Old ZFS volume confuses Puppy 7.5 Installer / 8.0 GParted

Please post any bugs you have found
3guesses

Old ZFS volume confuses Puppy 7.5 Installer / 8.0 GParted

#1 Post by 3guesses »

A bit of a strange one this. I have a laptop with 2 identical hard drives (one in the optical drive bay), and I think I experimented with setting up ZFS on them at some point in the past. Now, however, I have used cfdisk from Puppy 5.7.0 (my favourite version of cfdisk) to partition one of the hard drives (sdb): 3 primary partitions (installed, inter alia, with Windows XP) and a number of logical partitions (mostly various Linux distro installs). I have not had any problems with this set-up with Puppy versions 5.7.0 and 6.0.5 x64, but 7.5 x64 (xenialpup64) and 8.0 x64 (bionicpup64) each have differing but similar problems.

With Puppy 7.5 x64, the partitions on sdb show up fine in GParted (v0.25.0) but when I try to run the Universal Installer to install to the hard drive, it does not list the partitions on the hard drive (sdb) that exist there - all it shows is:

Code: Select all

Here is what Puppy has found out about the chosen drive:
sdb:  zfs_member, size 350GB, installed
And my only option is: "Install Puppy to sdb"

With Puppy 8.0 x64 the problem is reversed: the installer lists all the partitions on the hard drive (so I've been able to install it no problem), but GParted (v0.30.0) again only lists a zfs file system on sdb:

Code: Select all

Partition    File System   Size     etc
/dev/sdb           zfs     350GB
I haven't come across this problem with the (limited) other distros that I've tried on this particular laptop.

3guesses

Any ideas?

#2 Post by 3guesses »

Does anybody have any ideas on this? I would really like to be able to install Puppy 7.5 on this machine but for some reason the version of the Puppy Universal Installer in 7.5 doesn't identify the partition schema on the drive. Can I download a later version of the installer after booting into the live CD?

TiredPup

#3 Post by TiredPup »

Interesting article about zfs popped up on itsfoss at https://itsfoss.com/linus-torvalds-zfs/.

EDIT:

Zfs was designed by Sun Microsystems and was eventually open sourced by Sun under the Sun CDDL license and cannot be included in the linux kernel. Here is an article on filesystems which includes a discussion of ZFS file systems on the lower half of the page.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/33552/h ... ou-choose/