I've gslapt dpkg onto my Fatdog 7.21

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
PappyPuppy

I've gslapt dpkg onto my Fatdog 7.21

#1 Post by PappyPuppy »

Am I missing something with getting dpkg to work? I noticed on a reboot that Busybox is now running - I guess this has to be running?

Anyway, I typed dpkg --configure -a to configure dpkg. I then tried the command dpkg -i --root=/aufs/devsave somepkg.deb

But dpkg errored with:

dpkg: error: uanble to access dpkg status: no such file or directory.

Now, the files and directories are all there. Of course status is empty as I have not yet installed anything, and likewise available. Should I just trick dpkg by putting it into available and/or status to sort of get the cow moving? Just curious - I don't know much about dpkg. I would like to use it so I don't have to always dig into the control file to see if there's a script. I don't mind this, but I just thought I'd give dpkg a test drive, that's all.

Any help appreciated.

PappyPuppy

Ok, so I'm now running dpkg under busybox

#2 Post by PappyPuppy »

It does NOT have a --root option apparently, yet the version of dpkg that's in slapt DOES.

This is confusing - do I have two versions of dpkg? One that is a function in Busybox and the other straight away the usual but I have to do something to get it to work?

Perhaps the problem that I have is I didn't want to install to the directory built into the packages - I wanted to prepend, but since this is taking a long time, I'll simply install the 25 packages manually this time, using ar, and tar, and if I ever learn how to use it, use dpkg later. :D
Last edited by PappyPuppy on Fri 09 Nov 2018, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#3 Post by belham2 »

Are you an idiot?

You've been asked repeatedly to post in the correct section about the OS you are inquiring about. And to STOP posting (and polluting up) this section and the main Puppy OS section?

IS IT YOUR DESIRE TO BE PERMANENTLY BANNED?

Start following directions that you've already been told: it is not rocket-science, and judging by all your other posts that our Moderator Flash deleted out of this section (to clean it up), English is your first language.

Here is the Fatdog thread, for ALL Fatdog questions:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112372

PappyPuppy

Who deleted the thread?

#4 Post by PappyPuppy »

belham2 wrote:Are you an idiot?

You've been asked repeatedly to post in the correct section about the OS you are inquiring about. And to STOP posting (and polluting up) this section and the main Puppy OS section?

IS IT YOUR DESIRE TO BE PERMANENTLY BANNED?

Start following directions that you've already been told: it is not rocket-science, and judging by all your other posts that our Moderator Flash deleted out of this section (to clean it up), English is your first language.

Here is the Fatdog thread, for ALL Fatdog questions:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112372
I POSTED TO THE CORRECT THREAD - where is it?

fredx181

#5 Post by fredx181 »

-- deleted (was not constructive addition) --

mikeslr

How to post

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Hi PappyPuppy,

I know this is confusing. Stumbled over it a couple of times when I started; and occasionally make a mistake if I'm not paying attention.

When posting there are two boxes you can choose: One says New Topic, the Other says Reply. New Topic is just that -- your post will START a New Topic IN THE SECTION YOUR BROWSER IS OPEN TO, for example this Section "Puppy Derivatives". It should only be used when your intention is to start an ENTIRELY new topic.

The caption "Reply" is misleading -- suggesting you intend to Reply to someone else's post. But what it actually does is place your post --whether a reply or a New Question-- at the End of the already existing Thread to which your browser is opened. In other words, if you want to post to the FatDog64-721 thread, you have to open your browser to that thread --it starts here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 928#977928, but any page on that thread would do-- and click Reply.

Don't worry about which page on the desired thread you post from. Your new post will always become the then last post on that thread. And don't worry about it getting lost in the maze. The Forum Index "Last Post" Column will immediately note a new Post to a Section; and clicking a Section in the Left-Most Column --such as Projects-- shows the posts to that Section in the Right-Most Column in REVERSE chronological order -- that is, the most recent at the top [albeit, below "Stickies".

Stickies are threads which contain advice or instructions of sufficient general long-term importance that the Forum Moderators have decided should be easily found if your looking for such advice, or consider reading even if they are not one's immediate concern.

Devs and fans of a particular Puppy or Application look to that Puppy or Application's thread to see what's new, or to provide assistance. By keeping posts organized, users new-to-that-Puppy-or-Application can often find answers to questions they have without having to post and wait for a response.

Last piece of advice: Try to pack as many "key words" as you can into the Title of your post. Your Title in this case was pretty good, including the Key words gslapt, dpkg and Fatdog 7.21 [albeit, the latter should have been 721]. Others seeking information/having problems may be able to find relevant post by plugging such keywords into search engines such as https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643 ... #gsc.tab=0 or the one provided at the top of every webpage of the Forum. I've actually been able to find something I knew I wrote but now long buried by using that technique.

PappyPuppy

Re: How to post

#7 Post by PappyPuppy »

mikeslr wrote:Hi PappyPuppy,

I know this is confusing. Stumbled over it a couple of times when I started; and occasionally make a mistake if I'm not paying attention.

When posting there are two boxes you can choose: One says New Topic, the Other says Reply. New Topic is just that -- your post will START a New Topic IN THE SECTION YOUR BROWSER IS OPEN TO, for example this Section "Puppy Derivatives". It should only be used when your intention is to start an ENTIRELY new topic.

The caption "Reply" is misleading -- suggesting you intend to Reply to someone else's post. But what it actually does is place your post --whether a reply or a New Question-- at the End of the already existing Thread to which your browser is opened. In other words, if you want to post to the FatDog64-721 thread, you have to open your browser to that thread --it starts here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 928#977928, but any page on that thread would do-- and click Reply.

Don't worry about which page on the desired thread you post from. Your new post will always become the then last post on that thread. And don't worry about it getting lost in the maze. The Forum Index "Last Post" Column will immediately note a new Post to a Section; and clicking a Section in the Left-Most Column --such as Projects-- shows the posts to that Section in the Right-Most Column in REVERSE chronological order -- that is, the most recent at the top [albeit, below "Stickies".

Stickies are threads which contain advice or instructions of sufficient general long-term importance that the Forum Moderators have decided should be easily found if your looking for such advice, or consider reading even if they are not one's immediate concern.

Devs and fans of a particular Puppy or Application look to that Puppy or Application's thread to see what's new, or to provide assistance. By keeping posts organized, users new-to-that-Puppy-or-Application can often find answers to questions they have without having to post and wait for a response.

Last piece of advice: Try to pack as many "key words" as you can into the Title of your post. Your Title in this case was pretty good, including the Key words gslapt, dpkg and Fatdog 7.21 [albeit, the latter should have been 721]. Others seeking information/having problems may be able to find relevant post by plugging such keywords into search engines such as https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643 ... #gsc.tab=0 or the one provided at the top of every webpage of the Forum. I've actually been able to find something I knew I wrote but now long buried by using that technique.
I just tested out dpkg on another old (half-broken) machine I have (Fatdog 721), and it works great. On that machine, I don't need to even test out the --root flag. Just dpkg --configure -a, and then I started filling up the status file with packages, and it even tells me what's wrong if I don't have the right dependencies - and even, how to modify my LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or sometimes, I have to create a folder due to the whole lib, lib64, x86_64-linux-gnu bit. Just need those lib-paths to the x dirs. Then things can go better. So I just need to do some boot-strapping of older libs as I don't really want a complete old installation. But if I have to go that route, I'm ready. But dpkg is doing it's job well and it has improved my efficiency.

I will try to add some better keywords and tags on my posts - I would think an OS as fun as Fatdog would have it's own sub-forum, not just a thread. The reason I suggest this is that it's quite difficult to learn how it all works. It's easy when the machine runs well, and it's easy once we have experience.