First-Run's Outgrown its Home - Solved

Using applications, configuring, problems
mikeslr

First-Run's Outgrown its Home - Solved

#1 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Sometime during one of a series of remasters the Quicksetup first-run setting appears to have eaten one of Alice's magic mushrooms. See attached.

This went unnoticed thru several subsequent remasters, involving many hours of changes, and I'm not sure I kept the OS version before the change. Starting from scratch is not an option. I have other ways of accessing those parts of first-run which no longer appear. But it is annoying that first-run no longer functions properly.

In an effort to bring first-run back to size, I've (a) built a pet using all components from a pristine ISO and installed it; and (b) replaced the entire /etc/X11 folder and its contents. Neither solution helped.

I have a suspicion that first-run is reading font sizes wrong. That is (for example and not meant to be exact) where the application says to use a font size 8 it is using a font size 12. If that suspicion is right, I don't know how to correct it.

Any ideas?
Attachments
Gigantic First-Run Dialog.png
Oversized First-Run Dialog
(138.63 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
Last edited by mikeslr on Tue 15 Jan 2019, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hello mikeslr

Perhaps refresh it by typing, in console:

Code: Select all

cd /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/sbin
cp -f quicksetup /usr/sbin
The one I have on this slacko-06.9.9.9 weighs 84K.
The weight should be pretty much the same across Pups.

IHTH.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

mikeslr

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, musher0, for responding. Been out all day. [But they caught me and brought me back in. :lol: Oh, yah. It's the real World which is crazy. :cry: ]

Joking aside, while driving I had an idea as to what was wrong. On returning, its seems to have born-out. Whether I'll be able to implement it without "starting from scratch" will take a little while.

I'll post about it probably tomorrow. In the meantime, if you all were racking your brains for a solution, give them a rest.

mikeslr

"Internal Info" displayed and repeated

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Hi musher0 & All,

Neither your suggestion nor anything I've tried cured the problem. What I did realize, after comparing the malfunctioning shown in the above screenshot with the display providing by a properly functioning quicksetup is that what appears to be information which is supposed to be processed internally --not displayed-- is displayed, over and over again.

You can easily see the difference by opening Menu>Setup>QuickSetup on probably any recent Puppy. All the text shown on the right side of the screenshot is missing.

Replacing Quicksetup, either as you suggested by copying it quicksetup from /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/sbin or from another Puppy does not resolve that problem as the display remains the same gargantuan one extending beyond the desktop.

I wonder if something I installed changed 'bash' or 'yad' or whatever translates the code in quicksetup into a screen display.

Menu>Setup>Screen/Graphics wizard, itself, displays properly. And there are other functioning applications to access the modules which are presented by quicksetup's Screen/Graphics components. The easiest work-around might be to remove --with ###-- that part of the code in quicksetup which generates that part of the display. But, figuring out which lines --and how to do only that safely-- is beyond my knowledge of the code quicksetup uses.

williams2

#5 Post by williams2 »

What do you get if you type

report-video driver
If report-video isn't working you could try copying the original file.

gettext may be the problem.

You could edit /usr/sbin/quicksetup and put in some debug code after line 944. Something like

echo $XMSGX > /tmp/xmsgx.debug
then run quicksetup and check what is in /tmp/xmsgx.debug

If gettext is getting another language it may be corrupting one of those variables, maybe its choking on an accented letter. You could try running

LANG=C quicksetup

mikeslr

The Culpret was Right-Click-6.9.9.pet

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Hi William2,

Your first two suggestions didn't reveal anything unusual. But your mention of gettext made me wonder about what pet did I install that might have caused changed how it functioned. Reviewing PPM>Uninstall revealed that I had installed Right-Click-6.9.9.pet. It's removal returned Quicksetup to normal.

Thanks for the help.

williams2

#7 Post by williams2 »

gettext can cause problems in scripts. It shouldn't be a problem with en_US

Maybe your bash options were changed from the defaults. That can cause scripts to break.

echo $BASHOPTS
Anyway, glad I could help.

musher0

#8 Post by musher0 »

Hello mikeslr and all.

Speaking of quicksetup, what is the name of the flag file it creates so it does not pop up again at every boot? If not through a flag file, then how?

I read the quicksetup script and could not find any hint about that.

Thank you in advance.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

ITSMERSH

#9 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi musher0.

It is: /etc/personal_settings_popup_disabled

For the Welcome1stBoot edit /usr/sbin/delayedrun (search: welcome1stboot)

musher0

#10 Post by musher0 »

Many thanks, RSH. You are of great help.
There are also a few "flags" in var/local.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~