Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 22 Oct 2019, 20:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
DevuanDog 'Beowulf'
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 9 [122 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 7, 8, 9 Next
zagreb999

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jan 2019, 18:15    Post subject:  

fred, great respect

i have very bad wifi
i can not help more

effect is the same

can not boot, can not open live folder
i use mx linux

can not make screenshot
dancytron

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2019, 02:35    Post subject:  

I've installed this. Deleted firefox, pointed it to my portable firefox, and did a quick remaster. New iso file 270 MB.

All seems to work so far. You might want to modify the quick remaster program to take into account that the kernel is in a .squashfs file and you don't want to merge it into the main file.

Once again great job.
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2019, 12:37    Post subject:  

Thanks Dan !

Quote:
You might want to modify the quick remaster program to take into account that the kernel is in a .squashfs file and you don't want to merge it into the main file.

Not sure what you mean by something that could be modified in quick-remaster.
If the checkbox "Merge currently loaded modules..." is not checked it will not merge with the main filesystem.squashfs.
And in case it's checked, it does merge and, from what I tested, the new remaster boots without problems.

EDIT: Maybe I see now what you mean, perhaps it would be good to exclude the kernel .squashfs from merging with the main .squashfs Question Idea

Fred

dancytron

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2019, 16:19    Post subject:  

[quote="fredx181"]Thanks Dan !

Quote:
/snipped

EDIT: Maybe I see now what you mean, perhaps it would be good to exclude the kernel .squashfs from merging with the main .squashfs Question Idea

Fred

Yes, exactly. I think it would break things, wouldn't it?
backi

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan 2019, 09:58    Post subject:  

Hi Fred !

Another brandnew Catch for Fred's Distro Zoo.
You`re obviously suffering kind of "restless Mind/Leg" Syndrome.. restless on the Hunt for another Beast to tame .
But.......
your Insanity is a Blessing for all those Linux Junkies out there just waiting for another Kick.And so i do .

What i did ...
So I caged up this wild Beo-Dog-Wolf in a 1 Gig Usb Stick Cage "Porteus moded " ....No Problems with the Beast so far .... in Case there are any .... will give Feedback ..Looks quite promising .

Let`s wait and see.

Thanks again for all your hard Work .
fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan 2019, 12:39    Post subject:  

dancytron wrote:

Quote:
/snipped

Fred

Yes, exactly. I think it would break things, wouldn't it?

It's experimental to have separate kernel .squashfs, I thought it might be easier to upgrade or use another kernel this way.
I can't see why it would break things because it's not registered by apt/dpkg (same as when created module with apt2sfs, small chance it will break things because dpkg simply doesn't know about the contents of the .squashfs module).
Only disadvantage I can see (in case of remaster and merging with 01-filesytem.squashfs) is that you need to manually remove the older kernel in /lib/modules if you upgrade/install new kernel.

@backi, thanks, yes, do find some nice "wild" bugs ! Wink
This is just preview of the new 'Dog' I'd like to focus on in the future.
Predictable would be "BusterDog" (buster becomes new Debian stable this year).
But I sympathise more with the 'systemd free' Devuan

There's plenty of time to experiment and/or discuss until the new Devuan stable arrives, so any requests, opinions or other feedback is very welcome.
For example, maybe better include the newest Palemoon instead of Firefox, to keep things as light as possible.
(and just noticed that the latest Palemoon has self-updating function now, I like that).

Fred

zagreb999

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan 2019, 13:31    Post subject:  

regards!

fred did good job!

it is essential -fundamental to have separate kernel!

(also puppy has!)
keniv

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jan 2019, 10:39    Post subject:  

Hello All,
As my favourite dog is bionic dog I thought I would try devuan as it was from the same kenel so to speak. As the machine I am using is an oldish HP CPU P4 2.4GHz with 1.8GB of ram I thought I might have trouble with the 4.19.0-1 kernel based on what was said in the early posts. However, it seems to be fine. I have not had much time to test but it seems very good for an alpha release. I only have one thing to report. I was transfering audio files from one flash drive to another. I had the contents of both drives open in two sepatate boxes on the one desktop. The process froze. I could not close either box though I was able to shutdown as normal without any complaints from the machine. I have repeated what I was doing and have not had further problems so this may have been a one of but I thought it might be worth a mention.

Regards,

Ken.
fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jan 2019, 13:14    Post subject:  

Thanks for testing Ken !
I'll try to reproduce what you mentioned about copying from one flash drive to another, thanks for the report.

For info @all this is called "Alpha" not only because of experimental setup (e.g. separate kernel .squashfs module) but also because the Devuan "Beowulf" (testing) branch is a work in progress (but should become "stable" at some point in this year).

Fred

keniv

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan 2019, 16:58    Post subject:  

Can I just ask a question about the desktop clock. On going to Menu-Accessories-Conky clock you are given the choise to disable the clock.
Disabling the clock works but as "one time only". It reappears when you reboot. I would have thought this would stay dissabled until it was re-enabled. I did wonder if stuff was not being saved to changes.dat but I've checked this and it's OK. Is the one time only behaviour what I should expect?

Regards,

Ken.
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan 2019, 17:09    Post subject:  

keniv wrote:
Can I just ask a question about the desktop clock. On going to Menu-Accessories-Conky clock you are given the choise to disable the clock.
Disabling the clock works but as "one time only". It reappears when you reboot. I would have thought this would stay dissabled until it was re-enabled. I did wonder if stuff was not being saved to changes.dat but I've checked this and it's OK. Is the one time only behaviour what I should expect?

Regards,

Ken.

Ah, yes, it should stay disabled then after reboot, I'll look into that, thanks !

Fred

keniv

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jan 2019, 14:19    Post subject:  

@fredx181
I have not spent much time on DevuanDog recently but I had another go today. I thought I had set up the keyboard to UK but turns out I hadn't. I had used set locals and generate locals and after a while this exits showing EN_GBUTF-8. I then discovered I still had a US keyboard. I then went to system tools, set keyboard, layout. This seems to show my keyboard as "PC Gereric 105 tecles" which I think is in French!. If I choose "OK" to this I get a list of choices which are all in cerlylic script except for the last one which is shown as "Other". If I choose "Other" I get a list of other countries which again seem to be in French. This list doed not contain UK or GB or anything which looks as if it would allow me to choose a UK keyboard. I have gone through this process a number of times but have had no luck. As the keyboard I have is an HP keyboard I have selected one of these but get the same result at the end of the process. Each time the process completes it shows I have a US keyboard. I seem to remember going through the same proceedure with BionicDog but this worked OK. This is a bit more of a problem than the other issues. Is there a way to sort this out?

Regards,

Ken.
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jan 2019, 14:40    Post subject: Updated Devuandog 2019-01-26  

*** Updated Devuandog 2019-01-26 ***

Download links here:
https://github.com/DebianDog/DevuanDog/blob/master/README.md

Changes and fixes:
- Fixed conkyclock, when clock disabled (from Menu > Accessoires > Conkyclock), autostarting the clock at login will be disabled also now.
- The initrd1.xz (for porteus-boot style) is very much modified, perhaps better chance that it works for hardware that it didn't work on earlier).
- Other browser, Firefox-ESR replaced with Palemoon.
- Added support for applications that cannot run as root, package installed is "run-as-user":
Included Menu entries for: Chromium, Vlc and Google-chrome (last is for 64-bit only).
First time run it will install the application, once installed it will run as unprivileged user (e.g. puppy or guest)
Also included Menu > System > "Run program as (unprivileged) user" to be able to run any application as unprivileged user
It runs modified "run-as-spot" script from Fatdog by jamesbond.
(see screenshots below)

EDIT: Forgot to say (to mention the source) the construction support for applications that cannot run as root was taken from Slax by Tomas M.

Fred
rau.png
 Description   Run any application as normal user (not-root)
 Filesize   143.31 KB
 Viewed   544 Time(s)

rau.png

vlc-rau.png
 Description   Run Vlc as user
 Filesize   160.22 KB
 Viewed   541 Time(s)

vlc-rau.png

Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 26 Jan 2019, 15:49; edited 3 times in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jan 2019, 14:44    Post subject:  

Hi Ken, just updated Devuandog ISO's, as you can see above, I'll look later into the issue you described, thanks !

Fred

keniv

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jan 2019, 16:43    Post subject:  

Hi Fred,
I've just installed your update. I tried to configure the keyboard. This time all was in English and seemed to work and when exiting told me I was using a UK keyboard. I have tested this and all is well so that's perhaps a problem you can forget about. I have not done much except set up wifi and palemoon.

Regards,

Ken.
Page 2 of 9 [122 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 7, 8, 9 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: