Puppy School for Beginners

Booting, installing, newbie
mikeslr

#101 Post by mikeslr »

Puppy Linux 64x 8.0 -- which I take to mean Bionicpup64_8.0. Always specify which Puppy. I won't frighten you with the number of Puppies published in over a decade. But they are all different, available and someone's likely to still run them. Currently there are about 30 active versions. Each has its own thread, such as http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 69#1004969. Employing the EXACT name used in its thread avoids confusion.
apt-get > I get command not found.
Dell Laptop E6430 > I have no sound coming from my laptop either.

Although Binary compatible with Ubuntu Bionic Beaver and having access to Ubuntu repos, Bionicpup64 is not Ubuntu. It does not use apt-get, nor synaptic.

For applications not included, first try Menu>Setup>Quickpet. Quickpet may also have an launcher on the Desktop. Applications via Quickpet are usually built to work with the offering Puppy OOTB.

2nd place to look: http://wellminded.net63.net/ plug in the application and the name --such as Bionicpup64-- to see if someone has already built it, or has experience with it.

Menu>Setup>Puppy Package Manager has a search box and provides direct access to Puppy's own and Ubuntu's repositories. It can be configured to download and install not only an application, but also any dependencies. It is good, but --when accessing Ubuntu's repos-- not perfect. Hence, this is mentioned after a Wellminded Search which may alert you to problems, configurations, work-arounds and ultimate failures.

When in doubt about an application, post questions to the thread of a specific Puppy; the specific application if it has its own thread -- see the Additional Software Section of the Forum-- or the User's Section.

charlane_meyer

#102 Post by charlane_meyer »

mikeslr wrote:Puppy Linux 64x 8.0 -- which I take to mean Bionicpup64_8.0. Always specify which Puppy. I won't frighten you with the number of Puppies published in over a decade. But they are all different, available and someone's likely to still run them. Currently there are about 30 active versions. Each has its own thread, such as http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 69#1004969. Employing the EXACT name used in its thread avoids confusion.
apt-get > I get command not found.
Dell Laptop E6430 > I have no sound coming from my laptop either.

Although Binary compatible with Ubuntu Bionic Beaver and having access to Ubuntu repos, Bionicpup64 is not Ubuntu. It does not use apt-get, nor synaptic.

For applications not included, first try Menu>Setup>Quickpet. Quickpet may also have an launcher on the Desktop. Applications via Quickpet are usually built to work with the offering Puppy OOTB.

2nd place to look: http://wellminded.net63.net/ plug in the application and the name --such as Bionicpup64-- to see if someone has already built it, or has experience with it.

Menu>Setup>Puppy Package Manager has a search box and provides direct access to Puppy's own and Ubuntu's repositories. It can be configured to download and install not only an application, but also any dependencies. It is good, but --when accessing Ubuntu's repos-- not perfect. Hence, this is mentioned after a Wellminded Search which may alert you to problems, configurations, work-arounds and ultimate failures.

When in doubt about an application, post questions to the thread of a specific Puppy; the specific application if it has its own thread -- see the Additional Software Section of the Forum-- or the User's Section.
Thank you! I have it in my head....BionicPup64, and will go to search these areas.

Charlane
Dell Laptop E6430 with 4GB Ram, 1TB HD, and Puppy Linux 64x 8.0.

All rights reserved.

charlane_meyer

#103 Post by charlane_meyer »

Ok not happening. I don't care about bluetooth anymore because my sound is getting turned off and no matter how many times I reinstall BionicPup64 and I am not seeing it in the above links. At least not yet. Trying to get Janky to do anything is like pulling teeth. I get a response from the command "agent KeyboardOnly" and "default-agent", but "power on" gets nowhere that no controller is loaded (Bluez) and I have installed it before and still got nowhere. I am trying to acclimate to the forum search engine and I am not finding any prior experiences that I can glean from. All comments welcome.

Charlane
Dell Laptop E6430 with 4GB Ram, 1TB HD, and Puppy Linux 64x 8.0.

All rights reserved.