Xenialpup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#61 Post by Nanosecond »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ Salty:-
a_salty_dogg wrote:Regards & admiration, dogg.
Huh?? Admiration for.....what? Image

Don't be daft, man. Nowt to admire here (definitely not for my poor efforts).....unless it's the browser package you're 'admiring'. And that's something of a 'team effort' by several individuals over the last couple of years.....many of whom are way more knowledgeable than I will ever be. I will only take credit for putting it together; I won't take credit for all the contributions that have gone into it.....but then that's where community forums like this come into their own. We all help each other out; pool ideas; share advice, tips & tricks; some of us produce packages for everybody else's benefit (some of which work better than others, I'll be honest. I've produced my fair share of 'lemons'!)

But it's all a rather enjoyable 'learning curve', and (God willing) we learn from our mistakes, and hone our skills with the passage of time.....

---------------------------------------------------

As for the save-file being on sda1.....I'm sure that's a 'typo'. Look at Ralph's screenshot, a few posts back; unless my peepers are deceiving me (quite possible; I'm as blind as a bat without the 'double-glazing' :lol: ), it does show the save-file being referred to as on sdb1.

Yes?

Mike. :wink:
Not sure what this Error is all about? Just happened when I Shutdown for the 2nd time. Hope its clear enough!?
:shock:
Attachments
error on shutdown2.jpg
(9.86 KiB) Downloaded 424 times

bigpup

#62 Post by bigpup »

Do not worry about it unless it keeps giving you this error.

Make sure the next time you boot Xenialpup64 7.5 that the computer has been started from a completely shutdown power off condition.
Complete power off makes sure the computers memory has been completely cleared.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#63 Post by Nanosecond »

bigpup wrote:Do not worry about it unless it keeps giving you this error.

Make sure the next time you boot Xenialpup64 7.5 that the computer has been started from a completely shutdown power off condition.
Many Thanks!
Can't really remember exactly what state it was in when this happened?
But, I will keep my eye on it do what you suggested.
Have a great day ahead...
Best, Raphael
:wink:

Nanosecond

Re: Xenialpup

#64 Post by Nanosecond »

Nanosecond wrote:
bigpup wrote:Do not worry about it unless it keeps giving you this error.

Many Thanks!
Can't really remember exactly what state it was in when this happened?
But, I will keep my eye on it do what you suggested.
Have a great day ahead...
Best, Raphael
Hallo!
Xenialpup64 7.5 has been running pretty nicely..still lots to learn about it and Chrome 70. Not sure where to go from here as far as Format and have "two pups are better than one?"
Thought this was worth mentioning re: Tahrpup which was acting strange. I have been monitoring its behaviour for a couple of weeks now. And since I switched USB ports on that laptop it has failed to malfunction to date. What happened to the original USB port it was in and can it be fixed so to speak?
What do I know!?
Thank You!
Best, Raphael

Mike Walsh

#65 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Ralph.

Glad to hear you're enjoying Xenialpup and the up-to-date Chrome.

With regard to your USB ports, well...Just as a USB stick can go 'bad', so can the ports they plug into.....especially when your hardware's getting up to around the 12-15 yr-old mark..!

After all those years, contacts get worn/dirty, the spring contacts that make contact with the contacts on the USB 'plug' can get so that they no longer make such good contact as they once did.....stuff like that. Nothing lasts forever. My old Dell laptop is approaching 16 yrs old now.....one of the very first to use the now universal USB 2.0 ports; at the time it was built (2002), USB 2.0 had only just been released to market.

One particular port has reached the point where it refuses to work with anything at all. Since that leaves just two (and one is permanently occupied by my external USB hard drive), I run everything else (mouse, webcam, USB sound card, external wireless keyboard) plugged into a 7-port USB hub with its own power supply, connected to the remaining USB port.

Which works really well, actually.

If Tahr is behaving itself in the 'new' port, leave it where it is. The one you were previously using has obviously got 'issues'.

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#66 Post by Nanosecond »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hi, Ralph.

Glad to hear you're enjoying Xenialpup and the up-to-date Chrome.

With regard to your USB ports, well...Just as a USB stick can go 'bad', so can the ports they plug into.....especially when your hardware's getting up to around the 12-15 yr-old mark..!

After all those years, contacts get worn/dirty, the spring contacts that make contact with the contacts on the USB 'plug' can get so that they no longer make such good contact as they once did.....stuff like that. Nothing lasts forever. My old Dell laptop is approaching 16 yrs old now.....one of the very first to use the now universal USB 2.0 ports; at the time it was built (2002), USB 2.0 had only just been released to market.

One particular port has reached the point where it refuses to work with anything at all. Since that leaves just two (and one is permanently occupied by my external USB hard drive), I run everything else (mouse, webcam, USB sound card, external wireless keyboard) plugged into a 7-port USB hub with its own power supply, connected to the remaining USB port.

Which works really well, actually.

If Tahr is behaving itself in the 'new' port, leave it where it is. The one you were previously using has obviously got 'issues'.

Thank You!!!
So, it sounds like investing in a 7 port USB Hub would be a good idea..
What brand or model might you suggest and the price?

Also, what about this here from an prior posting?
Since he's running Xenial64 why not to explain how to install Puppy Linux
manually from CD into a directory on that USB flash drive, using GParted to
format the USB flash drive to ext3 and to use a save folder instead of a save file?
It isn't that hard -even for a beginner- to follow such advise just one times and being able to install any Puppy wanted afterwards...

Your thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated.
Hope ALL is well.
Sincerely, Raphael

Mike Walsh

#67 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Ralph:-

Doesn't have to be 7 ports; it could be 3, 4 5 or even 6. The important thing is that it has its own power supply.

A regular, USB 2.0 port can supply a maximum of 500 mW of power. If you use an 'un-powered' hub, that 500 mW is divided between the number of ports you have, with the result that you can't really use all the ports without running into power supply issues.

A 'self-powered' hub is usually built in such a way that each and every port has the full 500 mW available to it. Just Google 'self-powered USB hubs' and have a look at what comes up.

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#68 Post by Nanosecond »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ Ralph:-

Doesn't have to be 7 ports; it could be 3, 4 5 or even 6. The important thing is that it has its own power supply.

A regular, USB 2.0 port can supply a maximum of 500 mW of power. If you use an 'un-powered' hub, that 500 mW is divided between the number of ports you have, with the result that you can't really use all the ports without running into power supply issues.

A 'self-powered' hub is usually built in such a way that each and every port has the full 500 mW available to it. Just Google 'self-powered USB hubs' and have a look at what comes up.

Oh!Thank YOU!
What kind of a price range are we looking at? I see some as cheap as 10$..and the Specs are not made clear per port that I could tell.
Macally and D-Link have some. Do you have a brand or model you can suggest of 3 to lets say 7 ports?
Best, Ralph

a_salty_dogg

#69 Post by a_salty_dogg »

I've been using a Belkin 4 port powered USB hub on and off for about a decade. Still going strong which is remarkable for a computer peripheral after such a long period of time, especially when half the time it's been lying among a tangle of cables and thus open to being stepped on /tripped over /chewed by the dog! :oops:

A brief search shows they're currently offering this 7 port one on Amazon for $19.99...
https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-7-Port-Pl ... ed+usb+hub

... but have a look around your preferred search engine, see if there's anything on special offer. However would definitely recommend buying a "name" brand rather than a generic one, based on my experience.

The important thing, as Mike says, is to make sure you choose one with an external power supply,

Happy hunting!

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#70 Post by Nanosecond »

a_salty_dogg wrote:I've been using a Belkin 4 port powered USB hub on and off for about a decade. Still going strong which is remarkable for a computer peripheral after such a long period of time, especially when half the time it's been lying among a tangle of cables and thus open to being stepped on /tripped over /chewed by the dog! :oops:

A brief search shows they're currently offering this 7 port one on Amazon for $19.99...
https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-7-Port-Pl ... ed+usb+hub

... but have a look around your preferred search engine, see if there's anything on special offer. However would definitely recommend buying a "name" brand rather than a generic one, based on my experience.

The important thing, as Mike says, is to make sure you choose one with an external power supply,

Happy hunting!
Thank You for chiming in! Belkin has a good rep..is the dog okay? (lol)
I'll check that one out for sure.
Cheers, Ralph

a_salty_dogg

#71 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Oh, wait a moment!

from a customer review...
Selected this particular hub based on the picture, which clearly shows an external power jack. The hub we received does not support external power source and would not work for our intended application.
Looks like I may have been misleading you there, or rather, Mr Belkin may have been misleading me!
Some say it's powered, some not, same in the Q&A answers; product title certainly implies it is!

Caveat emptor!

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#72 Post by Nanosecond »

a_salty_dogg wrote:Oh, wait a moment!

from a customer review...
Selected this particular hub based on the picture, which clearly shows an external power jack. The hub we received does not support external power source and would not work for our intended application.
Looks like I may have been misleading you there, or rather, Mr Belkin may have been misleading me!
Some say it's powered, some not, same in the Q&A answers; product title certainly implies it is!

Caveat emptor!
Thank You!
how about this?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/D-Link-DSB-H7- ... :rk:4:pf:0

Or
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... alParent=1
One other thing are the laptop and desktop models interchangeable?

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-7-Port-Pl ... B00R1UWJF6

Some specify 2.0 and 3.0 and they also mention Speed as being a factor. Should you Opt for 3.0 seeing it has better capabilities than 2.0?
Please advise if possible?

a_salty_dogg

#73 Post by a_salty_dogg »

I'm not familiar with D-Link; maybe someone else knows their reputation?

The second one at Newegg is definitely externally powered because it specifies "power adapter included" and from reading the reviews; also appears to have a warning l.e.d. on the top so you know when it's switched on, which is nice.

The first at Ebay I've no idea, sorry, can't tell from the description or pic.

As regards USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0, it all depends on your machine. Don't think you gain any extra advantage in data transfer speeds from running USB 3.0 flash drives or hubs if the ports on your comp are only rated USB 2.0.

Mike Walsh

#74 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ salty:-
a_salty_dogg wrote:As regards USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0, it all depends on your machine. Don't think you gain any extra advantage in data transfer speeds from running USB 3.0 flash drives or hubs if the ports on your comp are only rated USB 2.0.
In theory, no. In practice, however....

USB flash drives never get anywhere near the 480 MBps max transfer rate that's supposed to be possible with USB 2.0.Like wise, USB 3.0 drives never even remotely approach the theoretical 5 GBps data transfer rate that's supposed to be possible for them.

I have found, from experience, that using a USB 3.0 drive plugged into a USB 2.0 port definitely seems to yield higher transfer rates. My theory for this is quite simple:-

Because the controller chip on the USB 3.0 drive is capable of far higher throughput than the USB 2.0 port is rated for, it seems to 'nudge' the data transfer rates a lot closer to the 480 MBps max that the 2.0 port is capable of. So much so, in fact, that for quite some time I was using a pair of Sandisk Ultra Fit 'nano-sized' 128 GB USB 3.0 thumb-drives as 'external' storage' on the old Dell lappie...

Does that make any sense? It's the only explanation I can come up with that seems to fit the facts!

bigpup

#75 Post by bigpup »

Agree a USB hub is a good thing.

However, do not overlook something wrong with the bad USB port that could easily be fixed.

Take a good look at the inside of the USB port.
All connections look clean, not bent, and all there.
I have pulled some strange stuff out of a USB port not working.
If it is possible for something to get into the port, something will.
The smallest piece of something can make the contacts not connect.
Wet a cotton swab with isopropyl alcohol and insert it into a USB port to clean out stubborn dust and sticky messes. Wipe all around the inside of the port, including on the contacts
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)