Fatdog64-800 Alpha / Beta [20 Dec 2018] [CLOSED]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mavrothal

#31 Post by mavrothal »

jamesbond wrote:
mavrothal wrote:I guess you can check for the applesmc module
Done.

Can you please check, when you boot 800 on MBP (withoust savefile), did you get /etc/init.d/15-mbpfan enabled? If yes, is the mbpfan running?
I just checked my code again, mbpfan should work already.

Thanks!
You are right. It does work (I forgot that fd's ps has the standard behavior :oops: )

Regarding modules and drivers, how likely (1-10) is for the kernel to change till 800 final?

Another little thing. Booting a VM for first time from an ISO it still picked the fd64save from an old install at the root of the partition. No major issues (as the savefile was relatively clean) but if this is not recommended you might want to safeguard against it.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

quirkian2new

#32 Post by quirkian2new »

Just downloaded 800alpha, extracted from the iso the 2 files vmlinuz and initrd and over-write those of FD721 on hard drive.

Reboot and now posting from 800alpha. Glad to see that the extrasfs boot option still remains. I've not done any remaster since the introduction of extrasfs. I put my favrouite browsers (palemoon and min browser) and their config files in an sfs on hard drive and 800alpha loads it naturally.

will test other apps this week end.

Thank you guys for your endless and valuable efforts.

SFR

#33 Post by SFR »

Acodin wrote:
SFR wrote:Does it hang if you boot FD directly from CD/USB instead of sda1?
What bootloader are you using and have you tried a different one?
No matter that is cd, usb or sda - happens the same thing. I'm using syslinux bootloader from fatdog installer.

Thank you for your interest in my problem in this vortex of excitement.

I would like to add that the problem occurs on the Internet, but I still don't know how to fix that.
Hmm, you could append loglevel=7 to your bootloader line, so if the kernel starts at all, we could at least see at which point it hangs.
I mean the 4G RAM scenario, where it hangs at boot.

Btw, are you adding RAM to an existing 2G module or replacing it with a single 4G module?
If the former, perhaps the modules are incompatibile with each other in some way..?

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Acodin

#34 Post by Acodin »

i'm adding 2gb to 2gb.

@edit: attachment

@edit2:
SFR wrote: If the former, perhaps the modules are incompatibile with each other in some way..?
I will chech that, but i now have only two 2gb dices. And yes this is possible, because i mix hynix with kingston in both cases (3gb and 4gb). After all, please check my bug report.

Please note that this problem is not new on the internet.
Attachments
bugreport.tar.xz.zip
loglevel=7
(75.72 KiB) Downloaded 582 times

jamesbond

#35 Post by jamesbond »

Acodin,

Please try adding this to the boot command line:

video=SVIDEO-1:d

And please report back.

EDIT:

@SFR: Ref: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93782. Scroll to the bottom. The fix was posted on 12/13 November (depending on your timezone). That's less than a week ago (https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/52378/).

Acodin has this: VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller. The same VGA adapter which is problematic.
Last edited by jamesbond on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Acodin

#36 Post by Acodin »

@up:

with 'loglevel=7' ?

jamesbond

#37 Post by jamesbond »

Acodin wrote:@up:

with 'loglevel=7' ?
Yes. As I've just added, this seems to be a long running bug that was "worked-around-but-never-really-fixed" from kernel 4.4.x onwards. The proposed fix for the current mainline dates is less than a week's old; so expect the problem to continue for a while longer, unfortunately.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

kirk

#38 Post by kirk »

First, I tried to boot it on the 4gb ram, then I took out one ram dice and run bugreport.sh
Looks like the kernel is crashing. It happens after the intel graphics module i915 is loaded. Your bug report is from 721. If the same thing is happening in 800, that's pretty bad since 721 and 800 have different kernels, drivers, xorg, etc. Try booting with this on the kernel line:

loglevel=7 savefile=none nomodeset blacklist=i915

Hopefully that will get you to a desktop.
Is anyone else having problems with Seamonkey in Fatdog-800 and activating or even downloading "ADD-ONs"?
Just to expand on what has already been posted. This will be fixed in the next release. You can install libicu-full using Gslapt, or unzip the attached file and place it in /usr/share/icu/62.1/icudt62l/
Was this edition of Seamonky compiled by the Fatdog-Team? The reason I ask is that there are "Add-Ons" already included with the Seamonkey that I did not put there and/or download.
Yes, also note that Seamonkey's user agent string is no longer recognized by Google and probably others. This causes web pages to displayed incorrectly and is a problem in 721 now too. That's the reason for the inclusion of "User Agent Switcher".
Regarding modules and drivers, how likely (1-10) is for the kernel to change till 800 final?
There's 100% chance the kernel will be upgraded before final, probably whatever the latest 4.19.x is at the time.
Attachments
likelySubtags.res.gz
(19.72 KiB) Downloaded 596 times
Last edited by kirk on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.

Acodin

#39 Post by Acodin »

I'm sorry but I'm in a hurry for the train and I will read it and answer in a few hours :x

I'm angry because I really want to fix it. Sorry again.

@edit:
kirk wrote: Looks like the kernel is crashing. It happens after the intel graphics module i915 is loaded. Your bug report is from 721. If the same thing is happening in 800, that's pretty bad since 721 and 800 have different kernels, drivers, xorg, etc. Try booting with this on the kernel line:
Read everything please. I wrote that the problem occurs on different kernels and both versions.
loglevel=7 savefile=none nomodeset blacklist=i915
doesn't help
Attachments
bugreport.tar.xz.zip
loglevel=7 video=SVIDEO-1:d
(73.31 KiB) Downloaded 577 times

kirk

#40 Post by kirk »

Read everything please. I wrote that the problem occurs on different kernels and both versions.
Yes I understood that, I was trying to say that it's not a good sign that it's happening with different kernels since it seems to be a kernel bug.

I didn't see Jame's post about video=SVIDEO-1:d until after my previous post. I just looked at your last bug report, video=SVIDEO-1:d seems to have fixed the kernel crash. Is the problem the same?

Acodin

#41 Post by Acodin »

kirk wrote:I didn't see Jame's post about video=SVIDEO-1:d until after my previous post. I just looked at your last bug report, video=SVIDEO-1:d seems to have fixed the kernel crash. Is the problem the same?
Same.

SFR

#42 Post by SFR »

SFR wrote:Hmm, you could append loglevel=7 to your bootloader line, so if the kernel starts at all, we could at least see at which point it hangs.
I mean the 4G RAM scenario, where it hangs at boot.
Acodin wrote:@edit: attachment
Did you boot with 4G of RAM? And it worked this time, so you could use 'bugreport' tool?
As I understood, it produces hang at boot?
jamesbond wrote:@SFR: Ref: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93782. Scroll to the bottom. The fix was posted on 12/13 November (depending on your timezone). That's less than a week ago (https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/52378/).

Acodin has this: VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller. The same VGA adapter which is problematic.
At last! :roll:
I don't have access to that old HP laptop with Intel graphics anymore, so won't be able to test it anyway...

However, Acodin's issue seems to have something to do with RAM - booting sequence hangs at "Booting the kernel" line, but only with 3/4G of RAM (mixed modules).
In my case (HP) it was black screen for ~1 minute right before reaching the desktop, so much more later.
Well, it should at least improve Acodin's boot time with the default 2G of RAM, though. :wink:

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

kirk

#43 Post by kirk »

The fix was posted on 12/13 November (depending on your timezone). That's less than a week ago (https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/52378/).
Unfortunately the patch doesn't apply to 4.19.1, must be for 4.20rc or linux-next. Maybe they'll back port it since 4.19.x is a long term kernel.

step

#44 Post by step »

@Sage no need to set up wifi from Control Panel. You can click the wpa_gui icon in the tray and set up wifi and wired from there.

@Belham2 With the DevX loaded, I was able to install the followin add-ons to my set up: Download Status Bar, Duplicate This Tab, ErrorZill Plus [converted], Mozilla Archive Format, PrefBar, Private Tab, SQLite Manager, True Full Screen in SeaMonkey, uBlock Origin. And I keep Lightning and Provider for Google Calendar disabled. Installing add-ons for SeaMonkey takes some extra work, because some add-ons no longer work, and some need to be converted (there is a converter tool page somewhere at SeaMonkey's home).

There is another built-in screenshot taker, give it a try. Just press the Print key to take a whole screen. Find the screenshot in your home folder (/root). If you run it in a terminal window you can see all options:

Code: Select all

Usage: xscreenshot [-k hotkey] [-p path] [-n index]
Copyright (C) James Budiono, 2014. License: GPL version 3.0 or later

-h      : this text
 -k key  : multiple shots mode, use 'key' as hotkey (default none)
 -p path : path/filename for screenshot (default is $HOME/xscreenshot)
 -d delay: the delay (in seconds) for fullscreen screenshot (default 5)

If you don't use -k, the program will take one screenshot and exit.
If you do: press hotkey to enter screenshot taking mode, take as many
  screenshots, and press hotkey to return back to normal mode.
  Press Ctrl-Shift-hotkey to terminate program
It shows some more info when you actually assign a shortcut key:

Code: Select all

# xscreenshot -k z
--- Mouse usage ---
Left-click  - press to start, move to select, release to take shot
Right-click - cancel current selection, (in single-shot: once more to exit.)
--- Multiple shots mode enabled ---
z            - to toggle screenshot taking mode
Shift-z      - fullscreen delayed screenshot with mouse
Ctrl-z       - fullscreen delayed screenshot without mouse
Ctrl-Shift-z - exit
@mavrothal Thanks for the "beta" compliment. :)

@LateAdopter I run Vivaldi 2.1 too. I like it, but on Fatdog it's noticeably slower than SeaMonkey and opera(-developer). I think you need to install the ffmpeg extra library to get H.264 support (it's the same for all chromium-based browsers). The library isn't available in the Fatdog64 repo, but you can visit Vivaldi forums (or google) and look for the latest-proprietary-media.sh script, which downloads the library from the Ubuntu repos.

@Fatdog Team
I've seen this fix "video=SVIDEO-1:d" at work for Fatdog-721 (not 800, sorry). Without the fix the PC proceeds to the desktop but it takes a couple of minutes to do so, because of several 10 second waits in the kernel. With the fix the PC boots at normal speed.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

p310don

#45 Post by p310don »

So I booted with standard initrd after 5 or so minutes, but otherwise no real issues that I came across.

Then I booted with initrd-nano. No save file, but gets to a login prompt for bulldog linux as pictured...
Attachments
bulldog.jpg
(91.31 KiB) Downloaded 865 times

Billtoo

Fatdog64-800 Alpha [16 Nov 2018]

#46 Post by Billtoo »

I moved my SSD install to another computer, eth0 became eth1 so I
configured the network monitor in the tray to use eth1.
Working well, boots in about 15 seconds.
Have to call up the system boot menu and choose the SSD as the boot
device.
----------------------------------
EDIT:
I added Gkrellm system monitor.
----------------------------------
EDIT2:
Nexuiz242 works too, :)
Attachments
screenshot3.jpg
(128.88 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
screenshot2.jpg
(95.92 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
screenshot.jpg
(86.82 KiB) Downloaded 766 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Sat 17 Nov 2018, 18:56, edited 2 times in total.

Sage

#47 Post by Sage »

@Sage no need to set up wifi from Control Panel. You can click the wpa_gui icon in the tray and set up wifi and wired from there.
Appreciate your assistance, step, but, sadly, not! Most distros allow a simple wifi setup from a panel icon; most of them work (but there are a few that don't from developers that really ought to know better!). Unfortunately, I find the FD icon setup not only arcane but wouldn't work (at least, without some inside knowledge and guidance). Control Panel setup is indeed arcane, sufficient to baffle any neophyte. Really cannot think why it's necessary to get users to jump through all those hoops when all that's required is to select wifi and insert a p/w once a scan (which could've been automatic, anyway) has found your (instantly recognised) portal ready to click 'connect'. Afraid BK/Douglas got that one correct with their ancient SNS offering. Only other issues are likely to be obscure wifi units for which their driver is not loaded/recognised (BK/A.N.O. sent me detect/load/activate instructions for one of those around a decade ago, and which I've now lost!).
As a mere user, I must advocate for the great unwashed without your depth of cognisance!
Otherwise, FD is fantastic.

LateAdopter

#48 Post by LateAdopter »

Ha Ha at last I have a bug

After boot up the numlock light is ON but numlock is OFF. I have gb standard english keyboard.

With fd710 the light is on in the boot menu and goes OFF ON OFF during boot.

With fd8 the light misses the last OFF

The first press of the numlock key turns numlock ON and the light stays ON, the second press turns numlock OFF and the light OFF.

Acodin

#49 Post by Acodin »

SFR wrote: Did you boot with 4G of RAM? And it worked this time, so you could use 'bugreport' tool?
As I understood, it produces hang at boot?

However, Acodin's issue seems to have something to do with RAM - booting sequence hangs at "Booting the kernel" line, but only with 3/4G of RAM (mixed modules).

In my case (HP) it was black screen for ~1 minute right before reaching the desktop, so much more later.
Everytime when I try to boot with 4G of RAM it does't work. Then I disconnecting laptop from power supply and battery if I don't forget that and removing one 2G module. With 2G of RAM fatdog is booting to desktop where i using bugreport.sh .

I don't understand what it has to graphics.

It hangs on default kernel of fatdog 721 same as on version 800, but on kernel 4.7.1 it produces bootloop, so it's not long loading i think.

I will try with others RAM dices. Do you know what else I could try?
Sorry for my crappy engslish.

artsown

#50 Post by artsown »

Sage spoke of being a advocate for the "great unwashed", and I find
myself having the same sentiment. The president of a company I once
worked for (as a engineer) liked to speak of engineering triumphs often
being marketing disasters. That's precisely the way I view Fatdog64. The
talented team of experts developing and supporting it don't seem to
have a interest in creating a marketable (easily useable) product.

For example, about two years ago, I asked about the apparent lack
of a time sync app. No problem, I was told. Simply go to Control Panel -
System - Manage Servers and Services. Scroll down and click on either
ntpd-boot or ntpd-client option and enable one of them. This obscure
thing is unfortunately still with us in 800 alpha.

Art