MTP Device v0.16

Using applications, configuring, problems
Blackfish

MTP Device v0.16

#1 Post by Blackfish »

Once Bionic Pup was installed a few weeks ago the MTP Device automatically kicked in and read my Android Note 3 dumbphone and I could access anything. Suddenly, about a week ago, it stopped reading the phone altogether. When I open the program and it tells me to plug in the phone, I plug it in and notice it has made a connection with the laptop I click "OK", then a red window opens and says, "No Device Present". I can't find the problem and can no longer configure the phone.
Dell Latitude E5500 w/ Intel Centrino processor-- running bionicpup64-8.0

scsijon

#2 Post by scsijon »

And you/it hasn't updated your phone software and locked it out? Something like unauthorised access in the android system.

Blackfish

#3 Post by Blackfish »

scsijon wrote:And you/it hasn't updated your phone software and locked it out? Something like unauthorised access in the android system.
I've scoured settings and security, etc. and found nothing like that. I know I haven't changed anything on purpose, but haven't changed anything by accident either, looks like.

greengeek

#4 Post by greengeek »

Ae you running "pristine" or have you created a savefile? If so is it possible to ditch the savefile temporarily and start again? See what happens then?

sheldonisaac

#5 Post by sheldonisaac »

greengeek (in part) wrote:.. ditch the savefile temporarily and start again? See what happens then? Are you running "pristine" or have you created a savefile?
I'm an old newbie; several times I have done that. My conclusion was that something I'd done had messed up the Puppy.
And usually I couldn't figure out what. So I started afresh.
Last edited by sheldonisaac on Sun 27 Jan 2019, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

Blackfish

#6 Post by Blackfish »

greengeek wrote:Ae you running "pristine" or have you created a savefile? If so is it possible to ditch the savefile temporarily and start again? See what happens then?
Not running Pristine.

It was my understanding that when Bionic Puppy is installed on the hard drive, which mine is, it does not use savefile. If there is a savefile. I can't find it anywhere. I don't think there is.

I'm getting around this easily enough by taking my SD card out of the phone and putting it in the SD slot on the computer. I can copy and paste my files and photos on the hard drive that way. I don't like doing this however, as sometimes the computer will corrupt the SD cards and make them useless. I know, they're cheap these days, but why spend money when you don't have to? Besides, I have never seen the SD card get corrupted when connected to the computer via the dumbphone. No sense in risking the SD card when you don't have to. And this old Dell E5500 also has a PC card slot in it. I'm wondering if I could find a PC card with an SD card slot in it and if doing so would protect the SD card. Have to try and find a PC card and give it a shot. It's fun tricking out these old machines.

In narrowing down this problem further, I have rebooted the computer via DVD. I notice the phone does not connect, and, if I remember correctly it did when booting from DVD, before I installed Bionic to the hard drive. Something must have gone wrong with the phone itself or a setting must have been changed.

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Provided it's not your cable, and physical connections are easily damaged, I'd say remove the "built-in" pkg, reload X, then reinstall mtp_phone_connect.

As I don't see a pkg for BP64, you'd need either compatibility libs loaded for a 32b build or grab the pkg from Xenial64. I doubt there's much difference.

Personally I prefer and have had consistent performance using CamPhoneTab in place of the shipped phone connect.

If wifi enabled, there are other methods of transfer beyond physical connections.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Blackfish

#8 Post by Blackfish »

Semme wrote:Provided it's not your cable, and physical connections are easily damaged, I'd say remove the "built-in" pkg, reload X, then reinstall mtp_phone_connect.

As I don't see a pkg for BP64, you'd need either compatibility libs loaded for a 32b build or grab the pkg from Xenial64. I doubt there's much difference.

Personally I prefer and have had consistent performance using CamPhoneTab in place of the shipped phone connect.

If wifi enabled, there are other methods of transfer beyond physical connections.
It's not the cables. I have tried several and all are connecting and charging the phone with a clear charging signal.

I will install CamPhoneTab and give it a shot. Thanks.

I like using Bluetooth for transferring files between computers, but this E5500 didn't come with a Bluetooth card! The nerve of those bastards! I ordered one off eBay this morning.

I've never transferred with wifi. Will look into it. Thanks again for the tips.

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Wifi? Maybe one of these options work for ya.

Dead easy and light on permissions >> WiFi File Transfer.
Attachments
wft-mod2-ss.jpg
(77.24 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Blackfish

#10 Post by Blackfish »

Semme wrote:Wifi? Maybe one of these options work for ya.

Dead easy and light on permissions >> WiFi File Transfer.
Very cool. But wifi not an option for me, as it turns out. Networking is required. I do a lot of work in the field, where there is no Internet connection. I thought it was like Bluetooth, where you simply connect the two machines via Bluetooth and make the transfer.

Another cool way to transfer files is to get the cable which connects a USB flash drive to the phone. Move files from the phone onto the flash drive, then unplug the flash drive and plug it into the computer or other device and copy the files--and vice versa.

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

Blackfish wrote:I will install CamPhoneTab and give it a shot.
Any update on this?

Blackfish

#12 Post by Blackfish »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Blackfish wrote:I will install CamPhoneTab and give it a shot.
Any update on this?
I could not find CamPhoneTab in Puppy Package Manager. I don't know where to find it.

However, in other fine revelations, the MTP Device v0.16 started working again. I have no idea why it did not work in the first place, nor why it started working again. I plugged the phone into the computer to charge it up and wouldn't ya know it, the MTP kicked in and--et voila!--the phone connected again! Go figure. The only thing I can think of is that the cable I plugged in with is brand new. My other cables are old, and while they still charge the phone, they would not connect. With this new cable--BOOM!--it fired up immediately! It had to be the cable, I guess these cheap-ass cables get old fast and performance declines drastically? I just don't know. I will keep using this new cable and see how it all goes from here.

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

Hey Big Guy, with the BP 7.9.8 devx and compatibility libs loaded, CamPhoneTab v1.6 had zero issues mounting my S4 Android KitKat.

PeasyWiFi went off without a hitch as well.

Helluva job, Willy boy!

Blackfish

Janky Bluetooth

#14 Post by Blackfish »

Well, I got my Bluetooth card and it's mounted and working. The Janky Bluetooth program that comes with Bionic Puppy does not work however. There are a lot of other Bluetooth programs in the repository... Which would you recommend?

Semme

#15 Post by Semme »

For audio, file transfer or both?

bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

Bionicpup64 7.9.8 is suppose to have a new program for Bluetooth that is suppose to work.

Here is where it is talked about for Bionicpup64 7.9.7
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 74#1013874
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Blackfish

#17 Post by Blackfish »

Semme wrote:For audio, file transfer or both?
Both.

Semme

#18 Post by Semme »

Hey, as you have file transfer and say Janky is broken, I'll ask if you installed any additional BT software?

Does Janky open?

If not, have you followed 666philbs`advice to reinstall it?

If successful, how is it you're looking to relay audio?

In other words, which two devices are involved?

Blackfish

#19 Post by Blackfish »

I jad some success with Janky Bluetooth after trying again. I got everything connected. But when I tried to send files from the phone to the computer, the computer automatically disconnected every time. I'm getting closer.

Semme

#20 Post by Semme »

Is your cable OEM or aftermarket? The latter are hokey @ best. What about my preference, CamPhoneTab?