Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 14 Dec 2019, 05:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Slacko 5.7.2 Community Edition
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 10 [136 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 8, 9, 10 Next
6502coder

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb 2019, 02:26    Post subject:  

Just confirming that I had no audio problems during my tests.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb 2019, 17:42    Post subject:  

Hi 6502coder, thanks for confirming.

Hi nic, the short answer is yes, Slacko 5.7.2CE is both 'adrv-aware and ydrv-aware'. Their names must follow the same pattern as the included zdrv: ?drv_ceslacko_5.7.2.sfs. But your question prompted me to finally get around to composing a long explanation regarding the tools and capabilities it provides. I'll post in one of the 'reserved' spaces, with a link here, as soon as its finished.

Other than how nic uses adrvs --and the adrv I created Smile that you'll find on the link to the ISO in the first post-- I generally do not recommend adrvs. For those of you who don't know, nic operates without a SaveFile, not installing anything. What he does, instead is "use sfs-addons for additional applications" and an adrv (about 2 Mbs in size) to preserve small changes. The result is an operating system better defended against being infected with malware.

Having cleared Random Access Memory on shutdown/reboot, a frugal Puppy creates its operating system anew each time you boot into it, reading into Random Access Memory the files needed from the following files on Storage: initrd, vmlinuz, puppy_version.sfs, zdrv_puppy_version.sfs and if they are present fdrv_puppy_version.sfsf, adrv_puppy_version.sfs, ydrv_puppy_version.sfs, perhaps some other Xdrv_puppy_version.sfs AND a SaveFile or SaveFolder. A SaveFile/Folder has priority with respect to what files make up this operating system: its files will overwrite any conflicting files. Except for a SaveFile or SaveFolder, all of the foregoing are READ-ONLY compressed files. That makes them invulnerable to malware you may unwittingly pickup while surfing; and very difficult if not impossible for a hacker to modify . A SaveFile/Folder, on the other hand, is READ-WRITE and consequently a potential target for malware and hacker manipulation. Without it, each time you boot into Puppy, you boot into a pristine operating system. By eliminating the need for a SaveFile, nic007 has devised a system without that potential vulnerability.
mister_electronico

PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb 2019, 04:37    Post subject: Thank you very much for your puppy linux 5.7.2.  

Hi mikeslr, Thank you very much for your puppy linux 5.7.2.
It is the first puppy that I get it to work well in a portable Hp in which with other puppies always ended up missing something.

I always liked the slacko puppy version.

I have had problems with the Grup and with the file and with the menu.lst file but in the next post I will tell you how I have solved it.

At this moment I am in a great hurry.

Thank you very much for everything and see you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger 
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb 2019, 06:03    Post subject:  

Morning, all. Thought I'd better re-visit this, and explain what I've done.

Previously, I was basically being a lazy bugger.....wanting to drop an 'old' save-file in place. I'm thinking this may have been related to the current 'flap' at Woof-CE, where they've modded the code so that old save-files/folders cannot be used.....and Mike's new Pup has definitely been built with the current 'Woof' process, as evidenced by the new boot-up sequence.

By doing a fresh install of 5.7.2 to a flash drive on ye anciente Dell, and allowing it to create its own, new save-file, everything is 'tickety-boo'! Even audio.

Haven't had time to check it out properly yet (only did this last night), but initial impressions are good. The Dell is the one I really wanted to try this out on, since it's P4-based.....and they're dinosaurs by today's standards.

Nice one, Mike. Cheers!

T'other Mike. Wink

mister_electronico

PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb 2019, 10:44    Post subject: Hi mikeslr  

Hi mikeslr and Mike Walsh

The problem with Grub4dos in this laptop was that it created a file menu.lst with these lines. :

title Puppy slacko 5.6.0 (sda1/slacko5.6.0frugal)
find --set-root uuid () 92b53baa-d985-41e3-b7fe-eb7a58396abf
kernel /slacko5.6.0frugal/vmlinuz pdrv=92b53baa-d985-41e3-b7fe-eb7a58396abf pmedia=atahd psubdir=/slacko5.6.0frugal pfix=fsck
initrd /slacko5.6.0frugal/initrd.gz

title Puppy ceslacko 5.7.2 (sda2/ceslacko5.7.2frugal)
find --set-root uuid () b5d0aaa0-4f51-4fb3c-a720-aec7138f2bf
kernel /ceslacko5.7.2frugal/vmlinuz pdrv=b5d0aaa0-4f51-4fb3c-a720-aec7138f2bf pmedia=atahd psubdir=/ceslacko5.7.2frugal pfix=fsck
initrd /ceslacko5.7.2frugal/initrd.gz

At the time of starting I did not recognize the hd on this laptop because it did not recognize the:
uuid () b5d0aaa0-4f51-4fb3c-a720-aec7138f2bf

What I did to solve the problem is to replace these lines:

find --set-root uuid () b5d0aaa0-4f51-4fb3c-a720-aec7138f2bf
kernel /ceslacko5.7.2frugal/vmlinuz pdrv=b5d0aaa0-4f51-4fb3c-a720-aec7138f2bf pmedia=atahd psubdir=/ceslacko5.7.2frugal pfix=fsck
initrd /ceslacko5.7.2frugal/initrd.gz

For these other lines:

find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /puppy_ceslacko_5.7.2.sfs
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=cd pfix=fsck
initrd /initrd.gz

And it worked perfectly and I recognized the multiple installed puppies of slacko5.7.2 and other puppies.

Mike Walsh I will also look at this puppy 5.7.2 things and what I see that can be adjusted will also put here.

Thank you very much for this distribution ... greetings
mister_electronico

PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb 2019, 11:56    Post subject: other quit  

another quick setting

The icon browser on the desktop does not perform any option. The problem is solved by editing /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser and changing:

#! /bin/sh
exec mozstart "$ @"

substitute :

#!/bin/sh
exec seamonkey "$@"

or

exec firefox "$@"

See you
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb 2019, 12:27    Post subject:  

Thanks Mike Walsh and mister_electronico for the feed-back.

As I said in the OP my part was as a packager. My scripting skills are all but non-existent. With a great deal of effort I can sometimes follow the logic of code --how one section relates to another and what each is supposed to do-- but beyond that it's a foreign language.

In packaging Slacko 5.7.2CE I included shinobar's latest version of grub4dos, grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.4, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=384995#384995. I am unfamiliar with the boot argument "pdrv=b5d0aaa0-4f51-4fb3c-a720-aec7138f2bf". I don't know why grub4dos would generate it if it wasn't necessary; nor fail when using it if it was. If grub4dos isn't working as it should, I suggest that you bring that to shinobar's attention on that thread.

I am happy that you found a solution. The only thing I can add to this discussion is that your kernel line instructs grub4dos that this Puppy is on a harddrive: pmedia=atahd, Pupmode 12. I always 'trick' grub4dos into thinking my Puppies are on a USB-Key, pmedia=ataflash, Pupmode 13, so that it does not execute an Automatic Save. You'll notice on Menu>System>Puppy Event Manager, Save Session Tab that the Save Interval is set to 0/Zero, Ask at Shutdown. Under Pupmode 12, pmedia=atahd , I think that instruction is ignored and that there will be a Save Automatically at shutdown without asking. If you desire otherwise you should adjust either the bootcode or the Save Interval Instructions.

"The icon browser on the desktop does not perform any option": Ah, the difficulty of dotting all 'i's' and crossing all 't's'. Missed that one. Embarassed

p.s. Slacko 5.7.2CE will run fredx181's portable-firefox and Mike Walsh's portable Palemoon OOTB. Seamonkey 2.35 was included because it used less RAM. If your computer isn't RAM challenged, I recommend either of those. Alternatively, if you like Seamonkey, you can download any version thru 2.49 as a tar.gz, unpack it and either start it by clicking the binary or creating a link to it. IIRC, the netvideohunter addon will function on Seamonkey up thru 2.46. The trick is to find the webpage from which you can download version 1.9.5fx.xpi, and IIRC open it from Seamonkey's File-Menu.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb 2019, 18:00    Post subject:  

I'm posting from 5.7.2 CE now. I've added a couple of extra software programs to it, such as Firefox 52 ESR and Softmaker FreeOffice (neither of which was strictly necessary), but even so it all fits comfortably on a 2GB save file.

Thanks Mike for a fine effort.

Packard Bell iMedia 6020 (AMD Athlon 3800+, 4 GB of RAM, 250 GB hard drive) running Sparky 2019.08 (current), Absolute 64, Mint Debian 3.0, CrunchBang++ 10.1, Siduction 18.3.0, VLocity 7.2, Puppy Precise 5.7.1 Large and Pardus 19.0 XFCE.
Terry H

PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb 2019, 22:46    Post subject:  

Hi Mike, with all the work you have put into packaging and explaining this slacko Community Edition, it would be remiss if I didn't give it a run, I had only ever previously given slacko 5.7's a cursory glance, maybe it was the issues I have had with the synaptics touchpad on this installation, that caused me to abandon using these slackos previously.

A new manual frugal install on Kingston Data Traveller 8GB USB3 Flash drive, running on Dell Latitude 3350 Core-i5 5200U 8 GB RAM. It didn't boot to X, so had to run xorgwizard, to be able to get to the desktop, subsequent boots have been OK. On initial boot identified intel 7265 wifi card firmware not included. Copied the firmware from a working puppy, ran a modprobe to load the firmware, so wifi now working. I haven't used a savefile in a while so the process seemed to take several attempts to get a savefile created, but it worked in the end.

The next and unresolved issue is with the synaptics touchpad. I was unable to run flsynclient, receiving the following message:

Code:

# flsynclient
Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?

I checked ppm and saw that the synaptic driver is installed, also checking with pfind, as shown in attached screenshot. So I'm stumped at the moment on how to get the touchpad working to stop the cursor bouncing all over place, or opening everything the cursor moves over on the screen as I attempt move across the screen.

All I have tried so far has run smoothly. I added inxi to be able to report the system details. If I can get the touchpad tamed, I'll probably add a firefox or palemoon and keep it in the kennel.

So thanks Mike for this derivative, it's a good job putting this together.

Note: this post was created on a different puppy due to the touchpad issue.

Code:

# inxi -Fxxz
System:    Host: puppypc27534 Kernel: 4.14.63-rt37 i686 (32 bit gcc: 7.3.0) Desktop: JWM git-905 dm: N/A
           Distro: Slacko Puppy 5.7.1
Machine:   Device: laptop System: Dell product: Latitude 3350 Chassis: type: 9
           Mobo: Dell model: 0TMD22 v: X02 UEFI [Legacy]: Dell v: A09 date: 11/24/2016
Battery    BAT0: charge: 59.0 Wh 130.2% condition: 45.3/59.0 Wh (77%) volts: 8.5/7.4
           model: Samsung SDI DELL 6C0FN58 serial: 37544 status: Full
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-5200U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8780
           clock speeds: min/max: 500/2700 MHz 1: 1104 MHz 2: 1150 MHz 3: 1231 MHz 4: 1623 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Device 1616 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:1616
           Display Server: X.org 1.12.4 driver: modesetting tty size: 168x46 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio:     Card-1 Intel Device 9ca0 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:9ca0
           Card-2 Intel Device 160c driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0 chip-ID: 8086:160c
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.14.63-rt37
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Device 095a driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 04:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:095a
           IF: wlan0 state: up speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 264.1GB (2.0% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Crucial_CT256MX1 size: 256.1GB serial: N/A
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: DataTraveler_3.0 size: 8.0GB serial: N/A
RAID:      System: supported: linear raid0 raid1 raid10 raid6 raid5 raid4
           No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
           Unused Devices: none
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 155 Uptime: 35 min Memory: 118.2/7721.8MB Init: SysVinit v: N/A runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: N/A
           Client: Shell (bash 4.2.532 running in lxterminal) inxi: 2.3.8
synaptics.png
 Description   pfind output
 Filesize   70.58 KB
 Viewed   598 Time(s)

synaptics.png

mister_electronico

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2019, 07:48    Post subject: Hi mikeslr  

Hi mikeslr sorry for the small delay in the answer but in recent times I am quite busy.

Quote:
The only thing I can add to this discussion is that your kernel line instructs grub4dos that this Puppy is on a harddrive: pmedia=atahd, Pupmode 12. I always 'trick' grub4dos into thinking my Puppies are on a USB-Key, pmedia=ataflash, Pupmode 13, so that it does not execute an Automatic Save. You'll notice on Menu>System>Puppy Event Manager, Save Session Tab that the Save Interval is set to 0/Zero, Ask at Shutdown. Under Pupmode 12, pmedia=atahd , I think that instruction is ignored and that there will be a Save Automatically at shutdown without asking. If you desire otherwise you should adjust either the bootcode or the Save Interval Instructions.

You are right but at this moment I do not care because I do not like that at any moment any process stops or slows down because the pupsave is being saved, I prefer it to be when the system closes.

I am working with a stupid uefi laptop and many of the problems
they come in this direction.

The boot is in pen drive, the pen drive makes the boot looks for options
that all the puppies inside the pen drive and in the HD.

This I have done with multiple versions of puppies and it always works but I do not know why no works with this distribution.

The problem is not in the creation of the Grub I created it with other puppies and creates the same menu.lst file with the same data.

The value of the uuid is correct.

b5d0aaa0-4f51-4fb3c-a720-aec7138f2bf

If I use the blkid command, I can see that it is correct.

The problem is when load the grub does not recognize this uuid of the hard drive and so it do not find the pupsave file. I don't know for why?

How you say, I'll bring that to shinobar's attention on that thread.
mister_electronico

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2019, 08:00    Post subject: Hi mikeslr  

Hi mikeslr

Quote:

"The icon browser on the desktop does not perform any option": Ah, the difficulty of dotting all 'i's' and crossing all 't's'. Missed that one. Embarassed

Mikeslr please you don't feel Embarassed I think you and other persons made a very good big job.

For me if in this horrible laptop, sound, video, internet, the tab mouse, and other things works for me is perfect.

I think it's finally going to be able to change from puppy5.6 to puppy 5.7.2, there are a lot of electronic programs that I have to go through, in this way I assure you that they can work well.

So in this way you have found a person who will be permanently watching to improve your distribution.

If you do not mind, I'll be putting these little mistakes I'm finding and almost always I can put the solution at the same time.

This way when you come back to do a revision of puppy5.7.2 you can upload a better distribution on the internet.

But only if you do not care?

Thanks for all .... see you.
mister_electronico

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2019, 13:40    Post subject: devx_slacko_5.7.2.sfs  

Hi I just downloaded from the address:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/kwhxksubf00ny/14.0#myfiles

devx_slacko_5.7.1.sfs

I have renamed it to:

devx_slacko_5.7.2.sfs

I have loaded it and it seems to work well.

Sorry for stealing the sfs file to Sailor Enceladus

See you
mister_electronico

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2019, 14:38    Post subject: seamonkey 2.49.4  

I made this pet of Seamonkey.2.49.4

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yqat434l48ygnni/seamonkey_2.49.4.pet/file

I have not found a way to eliminate seamonkey in:

Menu > Setup > remove builtin packages

So I've gone to the /opt directory and deleted the seamonkey directory.

Install the pet file without menu entry, but there is no problem because it was previously done and the desktop icon works as well.

But suddenly I realized that my pupsave was transformed from 489 to 385 Mb ... Sad

So I go to the /opt directory and move the whole seamonkey directory to /mnt/home. I open a terminal in /opt and I type:

#ln -s /mnt/home/seamonkey seamonkey

Creating a symbolic link to /mnt/home/seamonkey,

I do this very often when I have to run very large electronics programs.

And then I can see again the pupsave with 489 Mb free.

I do not notice almost speed difference between running on ram or sata hard drive on this occasion.

In this way before I saw the videos on the internet only 360 and now I can see them up to 1080 or more.

See you
Terry H

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2019, 18:18    Post subject: Re: Hi mikeslr  

mister_electronico wrote:

I am working with a stupid uefi laptop and many of the problems
they come in this direction.
The value of the uuid is correct.

b5d0aaa0-4f51-4fb3c-a720-aec7138f2bf

Mr. electronico, I just added a slacko 5.72 CE frugal install to a UEFI enabled USB Flash drive, which boots successfully.

The USB drive contains an EFI partition and a partiton with several folders containing frugal installs. The boot stanza from the grub.cfg is shown below:
Code:

menuentry "Slacko 5.7.2 CE"  {

search --set -f /slacko572CE/vmlinuz

linux /slacko572CE/vmlinuz root=UUID=a4f01c9a-d3a0-4964-bfa5-45ec02253982 psubdir=slacko572CE pmedia=ataflash

initrd /slacko572CE/initrd.gz

}   

This thread sets out how some members are booting puppy using UEFI booting
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112224
mister_electronico

PostPosted: Fri 01 Mar 2019, 16:40    Post subject: Hi Terry  

Hi Terry ... amazing .

I had no news about this link, I have already solved the problem. thank you.

See you.
Page 2 of 10 [136 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 8, 9, 10 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: