Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 13 Nov 2019, 04:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Slacko 5.7.2 Community Edition
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 7 of 9 [131 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 09 Apr 2019, 14:31    Post subject:  

@ Mike:-

mikeslr wrote:
Unfortunately, without a substantial work-around whose details escape me, you can't run two versions of Seamonkey as each expects it's profiles to be stored at /root/.mozilla --whether that is its actual location or a symlink to its actual location. Addons are stored in that folder. If you update beyond Seamonkey 2.46, it will remove the incompatible addons. Reverting to the earlier version of Seamonkey won't get them back. I think they may be recoverable if before uninstalling the new Seamonkey you first delete /root/.mozilla/seamonkey. But, of course, you'll loose any bookmarks which are also stored in your profile.

Sounds like a case for another 'portable', perhaps? Laughing

And maybe, just maybe, a case for 'backing-up' browser profiles before tinkering with 'em, hmm?

(BTW, I believe Iron 58 would run under Slacko 570, as would Slimjet 14.0.16.0...) Just a bit of 'info' for ya there.

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 09 Apr 2019, 16:59    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,

Correct on all counts, especially regarding a portable Seamonkey. Hint. Hint. Smile . I recall running Iron 58 under Slacko 5.7. Have no experience with Slimjet 14. But for those interested, here are the links.

Iron, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=943923#943923, but read the instructions.

Slimjet, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=952303#952303, again read the instructions.

IIRC, the reference to bbe required that the bbe script be downloaded and the executable dropped onto it to enable Chrome & Clones to be run as root.

Iron 58 was published in Feb 2017, Slimjet in April 2017. Although I like Iron I haven't bothered to set it up in part because of its age and frankly I prefer your palemoon portable.
s243a

PostPosted: Tue 09 Apr 2019, 17:08    Post subject:  

mikeslr wrote:
Hi Mike,

Correct on all counts, especially regarding a portable Seamonkey. Hint. Hint. Smile . I recall running Iron 58 under Slacko 5.7. Have no experience with Slimjet 14. But for those interested, here are the links.

Iron, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=943923#943923, but read the instructions.

Slimjet, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=952303#952303, again read the instructions.

IIRC, the reference to bbe required that the bbe script be downloaded and the executable dropped onto it to enable Chrome & Clones to be run as root.

Iron 58 was published in Feb 2017, Slimjet in April 2017. Although I like Iron I haven't bothered to set it up in part because of its age and frankly I prefer your palemoon portable.

You can run chrome clones as root by using the option "--no-sandbox"
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 09 Apr 2019, 17:31    Post subject:  

mikeslr wrote:
Hi Mike,

Now then, Mike. How would this do you? I've just put together a 'portable' version of SeaMonkey 2.46...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1024826#1024826

I'm really not a 'fan' of SM; never have been. But there's still plenty of talk about it on the Forum. From what I understand, 2.46 is a kind of 'watershed' version between older, proven ways of doing things (that work!), and newer ways of doing stuff that appears to break compatibility with a lot of other things..?

Wouldn't know. But as you know, my motto has always been 'choice in all things', when it comes to Puppians & software!

Hence this new one.....

Mike. Wink

kuman11

PostPosted: Wed 10 Apr 2019, 07:44    Post subject:  

mike,
I couldn't find a useful link for SM 2.46, so do u think I can use the other Mike's newly made 'portable'?
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 10 Apr 2019, 10:00    Post subject:  

@ kuman11:-

No reason at all why you can't use the 'portable' I've put together. It gets around the problem of the profile in /root, because the profile is contained inside the portable's own directory.

What is it you want to do with this? There was some mention of wanting to run multiple profiles? I've got some ideas as to how you can do that, and with the 'portable' it should be somewhat easier...

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 10 Apr 2019, 10:04    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:

No reason at all why you can't use the 'portable' I've put together. It gets around the problem of the profile in /root, because the profile is contained inside the portable's own directory.

What is it you want to do with this? There was some mention of wanting to run multiple profiles? I've got some ideas as to how you can do that, and with the 'portable' it should be somewhat easier...

Mike. Wink

Concur. I've attached a pet here which will create a menu entry avoiding any conflict: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1024889#1024889

In fact, you can now run a zillion different versions. Shocked by Just changeing the names of the following folders and files: /mnt/home/seamonkey246, /root/my-applications/bin/seamonkey246 and /usr/share/applications/Seamonkey_portable.desktop and editing the latter two files' path and executable arguments. Laughing

'tother Mike
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 10 Apr 2019, 12:17    Post subject:  

@ mikeslr/kuman11:-

Thought so...

Mike Walsh wrote:

...and I've just gone ahead and proved it.

I've set-up a second profile within my install of Fred's portable-Quantum. The original 'portable'-Quantum directory looked like this:-

Now, the directory looks like this:-

Note the additional 'launch' script, ff2, and the extra profile directory, profile2.

'FF' reads like this:-

Quote:
#!/bin/sh

#LAUNCHDIR="$(cd "$(dirname "$0")"; pwd)"
LAUNCHDIR="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"
mkdir "$LAUNCHDIR/profile" 2> /dev/null
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LAUNCHDIR/:$LAUNCHDIR/extralibs${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH} "$LAUNCHDIR/firefox" "$@" -profile "$LAUNCHDIR/profile"

....and 'FF2' reads as follows:-

Quote:
#!/bin/sh

#LAUNCHDIR="$(cd "$(dirname "$0")"; pwd)"
LAUNCHDIR="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"
mkdir "$LAUNCHDIR/profile2" 2> /dev/null
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LAUNCHDIR/:$LAUNCHDIR/extralibs${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH} "$LAUNCHDIR/firefox" "$@" -profile "$LAUNCHDIR/profile2"

Note where the modifications (in red) have been made. Just ensure that your numbers match; that's the easiest way to remember what you're doing.

For years, I've been using the final 32-bit Linux version of Chrome, Chrome 48. The older versions of Chrome allowed you to create your own 'webapps'; individual 'windows' that would open separately on your desktop, 'locked' to one specific website.....the process facilitated by Chrome's ability to run 'silently' in the background, without ever opening up if you didn't want it to. For some time, I've had a webapp set up just for NetFlix, in case I wanted to watch it without having the whole browser open.....along with a dedicated MenuEntry to start just this one item, pointing to a start script in /root/my-applications/bin.

I detailed the entire process here, around 18 months ago.

-----------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, from about Chrome 59/60 onwards, Google decided to drop the code in Chrome that made this possible. With the introduction of Quantum, this Chrome 'fanboi' has re-evaluated his priorities.....especially given that DRM playback by use of WideVine is now just as good in Firefox as it ever was in the Chromium 'clones', and that Quantum generally is a fairly good match to Chrome once again.

Ever since I realised this, I've been trying to find a way to get FF to do the same trick. Apparently, there used to be a Mozilla project called Prism that would let you do approximately the same thing, but it bit the dust around two years ago, and is now unmaintained.

Hence the experimentation today with 'multiple' profiles in the 'portable' version of Quantum. And it works, beautifully.

Essentially, I've simply set-up the second profile to do just one thing. My 'home' page is set to NetFlix, and for this one item I've allowed the FF password manager to remember my password. (Normally, I use LastPass in my 'main' profile, along with regularly changing the 'master' password that controls it all). The NetFlix start script in /root/my-applications/bin has been edited to point to the second start script in the Quantum-portable directory, which in its turn uses the second profile, profile2.

So; if I want to 'veg-out', I just go to Menu->Internet->NetFlix.....and NetFlix fires up straight away by itself, ready to go.

---------------------------------------

Using this approach, you could set-up as many profiles as you wanted (with ANY of the 'portables')....and all contained within a single directory, making use of a single browser install. Do bear in mind, however, that you cannot have two or more of these profiles running simultaneously; the second one will simply switch the already-running instance to whatever worktop you've chosen for the second 'webapp', and run from there. Goes without saying, really.

For two or more instances running at the same time, t'other Mike's approach is probably better.

I hope that's perhaps given some of you a wee bit of inspiration!

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 10 Apr 2019, 14:29    Post subject:  

Hah. Much more efficient for using as many profiles as you want.

Just keep in mind that with Seamonkeys its the male which incubates the eggs. Shocked Talk about carrying gender equality in the workplace too far. Rolling Eyes
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 10 Apr 2019, 15:53    Post subject:  

Mike:-

The one thing I like about doing it the way I've detailed above is the labelling.

We all know that under normal circumstances, if left to its own devices, any Mozilla browser (or Thunderbird, come to that) will label each profile with a unique, random string of letters and numbers. Using Fred's method, you can keep the profile labels simple.....and match the numbers, or whatever you choose, really, to the accompanying launch-script.

Again; greater simplicity.....and ultimately, ease-of-use. Works for me, anyhow. This 'portable' method Fred's introduced the community to seems to have endless side-benefits....... Laughing

T'other Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 11 Apr 2019, 16:37    Post subject:  

@ Mike:-

As a 'follow-up' to the previous post, I've just carried out a similar 'procedure' on ye ancient Dell lappie.

On the Dell, I've found that even though the P4s do have SSE2s, the 27.9.4-SSE_only version of Palemoon runs the smoothest, and lightest, by a country mile. I'm using the 'portable' version I put together, based on watchdog's 'glibc-tweaked' build of this release.

I won't attempt to use NetFlix on here, 'cos it's just asking too much of a non-HT 32-bit P4. But (and I'm astonished by this) it's the first Puppy browser I've ever found for the old Dell that will allow me to watch Youtube vids, for the very first time, in the browser itself, without lag, without stutter, and with good audio playback.....thanks to that Logitech USB headset I treated myself to before Xmas. (Okay; I've got YT set-up here to always play in just 240p now.....but it's 'do-able' at long last, and perfectly watchable, too!)

I am very, very impressed.

---------------------------------

So; reprise of the above. Duplicated the start-up script, to give me 'plmn2', which creates & utilises 'profile2'. Home page set to YouTube, GUI minimised to just the navigation bar, and as much stuff stripped away and bunged into the customise window as I can get away with, maximising real estate as much as possible. Previous Chrome 48 YT 'webapp' .desktop entry now modified to point to 'plmn2' instead.

When I want a quick 'fix' of YT, I just hit the YT entry in the launcher area, and.....I'm away.

Neat! Very Happy

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 13 Apr 2019, 20:12; edited 1 time in total
kuman11

PostPosted: Fri 12 Apr 2019, 04:59    Post subject:  

Mike,
do I need to install gtk 3.3. to be able to execute the 'portable'?

it seems the exec here is 'smky', it worked for me, solved my Yahoo issue, even though I still had the reg Smky browser on, haven't even created a profile here.
=============

'What is it you want to do with this? There was some mention of wanting to run multiple profiles? I've got some ideas as to how you can do that, and with the 'portable' it should be somewhat easier...'

I moved the 'portable' to mnt/home, will do he same with 'cache', though I don't see symbolic among the options upon right clicking, not sure why ...
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 13 Apr 2019, 20:20    Post subject:  

kuman11 wrote:
Mike,
do I need to install gtk 3.3. to be able to execute the 'portable'?

it seems the exec here is 'smky', it worked for me, solved my Yahoo issue, even though I still had the reg Smky browser on, haven't even created a profile here.
=============

'What is it you want to do with this? There was some mention of wanting to run multiple profiles? I've got some ideas as to how you can do that, and with the 'portable' it should be somewhat easier...'

I moved the 'portable' to mnt/home, will do he same with 'cache', though I don't see symbolic among the options upon right clicking, not sure why ...

Nah, that's the wrong approach, mate. If you want to set up a sym-link to another directory, click on (& hold), drag across, drop.....and select 'Link (absolute)' in the small box that appears . You should get the wee arrow appear on the item, showing it's a link.

If you want to set a sym-link in the same directory - useful for when you want to add symlinks for, say, libraries (/lib or /usr/lib, usually), then rt-clk, and select 'Link'. There'll be a check-box pre-ticked for 'Relative link' (which is what you use in the same directory, as a rule); simply re-name your item to the new name you want for the sym-link, then hit 'OK'. You'll see the new sym-link appear.

Hope that helps.

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 13 Apr 2019, 22:16    Post subject:  

Hi kuman11,

"do I need to install gtk 3.3. to be able to execute the 'portable'?"

'tother Mike is right in general. But under this Puppy you shouldn't have to do anything. Among the 'upgrades' I built in was libgtk-3.0_3.4.2 which the 'tother Mike originally created as a pet for precise.
kuman11

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr 2019, 21:21    Post subject:  

Thanks mike & Mike!
Page 7 of 9 [131 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: