I wrongfully I assumed it was my fault!! Or rightfully assumed?!? The point is I found the bug first I just didn't report it.

ON 800RC after loading an sfs there is a long delay before the menu gets updated...if at all without an X-restart. Can something be done? (I am downloading 800 final now, so maybe not a problem anymore,)

stemsee

On a side note. My hp x2 g2 210 cherrytrail 2 in 1 has more supported hardware with this kernel, including the HP truevision webcam (previously not working). But no battery is detected....I mention this because on I think it is BionicDog or DebianDog the battery is detected and charge state is displayed. I dont know if this is down to systemd, or what but I tried swapping firmware and other stuff ... same situation with bytecr soundcard, apulse on Fred's Dogs makes bytecr available (if not yet configured correctly). I was just wondering what the difference is that in fatdog less hardware is picked up. I tried hunting down the difference but my knowledge of both systems and the underlying linux is only superficial. Any insights appreciated!
step

PostPosted: Mon 04 Mar 2019, 17:38    Post subject:  

stemsee wrote:
My hp x2 g2 210 cherrytrail 2 in 1 has more supported hardware with this kernel, including the HP truevision webcam (previously not working). But no battery is detected....I mention this because on I think it is BionicDog or DebianDog the battery is detected and charge state is displayed.

Kernel 4.19.24 in Fatdog64-800 final doesn't detect the battery on at least another system besides yours. For that system replacing the kernel with 4.14.102 and its kernel modules sfs fixed battery detection. The modules are the same versions that went into Fatdog64-721, so you might end up with fewer supported devices than with kernel 4.19.24.

stemsee

PostPosted: Mon 04 Mar 2019, 19:24    Post subject:  

OK Step

Thanks for quick reply. I will try to compare the configs and see if I can solve this mystery!

stemsee
jamesbond

PostPosted: Mon 04 Mar 2019, 20:45    Post subject:  

don570 wrote:

Segmentation error

This is caused by conflict between the included Qt5 libs in the AppImage and the Qt5 libs we have in Fatdog. When I disabled access to the host OS Qt5 library, it failed to lauch saying "missing Qt5 library" Confused (even though the library exist in Krita's AppImage).

I'm still quite curious why the embedded Qt5 attempted to access host OS Qt5 libs; I believe this is an oversight on their part as AppImage aren't supposed to access host OS libraries.

As a comparison VirtualBox ships with its own Qt5 libs too but it doesn't conflict with anything; and VirtualBox isn't even an AppImage.

SFR

PostPosted: Tue 05 Mar 2019, 06:00    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
don570 wrote:

Segmentation error

This is caused by conflict between the included Qt5 libs in the AppImage and the Qt5 libs we have in Fatdog. When I disabled access to the host OS Qt5 library, it failed to lauch saying "missing Qt5 library" Confused (even though the library exist in Krita's AppImage).

I'm still quite curious why the embedded Qt5 attempted to access host OS Qt5 libs; I believe this is an oversight on their part as AppImage aren't supposed to access host OS libraries.

As a comparison VirtualBox ships with its own Qt5 libs too but it doesn't conflict with anything; and VirtualBox isn't even an AppImage.

There's a similar conflict with Kiwix.
This works for me with both apps:
Code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH= ./krita-4.1.7-x86_64.appimage

Greetings!

Ron911

PostPosted: Tue 05 Mar 2019, 10:02    Post subject: Seamonkey browser
Subject description: Problem with video playback

Good afternoon (here in Belgium anyway Wink )

Fatdog still doing very well on my Acer Aspire 1.
But I found a little problem in the Seamonkey browser (that I don't have with another puppy running Pale Moon).

When I go to the website of the Belgian TV (www.vrt.be/vrtnu) and want to watch live tv I get the following error:
Something went wrong determining the initial Period of the provided MPEG-DASH stream

Is there a fix that I can apply to stop this from happening?
Or is it possible to install Pale Moon in Fatdog64 (and maybe a link to a tutorial on how to do this?)

Thanks and best regards
Ron
jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 05 Mar 2019, 10:08    Post subject:  

Wow SFR, that really works!
I tried clearing out LD_LIBRARY_PATH of anything from /opt/qt stuff, I cleared all the QT* environment stuff, and it __still__ tried to pull Qt stuff. Your method of totally clearing LD_LIBRARY_PATH did the trick.

All in all, I see that AppRun inside the krita.appimage is a symlink directly to usr/bin/krita. This is a mistake and they should have a script that clears out LD_LIBRARY_PATH before launching the actual binary.

Good afternoon to you too, Ron911 (it's midnight here Laughing ). Palemoon is available from gslapt. I use palemoon myself quite often and we usually track the latest version.

Ron911

PostPosted: Tue 05 Mar 2019, 10:51    Post subject:  

OK, thank you JamesB.
Palemoon installed and everything working.

Just to let you know (don't know if this is the normal way to do it), to have sound through hdmi on the tv I have to change the sound card settings from card 0 : analog to card 0 : hdmi 0
(and vice versa if I want sound from the laptop speakers again)
Sleep well

Ron
jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2019, 10:53    Post subject:  

Ron911 wrote:
Just to let you know (don't know if this is the normal way to do it), to have sound through hdmi on the tv I have to change the sound card settings from card 0 : analog to card 0 : hdmi 0
(and vice versa if I want sound from the laptop speakers again)
Yes, this is normal. Fatdog64 doesn't have a sound server (e.g. pulseaudio), sound goes directly to the programmed ALSA card. And which sound it will go depends on the configuration given when the program is started. Exception is program which can dynamically changes its output (e.g. psip, guvcview). Most programs don't.
Ron911

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2019, 14:52    Post subject:  

OK JamesB.
Thank you for explaining it.
Regards
Ron
Page 2 of 28 [412 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 26, 27, 28 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: