Downline - 47 MB downloader for YouTube, etc.

Browsers, email, chat, etc.

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hi labbe5.

The portable version is ~ 47 Mb. You've got to be kidding!!!

How does it compare with youtube-dl? I'd like to know before downloading. Youtube-
dl is certainly not as big. It does rely on some python libs, which are normally already
in your Pup. And it does a pretty good job.

Second, there is the savethevideo.com video download site that nic007 has
discovered. It's even better that youtube-dl from the point of view that it does not
occupy any space on your disk.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, musher0.

Thanks very much for that website link Nic found. Easiest way to download YouTube vids I've yet found..! And of course, you can access that one anywhere.....

I've got a mate who describes himself as a total 'tech dinosaur'; he can't even surf the 'net unless I'm there to turn the box on for him, although he knows his way around a browser by now. He's learning.....

He's a keen fisherman, and the other day asked me to find some videos about tying certain angling knots. Loads on YouTube, so..... With this, I can load 'em all onto a FAT32-formatted flash-drive, which he can plug into his TV, and watch them at his leisure.

Sorted. Thanks again! (And thanks to nic007, too...)

*BTW:- That portable is the size it is because it's Electron-based.....which means it's running an instance of the Chromium browser when it starts up. Hence the size... *

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 12 Jun 2019, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

dancytron

#4 Post by dancytron »

Another way is the Firefox browser addon "Video Download Helper."

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... oadhelper/

It also has a Chrome version, but for some Google rules related reason it doesn't work on youtube.

foxpup

youtube-dl

#5 Post by foxpup »

or youtube-dl (1.7M), command line app
tip:
make a youtube-dl.conf

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

Well, despite being a fan of AppImages & Electron, this is one I shall be crossing off my list of 'possibles'.

Just tried both of 'em in Xenialpup64 7.5. The AppImage fires up, but doesn't actually DO anything. The Electron version just gives a white box on the screen where the window should be, but.....no cigar. So; I sha'n't be bothering with this one, that's for sure.

SaveTheVideo.com, on t'other hand, works beautifully.....and, as stated above, it takes up no space on my hard drive anywhere.

I don't make a regular habit of downloading YouTube vids, just the occasional one here and there, so.....savethevideo.com will work nicely for me.

Mike. :wink:

nic007

#7 Post by nic007 »

9xbuddy.com is another site I use mostly these days. Youtube has split the the video and sound tracks of most of the alternative resolution files that are also available on their servers. This means that normally only the 360P resolution of a video is available as one download (video and sound tracks combined) but other resolutions of the same file are split so that in the latter case you need to download the video and sound track seperately. However the mentioned site puts the tracks together of all the different resolution files (of the same video) found on the google server, very handy. So for example - Video X is available on the youtube server at resolutiions of 360P, 480P, 720P. The 360P resolution can normally be downloaded as one file (video and sound combined) but the other resolutions not because the video and sound tracks are split (in which case you will have to download the seperate video and sound tracks and combine them later). 9xbuddy.com combines the tracks automatically no matter what the resolution. Another smart thing of this site is that it has download links for language subtitle tracks if a particular video provides those.

backi

#8 Post by backi »

Hi nic007 !

Tested 9xbuddy.com .......cool !!!
Thanks for the Hint .