Need a Palemoon, or better, browser sfs

Using applications, configuring, problems
xan

Need a Palemoon, or better, browser sfs

#1 Post by xan »

Hi, I need to continue using some old add-ons that don't work with the newer changed Firefox. I had installed a Palemoon version that worked fine which I found in SFS format in somebody's website (I think it was thanks to OscarTalks but I can't find Palemoon there now).

Unfortunately that version of Palemoon I have is now a bit old, and a crummy company that I pay a subscription to has recently changed their website and it no longer functions for me. I've complained to them but they just tell me to use Google Chrome :(

I've tried to upgrade to the latest Palemoon from the Palemoon website but it won't run (gives library errors I think).

Is there somewhere that I can still find the Puppy Palemoon SFS? Or is there a better browser choice that will still behave like the old Firefox and run its add-ons and work in an older Puppy Slacko version?

Thanks for any advice.

perdido

#2 Post by perdido »

Hi xan,

Which old slacko version are you using?

xan

#3 Post by xan »

perdido wrote:Which old slacko version are you using?
It's 5.3.3

I've been happy with it until now as every application I've wanted has been fast and worked until that website has been changed.

watchdog

#4 Post by watchdog »

Palemoon 28.2.2 works in my frugal install of slacko 5.3.3 without tweaks. Have you installed mesa libs? What errors in console? I have palemoon in /mnt/home for every my puppy: untar the palemoon tar.bz2 tarball where you want and just click the palemoon binary inside the dir palemoon or run it in a console. An easy glibctweaked package should also work in slacko 5.3.3:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 96#1002296

perdido

#5 Post by perdido »

I just ran the latest 32-bit palemoon on a fresh install of slacko5.3.3 with no errors.

It is version 28.2.2

Go to this page
http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/
and download the Download x86 tar.bz2 (direct download) link.

Or copy/paste this link if you wish to just download it
http://linux.palemoon.org/datastore/rel ... 86.tar.bz2

Its a 47MB download.

After downloading, extract it into its own directory.
Just click on "palemoon" to run

Its a tar.bz2 file extension, I didn't see a way to extract it in that old slacko 533 so I tested peazip, it works fine
If you need peazip you can get it in this post
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 66#1011466
Install peazip
then you have to extract the palemoon .tar.bz2 twice.
First time it strips the .bz2, second time it extracts the .tar

Palemoon 28.2.2 is a self contained archive and needs no libs.
You can stick it into a directory in /mnt/home/palemoon28/
That way it would not fill up your save file if you are running frugal.
Full install and it won't matter where you put it.

I am using an old noscript extension and HTTPS-Everywhere extension
with no issues in palemoon28.2.2

Let us know if we missed something :wink:

Burn_IT

#6 Post by Burn_IT »

Palemoon, like most modern browsers, has its own updater built in.
Once any version is installed, just use that to keep it up to date.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

Pale Moon only has builtin update from version 28.0.0 on.
Before that version, they had a separate update program.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

How do you relocate Palemoon's profile?

#8 Post by mikeslr »

" I need to continue using some old add-ons that don't work with the newer changed Firefox."

Unfortunately, that may also be the case with the new Palemoon. :(

If so, one work-around is to run two copies of Palemoon, or some combination of Palemoon and another web-browser. As was pointed out, the new version of Palemoon runs from its own folder, which you can place in /opt or /mnt/home or wherever you want. There's a catch, however. By default all palemoon versions, new or old, by default locate the folder .moonchild productions in /root, i.e. /root/.moonchild productions. It is within that folder that palemoon places the profile which includes addons and from that folder palemoon reads them. The first time you run the 'new' palemoon it will uninstall incompatible addons.

There may be a work-around. Rather than start the new palemoon by clicking (or calling) its executable, you can use a script which tells it to locate .moonchild productions within its own folder. fredx181 created such script for firefox quantum.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about scripting to imitate fredx181's effort. Perhaps someone else does?

Burn_IT

#9 Post by Burn_IT »

I think one of the tenets of Palemoon is that they always try to keep older add-ons working or have a replacement that does the same job.
I use it (in Windows) for this very reason.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

mikeslr

#10 Post by mikeslr »

Burn_IT wrote:I think one of the tenets of Palemoon is that they always try to keep older add-ons working or have a replacement that does the same job.
I use it (in Windows) for this very reason.
True, but that leaves some older add-ons which don't work and for which there is no replacement. There used to be a webpage identifying add-ons in all three categories. Perhaps it's archived someplace or a thorough search will find it. But it longer shows up in the first page of 'hits' with 'palemoon incompatible addons' as the search target.

I think the following three webpages provide an overview of the situation. https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=20291; https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19727, and noting that this one is from Feb 2018, https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=18330. To which I'd add the following complication or clarification:

Prior to the publication of firefox quantum, Palemoon could generally/always? use addons designed for firefox in addition to those designed for palemoon. Both could be accessed via Palemoon's addon tool. With the publication of firefox, firefox closed its gateway to incompatible addons. As a result, Palemoon's addon tool could no longer access those addons.

They may still be available but only from their actual publisher or a provider. That's the situation with netvideohunter. You can still find an old version here, https://netvideohunter.soft32.com/free- ... nager&dm=3, download it and running Palemoon, File>Open it.

Be back in a couple of minutes to see if it works.

Edit: I'm back. As far as I can tell it doesn't. It installs, presents a Gui but clicking the Download button does nothing.

As the above Palemoon webpages suggest, if it's not supported by the Palemoon organization, you're on your own or the kindness of an addon's publisher.

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Mike.
mikeslr wrote:There may be a work-around. Rather than start the new palemoon by clicking (or calling) its executable, you can use a script which tells it to locate .moonchild productions within its own folder. fredx181 created such script for firefox quantum.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about scripting to imitate fredx181's effort. Perhaps someone else does?
You mean a self-contained, 'Portable-Palemoon' kinda thing?

Now that Palemoon have switched to the 'standard' Mozilla update method (like Firefox & the other clones), I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

Could be a call for it, I guess..... :lol:

Mike. :wink:

8Geee

#12 Post by 8Geee »

xan:

What version was thiss old Firefox?... maybe a slightly newer one can help. I have Firefox27 with ADBlockEDGE, Better Privacy, RedirectCleaner, Searchonymous, YoutubeHTML5, Download YouTube as MP4, and FireFTP. If these are of some help for add-ons, then maybe the security of TLS1.2 foreward Secrecy, and limited JavaScript will interest you (The browser has been configured to reduce leaks, and not use things affected by the recent Meltdown/Spectre stuff).

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

Post deleted (wrong thread - sorry!)

mikeslr

Seamonkey 2.35 for old addons

#14 Post by mikeslr »

Edited after booting into a 32-bit Puppy.

FWIW, the 'old' Seamonkey, version 2.35 still uses old addons, and still can access most websites. But I don't do internet banking and don't and wouldn't use it for making on-line purchases.

Booted into Xenialpup32 and started seamonkey by clicking it executable in /mnt/home/seamonkey. Clicked "Help" on menu and noted its version as 2.35. Clicked Tools>Addons and typed netvideohunter in search box. Addon was found which I downloaded/installed. Restarted Seamonkey (just in case, not warned to). Opened browser to Youtube Videos. Clicked on the first one and it began to play. (flash had been installed on a prior bootup). Clicked the netvideohunter icon which was now on the taskbar. GUI opened offering to download. Downloaded. Clicked on downloaded mp4. It played.

Hence, 'old' addons are still available and functional and websites as finicky as Youtube still allow this 'old' browser access.

You can obtain old versions of Seamonkey by clicking the links at the bottom of this webpage: https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/. My sometimes flaky recollection was that I had tried several older versions, had found that 2.39 still used the old addons, but 2.40 didn't. But the version I left on my hard-drive was 2.35. (Perhaps mis-recollection? perhaps on my other computer?)

You can try out various versions, remembering that all will create /root/.mozilla/seamonkey to store its profile and if it already exists use it. So delete that folder between tests.

Clicking a number on the above webpage will open a webpage offering Seamonkey in different languages. Clicking Download under the Linux heading will download a file compressed as tar.bz2. Right-Click the tar.bz2 and select UExtract from the pupup menu. This will create an extracted folder within which is the seamonkey folder. Move this seamonkey folder to wherever you want (/opt, /mnt/home, wherever). Within the seamonkey folder is the seamonkey executable.

You'll also see an executable named "updater" and two other files with the designation "update". Delete these. Untested, but perhaps doing so will prevent seamonkey from being inadvertently updated to a version which can't use your required addon. Deleting these did not prevent the installation of the netvideohunter addon.

Ask if you need help in creating easy access to the seamonkey executable.

As with Palemoon, I'd like to have a wrapper which places profiles in the seamonkey folder rather than the default /root/.mozilla/seamonkey folder.

Mike Walsh

#15 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Mike:-

To answer your 'query' from a few posts back:-
mikeslr wrote:There may be a work-around. Rather than start the new palemoon by clicking (or calling) its executable, you can use a script which tells it to locate .moonchild productions within its own folder. fredx181 created such script for firefox quantum.

.....see here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115119

I'd been 'toying' with the idea for a while. See what you think....

Mike. :wink:

perdido

Re: Seamonkey 2.35 for old addons

#16 Post by perdido »

mikeslr wrote:
As with Palemoon, I'd like to have a wrapper which places profiles in the seamonkey folder rather than the default /root/.mozilla/seamonkey folder.
Hi mikeslr,
As with all things puppy, there are multiple ways to accomplish the same thing.

I like to put the ".moonchild productions" directory - which contains the pale moon profile - in /mnt/home/ and create a symlink to it in /root/
That way whichever palemoon I run always has access to my bookmarks and extensions, plus if an extension does not work with the
version of palemoon I am running palemoon then will let me know.