Using a 64-bit OS with only 1GB RAM?

Booting, installing, newbie
Makoto

#16 Post by Makoto »

After a little digging, I found that the version of get_libreoffice which is included in XenialPup 7.5 (version 0.41) is apparently broken, which caused the problem I was seeing (it would quit immediately after offering the choice between stable or development versions of LibreOffice):
rerwin wrote:When I tried get_libreoffice in xenialpup 7.5, it exited immediately. I found and fixed the problem, yielding the attached version, 0.42. I also prevented an initial nonsense version entry from appearing and added history entries for versions 0.40 and 0.41, making assumptions from the changes I saw.

As for previous versions, this one needs to be uploaded to pet_packages-noarch on ibiblio.

The failure was due to the use of "grep -w" with a directory name as the pattern -- /mnt/devsave. Since that is not a "word", because it contains nonalphanumeric characters, nothing is found. Apparently, that was acceptable in the past, but no longer.

UPDATE 5/20/18:
Because 0.42 fixed only for 64_bit puppies and lost 32_bit support, I replaced it with 0.43 for both architectures and also fixed the splash messages reporting download failures, to include the failing file name.
(source: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 460#988460)

I'll admit I haven't tried the updated version, though, because I've already grabbed a recent LibreOffice SFS from the forum. :oops:
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

greengeek

Re: Using a 64-bit OS with only 1GB RAM?

#17 Post by greengeek »

Did you manage to find extra RAM for this tower? Or is it too expensive to get?

Makoto

#18 Post by Makoto »

I haven't seen anything locally (I've checked since making the OP), unfortunately.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

tallboy

#19 Post by tallboy »

Makoto wrote:A weird problem with PaleMoon is that right-click menus and child windows (bookmarks, preferences) do NOT graphically update, and I may be stuck with the same right-click menu throughout the session (no highlighting, either).
I have had a weird problem with my PM that may be related. The front page of a website was normal, but the graphics in it's forum suddenly went to text only! I don't know if you have the problem constantly, or if it limited to https-sites, as it was for me. It seems PM's default setup is to react even on a non-critical mixed content related to the https security sertificate. A small icon appear in front of the https in the address line (I didn't notice it at all) and some content goes into text mode. See picture of the icon and it's text popup when clicked. Normally, I get a warning that ask if I want to continue if the https sertificate is corrupted, but these small deviations from the setup in the original sertificate is not picked up by other brosers. It was permanently solved by toggling the setup in about:config:

security.mixed_content.block_active_content now set to false

It may help in your situation. You can enter the word block in about:config and see other related setup lines.

BTW, if you run about:memory in PM, choose Show memory reports -> click Measure, and scroll all the way down to the bottom 3 lines, there is some interesting info related to you question on memory. Mouse-over on the text will tell you about the meaning of the values shown. Nice feature!

If you run about:about, it will give an overview of all the settings that can be modified, if you want to get a laugh, run about:robots! :D
Attachments
block.jpg
(14.86 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Makoto

#20 Post by Makoto »

Under XenialPup 64, PM displays the pages without problems, mostly... it's just when there's things like a dropdown, right-click menu or child window, that things (items on the list, in the case of the dropdown), suddenly aren't being refreshed properly.

I suppose it could possibly be that it's not a fresh profile - I normally store my Mozilla (and PM) profiles outside my save files, and symlink to them. The PM profile works without problems in Precise, but has the odd problems in Xenial. I've only tried linking to my email profile, as well, but Thunderbird doesn't exhibit similar issues in XenialPup.

watchdog

#21 Post by watchdog »

Makoto wrote:PM displays the pages without problems, mostly... it's just when there's things like a dropdown, right-click menu or child window, that things (items on the list, in the case of the dropdown), suddenly aren't being refreshed properly.
I can confirm that there is that problem with PM, same here in various puppies. In right click menu I can't sometimes copy the link location for this problem and so I select the text and middle click to paste.

bigpup

#22 Post by bigpup »

Could you please post a link to a web page where this happens?
I want to see if it does it for me using Pale Moon 28.2.2 (64bit).
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

watchdog

#23 Post by watchdog »

I got a screenshot of a malfunction of this kind. I copied an address in the browser and then right clicking in this forum to paste is not possible.
Attachments
pic.png
(112.78 KiB) Downloaded 256 times

bigpup

#24 Post by bigpup »

Using latest PaleMoon 28.2.2

Seems to work for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSHzXsE_zN4

If you are trying to copy from the address slot at the top of the browser window.
I highlight the address.
Right click copy.
Right click paste into a posting on forum.

This is actually coming from the clipboard.

I have had times that the clipboard gets a little messed up, but removing all from clipboard fixes it.
Could check the clipboard preferences you are using.
YaPI(any iso installer)

watchdog

#25 Post by watchdog »

The right-click menu in palemoon 28 is affected by malfunctions when you use Tab Mix Plus extension. Disabling the extension the malfuctions disappear.

EDIT: further testing suggests that Tab Mix Plus is not the only culprit of malfuctions of the right click menu in palemoon 28. Started with a new profile and palemoon 28.3.0 and the problem was not definetely gone. I think this is the case of bad behaviour of palemoon with intel graphics. Choosing vesa driver the problem seems gone at this moment. Feedback from other users could help.
Last edited by watchdog on Fri 18 Jan 2019, 05:07, edited 1 time in total.

tallboy

#26 Post by tallboy »

watchdog wrote:Started with a new profile and palemoon 20.3.0 and the problem was not definetely gone.
Psst, did you remember to delete the /root/.cache/moonchild productions/ before testing a new one ?
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Makoto

#27 Post by Makoto »

For those having problems with the right-click menu (and perhaps the Preferences and Library windows) not displaying properly in Pale Moon 28.x, like I was, there's apparently an issue that may occur on systems with Intel Graphics hardware.

6502coder has posted a fix here. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a fix for those having problems with editing text on the location bar, at this time.

Dry Falls

right click copy/paste

#28 Post by Dry Falls »

right click copy/paste issue seems to me a problem not specific to pale moon but gtk3 itself. Helps to have a clipboard manager running. QT5 browsers don't exhibit the problem.

Makoto

#29 Post by Makoto »

I don't think Pale Moon currently uses GTK3, but I could be wrong.

Personally, I didn't have a problem with copy/paste.

watchdog

#30 Post by watchdog »

Palemoon is built against gtk+2. Right-click menu' is not properly working on my intel graphics machine. To paste you have to use sometimes the Menu-Bar Edit at top of the palemoon window. No problems in precise. I also have experimented with a precise chroot jail to run palemoon: it runs flawlessly without problems with precise graphic libraries. I think it's a xorg's problem.

Makoto

#31 Post by Makoto »

watchdog: Try the fix I mentioned above (and another one has been added which may help with the location bar problems).

How to fix Preferences in Pale Moon 28.x

Yeah - I share my Pale Moon profile between my Precise and XenialPup setups, and never experienced any of the issues under Precise.

watchdog

#32 Post by watchdog »

Makoto wrote:watchdog: Try the fix I mentioned above (and another one has been added which may help with the location bar problems).

How to fix Preferences in Pale Moon 28.x
I already have the 666philb's fix in about:config. It works to change preferences but I have still problems with the right-click menu. I'm now testing the latter fix by radky.

Makoto

#33 Post by Makoto »

I'll have to see if radky's fix helps with anything else, on my XenialPup setup. Of course, even better would be adding a dedicated graphics card. :oops: (Even now, the Intel Graphics hardware's still finding ways to cause problems for me...)

bigpup

#34 Post by bigpup »

I am using Intel graphics and have had none of these problems using PaleMoon.

Could you tell me what Intel processor is in the computer?

I Assume you are using the integrated graphics in the processor.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Makoto

#35 Post by Makoto »

It should be, as far as I'm aware. I don't think I've ever touched any of the BIOS settings on this tower, either.

Well, since HP has killed the link I posted for the tower's specs in the OP... (seriously, HP? I get not wanting to support 10+ year-old hardware/products, but would it have hurt to leave the specs page up?) according to the information on the tower, it's an Intel Pentium D 925.