No sound in Firefox 64.0 64-bit on Tahr Pup 6.0.6 x64

Using applications, configuring, problems
CGP

No sound in Firefox 64.0 64-bit on Tahr Pup 6.0.6 x64

#1 Post by CGP »

I'm getting no sound from Youtube videos in Firefox 64.0 64-bit on Tahr Pup 6.0.6 x64.

I tried to solve the problem by installing apulse-0.1.12-x86_64.pet from http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/. Did not work. Then I created file user.js in ~/.mozilla/firefox/ with contents

Code: Select all

// for using apulse with latest firefox
user_pref("security.sandbox.content.write_path_whitelist", "/dev/snd/");
user_pref("security.sandbox.content.syscall_whitelist", "/dev/snd/");
user_pref("security.sandbox.content.read_path_whitelist", "/dev/snd/");
Did not work. I moved user.js to ~/.mozilla/firefox/....default (where ... is a string that probably varies from user to user). Did not work. Then in about:config I changed security.sandbox.content.level from 4 to 0. Still does not work.

I have not tried to install the library libgtk-3 as OscarTalks suggested in http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=974976 because I don't know how to install a library from the Puppy Package Manager. It would be nice for someone to explain where to find libraries in PPM and how to install them.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

explain where to find libraries in PPM and how to install them.
Best if you know the name of the lib file you need.

In Puppy Package Manager(PPM)
Put the name of the lib file (libgtk-3) you are looking for in the search at the top of the PPM window.
Do a search.
If it finds anything, it will be listed under package.
Click on a listed item.
It will be shown in the packages to install.
Click on do it.

Good idea to first update the database in PPM.
PPM>Configure>Update Database
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

CGP

#3 Post by CGP »

Thanks for the reply.

Here is the problem: to find a particular library, like libgtk-3, I know that put 'libgtk-3' in the search field and search for it. But it seems that I must choose each combination of repositories (I have 4 in my PPM) and Categories (I have 13 in my PPM, like Desktop, System, Setup) and make a search for that combination. That is 52 searches. Do I really have to do that many searches? It seems that I do. Am I wrong?

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Usually you put something in the search and it searches every repository every category.
It searches all of them at one time.
All the repositories, in the repository listing, on the left side of the PPM window.

Usually you will get multiple results listed for what you are searching for.
Especially if it is in more than one repository.
Lib files will usually only show from the main repository.
YaPI(any iso installer)

OscarTalks

#5 Post by OscarTalks »

Regarding apulse, this version has the libraries in a sub-directory so you will need to start firefox with your /usr/bin/firefox as a script which calls

apulse firefox
People reported other programs not working if the apulse libraries are installed in /usr/lib as before (overwriting the real pulse libraries).

Regarding the code for sandbox/whitelist, the developers keep changing things and you may find that this is not needed any more.

If libgtk-3 were needed but missing, I would not expect the browser to display at all, so it is probably already installed.
Oscar in England

CGP

#6 Post by CGP »

@OscarTalks:

Thanks for the reply.

I tried to figure out what you mean by:
you will need to start firefox with your /usr/bin/firefox as a script which calls

apulse firefox
but I can't. I tried to replace existing /usr/bin/firefox with a file of the same name containing that code. It did not work. I tried creating a firefox.sh file containing that code in /usr/bin/. It did not work.[/code]

Can you explain in more detail?

Thanks.

CGP

#7 Post by CGP »

@bigpup:

Thanks. I understand better.

Point 1) when I put "libgtk-3" into PPM's search field and search, I get:
Sorry, no matching package name.
That is what made me conclude that I did not understand how to search for libraries in PPM. Is libgtk-3 really not in any of the four repositories in my PPM or am I doing it wrong? The four repositories are:

ubuntu-trusty-multiverse
ubuntu-trusty-universe
puppy-noarch
puppy-tahr64

Point 2) Now I see that PPM searches all repositories and Categories (like Desktop, System, and Setup) in each search. I think that PPM is totally confusing in that regard. I hope someone who can re-code PPM is reading this. First, there should not be radio buttons for each repository - that makes one think that one has to select only one repository for each search. Second, consider this: suppose one selects one category such as Graphic and searches for a package. One gets some results. Suppose then one changes to a different category such as Filesystem. Then the first results immediately disappear and different results appear. It certainly seems that the results depend upon which category one has chosen. This is very confusing.

So, PPM should have a line of text somewhere in its window saying that all repositories and categories are searched in each search. That line should certainly also say that one must update databases before searching; it took me a long time to figure that out a few years ago.

Thanks in advance.

OscarTalks

#8 Post by OscarTalks »

As a test, try calling apulse firefox from terminal.
If that works, having the code in the script at /usr/bin/firefox should work.
Assuming you have the usual .desktop file in place so as to have a menu entry.
Otherwise, where did the Firefox come from and how are you starting it?

The point is, the apulse libraries are in /usr/lib/apulse if you have installed the .pet in the standard way. Firefox needs to read in that location first and give it priority over any libs of the same name in /usr/lib
That is why you are calling the little apulse wrapper first, it does that for you.
Oscar in England

CGP

#9 Post by CGP »

@OscarTalks

I tried apulse firefox from a terminal. Firefox started, but still with no audio for Youtube videos. I checked the Retrovol settings. They all seem correct.

I installed firefox-launchpad-plugin_0.5 from PPM. That is where the Firefox with no audio came from. After install there was a start menu icon but no desktop icon, so I dragged /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop to the desktop. I start Firefox by clicking on the desktop icon.

I just tried starting Firefox from the start menu icon. It started, but with no Youtube sound.

Yes, I installed apulse from your repository as stated above. I have a /usr/lib/apulse directory that contains 3 files that seem to be libraries (they have .so.0 extensions).

Any other ideas?

a_salty_dogg

#10 Post by a_salty_dogg »

@CGP

It may seem too obvious to mention, in which case I apologise, but do you hear audio in any websites?

If so, have you checked Youtube's audio isn't muted or turned down by hovering your mouse over the volume icon at the bottom of the video and checking the volume level bar alongside it is turned up to the max?
Attachments
ss.png
(43.36 KiB) Downloaded 1249 times

CGP

#11 Post by CGP »

Yes, I did check the youtube volume sliders. They are/were at 100%.

Just now I tested a bitchute.com video. No sound from it either. (I checked its volume setting, too.)

fredx181

#12 Post by fredx181 »

@CGP

You can also try install maybe the firefox-ESR version 60.0 .deb (also Quantum) from Debian Jessie
It works on TahrPup, having sound without the need of pulseaudio or apulse
See:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/amd6 ... r/download
Direct link to 64-bit .deb:
http://security.debian.org/debian-secur ... _amd64.deb

Also discussed about it here (for 32-bit though):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114938

Fred

CGP

#13 Post by CGP »

@Fred

Yes, it works! (I used the direct link to the 64-bit .deb for Firefox 60.4 ESR),

Thanks so much!

I guess someone should replace the existing Firefox 64.0 I initially downloaded using PPM with the ESR version. Or modify Firefox 64.0 to include a working apulse.

-----

@OscarTalks

If you come up with a solution for Firefox 64.0, please post it here. I will test it.

Thanks, too.

-----

All:

Any help in finding libraries, as mentioned above? Are the libraries in special repositories? Why can't I find libgtk-3 in PPM?

Thanks in advance.

CGP

#14 Post by CGP »

I tried to change the title of this topic to add SOLVED. But I can't figure out how. Clicking on edit on the right side of the page allows editing of the subject, but not title, it seems.

fredx181

#15 Post by fredx181 »

CGP wrote:Yes, it works! (I used the direct link to the 64-bit .deb for Firefox 60.4 ESR),

Good !
Indeed, still remains the mystery why apulse didn't work with the firefox from PPM.
Could be caused by the way Ubuntu build or package it, with firefox downloaded from Mozilla website, sound works with apulse (well, the last time I tested).
I tried to change the title of this topic to add SOLVED. But I can't figure out how. Clicking on edit on the right side of the page allows editing of the subject, but not title, it seems.
You can change the title but it's limited to a certain amount of characters, so if you shorten it a little and then add solved, it should work.

EDIT:
Why can't I find libgtk-3 in PPM?

It's there for me, but I have different Tahr than you use, maybe you need to update the package lists and then try again.
Btw, if this Quantum version runs ok for you, I guess gtk-3 is already installed.

Fred

bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

The four repositories in PPM are:

ubuntu-trusty-multiverse
ubuntu-trusty-universe
puppy-noarch
puppy-tahr64
PPM>Configure>Choose Repositories.
See if you can select ubuntu-trusty-main, to add it as a selected repository.
Should now see it in the list of repositories in PPM main window.
Now see if libgtk-3 will show up in a search.
YaPI(any iso installer)

CGP

#17 Post by CGP »

@bigpup

Yes! That was the problem. I had not selected ubuntu-trusty-main. When I did, it appeared in the list of repositories in the main PPM window. And I found libgtk-3. Great. Somehow you knew that libgtk-3 was in ubuntu-trusty-main. I wonder how.

Thanks for the help.

---

PPM and repositories are a mystery. Maybe I should start a new forum topic on using PPM.

For example, in PPM>Configure (also known as PPM>Tools), when I click on "Add new repo" nothing happens. I don't understand why not. Does that mean there are no more repositories to add?

And how is one to know when one is searching all the repositories for one's version of puppy? Is there a list of repositories for each version somewhere?

Thanks again.