Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 13 Nov 2019, 14:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Slacko 5.7.2 Community Edition
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 8 of 9 [132 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
kuman11

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 19:28    Post subject:  

mike,

how can I find if there’re any extra instances of Seamonkey that might cause this error ‘ profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible’?
nic007

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 20:45    Post subject:  

kuman11 wrote:
mike,

how can I find if there’re any extra instances of Seamonkey that might cause this error ‘ profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible’?

When you first run Seamonkey the .cache and .mozilla folders are created in /root and the profiles.ini file in /root /.mozilla/seamonkey. The profiles.ini file contains the path and names of the default Seamonkey folders in .cache and .mozilla (which has the same name). When I want to use a new version of Seamonkey, I just export my bookmarks to a file first, delete .cache and .mozilla and then run the new version of Seamonkey (and import my bookmarks file).
kuman11

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr 2019, 01:40    Post subject:  

mike & Mike,

u haven't seen my post. even though I moved the SM246 .cache folders in mnt/home & symlinced them back, they still occupy a lot my Puppy personal storage. Why's that?
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr 2019, 13:00    Post subject:  

kuman11 wrote:
mike & Mike,

u haven't seen my post. even though I moved the SM246 .cache folders in mnt/home & symlinced them back, they still occupy a lot my Puppy personal storage. Why's that?

Are you sure about that? Did you move /root/.cache/mozilla/seamonkey to /mn/home/somewhere? or remember to delete /root/.cache/mozilla/seamonkey before attempting create a symbolic link there to a cache folder already existing on /mnt/home?

You know that if you follow the symlink from /root/.cache to /mnt/home/somewhere and then size or examine its files, the files you are sizing or examining are on /mnt/home, not in /root.

But even if you've done everything right it is my understanding that once you've executed a Save having files in /root/.cache subsequently deleting those files and Saving does NOT recover all the space they had occupied in the SaveFile. When the cache files were originally downloaded, inodes in RAM were created pointing to them. Saving wrote those inodes to the SaveFile. Deleting the files did not delete the inodes, merely wrote 'white-outs' to them. So a subsequent Save preserved both the inodes and the white-outs which occupy some space in your SaveFile. Only a subsequent Remaster will eliminate both the old inode and the white-out from the file created by the Remaster.

Well, that's my understanding. I could be wrong. Beyond which, I really don't know how effective deleting files actually is. I only recall reading that not all the space used by a file in a SaveFile is recovered when that file is deleted. One of the reasons to move /.cache out of /root as the first order of business after installing a web-browser.
kuman11

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr 2019, 13:44    Post subject:  

mike,
I don’t use a save file, I do all in RAM. I’m talking about the personal storage in RAM.

“Did you move /root/.cache/mozilla/seamonkey to /mn/home/somewhere? or remember to delete /root/.cache/mozilla/seamonkey before attempting create a symbolic link there to a cache folder already existing on /mnt/home”

I didn’t know that, don’t recall reading it s/w. If I do it now it’s gonna work or need to reboot & start from scratch?
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr 2019, 16:05    Post subject:  

@ kuman11:-

Quite simple. You're moving something from 'A' to 'B', then sym-linking it back to 'A' again.

a) Open two Rox windows; one on 'A'.....and another on 'B'. Leave both open.

b) Copy the item from 'A' to 'B' first, via drag'n'drop. 'Copying' first, as opposed to 'moving', allows you to initially check that everything has been moved that you want moved.....and that you're happy with the result.

c) Then, delete the original copy in 'A'.

d) Now, drag the item you've just copied from 'B' back across to 'A', and drop it in an empty space. In the wee window that appears, click the last item - 'Link (absolute)'.

e) .....et Voilà! Done.

(Rox is a far better file-manager than many give it credit for. I've come across various other FMs which will overwrite a file without even bothering to ask you first..!)

-------------------------------------

You can do this 2 ways; the GUI drag'n'drop way, or the command-line way, using the 'ln -s' function. (If sym-linking within the same directory, there's a 3rd, rt-clk menu option, too...)

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 23 Apr 2019, 10:09    Post subject:  

kuman11 wrote:
mike,
I don’t use a save file, I do all in RAM

If you are doing every thing in RAM, you are doing everything in RAM and cache will accumulate in RAM.

Seamonkey, firefox and palemoon by default locate their cache in /root. In Puppies the /root folder is created anew on bootup, by copying into RAM files from "storage" files such as a SaveFile or SaveFolder. If you do not use a SaveFile/Folder, a symbolic link from /root to /mnt/home or anywhere else will not be preserved. The result is that on each bootup the cache folder in /root is again created and will be used during that session with cache occupying RAM.

You will have to limit the space you permit Seamonkey (and others) for caching and/or remember to frequently clear cache.

The another work-around I can think of might be to auto-mount some drive/partition on bootup; move cache to that partition --symlinked back to /root-- and Remaster to preserve that system. But, I think that may not work as /root in RAM may be created on bootup before the drive/partition is mounted. And, in any event it would not have any advantage over working with a small SaveFile/Folder. You would no longer would be running entirely in RAM. Some drive/partition would always be mounted.

Perhaps this may work, but it also will always have some partition mounted:

Create a small SaveFile on a partition you DO NOT always intend to have mounted and install Startmount. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=377699#377699. Configure Startmount to automount the partition which you are willing to always have mounted. Reboot. Move your cache to that partition and symlink it back. Execute a Save to preserve that arrangement. Boot 'pfix=ram' so as not to load the SaveFile. Right-Click the ceslackosave-xxx.sfs and rename it (whichever you are not using) adrv_ceslacko_5.7.2.sfs, or ydrv_ceslacko_5.7.2.sfs; I think fdrv_ceslacko_5.7.2.sfs can also be used.

Seems like a lot of work accomplishing nothing than can more simply be done using a SaveFile.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 27 Apr 2019, 11:08    Post subject: RTFed Word Processor
Subject description: Light-weight & Superior to Focus Writer

Hi all,

JRB put this nice little Word Processor in his Precise Light Puppy. Smithy packaged it as a pet, available here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1026429#1026429. It appears to work flawlessly under this Pup, doesn't have FocusWriter's annoyance of hogging the screen, and has more options. Of course, you can ignore them and just type. Thanks JRB and Smithy.
kuman11

PostPosted: Sat 04 May 2019, 09:28    Post subject:  

perdido wrote:

'PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2019, 17:38 Post subject:
Mavrothal had made a .PET for the old PPM to keep downloads and save where one likes.

Maybe some relevant history, maybe not.

PPM: How to download packages into any directory'

There's a final version of this .pet one can d/l & install?
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 04 May 2019, 10:17    Post subject:  

Is this what you're looking for? http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=826288#826288

I'm not sure if it hasn't become the PPM standard. Open Puppy Package Manager. Click the Configuration tool at the top left- looks like crossed wrenches. Click Options. At the bottom of the GUI that opens is the text "Save Pkgs in" at the left and a "file" icon on the right. Between them is an information window showing the path to and download location selected. The default is /root. Click the "file" icon and browse to the location you choose.

Two notes: If you are running without a SaveFile/Folder, none of your drives are mounted. You have to mount one to download anything into it. Also, without a SaveFile/Folder none of the changes you make to settings and configuration files will be preserved.

You might want to try implementing "Replace your savefile/folder with an sfs" http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=944470#944470 explained by nic007.
kuman11

PostPosted: Mon 06 May 2019, 16:27    Post subject:  

mike,
What the default app for installing .pet
packages in this Slacko? After restarting X it's not asigned by default now ...
kuman11

PostPosted: Mon 06 May 2019, 17:28    Post subject:  

It's even more strange acting, pFind couldn't find an app I just d/l-ded - AppRun ...
This Puppy is acting like a mutant zombie ...!
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 09 May 2019, 20:45    Post subject:  

Hi kuman11,

Expect a knock on your door as I've reported you to the ASPCA for being very cruel to your Puppies. Smile

The "default installation" application is Puppy Package Manager. All I've ever actually done to install a pet is Left-Click it. But the GUI which then asks if I want to install the application is Puppy Package Manager. Examining PPM in /usr/applications/ indicates that the Exec is /usr/local/petget/pkg_chooser.sh. This is a 778 line script providing many options and is among 30 so scripts in /usr/local/petget. I suppose someone could by-pass it if he/she knows what both it and he/she is doing. I don't claim to know either.

What app were you trying to install? Did it create a /usr/share/applications desktop file? If so, into which category was it assigned for appearance on your Menu? The only other immediate suggestion I can make is that Slacko 5.7.2 CE's desktop is controlled by jWMDesk. Part of that implementation is that Menu>Setup>Menu Manager - edit the menu controls menu entries. It is sometime necessary after an application is installed to open Menu Manager and click OK so that it will update the Menu. Perhaps opening a terminal and typing "fixmenus" would work as well.

" pFind couldn't find an app I just d/l-ded - AppRun ...
This Puppy is acting like a mutant zombie ..."

To where was it downloaded? If you moved /Downloads from its default location /root/Download to /mnt/home/SOMEWHERE/Downloads, for pfind to find it, you have to select under "Where to search" ALL Files which warns you that (unspoken) 'results will be' slow. Idea Knowing that, I bookmark the Download folder so I can open it in Rox -- 2 clicks.. Much faster. Wink
kuman11

PostPosted: Fri 10 May 2019, 00:34    Post subject:  

'Expect a knock on your door as I've reported you to the ASPCA for being very cruel to your Puppies.' lol

mike,
no harm's intended! Smile

I usually left click an app & it asks me whether I want to install it too. It's why I wrote 'zombified'. It's for the 2nd monitor App which worked fine b4.
Anyhow, I had to restart the OS after a few days so this is solved now.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 10 May 2019, 11:13    Post subject: Portable Web-Browsers: firefox, seamonkey, palemoon  

jrb has published a portable linux installer which, after installation, will enable you to download firefox, seamonkey or palemoon to the location of your choice -- that is, these will not have to be installed into "puppy-space". http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1027621#1027621

If your computer doesn't support sse2 or above, jrb has also separately published Palemoon-27.9.4SSE portable installer, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=116108

Note, I believe all of these will required jrb's updated yad, avaiable here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-common32/yad-0.40.3-i686_common32.pet
Page 8 of 9 [132 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: