Xenialpup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#31 Post by Nanosecond »

bigpup wrote:That is telling you the free space in the save file is getting too low.
menu>Utility>Resize Personal Storage file
Use this program to make the save file bigger.

Your USB flash drive is probably formatted fat 32.
The max size you can make the save file is going to be 4GB.
That is fat 32 max file size limit.

You can put stuff outside of the save by placing them in /mnt/home
Image files, document files, videos, stuff you download from internet, etc........
/mnt/home is the free space area of the USB drive outside of the Xenialpup install.

Check your Internet browser settings for history and cache.
If it is saving everything you do, it will fill up the save over time.
Thank You!
Problem! Very frustrated...
:?
I'm not sure if this happened before or after re-sizing the Personal Storage file from 512 to 1024? But I cannot get online using Google Chrome web Browser. Last night it worked beautifully. I used Frisbee to set it up and it worked fine.
From the Menu>Internet>Google Chrome web Browser>I tick it and nothing happens. If I tick Palemoon it opens right up. If I open Frisbee 1.4.6 configuration Networks. It shows Connected to FALZARANO-5 and the IP Address.
I am baffled!
PLEASE HELP!
Sincerely, Raphael
:shock:
Perhaps these screenshots will help taken with a webcam Logitech C-910 via my desktop computer.

Also, because my desktop was having troubles yesterday. Instead of running the standard Troubleshoot problems in Windows. I used the Solutions (1) one and (2) two from this link https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/wi ... 10-solved/ for Windows 7. That is the only OS I use in Windows. I do not use 10.

:arrow: Please note: When I used Tahrpup I never had to do any of this stuff you mentioned and maybe I should of?! But it worked fine for a year
You can put stuff outside of the save by placing them in /mnt/home
Image files, document files, videos, stuff you download from internet, etc........
/mnt/home is the free space area of the USB drive outside of the Xenialpup install
[/b]
:arrow: If i use the Tahrpup USB on either laptop it works fine and I can get online. The sdb1 icon is colored Blue and is not grayed out.
Attachments
xenial network.jpg
(51.48 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
xenial.jpg
(32.61 KiB) Downloaded 294 times

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#32 Post by Nanosecond »

Not sure if this may be part of the problem?
The laptop I wanted to Run Xenialpup which I also ran Tahrpup was a Windows 7 64 bit system.
The other laptop is a 32 Bit Windows 7 system.
I used the 32 Bit laptop and the USB to get Xenial up and running with the USB stick. And it did run the first couple times I tried to use it on the 32 bit laptop and the 64 Bit lappy.
The Xenialpup USB will NOT run on either laptop now..meaning getting on the Internet using Google Chrome my preferred browser for quite sometime.
Palemoon will allow me to get online if I want to type in everything which I don't.
Wondering if I should wipe the USB and start over at this point?!? And get *step by step* instructions.
I'm waiting for advice before I do anything else cause apparently somehow I messed up this install? :cry:
Thank You for your precious time and patience.
Sincerely, Raphael
UPDATED Just Now!
I think I got this working as it as it is Saving session to /xenialpup64pup save. But it still will not access Google Chrome web browser from the Menu>Internet>Google Chrome web browser. I tick it and it stops dead the USB light stays on and no flicker.
Weird! I had Google up and running and synced it apparently saved the session and shut down by itself. When I rebooted it would not access Google chrome from the Menu as stated above.
Baffled!!! completely and i bet its something foolish.
Be back in awhile...
Another Plea for help for a dummie :-(
Best, Raphael
The Xenialpup64save-xenialpup64save_ralph is the one I created I was online using Google Chrome browser..it saved it and shut down on it's own. When I turned the laptop back on I could not get online from Menu>Internet>google chrome web browser.
Attachments
xenial mnt home.jpg
(51.9 KiB) Downloaded 258 times

bigpup

#33 Post by bigpup »

In that image of what is on the USB.
The name of the save looks a little strange.
So, the save could be bad.
Usually the name would be

Code: Select all

xenialpup64save-something
The -something is what you add to the name when you made it. Could be anything you want.

If you tried to make two different saves.
One for each computer.
All I see in that image is one save.

Try this.

In Puppy Package Manager (PPM)
Click on Uninstall.
Select the listed Google Chrome you installed.
Delete it.
Close PPM after it does the delete.

Click on the desktop save icon so this deletion is recorded in the save.

Reinstall Google Chrome using Quickpet.

Click on the desktop save icon so this is recorded in the save.

Try running Chrome.
Any help?
Last edited by bigpup on Sun 04 Nov 2018, 20:30, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#34 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Ralph:-

The fact that you used your '32-bit' laptop to get a 64-bit Puppy up-and-running would suggest that it is in fact a 64-bit machine. You can't run a 64-bit OS on a 32-bit machine; the CPU simply doesn't possess the necessary additional registers and instructions to be capable of doing so.

It's always been common for 32-bit Windows to be installed to 64-bit capable hardware, even though OEMs could easily install the 64-bit version. Is one cheaper than the other? I've no idea, 'cos I haven't used it for years.....and certainly never purchased a retail copy.

I'll bet pennies to peanuts that the copy of Chrome you installed from the PPM is seriously out of date, anyway.....though I rather doubt re-installing is going to help, somehow. It's more likely you've somehow messed up your save-file/folder; personally, I would have made that 1024 MB considerably larger, as soon as possible. There's all sorts of ways to run large, complex pieces of software, while at the same time keeping your save-file really tiny.....but this isn't what you want. What you want is an easy to run OS, that is reliable and just 'works'.

My guess is that you've made no attempt to limit your browser cache, and, during the course of the 'save' at shutdown, the save-file has run out of space. In so doing, anything else your Puppy is trying to save from the session gets cut off dead.....more than likely in the middle of some important config file or another.

That's my 'two-penn'orth', FWIW.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 04 Nov 2018, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#35 Post by Nanosecond »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ Ralph:-

The fact that you used your '32-bit' laptop to get a 64-bit Puppy up-and-running would suggest that is in fact a 64-bit machine. You can't run a 64-bit OS on a 32-bit machine; the CPU simply doesn't possess the necessary additional registers and instructions to be capable of doing so.

It's always been common for 32-bit Windows to be installed to 64-bit capable hardware, even though OEMs could easily install the 64-bit version. Is one cheaper than the other? I've no idea, 'cos I haven't used it for years.....and certainly never purchased a retail copy.

I'll bet pennies to peanuts that the copy of Chrome you installed from the PPM is seriously out of date, anyway.....

Mike! There is no version of Chrome listed in PPM. I used quickpet and it offers two versions there. I'm not sure which one I am supposed to use?
The download packages offered are 64bit .deb (For Debian/Unbuntu) or 64bit .rpm (For Fedora/openSUSE) I've been using the first one.
Thanks many times over.
Raphael
:roll:

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#36 Post by Nanosecond »

bigpup wrote:Try this.

In Puppy Package Manager (PPM)
Click on Uninstall.
Select the listed Google Chrome you installed.
Delete it.
Close PPM after it does the delete.

Click on the desktop save icon so this deletion is recorded in the save.

Reinstall Google Chrome using Quickpet.

Click on the desktop save icon so this is recorded in the save.

Try running Chrome.
Any help?
First I am truly sorry for the intrusion and your exactly right..anxious and impatient. But I will abide by the rules.
Here is what I see in the PPM (see attachment) Do I delete them all and follow your steps? When I tick quickpet it will offer two choices of Chrome>64bit .deb (For Debian/Unbuntu) or 64bit .rpm (For Fedora/openSUSE) I've been using the first one.
Thank YOU!
Attachments
ppm uninstall window.jpg
add this to the rockpile
(69.99 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
PPM v2.jpg
(83.24 KiB) Downloaded 252 times

Mike Walsh

#37 Post by Mike Walsh »

No, what you're looking at there is the list of packages available to install from the repositories. You have to click the 'Uninstall' button. Another window will open, showing packages that you yourself have installed.

Scroll through that list, locate Google-Chrome, highlight it, then click 'Remove' at the bottom of that window.

That's how you uninstall stuff with the PPM... It's not exactly 'rocket-science', y'know!

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 04 Nov 2018, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#38 Post by Nanosecond »

Mike Walsh wrote:No, what you're looking at there is the list of packages available to install from the repositories. You have to click the 'Uninstall' button. Another window will open, showing packages that you yourself have installed.

Scroll through that list, locate Google-Chrome, highlight it, then click 'Remove' at the bottom of that window.

That's how you uninstall stuff with the PPM... It's not 'rocket-science', y'know!

Thank you!
Done.
which one do I choose? When I tick quickpet it will offer two choices of Chrome>64bit .deb (For Debian/Unbuntu) or 64bit .rpm (For Fedora/openSUSE) I've been using the first one.
I have been doing this entire process on the 32 Bit Windows 7 laptop cause its newer and has more resources. As I recall at one point it didn't matter..That is when I made the 64 bit ISO>USB that I am using now.
Attachments
32 bit computer.jpg
the laptop I've been using for Xenial
(59.33 KiB) Downloaded 223 times

Mike Walsh

#39 Post by Mike Walsh »

I have a better idea; I build Puppy-specific packages of Chrome for the community. How would you like to run Chrome 70, properly set up to run on Puppy, that works with Puppy the correct way? Although many .deb packages will work happily with Puppy, Chrome has a nasty habit of changing permissions, and messing things up... It doesn't work with Puppy's '/root' model any longer, so I've had to re-build it to suit.

I think we've got to do something about the size of your save-file, though. How big is it? Right-click on your save-file, select 'Properties', and tell me exactly what it says, please.

If you're using a 16 GB USB stick, you'll have plenty of room for what I have in mind.....because I'm trying to do this in the easiest possible way for you.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 04 Nov 2018, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#40 Post by Nanosecond »

Mike Walsh wrote:I have a better idea. How would you like to run Chrome 70, properly set up to run on Puppy, that works with Puppy the correct way? Deb packages interfere with Puppy, and mess things up...

I think we've got to do something about the size of your save-file, though. How big is it? Right-click on your save-file, select 'Properties', and tell me exactly what it says, please.

If you're using a 16 GB USB stick, you'll have plenty of room for what I have in mind.....because I'm trying to do this in the easiest possible way for you.

Thank You!
it looks to be 1.0 GiB personal and Free space 701 MiB. If I right click the Save file in the taskbar it vanishes..the results above are by hovering the pointer over the Save file
Chrome 70 would be great...Just want it to work properly and get out of your hair.
:wink:

Personal File 1024Mb/702 Mb free
Partition sdb1 14783/ 11899 Mb free
Attachments
64 bit computer.jpg
(54.85 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
Last edited by Nanosecond on Sun 04 Nov 2018, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#41 Post by Mike Walsh »

Right. I'm in Xenial64 myself now, so I want you to follow what I say to the letter.

Can you right-click on the save-file icon in the taskbar, and select 'Resize personal storage file'.....or won't the icon let you? You said something about it disappearing.....?

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#42 Post by Nanosecond »

Mike Walsh wrote:Right. I'm in Xenial64 myself now, so I want you to follow what I say to the letter.

Can you right-click on the save-file icon in the taskbar, and select 'Resize personal storage file'.....or won't the icon let you? You said something about it disappearing.....?

If I right click the PSF in the taskbar it disappears..see Screenshot
Attachments
PSF.jpg
(85.02 KiB) Downloaded 202 times

Mike Walsh

#43 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mm. I don't like the look of that.

It seems as though when you created the save-file, you simply went with the default settings.....and created an ext2 save-file (that's the .2fs at the end). That's okay (ish), but an ext 2 save-file has a nasty habit of corrupting very easily....and because ext2 doesn't use a 'journal' (like ext3/4 do), you cannot recover it in the event of 'melt-down'.

For this to work correctly (and so that Xenial will keep working as long as possible), you really ought to re-create a new save-file.....and this time, when it asks you what format to use, choose the 'ext3' one. You do need to look at what the windows are asking you to do, Ralph; you must break the Windows habit of simply clicking 'OK', 'OK', 'OK' to everything. The options are there for a reason.....they're not just there for window-dressing..!!!

This will mean deleting your existing save-file, re-booting Xenialpup in 'factory condition' (as it were), and shutting down straight away/creating a new save-file. Are you OK with doing that? You may as well do this first as last, because otherwise you'll end up doing this anyway sooner or later.....

mikeslr

#44 Post by mikeslr »

deleted, already covered.

Mike Walsh

#45 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Mike:-

Reading through the other thread, about the Personal Storage File, I notice no-one actually mentioned to Ralph what format to use for it. Don't forget, this is somebody used to the Windoze way of doing things, where 99% of folks simply click, click, click the default 'OK' buttons just to get through things as quickly as possible.

Which isn't always in the individual's best interests! :roll:

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#46 Post by Nanosecond »

Mike Walsh wrote:Mm. I don't like the look of that.

It seems as though when you created the save-file, you simply went with the default settings.....and created an ext2 save-file (that's the .2fs at the end). That's okay (ish), but an ext 2 save-file has a nasty habit of corrupting very easily....and because ext2 doesn't use a 'journal' (like ext3/4 do), you cannot recover it in the event of 'melt-down'.

For this to work correctly (and so that Xenial will keep working as long as possible), you really ought to re-create a new save-file.....and this time, when it asks you what format to use, choose the 'ext3' one. You do need to look at what the windows are asking you to do, Ralph; you must break the Windows habit of simply clicking 'OK', 'OK', 'OK' to everything. The options are there for a reason.....they're not just there for window-dressing..!!!

This will mean deleting your existing save-file, re-booting Xenialpup in 'factory condition' (as it were), and shutting down straight away/creating a new save-file. Are you OK with doing that? You may as well do this first as last, because otherwise you'll end up doing this anyway sooner or later.....

THANK YOU!!!
I need to make certain I deleted the Save file. Refresh me on where or how and to create another that asks for ext3/4.

File size to save at shut down? 512, 1GB, etc...I'm on that window now. Chose ext3 Next step would be to OK that and the amount of space you suggest I use?
Do you use a Firewall?
They make suggestions along the way like saying 512 is a good choice. I don't know if it is or not, but am tempted to choose defaults as you said.
Waiting patiently for the next steps.
Window says First shutdown: creating save-file
xenialpup64save_ralf.3fs in sdal1
Last edited by Nanosecond on Sun 04 Nov 2018, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#47 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Ralph:-

The size I would recommend (for now) is 4 GB (4096 MB).

Make certain it's ext3.

Why the question about the firewall? It's quite some time since I created a new save-file, so you might have to refesh my memory for me.....but AFAIK, the firewall is nothing to do with the save-file.

If you've done this correctly, you should have deleted the save-file, re-booted back into a 'factory-standard' Xenialpup, then shut down straight away.....at which point you should now be going through the steps for creating a save-file again. Correct?

Nanosecond

Xenialpup

#48 Post by Nanosecond »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ Ralph:-

The size I would recommend (for now) is 4 GB (4096 MB).

Make certain it's ext3.

Why the question about the firewall? It's quite some time since I created a new save-file, so you might have to refesh my memory for me.....but AFAIK, the firewall is nothing to do with the save-file.

If you've done this correctly, you should have deleted the save-file, re-booted back into a 'factory-standard' Xenialpup, then shut down straight away.....at which point you should now be going through the steps for creating a save-file again. Correct?

Thank YOU!
Window says First shutdown: creating save-file
xenialpup64save_ralf.3fs in sdal1, please wait awhile...
I assume it will Shut down when its complete? Or what should i expect or need to do at that point?

It is finished and Shut down.

Mike Walsh

#49 Post by Mike Walsh »

Okay.

Boot back into Xenial64. Just to confirm, hover your mouse over the save-file icon on the tray. What does it now say.....and is it still 'disappearing'?

ITSMERSH

#50 Post by ITSMERSH »

To write a 4GB save file to USB flash drive will take some time, some more time.

@all involved

Since he's running Xenial64 why not to explain how to install Puppy Linux
manually from CD into a directory on that USB flash drive, using GParted to
format the USB flash drive to ext3 and to use a save folder instead of a save file?

It isn't that hard -even for a beginner- to follow such advise just one times and being able to install any Puppy wanted afterwards...

Just out of curiosity...