PGP. How many of the security minded folk actually use it?

For discussions about security.
purple379

#1 Post by purple379 »

I do not know anyone who is willing to set up PGP. Then again, nearly all my email now is from companies wanting to sell me something, or money related. Like receipts of things I bought.

catsezmoo

#2 Post by catsezmoo »

The all-too-obvious answer is: "both of them"

purple379

I meant for most of those who post in the security section

#3 Post by purple379 »

Seems to be my experience that many who talk about "end to end encryption" then do not practice it. Often because those they communicate with those who do not.

Such as, I see human right organizations, like Amnesty International, who do not offer a Public PGP key. Perhaps a warning that they believe their project is more about being publicity hounds than actually communication with those who might have had their rights violated.

While we are thinking of things like that; "How are China Cyber dissidents caught, and what exactly are they trying to let others in the world know, that qualifies them for Chinese Jail for years? I have never heard those parts of the story.
Last edited by purple379 on Fri 01 Mar 2019, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

soniabu

#4 Post by soniabu »

is due to the lack of computer culture combined with sloppiness in their own affairs.
The fact that almost everyone uses the PC (in the West and also in the East) does not mean that they know neither the tool nor the functionalities nor the risks. Perhaps the next generation will be at the forefront of technology, but it is not certain that it will be culturally advanced.
I, for example, lost days to convince a friend of mine that sending and receiving e-mails without encryption is like sending a postcard around the world. Yet it's hard for me to counter when she replies that even if she encrypts her emails, she doesn't know who to send them to so hidden (excluding Sonia), because all her knowledge doesn't use keys or encryption. It's like WApp. There is a great Signal but everybody keeps on using what we all use.

tallboy

#5 Post by tallboy »

Subject description: Or even use email any more for person to person communication.

I use it every day! But then, I have always been conscious that somone else may read it, and with that in mind at all times, I have tried to moderate both my language and the contents.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

rockedge

#6 Post by rockedge »

I've been using PGP since 1993-94....but not many used it then or since..so I send myself encrypted emails once in awhile to practice

purple379

Using PGP seamlessly in Email

#7 Post by purple379 »

I believe that one can do this by using Thunderbird, where one can download keys to those we habitually email, who also use PGP.

Oops. Problem with Thunderbird is that it likes to save an un-encrypted copy of the text of my email in a draft folder on a server somewhere away from my computer. I guess not. That is the recommendation that one encrypt email text before putting the resulting encrypted message into Thunderbird for sending. Not sure if Thunderbird does something similar to making the text of an email I received, and then unencrypted, available to others.

There are some email handlers which do encryption within themselves, like Proton Mail to other Proton mail accounts. Hmm. How much do I want to put the burden of my end to end encryption on Proton Mail personnel.

No one has pointed out the wisdom of not putting one's email account name on a forum. As doing so invites ----...

Burn_IT

#8 Post by Burn_IT »

Not everybody is quite so paranoid!!
I believe that most email clients use encrypted communication anyway.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett