I finally got a new(er) PC, which Puppy is the best for me?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Peterm321

#31 Post by Peterm321 »

mikeslr wrote: IIRC --I'm currently too lazy to search for my prior post written after researching the specifics-- the maximum size of a partition which can be managed as an Ext3 partition is 16 Terabytes. I don't have any drive anywhere near that size. Again, suspecting that using Ext4-32-bit will require more computer resources than Ext3, I don't see any advantage, and don't. In short, I use Ext3.

I suppose I did wander from the topic a bit, but as you rightly allude people's mileage may vary. For me I haven't used journalling wouldn't care too much for all those writes. I'm old enough to remember floppy drives and its two FATS but whenever I corrupted a file the corruption affected both FATs and never once benefitted from it so I miss (not) the protection of journalling also.

Ext4 comes with extra options over Ext2 including the use of extents and faster fsck time. For some reason or another Android adopted Ext4 rather than go for the supposedly then available Ext2. I do use Ext2 on my boot partition though, as my version of GRUB will not read Ext4.

https://superuser.com/questions/31324/i ... cant-issue

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/239 ... ndroid-use

Getting back to this main thread topic, having used Wary, Raring and now Tahr I would say I'm happy with Tahr though may opt for a PAE Puppy if my RAM was greater than 4GB.

oui

#32 Post by oui »

I Mike
Mike Walsh wrote:
oui wrote:It is probably an error to continue to use

- 32 bit on 64 bit
- ext3 instead of ext4
- old grub legacy instead of official actual grub!
Mmm...

So, in other words, you're recommending the use of 64-bit, bog-standard mainstream Linux. Why? I thought these were the Puppy forums.....not the Debian 'mafia'. And I fail to see what it has to do with helping tallboy to find a 'Puppy' for his needs.
Stooooop! They are some excellent 64 bit Puppies for each need! You will do their authors wrong with another claim and split the community into two communities! It is to late: Puppy has reached the stage of 64 bits into it.... And as I see also Barry!
32-bit Pups run very fast on a 64-bit CPU. I've been running them that way for years.....with great success.
Also I: I use Pupjibaro Jessie daily, I like it, as it present himself, the scope of stuff offered, the today possibility to use synaptic etc, But not really with great success! Seamonkey, my prefered browser as a very old Puppyist claims "waiting too long waiting time" on pages of news papers offering an great quantity of animations! my processor has 8 32-bit cores!

For this reason I use also the 64 bit puppy with the same version of Seamonkey, but all 64 bit in puppy_bionicpup64 (a great version of Puppy)! No sluggishness any more! In the past I was an assembler programmer for TMS9000 as well as Z80 but 4 decades are gone! Will you stop the 64 bit aera? We can't: we are a too small community and also need powerful solutions for pictures, video, sound and games... If our 64 bit offering is only offered as an outsider of Puppy, our offering will not continue to be attractive. It is unrealistic!
And as for 'official' GRUB2.....arrghh!!! I want nothing to do with that misbegotten abortion of a thing. How a bootloader can be that bloated, and need so many different files in so many different places (not to speak of wanting its own partition...??!!), is completely beyond me.

To me, Puppy is all about the K.I.S.S principle. (Keep It Simple, Stupid...) And that's why I like Grub4DOS. For my purposes, at least, it just 'works'....

Mike. :wink:
I continue to use Debian as it is the only one preserved (about) completely open source Linux standard (a bit, but only a bit now any more, with Slackware). I know that a lot of Puppyists are apprehensive to erase Windows from her PC. I have no Windows any more since ab. 10 y.! But I am apprehensive don't to be able to try divers things offered by Debian, sorry. Ok it would possible to do the same with Arch. But Arch is to strenuous for as it's need permanent update. In Debian, I can sometimes use 5 y. and more the same level from SID to the publication of the next stable! And after that it is possible to use the set of CD's/DVD'S I can buy for only some money... I will never have the problems of erased binary depositories I have in Puppy's with Ubuntu based versions :idea: : no binary any more (of course not for the standard Puppy applications being on the separate Puppy depository!).

but the price: I must accept the world wide standard and it is the actual Grub!

sorry....

tallboy

#33 Post by tallboy »

musher0, I was wrong! Your Xenialpup does save to a multisession CD-R. But, as with BionicBeaver, the Save button which appears on the desktop after the initial save, won't accept a CD. The save process is active at shutdown only.
s243a wrote:You must keep your puppies quite small if a multi-session cd is sufficient storage for you!
Yes, and that is a great concern with some of the latest Pupys, they are too big! I have some old PCs with max 512 Mb RAM, and the one used for testing (368Mb) refused to boot with the large Puppys, it simply stopped during the loading process. If they boot, I can always make them run, with a little help fiom a big swap-partition. :D The problem is that the load process only register a swap partition, it doesn't use it during loading.
I usually save my files in work to the HDD or to a memory stick. I try to remaster the Puppy to shrink it as much as possible, and I do most of the prefs settings before I make an .iso. The later saves are mainly used for setup that I forgot to include in the .iso, or additional programs. I use CD, because most of my PCs can read a CD, but not all can read a DVD. Besides, they're cheap! :lol:

We have had discussions earlier on which ext fs to use, for both HDDs and flash memory. As mikeslr, I prefer to use ext2 because it can be read by all 'nixes, and I see no reason to waste storage space for a journal.

For the first time in my life, I have a 'modern' PC with plenty RAM and sufficient storage space. But even after clearing out some old computerware, I have some old PCs with specific demands. And just like oui, I have one PC stuffed full of Debian, but I only use it for demanding operations.

Se earlier post:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/posting.ph ... SC#1010148
I tried to load both the .pet and .sfs with nvidia drivers to the BionicBeaver, and at the end they just crashed. The .sfs want you to accept a new xorg.conf, and both versions ask you to reboot to activate the driver. That is a bit difficult when you run the driver from an .sfs, and especially with a live Puppy! :lol:
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

ITSMERSH

#34 Post by ITSMERSH »

I have some old PCs with max 512 Mb RAM, and the one used for testing (368Mb) refused to boot with the large Puppys, it simply stopped during the loading process.
Try booting with pfix=nocopy.

tallboy

#35 Post by tallboy »

Thank you, I'll try that.

musher0

#36 Post by musher0 »

tallboy wrote:musher0, I was wrong! Your Xenialpup does save to a multisession CD-R. But, as with BionicBeaver, the Save button which appears on the desktop after the initial save, won't accept a CD. The save process is active at shutdown only.
(...)
Hi tallboy.

Phew! Thanks again for this second report.

Would you have noticed if that is to CD-R only? Or if CD+R, CD-RW.
also work?

I must confess I only use DVD-RW's myself anymore (when I use them).
They're cheaper now than CD's, and have always been faster.

Probably an experienced Puppyist such as you has already done this,
but as a reminder: is the CD/DVD burner itself clean of dust?

And how old is the burner? If older than three years and you've used it
a lot, may I suggest you replace with a new one?

Sometimes we idealists tend to forget the basic material fact that
hardware does wear down with use...

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

tallboy

#37 Post by tallboy »

I'll do some deep cleaning and report back to you, musher0. But I refuse to wear an apron! :x

BTW, the sound in your Xenial's VLC is crap, I installed Audacious and got an immediate improvement. The level of sound is also much lower than in my older PCs. I have not installed any nvidia driver yet, I don't know if that will affect sound also.

musher0

#38 Post by musher0 »

Hi tallboy.

For music I switched to Aqualung with LADSPA, and for movies, mpv, in my
unpublished modular version with echinus as WM.

One could also resort to an ffplay wrapper to play any audio or visual
resource -- and reduce the overall footprint of the xenialPup. (I'm toying
with the idea. Ffplay does not know what to do with movie DVD's, however
-- or I missed something!)

About using an nvidia driver, it should not make any difference as to sound.
Sound goes through the ALSA libs or similar; not through the video card
driver.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

nic007

#39 Post by nic007 »

tallboy wrote:I'll do some deep cleaning and report back to you, musher0. But I refuse to wear an apron! :x

BTW, the sound in your Xenial's VLC is crap, I installed Audacious and got an immediate improvement. The level of sound is also much lower than in my older PCs. I have not installed any nvidia driver yet, I don't know if that will affect sound also.
Don't know about Xenial but the sound quality of my VLC running with Tahr605 is excellent. Are you utilizing VLC's excellent effects ie. pre-amp and equalizer sufficiently? Also - your ALSA sound level should be set to the maximum level with the newer puppys.

tallboy

#40 Post by tallboy »

Thank you, nic007. I'll play around with the different settings, it takes a little time to get to know a new Puppy.