issue using deb2pet [Solved]

Booting, installing, newbie
d_vineet

issue using deb2pet [Solved]

#1 Post by d_vineet »

I tried to install a package named 'anydesk_2.9.5-1_amd64.deb' from https://anydesk.com/download?os=linux by dbl-clk.
It went through w/o any error, flashed a message that there is no menu entry. (Under Lubuntu, when I had installed it, there was menu entry and tray entry added. So the .deb pkg is intact and correct).

Then I downloaded and installed deb2pet 0.0.3 by @dejan555 vide http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1756496099

In ROX, upon rgt-clk, it works. I converted this .deb pkg to .pet pkg
(one observation:- .deb was 3MB but .pet was just 283 bytes. That means it is not converted correctly).
Still installed this .pet by dbl-clk. OK.
There is a menu entry under 'utility', but it does not work upon clicking.

I wish to learn what went wrong so that next time I can take care of such stuff myself.
Can I pl. get advise?
Thanks.
------working on Xenialpup64bit in dual boot with Lubuntu-----

EDIT:-
I can see a file anydesk.exe in /usr/bin.
Dbl-clk does nothing.
Then I opened terminal in that folder and executed the file.
It throws msg

Code: Select all

anydesk: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Maybe this is a dependency issue? But the .deb worked ok under Lubuntu.
Last edited by d_vineet on Mon 21 Jan 2019, 08:47, edited 2 times in total.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Not making a menu entry or a tray icon is normal for a lot of deb packages.
They were compiled for Debian Linux OS.

Any issues with deb2pet you need to post on it's topic.

Puppy does not have every possible dependency file/program pre-installed. so, you sometimes need to go find it and install it.
Then I opened terminal in that folder and executed the file.
It throws msg
Code:

anydesk: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
That is one way to find out what is missing.

menu>Setup>Check Dependencies Installed Pkgs
Can tell you if something is missing.

A search in Puppy Package Manager for the missing item, can sometimes offer it for download and install.
If not a internet search usually can help.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

perdido

#3 Post by perdido »

I went to that anydesk website and looked at the linux info page

https://anydesk.com/platforms/linux#updates

One thing sticks out like a sore thumb.

Systemd improvements

Fixed several bugs related to systemd.
puppy does not do systemd.
j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶p̶u̶p̶p̶y̶.̶ ̶
T̶r̶y̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶L̶u̶b̶u̶n̶t̶u̶ ̶

Edit: crossed out my assumption about this program requiring systemd

Last edited by perdido on Sat 19 Jan 2019, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.

d_vineet

#4 Post by d_vineet »

Got it.
Just checked in menu>Setup>Check Dependencies Installed Pkgs.
It listed libgtkglext-x11-1.0 as missing pkg.
Installed it from PPM.
And voila... Anydesk is running.

===
btw, can you pl. suggest a tried, tested app for converting deb to pet?
===

Thanks.

ITSMERSH

#5 Post by ITSMERSH »

Why do you want to convert .deb to .pet, since you can install both types of packages by just clicking the package (or double click, if used)?

d_vineet

#6 Post by d_vineet »

ITSMERSH wrote:Why do you want to convert .deb to .pet, since you can install both types of packages by just clicking the package (or double click, if used)?
Is there no additional advantage of using .pet instead of .deb? (because .pet being native to puppy).

ITSMERSH

#7 Post by ITSMERSH »

I think the .pet packages are built for Puppy by Members and Developers for specific purposes. I personally do not convert .deb to .pet, just install as is - when installation is needed. The .pet packages are mainly .tar.gz archives, so if you rename it from .pet to .tar.gz you can extract it with archiving programs like xarchive e.g.

I personally prefer the use of .sfs (squash file system) modules instead and made a program to combine different types of packages into a single .sfs module.

PaDS 1.1.4 - updated version of 1.0.4

Though, as far as I know, .sfs modules are for frugal installs only.

d_vineet

#8 Post by d_vineet »

@ITSMERSH thanks for your inputs.
I think I should stick to .deb

mikeslr

#9 Post by mikeslr »

HI d_vineet,

The procedure I use is slightly different than ITSMERSH's. I download the deb and use UExtract to unpack it. That way I can examine its contents before installing it. Examining it enables me to determine if it has, or needs, a menu entry: /usr/share/applications/xxx.desktop and, and if so whether it includes a usable icon or will need one. Examination also provides some idea of whether its files will conflict with anything on my system. But more importantly, I can also usually determine if my system lacks some necessary files for it to function. Opening the desktop file in a text editor tells me the name of the executable: Exec=. With that or even without that by guessing I can Menu>filesystem>pfind the executable and its location. File-browsing to, right-clicking it, and selecting ldd (list dynamic dependencies) tells me if my current system lacks essential files. [ldd doesn't work if the application is built on a python framework].

If so, I may be able to download (no install) them using Puppy Package Manager, or obtain them from pkgs.org (or from a debian or Ubuntu repository).

After obtaining any dependencies, I place the application deb and all dependency debs in a named folder, e.g. MyApp_PUPPYVERSION-Application-Version#. Right-click the folder and use ITSMERSH'S PaDS right-click option, Combine-to SFS. Or start PaDS from the Menu to create either an SFS, a pet, or both.

If I create a pet, in addition to installing it, I save a copy to "vault" on my hard-drive so that if I ever want to rebuilt my Puppy, it's immediately available. It can also be immediately used in other computers running the same Puppy. Or serve as a basis for modification in different Puppies.

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

d_vineet wrote:@ITSMERSH thanks for your inputs.
I think I should stick to .deb
A .pet is a software package specifically compiled for Puppy.
If you download software as a .pet it is compiled and setup for Puppy and how Puppy works.

Changing a deb to a pet is trying to turn something not compiled for Puppy into a program package specifically for Puppy. However, the program may still not work if it needs something that is not in Puppy.

Deb packages can be used with Puppy, but to work 100% the software in them needs to be coded for general mainstream Linux requirements. Not needing some special dependency files/programs.

Anytime you can get software as a .pet package, is the best for Puppy.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)