How to install Xenial pup from Windows?

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
moijdikssekool

How to install Xenial pup from Windows?

#1 Post by moijdikssekool »

hi
there is version of puppy which installs its files through an .exe, in the widows disk, it allows multi-boot and file save. But now i want to use xenial, because it doesn't work any more on a UEFI computer
Is it possible to take the files of xenial to replace that of my old puppy, without any installation?
Or is there an "official way" to install xenial from windows?

it could be a good think to get this feature!

rockedge

#2 Post by rockedge »

you want to swap the files of old-puppy with new-puppy (Xenial) on a hard disk that contains a Windows operating system?? this new-puppy will be on a machine with UEFI ??

thinkpadfreak

#3 Post by thinkpadfreak »

moijdikssekool wrote:
> Is it possible to take the files of xenial to replace that of my old puppy, without any installation?
> Or is there an "official way" to install xenial from windows?

I suggest you use the puppy linux windows installer (lick), though I am not sure whether it will meet your request.

puppy linux windows installer
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61404

It is a windows application (.exe), and it installs puppy almost automatically. (frugal installation)

moijdikssekool

#4 Post by moijdikssekool »

you want to swap the files of old-puppy with new-puppy (Xenial) on a hard disk that contains a Windows operating system?? this new-puppy will be on a machine with UEFI ??
yes

So i tried lick, but the previous linux is still present as boot

Now i have two folders on the c:
Slacko-Puppy-64-6.3 and xenialpup64-7.5-uefi. If i switch the folder names in menu.lst, it doesn't work. Yes i know, the stuffs are being less and less naive, that's life...

I think i have to delete the previous linux but i don't know how to do

mikeslr

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hello moijdikssekool, and Happy New Year.

As Slacko64 was, I think, a frugal install, it's pretty easy to get ride of it from your new Xenialpup. Just boot into Xenialpup, locate the couple files which Slacko64 uses, right-click them and select delete from the popup-menu. They may all be in a folder named "slacko-something". If so, you can delete the folder and its contents by right-clicking the folder and selecting delete from the popup-menu. Selecting "quiet" when that option is offered will avoid being asked about each file.

Then you'll want to remove the menu option to boot into Slacko. I think LIck uses grub rather than grub4dos. Either can be opened in a text editor (e.g. geany) and modified. I'm not sure why you weren't able to switch which one was offered for booting first. You can't just change names. But you should be able to cut the entire stanza pertaining to Slacko64 and paste it after the stanza for Xenialpup.

However, to be on the safe-side, if you boot into Xenialpup you can take a screenshot of the files and folders on the partition on which Slacko resides and post it.

You can also open menu.lst or the config file in a text editor and include it in a post. Or take a screenshot. We'll then be in a better position to tell you how to unscramble eggs. :)

mikeslr

#6 Post by mikeslr »

double post