Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 09 Dec 2019, 07:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
NetSurf 3.9
Page 2 of 4 [49 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb 2019, 19:56    Post subject:  

The expanding lists at https://pkgs.org do not work for me in NetSurf either.
Obviously some sort of scripting which is not supported.

The .rpm package is a rather strange one in that it has 2 copies of the main executable, /usr/bin/netsurf-gtk is the same as /usr/lib/netsurf/nsgtk
The make install process renames as netsurf-gtk
Looks like they have added Russian language support.

The openssl linking is to 1.1 so it would be interesting to know if it will display the page(s) mentioned by foxpup.

Semme

PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb 2019, 20:02    Post subject:  

Hmm, https://pkgs.org caused a crash.

Ditto on the ru support.

Me thinks we need more / alternate testing..
peebee

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2019, 06:06    Post subject:  

musher0 wrote:
This Alt-Sisyphus package for Netsurf works OOTB

Thanks....
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/files/Other/LxPupSc/browsers/netsurf-3.8-alt2.i586.pet/download

tested on ScPup, UPupBB, UPupCC and LxPupSc

Netsurf has always had that problem with pull-down lists - but it is only c. 4MB compared with >>40MB for all the heavyweight browsers!!

greengeek

PostPosted: Fri 01 Mar 2019, 04:05    Post subject:  

Hi OscarTalks, the wheezy 3.8 version seems to work well in Slacko 5.6
Only cursory testing so far but promising...
cheers!
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sun 03 Mar 2019, 21:18    Post subject:  

More versions compiled in Tahr (32bit), Tahr (64bit), Xenial (32bit), and Xenial (64bit)
Uploaded for testing to http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks

keniv

PostPosted: Mon 04 Mar 2019, 13:31    Post subject:  

@OscarTalks
Can you suggest which of the versions you've compiled might work with Lucid 5287. I know it's old but I still use it. It's probably my favourite pup. Netsurf 3.7 used to work with Lucid though had its problems.

Regards,

Ken.

Edit. Tried the 32 bit versions for stretch and wheezy. Below is the output from a terminal when i try to run them. It's the same for both.

Code:
# netsurf
netsurf: /lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: version `OPENSSL_1.0.0' not found (required by netsurf)
netsurf: /lib/libssl.so.1.0.0: version `OPENSSL_1.0.0' not found (required by netsurf)
#
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Tue 05 Mar 2019, 07:18    Post subject:  

Hello Ken,

I'm afraid I wouldn't expect any of the 3.8 versions compiled so far to work in Lucid.

The libraries in Lucid tend to be older. These include libssl and libcrypto (openssl) as those error messages indicate. I believe the glib library version is also a factor.

I haven't tried to compile in Lucid yet, but I did try in Racy 5.5 and although the build completed there were some issues with the executable not finding its resources and lots of ssl errors on https websites which were not removed by installing the ca-certificates package. I am concerned that there may be similar problems with NetSurf 3.8 in Lucid, but I may take a look at it when I get some time.

keniv

PostPosted: Tue 05 Mar 2019, 12:35    Post subject:  

Hello Oscar Talks,
Thanks for your reply and explanation. I also have Racy 5.5 on the same old laptop on which I run Lucid. They both work well on it but I suspect that this is because they are both quite old. If you do find the time to compile it for Lucid I'll be happy to test.

Thanks again,

Ken.
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Tue 05 Mar 2019, 16:21    Post subject:  

Hello Ken,

As I suspected, far from perfect in Lucid.

Refuses to compile unless libcss-parser is installed as a build-tme dependency.
I couldn't find a lucid version of this, but it is part of the htmlcxx package so I grabbed the source and compiled that. The executable binary gperf is also required as usual.

Then NetSurf 3.8 will compile, but the executable fails to find its resources in the standard /usr/share/netsurf location. I can package things in different locations as a workaround (which I have done).

There are still lots of ssl issues so some sites will display but others refuse to "fetch".
I don't like uploading such things, but have done so for now in case you want to have a look at it.

keniv

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2019, 05:54    Post subject:  

Hello Oscar Talks,
I seem to have put you to a great deal of work in asking for a Lucid version of Netsurf 3.8 for which I can only apologise. I think the ssl problems were one of the issues with Netsurf 3.7. I'll download and try the Lucid version of 3.8 and report back. Thanks again for the work you did on this.

Regards,

Ken.
keniv

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2019, 13:44    Post subject:  

Hello Oscar Talks,
Have installed Netsurf 3.8 for Lucid. Am posting from it now. Have not tried to access many sites yet so have not had ssl problems. I seem to remember getting them trying to access this forum with 3.7 and I did not have a problem with 3.8, however, am not sure if my memory is serving me correctly here. I can't remember how to transfer a favourites list from another browser. When I work this out I will try the sites I use most and report back. I'd forgotten just how fast it was.

Regards,

Ken.
keniv

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2019, 15:08    Post subject:  

Found I had kept the hotlist file for 3.7 with the 3.7 .pet so used this to get a bookmarks list though it's a little dated. However, now starting to get quite a lot of "cannot fetch document" without getting onto the site. This includes sites I use a lot. I still think it works better than 3.7 did for me. Also posted a reply to this forum which did not appear on Netsurf but was infact there when I checked with another browser though this might have been due to a mistake on my part.

Regards,

Ken.

Edit This post appeared OK so likely the previuos post not appearing was my mistake.
8Geee

PostPosted: Sat 09 Mar 2019, 00:25    Post subject:  

Downloaded the sisyphus-alt2 by OscarTalks Slacko i486 version (14.1).

Easy to set up. Easy to run. Just put the pet in /usr. Personally altered the 48x48 icon to show 3.8, and lets surf...
Youtube... it needs a converter to download. For testing the D/L directory is root/Downloads.

This converter works
https://www.convertinmp4.com/

cookies need a manual toss at end of session. A 'prreference setting' check-box for that would be nice.

The adBlocker seems effective. But cookies get sent/received so THAT needs work. I did set up a 32Mb cache mem and disk. As reported mem gets cleared at quit, disk has a 1-day... not sure if zero means at quit, or never, so 1-day.

I ran htop to see about mem consumption
Puppy Slacko5.7 spin AtomicPup-XIX = 42Mb
NetSurf 3.8 here (1 Tab) = 104Mb +/- 1
FF27 configured as in AtomicPup-XIX = 280Mb +/- 5

Cannot edit About: config to tweak.
Bookmarks a bit different, but I can get used to that.

I think this is a very good to excellent mini-browser. Thanks Oscar and others that made this happen.
======================================================================================
My system for comparison
OpenSSL = 1.0.2p (upgraded from 1.0.1u, BUT newer updates need glibc 2.17+)
glibc = 2.15
mem = 2Gb
CPU = Atom N270
Frugal install to SanDisk Cruzer Fit (Stubby) USB2.0.

Regards
8Geee using netsurf to post this Smile

Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."
Smithy

PostPosted: Sun 10 Mar 2019, 15:58    Post subject:  

Yes indeed, a nice little zippy browser that looks like a cute firefox, I was using the wheezy netsurf, that works fine, but I think that is now removed.
I've pulled down a few other pets in case they are more compatible.

Just wondering if this browser would be able to handle those 'orrible sites that insist on the recapture thing, wouldn't work with recapture OscarTalks?

I tried getting a crypto 1.1 and ssl 1.1 but it all went to pot. Don't know if that would help anyways.

And a couple of sites that I did log into, it just gleefully replaced tha javacrap with a nice static picture, which is fine by me, it still functioned fine and quick.
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sun 10 Mar 2019, 22:05    Post subject:  

Hello Smithy,

The Wheezy NetSurf 3.8 got taken down the other day when I was having strange issues with uploading to the repo with filezilla and was trying to figure a few things out. Still not sure what that was but it all seems OK now.

I have uploaded it again now. For Wheezy users I think they will need this one, but although I still use Wheezy more than any other Pup I was not sure if others are still using it. Mine is extensively remastered so I also wanted to check that this NetSurf is OK in a fresh boot of original Wheezy and it seems to be, so long as the ca-certificates package is also installed. I recently uploaded a new one of those from late 2018.

You mention "recapture", I would expect that any form of advanced scripting will not be supported in NetSurf, but it is always worth a try I suppose.

Each version of NetSurf is compiled to run in conjunction with a specific version of libcrypto and libssl, so adding version 1.1 will not do anything with a NetSurf which wants 1.0.2 or 1.0.0 for example.

The ScPup version works against 1.1 and does not crash, but in Stretch it compiles against 1.1 and does crash, so I modified the build environment to link against 1.0.2 which is also available and then it runs perfectly.

Page 2 of 4 [49 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: