How to get latest version of Google Chrome?

Using applications, configuring, problems
PappyPuppy

I wasn't complaining about your editing of links

#31 Post by PappyPuppy »

Mike Walsh wrote:
PappyPuppy wrote:I did not download the files you gave us links for in your Puppy forum post because it was dated in 2016. I thought it would be impossible for you to give me version 70 so long ago - when it didn't exist. To say I'm confused is an understatement. So I should just open the .sfs file and start copying stuff I assume? And I should put the Permission selectors in I assume?
2016 is when I started building Chrome packages for Puppy. And the links are in that first post for the simple reason that when folk click on that thread, the link is there, easy as all get-out to find, staring 'em in the face. Saves having to dig around in the thread to find individual links for each release.....

Doesn't that make more sense to you? 'Cos it certainly does for me!

(If you look at the bottom of that first post, you will in fact see that it's been edited a grand total of 52 times. Every time there's a new release, I update the 'Subject line' to reflect that fact.)

Mike. :wink:
One-stop shopping - no better way. I didn't realize that there was a REASON why I had needed to look at your .sfs file - that I was missing stuff. I thought I had had everything I had needed. But in the future - please make sure that libpcre is in there - or at least warn us that we have to dig a little! - :lol:

Mike Walsh

#32 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ PappyPuppy:-

No worries. Do I take it this means you're sorted, now? If so.....excellent.

(BTW, libpcre is not one that's needed by the majority of Pups. It's quite possible that it got thrown up due to your own 'lib-hunting' before I stepped in with the advice. Different versions of libs often have different dependencies of their own.)

PappyPuppy

Google Chrome 70 running smoothly

#33 Post by PappyPuppy »

No worries. Do I take it this means you're sorted, now? If so.....excellent.
Yes, sorted (library/xml insertion-style). As my way of saying thanks with yet another patronization, I invite you to drop in on my Uncle William's land up in Cumbria any time, although be careful, I don't know if you're welcome, and it's quite a hike at 240 miles from King's Lynn, to get chased off.

William Coulston
Born 1675 Dowgill, Cliburn Morland, Yorkshire, England

Now, back to learning website development with Xammp for me, with a recent lure of using WordPress.com from another Fatdogger.

-Joel

rufwoof

Re: Can someone explain how to run as spot

#34 Post by rufwoof »

PappyPuppy wrote:I am logged on as root as most Fatdog users would be logged in as.

But it's better to run as spot. I am going to try to run Google Chrome out of a different directory than version 58 as I have version 70 in a new directory I've created. I realize there may be issues with this approach but I want to try it.
In Fatdogs control panel, Updates tab there's a get chrome option that when clicked will create a package in /root that you can then either install or make into a sfs (right click rox options). Works a treat (I've just updated to chrome 70.0.3538.67).

Fatdog is real multi-user, so you can create another userid and log into X using that userid instead of running X as root. That's what I do. Whilst you can su or use gtksu to elevate from user to root within X to run admin tasks, for security reasons I don't, instead I just do admin tasks from the console (with tmux and mc installed along with some dialogs the console can be a nice place to be/use (tip - run the command 'setfont big' if your cli font is too small). There are options again in Control Panel to create additional userid's and/or set how the system logs in/starts up (such as directly auto logging into users X desktop).

Attached is my default console dialog, so to reboot for instance from the X desktop its ctrl-alt-F1 to switch to that terminal/console, press r and then enter. The second image is using mc to make a backup copy of the save folder. And yes they're actual snapshots of the console, not a xterm.
Attachments
fb-console.png
(11.16 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
fb-mc.png
(17.6 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

PappyPuppy

Cool, I hadn't realized that I can simply Update

#35 Post by PappyPuppy »

Thanks - nice to know! And based on the look of your png's, I should improve my boot script for sure. :D

PappyPuppy

One last question if you have a chance Mike

#36 Post by PappyPuppy »

How do I then launch Google Chrome - is there further setting up to do - such as xml or desktop stuff? So far I haven't been able to launch Google Chrome.

And now I will need to install all of my compilers and everything - I guess it's ok to do that from iibiblio and my other ways which is to use repositories. Not reallyworried just thinking about how I will set up my new OS.

PappyPuppy

Quarntined? I meant to post this in my "lost fatdog" thread

#37 Post by PappyPuppy »

v

Mike Walsh

#38 Post by Mike Walsh »

It should simply start from the MenuEntry,,,,,and fairly quickly, too (that's where the 'silent_launch' script in /root/Startup comes into play).

Try

Code: Select all

/home/spot/chrome.sh
.....in the terminal, and see what output you get, if it won't start from the Menu entry.

PappyPuppy

I started Google Chrome from the menu

#39 Post by PappyPuppy »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ PappyPuppy:-

It should simply start from the MenuEntry,,,,,and fairly quickly, too (that's where the 'silent_launch' script in /root/Startup comes into play).

Try

Code: Select all

/home/spot/chrome.sh
.....in the terminal, and see what output you get, if it won't start from the Menu entry.

It runs pretty well although sometimes the URL bar blinks on and off. I'm having troubles with my new Fatdog 7.21. I have no BOOTSTATE file. I tried burning another CD but no improvement to that. I have to seriously think about where to go with this machine - new hard-drive, new CD rom drive, check cables, check memory sticks, wiggle stuff, replace stuff, ... :lol:

I can't just use the SFS package manager and load packages and run them after a reboot. They might load for a while and can be seen in the terminal, but the Rox Filer can never seem them. I don't even have an sfs_load file apparently.

Update:
I might just set up a new machine and gradually copy over any projects and data like photos and videos, txt files with notes, etc.. I can at least browse and look at my files still. It will be hard for me to replace the hard-drive and cd - all in good time I can do it but it might be better to simply set up another machine. My other devel machines are fine.

PappyPuppy

One question

#40 Post by PappyPuppy »

I assume that I'm ok to load the packages' latest version? I don't need the earlier ones?

I just used the sfs package manager and tried to download and load skype - it all went fine in the manager but when I try to launch skype nothing happens.

PappyPuppy

I am attaching a report that I notice some stuff is full

#41 Post by PappyPuppy »

Even though my hard-drive is big, perhaps some partition(s) are full?

I just made a partial report to focus on the hard-drive. The part that perhaps you could check some time would be under "Mounted File systems". I will also take a look.Note that kernel modules, pupr0 and pupr10 are all full. These have packages and stuff - perhaps a small bit of some of the packages or kernel are missing due to clutter? Just a stab in the dark -but I'll scrounge those directories and see if I can see anything. I found my BOOTSTATE file in /etc

Computer
Summary
Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7300 @ 2.66GHz
Memory 8032MB (1090MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Fatdog64 [721]
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Sun Oct 28 07:35:08 2018
Display
Resolution 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Q35
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Audio Devices
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Input Devices
Power Button
Power Button
PixArt USB Optical Mouse
Logitech USB Keyboard
Logitech USB Keyboard
PC Speaker
HDA Digital PCBeep
HDA Intel Mic
HDA Intel Line
HDA Intel Line Out
HDA Intel Front Headphone
Printers
No printers found
SCSI Disks
ATA TOSHIBA DT01ACA1
TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653F
Operating System
Version
Kernel Linux 4.14.12 (x86_64)
Version #1 SMP Tue Jan 9 23:44:49 AEST 2018
C Library GNU C Library version 2.19 (stable)
Distribution Fatdog64 [721]
Current Session
Computer Name fatdog64-a6c
User Name root (root)
Home Directory /root
Desktop Environment Unknown (Window Manager: Openbox)
Misc
Uptime 12 minutes
Load Average 0.06, 0.37, 0.42
Kernel Modules
Loaded Modules
iptable_filter iptables filter table
ip_tables IPv4 packet filter
snd_pcm_oss PCM OSS emulation for ALSA.
snd_mixer_oss Mixer OSS emulation for ALSA.
rfcomm Bluetooth RFCOMM ver 1.11
bnep Bluetooth BNEP ver 1.3
bluetooth Bluetooth Core ver 2.22
ecdh_generic ECDH generic algorithm
ipv6 IPv6 protocol stack for Linux
dcdbas Dell Systems Management Base Driver (version 5.6.0-3.2)
snd_hda_codec_analog Analog Devices HD-audio codec
snd_hda_codec_generic Generic HD-audio codec parser
coretemp Intel Core temperature monitor
hwmon hardware monitoring sysfs/class support
psmouse PS/2 mouse driver
pcspkr PC Speaker beeper driver
i2c_i801 I801 SMBus driver
rt2800usb Ralink RT2800 USB Wireless LAN driver.
joydev Joystick device interfaces
input_leds Input -> LEDs Bridge
rt2x00usb rt2x00 usb library
rt2800lib Ralink RT2800 library
rt2x00lib rt2x00 library
rtl8xxxu RTL8XXXu USB mac80211 Wireless LAN Driver
mac80211 IEEE 802.11 subsystem
i915 Intel Graphics
cfg80211 wireless configuration support
crc_ccitt CRC-CCITT calculations
rfkill RF switch support
lpc_ich LPC interface for Intel ICH
i2c_algo_bit I2C-Bus bit-banging algorithm
snd_hda_intel Intel HDA driver
snd_hda_codec HDA codec core
drm_kms_helper DRM KMS helper
snd_hda_core HD-audio bus
snd_pcm Midlevel PCM code for ALSA.
syscopyarea Generic copyarea (sys-to-sys)
sysfillrect Generic fill rectangle (sys-to-sys)
sysimgblt 1-bit/8-bit to 1-32 bit color expansion (sys-to-sys)
fb_sys_fops Generic file read (fb in system RAM)
e1000e Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver
snd_timer ALSA timer interface
drm DRM shared core routines
snd Advanced Linux Sound Architecture driver for soundcards.
tpm_tis TPM Driver
tpm_tis_core TPM Driver
parport_pc PC-style parallel port driver
ptp PTP clocks support
soundcore Core sound module
pps_core LinuxPPS support (RFC 2783) - ver. 5.3.6
tpm TPM Driver
parport
Boots
Boots
Languages
Available Languages
en_AU English locale for Australia
en_AU.utf8 English locale for Australia
en_US English locale for the USA
en_US.utf8 English locale for the USA
Filesystems
Mounted File Systems
devtmpfs /dev 0.00 % (3.7 GiB of 3.7 GiB)
tmpfs /aufs/pup_init 0.12 % (3.8 GiB of 3.8 GiB)
/dev/loop0 /aufs/kernel-modules 100.00 % (0.0 B of 58.8 MiB)
/dev/loop1 /aufs/pup_ro 100.00 % (0.0 B of 298.4 MiB)
/dev/sda2 /aufs/devsave 23.07 % (716.2 GiB of 931.0 GiB)
/dev/loop2 /aufs/pup_save 2.57 % (29.8 GiB of 30.6 GiB)
aufs / 2.57 % (29.8 GiB of 30.6 GiB)
tmpfs /dev/shm 0.05 % (3.8 GiB of 3.8 GiB)
tmpfs /tmp 0.02 % (3.8 GiB of 3.8 GiB)
/dev/loop10 /aufs/pup_ro10 100.00 % (0.0 B of 27.1 MiB)
Display
Display
Resolution 1280x1024 pixels
Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.19.5
Monitors
Monitor 0 1280x1024 pixels
Extensions
BIG-REQUESTS
Composite
DAMAGE
DOUBLE-BUFFER
DPMS
DRI2
GLX
Generic Event Extension
MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
MIT-SHM
Present
RANDR
RECORD
RENDER
SGI-GLX
SHAPE
SYNC
X-Resource
XC-MISC
XFIXES
XFree86-DGA
XFree86-VidModeExtension
XINERAMA
XInputExtension
XKEYBOARD
XTEST
XVideo
XVideo-MotionCompensation
OpenGL
Vendor Intel Open Source Technology Center
Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Q35
Version 1.4 Mesa 17.2.8
Direct Rendering Y_es
Environment Variables
Environment Variables
BOOTSTATE_PATH /etc/BOOTSTATE
HISTFILESIZE 1000
DEFAULTMEDIAPLAYER /usr/local/bin/defaultmediaplayer
INPUTRC /etc/inputrc
USER root
TEXTDOMAIN fatdog
HOSTNAME fatdog64-a6c
QT5_CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH /opt/qt5/include
LD_LIBRARY_PATH /lib64:/usr/lib64:/usr/local/lib64:/usr/lib64/seamonkey:/lib:/usr/lib:/lib32:/usr/lib32:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/lib32:/opt/qt5/lib64
SHLVL 4
XDG_CACHE_HOME /root/.cache
BROWSER /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser
MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO 1
HOME /root
DEFAULTTEXTEDITOR /usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor
OLDPWD /root
QT_XKB_CONFIG_ROOT /usr/share/X11/xkb
DEFAULTBROWSER /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser
QT5_LD_LIBRARY_PATH /opt/qt5/lib64
ENV /etc/shinit
DEFAULTSPREADSHEET /usr/local/bin/defaultspreadsheet
DEFAULTWORDPROCESSOR /usr/local/bin/defaultwordprocessor
CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH :/opt/qt5/include
MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
MM_RUNASROOT 1
FATDOG_STATE_DIR /root/.fatdog
LOGNAME root
_ /usr/bin/xinit
DEFAULTARCHIVER /usr/local/bin/defaultarchiver
PKG_CONFIG_PATH /usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/opt/qt5/lib64/pkgconfig
TERM linux
XSESSION_ID 10e92910
HISTCONTROL erasedups
WINDOWPATH 4
QT5DIR /opt/qt5
PATH /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/opt/qt5/bin
RGBDEF /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt
G_FILENAME_ENCODING @locale
DISPLAY :0
LANG en_US.UTF-8
XDG_DATA_HOME /root/.local/share
XDG_CONFIG_HOME /root/.config
SHELL /bin/sh
DEFAULTHTMLEDITOR /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmleditor
TEXTDOMAINDIR /usr/share/locale
PWD /root
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS /etc/xdg
XDG_DATA_DIRS /usr/share:/usr/local/share
QT5_PKG_CONFIG_PATH /opt/qt5/lib64/pkgconfig
DEFAULTDRAW /usr/local/bin/defaultdraw
DEFAULTPAINT /usr/local/bin/defaultpaint
TZ :/etc/localtime
EDITOR geany
QT5_PATH /opt/qt5/bin
OUTPUT_CHARSET UTF-8
Development
Scripting Languages
CPython Not found
Perl Not found
PHP Not found
Ruby Not found
Bash 4.3.42(1)-release
Compilers
C (GCC) Not found
C (Clang) Not found
D (dmd) Not found
Java Not found
CSharp (Mono, old) Not found
CSharp (Mono) Not found
Vala Not found
Haskell (GHC) Not found
FreePascal Not found
Tools
make Not found
GDB Not found
strace 4.8
valgrind Not found
QMake Not found
Users
Users
root root
daemon
bin bin
lp lp
sshd sshd
avahi avahi
avahi-autoipd avahi-autoipd
haldaemon Hardware abstraction layer
nobody
spot Spot the Happy Dog
messagebus Dbus User
webuser Webserver User
ftp FTP server
Groups
Groups
root 0
daemon 1
bin 2
tty 3
uucp 10
disk 11
audio 17
video 18
dip 30
sshd 33
kvm 40
avahi 50
avahi-autoipd 51
lp 111
lpadmin 112
netdev 113
haldaemon 119
scanner 130
ppp 200
nobody 65534
users 500
guest 501
spot 502
messagebus 503
webgroup 504
ftp 1000
vboxusers 1001
Last edited by PappyPuppy on Sun 28 Oct 2018, 14:54, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#42 Post by Mike Walsh »

I believe the other way you could do it would be to download the .pet package of Chrome 70. I understand FatDog has a 'pet-to-.tgz', which converts .pets to the .tgz format FatDog uses?

Unfortunately, when you start talking about 'BOOTSTATE' files in FatDog, that's getting beyond me; I've tried it before now, but basically me and FatDog just don't get on!

That's where you need help from the FatDog experts...

------------------------------------------

As for the file-systems, I'm no expert with those, but I do know, from experience, that many of those 'loop' and 'tmpfs' systems are created by Puppy (probably FatDog, too) at boot, and are exclusively for the system's use. They're always full, because they hold the various parts of the layered file-system, and are only made big enough to hold what's needed.

DO NOT, whatever you do, mess about with them; there's no point. They're created at boot, and disappear into thin air at shut down.....and since they're read from a 'read-only' (ro) file, even if you altered them during the course of a session, they would be re-created, the same as they were before, at next boot.

PappyPuppy

Thanks, I understand your a puppy user

#43 Post by PappyPuppy »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ PappyPuppy:-

I believe the other way you could do it would be to download the .pet package of Chrome 70. I understand FatDog has a 'pet-to-.tgz', which converts .pets to the .tgz format FatDog uses?

Unfortunately, when you start talking about 'BOOTSTATE' files in FatDog, that's getting beyond me; I've tried it before now, but basically me and FatDog just don't get on!

That's where you need help from the FatDog experts...

------------------------------------------

As for the file-systems, I'm no expert with those, but I do know, from experience, that many of those 'loop' and 'tmpfs' systems are created by Puppy (probably FatDog, too) at boot, and are exclusively for the system's use. They're always full, because they hold the various parts of the layered file-system, and are only made big enough to hold what's needed.

DO NOT, whatever you do, mess about with them; there's no point. They're created at boot, and disappear into thin air at shut down.....and since they're read from a 'read-only' (ro) file, even if you altered them during the course of a session, they would be re-created, the same as they were before, at next boot.

Thanks, I gathered that it was probably normal that they were full, after all, why would they be that way - just because I downloaded skype - which is the one in r10. :lol: Well, I need to get an sfs_load process to really work or find out why it doesn't. Or build a new machine and see if the same problem exists. Having a 2nd machine would be a good idea at this point - perhaps I have one lying in the basement or I have to spring a little cash and buy one. Most of my machines are in use all the time.

Having a 2nd machine might make it easier to compare files and directories to see what is normal and abnormal, particularly if the 2nd machine is "normal".

I just downloaded Qt creator 5.6.1 just to test and see if it would run and it in fact ran. It runs from the menu launcher. So it's there. So some packages will run - the question is will the Autoloader load it on next boot?
And I can see the files from Qt in Opt in the file manager. Maybe the packages from gcc and all were the problem. I forgot to let you go off this thread, sorry. :lol:Just as a last thought though - the fact that I can see Qt and run it means that some packages will load and run. Just not properly the compiler and stuff for some reason perhaps.