Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 12 Dec 2019, 03:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Is there a way to turn off the keyboard? {solved}
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
mini-jaguar

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jan 2019, 05:23    Post subject:  

O.k., I got Lock Keyboard for Baby to work. It also locks the touchpad buttons, so be sure to put on the screen whatever you need to before locking it. The cursor still moves, but you can't click on anything.

Also, the gtk youtube viewer .pets seem to have the necessary dependencies.
foxpup

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jan 2019, 09:33    Post subject:  

mini-jaguar wrote:
O.k., I got Lock Keyboard for Baby to work. It also locks the touchpad buttons, so be sure to put on the screen whatever you need to before locking it. The cursor still moves, but you can't click on anything.

Also, the gtk youtube viewer .pets seem to have the necessary dependencies.
Don't you get a small grey pop up window - for me it was up left - that says to type the password to unlock?
It does not lock your keyboard.
It intercepts the keystrokes (probably mousclicks and touchpadtouches as well) until you type the password on the keyboard.
Marv

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jan 2019, 11:20    Post subject:  

Late to the party but... Here's what I used some time ago to disable the keyboard on my laptop when I had a new kitten. I stripped xinput from the pets for size reasons. The XFCE version gave two .desktops that I added to and stacked in the panel and worked perfectly. The LXDE version gave one .desktop for adding to the panel and toggled. IIRC it pretty much worked. They used xinput 1.61 IIRC and didn't use float, hence the post.
LXDE_catcatcher.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  LXDE_catcatcher.pet 
Filesize  15.18 KB 
Downloaded  28 Time(s) 
XFCE_KBcontrol.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  XFCE_KBcontrol.pet 
Filesize  35.92 KB 
Downloaded  34 Time(s) 

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupee for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.
mini-jaguar

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar 2019, 08:01    Post subject:  

I'll give those a try sometime, I don't normally use those window managers but they might be useful. I use Saluki/Carolina occasionally but rarely, they have XFCE.

I've found two other problems since then:
1. If something is on part of the touchpad, it's basically useless so I need to plug in a mouse (when using xinput float).
2. None of the solutions block the power button, yes that has happened but I think only once or twice...I don't think there is a solution to this.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar 2019, 08:36    Post subject:  

Late to the party, saw the post and didn't read back through page 1 until after I'd entered this ... but rather than just deleting it ... using xinput to disable the keyboard for 10 seconds
Code:
#/bin/sh
# xinput list ... and note AT Translated Set 2 Keyboard
# and also note the slave keyboard number near the end of line
# for mine its 6 and 3
xinput float 6  # disable keyboard
sleep 10
xinput reattach 6 3 # re-enable keyboard

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar 2019, 08:40    Post subject:  

Whilst on the xinput subject, again for my AT keyboard id of 6 running

xinput test-xi2 6

is indicative of how you can monitor all keystrokes. i.e. indicative of a hackers key logger. You can also record all mouse/touch etc. movements via similar methods.

Even if running xterm secure keyboard mode (ctrl-left mouse press and select secure keyboard), the keystrokes are still visible (can be monitored). But using xvkbd to enter keystrokes aren't visible.

Running a separate X session i.e. as per EasyOS, and both the windows and keyboard are separated/isolated (real/main root can still see, stuff things into the containers windows/keyboard, but not the other way around). But you must run the Xephyr based container for that.

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
mini-jaguar

PostPosted: Thu 21 Mar 2019, 14:44    Post subject:  

Marv wrote:
Late to the party but... Here's what I used some time ago to disable the keyboard on my laptop when I had a new kitten. I stripped xinput from the pets for size reasons. The XFCE version gave two .desktops that I added to and stacked in the panel and worked perfectly. The LXDE version gave one .desktop for adding to the panel and toggled. IIRC it pretty much worked. They used xinput 1.61 IIRC and didn't use float, hence the post.

Finally tried this, it's the best solution really, but it's limited to those desktops. I still use Saluki or Caroline sometimes for LMMS and couple of video editors. I'm having troubles with Amsynth, but that's for another thread.
Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: