Fatdog64-800 Alpha / Beta [20 Dec 2018] [CLOSED]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jamesbond

#76 Post by jamesbond »

rufwoof wrote:
01micko wrote:Uhoh... simple-mtpfs fails with

Code: Select all

mick$ mtp-browser.sh 
Device 0 (VID=0fce and PID=01f1) is a SONY XPeria XZ Premium.
/home/mick/mtp_G8141
LIBMTP PANIC: Trying to dump the error stack of a NULL device!
I'll try it as root.

Later - hmmm.... works as root.
Permissions issue? IIRC simple-mtpfs uses fusermount, can your user userid manually sshfs mount for instance?
Based on observations, the MTP stuff seems to have a lot of rules in /lib64/udev/rules.d/69-libmtp.rules. All of them are configure (by default) to be accessible by "disk" group. This "disk" group has no member, so apart from root, that symlink is not accessible. Try adding your non-roo user to the "disk" group, and let me know how you go.

@mavrothal:
The Xft.dpi issue - I can't reproduce this in qemu. When I set the Xft.dpi to 168, control panel text is _huge_ but I can still see every item. Can you please post screenshot?

@step:
The one who made control panel faster isn't me. It's SFR :D so the thanks should go to him :D
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

SFR

#77 Post by SFR »

rufwoof wrote:
01micko wrote:Uhoh... simple-mtpfs fails with

mick$ mtp-browser.sh
Device 0 (VID=0fce and PID=01f1) is a SONY XPeria XZ Premium.
/home/mick/mtp_G8141
LIBMTP PANIC: Trying to dump the error stack of a NULL device!
I'll try it as root.

Later - hmmm.... works as root.
Permissions issue? IIRC simple-mtpfs uses fusermount, can your user userid manually sshfs mount for instance?
I can reproduce it with my old tablet, so I strace'd simple-mtpfs and got this:

write(2, "libusb_open() failed!: Permissio"..., 83) = 83
The relevant device in /dev/bus/usb/... has crw-rw-r-- perms.

Works, if we change this in /etc/udev/rules.d/54-fatdog-permissions.rules:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", MODE="0664"
to:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", MODE="0666"
But I'm not sure if it's a good idea...

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

jamesbond

#78 Post by jamesbond »

SFR wrote:I can reproduce it with my old tablet, so I strace'd simple-mtpfs and got this:

write(2, "libusb_open() failed!: Permissio"..., 83) = 83
The relevant device in /dev/bus/usb/... has crw-rw-r-- perms.
Thanks SFR. Did you notice the owner:group? Is the group "disk"? If yes, then adding the userid to the "disk" group should grant it access.
Works, if we change this in /etc/udev/rules.d/54-fatdog-permissions.rules:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", MODE="0664"
to:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", MODE="0666"
But I'm not sure if it's a good idea...
No, it's not. We should instead find a more specific udev rules (which applies only to this particular device) and then either set the MODE to 666 or change the GROUP to whatever the non-root user's group is.

That's the "standard" way of doing these kind of stuff. Here's just one of them: https://askubuntu.com/questions/15570/c ... hid-device.

That's one of the benefit of running as root - you don't have to mess around with these pesky udev rules :lol:
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Acodin

#79 Post by Acodin »

jamesbond wrote:
Acodin wrote:Trying to unpack rootfs image as initramfs...
rootfs image is not initramfs (no cpio magic); looks like an initrd
a) What's your bootloader?
b) Did you try SFR's suggestions to boot with other OS?
a) syslinux from fd64 installer
b) yes i try so i can make a little update of posts, anyway i must find new 2G ram module

fd64 800

fd64 721 kernel 4.7.1
rootfs image is not initramfs (junk in compressed archive) looks like an initrd

ubuntu
Initramfs unpacking failed: LZMA data is corrupt
Last edited by Acodin on Tue 20 Nov 2018, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

SFR

#80 Post by SFR »

jamesbond wrote:Did you notice the owner:group? Is the group "disk"? If yes, then adding the userid to the "disk" group should grant it access.
Nope, it's root:root.

But I added:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", GROUP="disk"
to 54-fatdog-permissions.rules and then added my 'testuser' to the 'disk' group, reconnected, relogined and now it works as advertised. :)

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

don570

#81 Post by don570 »

Some good news!

My Lenova desktop has
Intel 945G Graphics Memory Controller Hub - NG82945G chipset
Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Blender 2.79b doesn't work.
But I read
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... l#opengl21
Missing OpenGL 2.1 Support
From Februrary 2017 onwards, Mesa (the open-source OpenGL library) has dropped OpenGL 2.1 support for certain older and less capable Intel graphic cards.
If you need to run applications that need OpenGL 2.1 (e.g. blender) for these cards, it is possible to retro-fit the the OpenGL 2.1 support.
This is done editing /etc/drirc and adding the following snippets:

<driconf>
<device driver="i915">
<application name="Default">
<option name="stub_occlusion_query" value="true" />
<option name="fragment_shader" value="true" />
</application>
</device>
</driconf>
I tried this and got Blender to work!! Great.

mavrothal

#82 Post by mavrothal »

jamesbond wrote:@mavrothal:
The Xft.dpi issue - I can't reproduce this in qemu. When I set the Xft.dpi to 168, control panel text is _huge_ but I can still see every item. Can you please post screenshot?
I can see everything too. I said "the first row of the Desktop tab does not work!" ie you click and nothing happens.
Example pics (from a VM, but same with physical machine)
Attachments
second_row.jpg
(111.13 KiB) Downloaded 665 times
first_row.jpg
(104.42 KiB) Downloaded 667 times
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

don570

audacious-2.5.1

#83 Post by don570 »

For people who like audacious audio player (like me)

I put a fatdog package together with old libraries.
I made it for fatdog64 710 but it works for fatdog64 800 as well.
The libraries are kept in /opt folder to avoid strange behaviour.

Available:
audacious-2.5.1-x86_64.txz
Size: 1.1 mb
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nyvXf ... QexonXD6bb

SFR

#84 Post by SFR »

mavrothal wrote:I can see everything too. I said "the first row of the Desktop tab does not work!" ie you click and nothing happens.
I can repro it.
Clicking anything in the first row makes all icons to shift up/down a little.
Works if I increase the window's height.

Greetings!

Billtoo

Fatdog64-800 Alpha [16 Nov 2018]

#85 Post by Billtoo »

I moved my SSD install again to my Gateway desktop.
The nouveau driver is working well.
No problems so far.

Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot5.jpg
(99.98 KiB) Downloaded 591 times

01micko

#86 Post by 01micko »

SFR wrote:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", GROUP="disk"
to 54-fatdog-permissions.rules and then added my 'testuser' to the 'disk' group, reconnected, relogined and now it works as advertised. :)

Greetings!
Bingo! I had already added my user to the disk group to no avail. Adding the rule and logging back in and we have working android access. :)

Cheers SFR!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Sage

#87 Post by Sage »

[01micko - nice to see you about again? Slacko7/8?!]

Wifi reprise: two alleged network icons in tray?! Well, without reference to the browser guide (vide infra), finally managed to get connected after a skirmish with PSK - not heard of that before. Scanning was protracted despite being half-a-room from the router. Wasn't sure whether the 'browser guide' would fire up before being connected? Still unsure. However, after reading it after connecting, still as clear as mud. Arcane was an understatement. We know you guys are very adept in your chosen field but the clever thing is making it easy for dumb folks like me. Presently that is very definitely not the case, so my recommendation for something simple like SNS, or even simpler like used by the 'majors' would seem essential. For example, I can usually connect to wifi during initial installation with several mainline offerings because they will want to know that I am not hamstrung by the ridiculous US Laws relating to codecs so that they can d/l them during the process! There has to be an easier way!
But I still like FD64!

Acodin

#88 Post by Acodin »

Acodin wrote:
jamesbond wrote:
Acodin wrote:Trying to unpack rootfs image as initramfs...
a) What's your bootloader?
b) Did you try SFR's suggestions to boot with other OS?
a) syslinux from fd64 installer
b) yes i try so i can make a little update of posts, anyway i must find new 2G ram module

fd64 800

fd64 721 kernel 4.7.1
rootfs image is not initramfs (junk in compressed archive) looks like an initrd

ubuntu
Initramfs unpacking failed: LZMA data is corrupt

I checked with other ram modules

nothing works :x I know that the problem goes beyond this discussion, but maybe someone has any ideas?

Baldronicus

#89 Post by Baldronicus »

Hi,

Thank you for making Fatdog64 available.

The above laptop has a few "complications" as it also has a separate graphics card in addition to the APU, and it has one of those newer Elan "Precision" touchpads.

I have only been using Fatdog64-800a in live mode with no savefile. At present the hard drive is out, as things are part way through a swap (not a failure, just shifting the deck chairs).

a) With FD64-721 the "nomodeset" parameter was needed to get to the desktop.
FD64-800a gets there without needing it. Thankyou.

b) Until FD64-800a I had been using a mouse with all the distros I had been using, as the touchpad didn't seem to be recognised. With 800a it works. I have only tried moving the cursor and using the left and right "buttons"(which is all I need). Thankyou again. (If you want me to, I could test some of the "gestures", but I'll have to check the manual, and I don't know what settings should be adjusted, if any).

c) First problem- turning off the laptop doesn't seem to complete when shutting down. The usual messages seem to appear as part of the process, the screen blanks etc, and it seems like it has stopped, but the "on" light remains lit even if one waits for a little while. Holding the power button down for more than four seconds does the trick, though. It is, perhaps, not a big thing if you are aware and remember, but I thought I should mention it.

d) Selecting "Pipe Panic" from the menu results in a "Unnamed Window" appearing (sometimes with fragments of the expected display showing in the lower parts of the window, but, more frequently, just black). Following this it may, or may not, be possible to close the window with a "mouse click". Regardless, subsequent attempts to use the mouse "buttons" seem to fail, although I think the cursor can still be moved in most cases. Ctrl-alt-backspace seems to result in a number of dialog boxes etc appearing before the screen shuts down. I think they may be the result of queued actions from my "crazed clicking" being freed before shutdown of the server. I will try to attach a bug report for this. I borked it- doesn't like xz. I will need to check further. Thanks.
Clicking Gvucview (if I have spelt it correctly) in the menu seems to result in similar behaviour.

e) There is also a suspicion that a longer period of inactivity might result in the mouse "buttons" becoming inoperative, but I need to check this properly.

I realise that a lot of this might have something to do with the touchpad, so please advise if you want me to try again with just an attached mouse. However, I am not sure how to isolate the touchpad once it is recognised.
Similarly, I could try using "nomodeset" to see if it is more stable. Ahhh, another monster post and I am thinking as I am writing. I will never finish this if I don't stop now. I'll try the "nomodeset" a bit later.

Thanks again.

Edit- I can't spell or key it seems.
Last edited by Baldronicus on Tue 20 Nov 2018, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

Baldronicus

#90 Post by Baldronicus »

Hi again,

Hopefully the file should be attached (and hopefully it has been saved properly).

Thanks again.
Attachments
bugreport.tar.xz.zip
(102.57 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

smokey01

#91 Post by smokey01 »

Sage wrote:[01micko - nice to see you about again? Slacko7/8?!]

Wifi reprise: two alleged network icons in tray?! Well, without reference to the browser guide (vide infra), finally managed to get connected after a skirmish with PSK - not heard of that before. Scanning was protracted despite being half-a-room from the router. Wasn't sure whether the 'browser guide' would fire up before being connected? Still unsure. However, after reading it after connecting, still as clear as mud. Arcane was an understatement. We know you guys are very adept in your chosen field but the clever thing is making it easy for dumb folks like me. Presently that is very definitely not the case, so my recommendation for something simple like SNS, or even simpler like used by the 'majors' would seem essential. For example, I can usually connect to wifi during initial installation with several mainline offerings because they will want to know that I am not hamstrung by the ridiculous US Laws relating to codecs so that they can d/l them during the process! There has to be an easier way!
But I still like FD64!
@Sage,

Try these steps:

1. Click on the wifi tray icon. ( you should see an adapter. If not, maybe a suitable driver is not available.) If you plugged in a wifi adaptor after you booted the computer, you may need to right-click on the wifi icon in the tray and restart the connection.
2. Click the scan button.
3. Double click on the access point (SSID) that you wish to connect to.
4. Enter the access point password in the PSK field. (Pre-Shared Key)
5. Click Add.

Within a few seconds you should be connected.

Baldronicus

#92 Post by Baldronicus »

@ Acodin

Hi Acodin,

I am butting in, with little knowledge, so this probably won't help.

Nevertheless, are all the RAM modules (including the 2G one that works) actually specificied as DDR2-667 ones?

The reason I ask is that I think DDR2-667 might be a bit harder to get here, as (if my recollection is correct) DDR2-800 modules started coming out and sort of took over even before they were even kind of official (but I could be wrong).
I don't know what kind of supply is available where you are.

This may even be irrelevant as many systems could just run with the 800. But with 4Gig you are trying to run at the max. I have a laptop (granted, with a ULV processor, which may be more sensitive) that won't even look at the DDR2-800 RAM.

There is also the strong possibility that the laptop is attempting to run in Dual-channel mode whenever more than one memory module is in place. It is my understanding that Dual-channel requires identical memory modules (close enough may not be good enough).

When you load the different RAM modules, can you get to the BIOS to see what it is recognising and whether it is trying to run in Dual-channel mode?

I know you said that you had done a Memtest, but does the BIOS have it's own quick memory check? (Or is that the memory test that you mean, rather than a full Memtest86 check)?

Apologies if this is just wasting your time, but I thought I should ask.
Thanks.

don570

#93 Post by don570 »

I was able to get gmic plugins to work for gimp if I installed fftw3 and
png12 library as well
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/packag ... 6_64-1.txz
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/packag ... 6_64-1.txz
Available
gmic-plugin-64bit-1.7.9.pet
Size 5mb
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sHHf0 ... lBvZ-7aCM7

Billtoo

Fatdog64-800 Alpha [16 Nov 2018]

#94 Post by Billtoo »

I've moved the SSD back to my Compaq Presario because I've made a few changes here and it runs well on the Presario.
Now using a wireless adapter which I setup in the control panel, boots with wireless every time.

Works well,
Thanks.
Attachments
back2compaq.jpg
(36.95 KiB) Downloaded 780 times

Acodin

#95 Post by Acodin »

Hangs at 'Booting the kernel' after ram upgrade problem solved.

it was so simple that it was stupid

I described my problem in Russian and found the answer in the second result

I added to the boot command line 'mem=5G' (because when i put here 4G fatdog loads only 3G of RAM). I really sincerely thank you all for your help.